PDA

View Full Version : Tragic loss In Key West

JRB
11-10-2011, 08:26 PM
Veteran racer and owner of Big Thunder Marine boat, Robert (Bob) Morgan and his driver Jeffery (JT) Tillman lost their lives Nov. 9, 2011 after a violent accident at the SBI Key West Worlds. Their boat was coming into the harbor turn when the bow started to raise and flipped over landing upside down.

The OSS Board Chairman issued the following statement,

"On behalf of the Teams, National Staff and Board of Directors of the Offshore Super Series, we would like to send our condolences to the families and crew of the Big Thunder Team, who lost Bob Morgan and Jeffery Tillman today in Key West. Both men will be missed and were true gentlemen and legends in the offshore fraternity. On a personal note, Bob's passing greatly distresses myself, Ruth, Dennis, Monica, Charlie and Leah as we raced with my brother-in-law, Randy Linebach, Bob and his wife Sue for 3 years under the Airborne/Big Thunder colors. Bob and Jeff will truly be missed."

Michael E. Mares
Offshore Super Series
Forever 24 and Forever 100

Donskihp
11-10-2011, 08:43 PM
Yea that really sucks,and they will be greatly missed! Does anyone know any details, like delamination of the boat ( like the Victory boat) or was it just such a violent impact the the human body just can't handle it?

Buoy
11-10-2011, 09:04 PM
Yea that really sucks,and they will be greatly missed! Does anyone know any details, like delamination of the boat ( like the Victory boat) or was it just such a violent impact the the human body just can't handle it?

I really shouldn't even say this, because by now I'm certain that all the arm-chair quarterbacks are already posting all over the internet...
From the 3 videos I watched (which were really hard to watch, even before we knew that the outcome was final), it just looked like the boat caught some air and kited. It was probably a bit stern-heavy with four big motors, and four #6's on the transom.

Such a shame.
My thoughts and condolences are with the family members, friends, and team members that are enduring the loss, as well as the loss to the racing community.
Rest in Peace Gentlemen.

Offshore Ginger
11-11-2011, 09:38 AM
Bouy, i agree with you 100% on your comment about all the arm-chair quaterbacks posting all over the internet who...... seem to know everything about this incident on speculation only ,and yes it is a great loss to the sport ........................