PDA

View Full Version : 2008 22' classic, gel question

HaxbySpeed
12-05-2008, 05:11 PM
I've got a customers boat with some pretty serious dock rash, the glass guy cannot match the factory white gel. It looks perfect until the final wet sand and then it turns a little yellow compared to the original. I talked to Jamie at Lakeside, who was very helpfull, but he cannot ship gel across the border and Donzi in the past has taken a couple months to send a little bit of matching gel for warranty stuff... Can anyone send me some, or help my glass guy match it? I also can't get the white plastic receiver for the rub rail in canada either, and the dealer I got the boat from is not presently doing business... Help.. Thanks, Alex :(

Hull ID: US-DNAC20521708

604 315 0570

glassdave
12-05-2008, 06:48 PM
Find out if he is using any kind of additive like Duratec. It should be just a bright white gel, i think it was Nestie Cutty White or it was a few years ago anyway. How much do you need? i have a bright white Ashland on hand that i could spare some of. How close to the border are you? could it be shipped close an picked up?

Find out exactly what he is using now and how its being applied. Whites can vary their color by how they were applied

Offshore Ginger
12-05-2008, 08:11 PM
HaxbySpeed ,just curious have you thought of getting on SPECTURM color's www.spectrumcolor.com web site , i was l@@kong thru my 08 catalog and they offer any color needed for your donzi but they can be a little pricey and you you might want to contact Donzi directly to assist in identifiying the color on the boat you are repairing and if you decide to call you just might want to have the hull id number available along with make ,model ,year and length which would be very helpful :)

HaxbySpeed
12-05-2008, 09:01 PM
Thanks guys. I'm only half an hour from the border. I'm trying to find somewhere on the US side where I can get it shipped. All the repairs are done, I just need enough to spray a couple square feet on the bow.. And a new glass guy... :sifone:

Buoy
12-05-2008, 09:30 PM
What's the problem in shipping across the border??
Because it's a HAZ/MAT item??
I've been dealing with international HAZ/MAT shipping for the past 6 yrs.
It's tricky, but not nearly impossible to get done in a timely manner.
Is this a service this industry needs?
I'm kind of looking for a new gig, and I have some experience in this.
Just thinking of what to do next.
Carrying things across the borders without proper papers is serious chit, and can result in HUGE fines for both the "party offering for shipment", as well as the carrier, and the receiver.
I've sat in an office with an Agent before because my shipper F-ed up on paperwork. That is not fun. Not in the least.
I apologize for the hi-jack.
It's a matter of knowing the proper packaging, and the paperwork - complete PITA.
I used to have to ship a material from the US to France by Air, so that it could be trucked to Portugal, and then picked up by Jaun & his son in a mule driven cart to bring it into Portugal...OK, slight exageration (or maybe not...),
But I've dealt with this crap in the past.

Lakeside
12-13-2008, 04:09 PM
Alex,

I receive your email & I will touch base with you this coming week on what I can come up with. I will firm up some prices once Donzi gets back in..

Talk to you again soon.. :) Jamie / Lakeside

Lakeside
12-13-2008, 04:32 PM
Also, yes duratec & some other additives, even styrene or patch aid can sometimes tint the color or dilute the color, especially if too much of one of them is used. There is a little bit of an art form to doing this stuff.. :ack2:

Also Donzi has had so many different whites it isn't even funny. Without pulling my book from Donzi I think if I remember correctly :huh: in 1999 they had 2 or 3 different vendors for thier white!:boxing_smiley:.. Jamie / Lakeside

Lakeside
12-13-2008, 04:37 PM
What's the problem in shipping across the border??
Because it's a HAZ/MAT item??
I've been dealing with international HAZ/MAT shipping for the past 6 yrs.
It's tricky, but not nearly impossible to get done in a timely manner.
Is this a service this industry needs?
I'm kind of looking for a new gig, and I have some experience in this.
Just thinking of what to do next.
Carrying things across the borders without proper papers is serious chit, and can result in HUGE fines for both the "party offering for shipment", as well as the carrier, and the receiver.
I've sat in an office with an Agent before because my shipper F-ed up on paperwork. That is not fun. Not in the least.
I apologize for the hi-jack.
It's a matter of knowing the proper packaging, and the paperwork - complete PITA.
I used to have to ship a material from the US to France by Air, so that it could be trucked to Portugal, and then picked up by Jaun & his son in a mule driven cart to bring it into Portugal...OK, slight exageration (or maybe not...),
But I've dealt with this crap in the past.

Buoy, Yes the shipping can be a PITA for stuff leaving the country. I really hate all the paperwork that goes along with it & calculating duties, etc... For a lot of small things it's not usually to bad for us to ship out, but the bigger some things are, or if they are irregualar sharped packages or Hazmat it can be a nightmare. Also there are some countries that no matter what it is we will not sell or ship to.. :) J