PDA

View Full Version : Edge Insight cts or cs?

BDC1013
06-23-2011, 10:33 AM
friend just picked up a 05 F-250 Lariat Crew short bed. Looking to help him out with upgrading it, :sifone: need a tow rig some day for my boat right?

I was looking at the Edge Insight cts or cs... any suggestions or experiance?

old377guy
06-23-2011, 11:22 AM
I had never heard of those before, Brian. Sure looks interesting.

rschap1
06-23-2011, 11:33 AM
Programmer(chip) right?

BDC1013
06-23-2011, 07:12 PM
yep its a in cab on the fly programmer/ display of engine vitals and such.

Tony
07-17-2011, 08:31 AM
I have the cts, the screen is larger than the ct. The amount of info it displays will blow your mind. I bought it mainly to monitor the temp differential between the engine oil and the coolant (critical for detecting the beginning of an egr failure on the 6.0s). BTW, the insight isnt a programmer.

jwurl
07-17-2011, 11:30 AM
I run a Duramax, so I can not comment on Ford tuners. All I can say is I have run both Banks and Edge tuners on my truck. I would buy a Banks tuner. Much better for towing and fuel economy. There was no power difference between the two. Jeff Wurl

Tony
07-17-2011, 01:19 PM
Read this thread: http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f21/budget-6-0l-build-279916/

Follow the advice given by ex mounty and your 6.0 will last a long time. When it comes to chiping, tuning, or otherwise modding a 6.0 for increased HP, the general consensus is to leave it the hell alone. The stock EGR system, along with the stock coolant, and head bolts do not respond well to horesepower mods. At best, do a turbo or cat back exhaust and buy an insight, or similar to monitor the engine vitals, early detection of EGR and coolant problems can save you thousands of dollars in repair bills. Dont waste your time or $$ with trying to upgrade the air intake system, the oem setup will support up to 500 hp.

There is an endless amount of knowledge and advice on the diesel stop forums, take a little time to educate yourself and hopefully you wont be one of those guys crying the blues about their fubared 6.0.

BDC1013
07-21-2011, 01:28 PM
Thanks guys I'll look into it. Seems like there is quite a few small things that can go a long way with the 6.0's.

BDC1013
07-21-2011, 01:42 PM
That's a great thread by ex mounty... lots of numbers to remember. I wonder if you can set certain temp warnings on the cts monitor to warn you if a certain temp is over a limit that you set it at. ???

Trim'd Up
07-21-2011, 05:56 PM
I have the insight CS, but it is just gauges. It is a general consensus that the shift on the fly programmers are not too friendly with the torqueshift transmission behind the 6.0. IF you want a tuner, get an SCT with custom tunes. I have tunes from Innovative diesel, and Gearhead Automotive Performance. I run Gearheads SRL as my everyday driver, the power is killer as well as the shifting, and the mileage. The tow tune from innovative is really good, but I really don't care for the other tunes I have from them.

Tony
07-22-2011, 08:10 AM
. I wonder if you can set certain temp warnings on the cts monitor to warn you if a certain temp is over a limit that you set it at. ???

Yes, you can set, high and low alarms for just about everything.

Tony
07-22-2011, 10:07 AM
One other thing, with the Insight, if you want to moniter EGT, fuel pressure, and a few other odd ball things. You will have to buy the EAS add ons for each item.

BDC1013
07-22-2011, 01:13 PM
Yes, you can set, high and low alarms for just about everything.

very cool

One other thing, with the Insight, if you want to moniter EGT, fuel pressure, and a few other odd ball things. You will have to buy the EAS add ons for each item.

I was thinking of maybe a turbo timer, so you dont have to sit in the cab while the turbo and EGT come down to 350. But like you said... still need to install a EGT bung and install a sensor.