PDA

View Full Version : Plugging old holes in stringers

YankeY
12-04-2008, 09:57 PM
I'm new around here, but I lurk...A LOT.

I am looking for good way to plug some holes in the stringers from the old batteryboxes. I want to make sure they are sealed and protected from any water intrusion.

Also - is there any tips for making sure the new holes are sealed before the new bolts go in?

Thanks for any help or advise

glassdave
12-04-2008, 10:07 PM
Welcome aboard. How big are the holes? And what kind if boat is it? West Systems 404 is great for filling larger type screw holes.

Offshore Ginger
12-04-2008, 10:31 PM
I'm new around here, but I lurk...A LOT.

I am looking for good way to plug some holes in the stringers from the old batteryboxes. I want to make sure they are sealed and protected from any water intrusion.

Also - is there any tips for making sure the new holes are sealed before the new bolts go in?

Thanks for any help or advise just something i have done over the years and that is fill the holes in with epoxy putty mixed with capasill which is a thickining agent , sand or lightly grind the hole and the perimeter and put a few layers of chezze cloth on it , or what some people call finish fabric .

phragle
12-04-2008, 10:33 PM
yep but get a big syringe and squit some of the unthinkened epoxy in the hole first, it will soak into the pours of the wood and give a little better penetration

YankeY
12-05-2008, 12:43 AM
Holes are approximately .500" - Boat is 1988 Cigarette Bullet

Are these items I can find...?

phragle
12-05-2008, 12:46 AM
any west marine should have it

phragle
12-05-2008, 12:47 AM
I just saw your in cleveland, is the boat inside or outside? PM me your number and I can explain it or I have some free time comming up in about 2 weeks..

MOBILEMERCMAN
12-05-2008, 01:01 AM
Another way given the holes are 1/2 inch is to epoxy in a wooden dowel. Under size just enough to cap ends with a thicken mix of epoxy.

New holes. if water will lay against holes use 5200. If not any basic caulk will work.

YankeY
12-05-2008, 09:49 AM
Thanks for the help...everyone I appreciate the responses.

PM sent