PDA

View Full Version : Filler between hull and deck?????

Johnny Venomous
03-01-2011, 07:10 PM
Have some space between my deck and hull under the rubrail that I want to fill with something solid, strong and permanent. I also need to shoot it up into the cavities and not have it run out. Thinking something that I can shoot out of a caulk gun like liquids nails or something. Any ideas would be a big help

Thanks

Offshore Ginger
03-01-2011, 08:12 PM
John , 3m #4200 is a one part general purpose PU with good adhesion to wood ,fiberglass,gelcoat ,plastics and metals for above and below the water line which works great , and then there is 5200 which also is a very good product that offers a much better adhesion to the same materials , which can , and will be a real bear down the road........... if you ever decide on taking something apart .

MOBILEMERCMAN
03-01-2011, 09:04 PM
I agree both good choices.. I would tape over it to make sure they don't ooze out though.

Lakeside
03-02-2011, 07:10 AM
If you want something more permanent & less flexible west 610 epoxy is already in a caulk type tube & mixes itself as you dispense it. :) J

Johnny Venomous
03-02-2011, 01:40 PM
West 610 sounds like the ticket thanks guys

Offshore Ginger
03-02-2011, 05:05 PM
Johnny , i would like to mention that 610 is an Epoxy based product which will need some prepping of the surface to insure a good bond . Johnny , the reason i am bringing this to your attenion is .............. because i have seen people use this product and have it fail because the surface was not properly prepped .

Lakeside
03-02-2011, 05:48 PM
Artie, You are correct.. I forget to mention that.:eek:

It is very important that the surface is clean and properly prepped for good adhesion. Otherwise it is still pretty srong stuff, but the bond may not be.. :)

Jamie

Offshore Ginger
03-02-2011, 06:57 PM
Artie, You are correct.. I forget to mention that.:eek:

It is very important that the surface is clean and properly prepped for good adhesion. Otherwise it is still pretty srong stuff, but the bond may not be.. :)

Jamie Jamie , its all good and yes it is some pretty strong stuff.