PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on this boat

ICDEDPPL
12-07-2010, 07:14 PM
I know nothing about outboards.. more trouble/less trouble? I`m good at breaking drives.. how do outboards hold up to stress?

I like the set up since theres more room with the outdrives outback..

Also it has been in salt water.. probably why its priced lower for a 32' boat?

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifieds/32_hustler_with_twin_mercury_300x_and_myco_trailer-o35275-en.html

thanx
Dan

B.Z.
12-07-2010, 07:25 PM
I know nothing about outboards.. more trouble/less trouble? I`m good at breaking drives.. how do outdrives hold up to stress?

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifieds/32_hustler_with_twin_mercury_300x_and_myco_trailer-o35275-en.html

thanx
Dan

O.K. how many drives have you broken????

:grouphug:

ICDEDPPL
12-07-2010, 07:41 PM
Less than you?:D
I would like more room even if I never break another drive regardless

B.Z.
12-07-2010, 09:33 PM
O.K. I like the more room thing but the drive deal......LOL

waycoolmarine
12-07-2010, 09:54 PM
outboards are great weight to hp ratio basicly no winterizing they are self draining.cheaper to run and fix when something does go wrong. I had tripple 2.5 race motors on a 33 powerplay very cool that set up you had to mix oil with the gas but it sounded so cool. and I blew 1 of them so had all 3 rebuilt for under 10g with block repairs on 1 motor. drive problems should be a thing of the past

Donskihp
12-07-2010, 11:07 PM
You didn't break you new Teague platinum upper do you?

ICDEDPPL
12-08-2010, 01:26 AM
outboards are great weight to hp ratio basicly no winterizing they are self draining.cheaper to run and fix when something does go wrong. I had tripple 2.5 race motors on a 33 powerplay very cool that set up you had to mix oil with the gas but it sounded so cool. and I blew 1 of them so had all 3 rebuilt for under 10g with block repairs on 1 motor. drive problems should be a thing of the past

The more I read the more I like em! Thank you for the info.
B.Z. I don`t enjoy spending the money and the time without a boat during a already short season. 2 drives in one year leaves me wanting anything BUT a bravo out back in my next boat.

Don, no that drive is fine hardly broken in.
First one was just a regular bravo that was on the boat when I bought it.
Second one I got some awesome advice :rolleyes: to build a drive using XZ helical gears instead of XR gears. After those basically stripped every tooth he says well if you have the power to break them .. ahh nevermind I`m getting pisssed just thinking about it,,,, these ****in so called internet gurus :banghead:

MILD THUNDER
12-08-2010, 08:11 AM
Keep in mind, a 600HP blower motor will be harder on drives that a 600HP naturally aspirated one! I had a single 540CI 600HP in front of a bravo x drive. No problems, but had to drive it like a wus. My buddies 31 Bullet had 600HP N/A motors in front of bravo x drives, 130 hours, no drive problems.

With that being said, some boats/setups just eat drives! BZ's Fountain and my old 402 Formula=drive busters!

I'd say pick a fast hull that dont need big power to run (easier on drives) or if you like big power, SSM drives.

I like that 33 powerplay out west that has teague motors, and ssm IV drives on boxes. Also comes with a spare pair of drives. That boat has got to run like a RAPED APE. 100mph and 33 powerplays are superb rough water boats for their size..

Saw you were looking at a 357 Formula, if looking to go that big, check out a 35 cafe racer cig! Or maybe even a baja 36 outlaw like obnoxus has which is a cigarette designed hull. Dennis boat is very roomy, and nice stabbin cabin..

According to my merc racing brochure from a while back, the biggest you could get with the bravo drive was 525SC. The 600sc shows only available with ssm IIIA or SSM V. The 600SC in front of a IIIA or V would be a bulletproof combo.

redhotsommer
12-08-2010, 09:30 AM
Hahahaha! Just saw your "Reason for edit". Hahahaha!

Saw your boat for sale last week Dan and I was worried you were getting out...I'm glad to see you are just trying to go bigger. That makes me smile.

Tony M
12-08-2010, 09:50 AM
I know nothing about outboards.. more trouble/less trouble? I`m good at breaking drives.. how do outboards hold up to stress?

thanx
Dan You Just Like The Last Picture on that Hustler ! :reddevil:.
Dam mine is up for sale nice to keep it in the hood if we could , its all naturel 81 mph @ 647hp 680tq, pluss or minus water conditions

Twin Whackas
12-08-2010, 10:30 AM
I have run an outboard boat for the last 5 to 6 years. They are a lot easier to maintain, but things do break on them. The only good thing is when things do break, it is normally much cheaper to fix than the big inboards. I do not beat on my stuff, but I do run it hard and it has been a good 5/6 years of boating with very few problems. The funny thing is, is I am actually going to be looking to trade mine in the spring to go back to I/O power.

Magic Medicine
12-08-2010, 11:23 AM
You Just Like The Last Picture on that Hustler ! :reddevil:.
Dam mine is up for sale nice to keep it in the hood if we could , its all naturel 81 mph @ 647hp 680tq, pluss or minus water conditions

Not to bust balls but a 25' AT is going to ride better than most 25-28' boats.
If I were looking in the low 30' range a 32 AT would be towards the top of my list!!!!

MILD THUNDER
12-08-2010, 11:35 AM
Not to bust balls but a 25' AT is going to ride better than most 25-28' boats.
If I were looking in the low 30' range a 32 AT would be towards the top of my list!!!!

I agree. Problem is trying to find a 32 active thunder.31 Sonic, 32 hustler, 33 powerplay, 33 avs scarab, 33 outlaw, 33 zx donzi, 31 cig bullet are all nice boats

Magic Medicine
12-08-2010, 11:40 AM
I know where a 32' Little show is thats for sale for cheap money

B.Z.
12-08-2010, 11:50 AM
Hahahaha! Just saw your "Reason for edit". Hahahaha!

Saw your boat for sale last week Dan and I was worried you were getting out...I'm glad to see you are just trying to go bigger. That makes me smile.

Hey That's not nice!!!!! LOL well I will try to upgrade to IV boat next time blowing up Bravo's is not fun...but I have become very good at getting them back together with Big D's help!!!!

MILD THUNDER
12-08-2010, 12:42 PM
I know where a 32' Little show is thats for sale for cheap money

T
I got a place that insures tonys 41....his has smaller power, but shouldn't be a prob for yours.

rchevelle71
12-08-2010, 01:38 PM
Love the outboards, once you have them you will never go back, but keep in mind that even thought the ad says 300xs, it should read twin 300x(at least from the pics,look at the cowling decals), those are Promax motors, not optimax xs, good motor, but nowhere near as good on fuel as the 300xs optimax.

ICDEDPPL
12-08-2010, 10:07 PM
Good info.. guess I`ll see if mine sells first, I only have it listed on OSO.
It would be a perfect boat for the Chain of Wakes .. I should try to advertise it there after the holidays.

This guy sent me more pics (33 Powerplay), its got U shaped seating which gets my wifes nipples hard and looks to be all redone.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifieds/33_sportdeck-o36788-en.html

Can`t believe I already have the itch to upgrade after a season and a half, im ****in DE DE DEEEE
I should have just went 10' out with the garage

Magic whats this 32' you tease with???:p

Magic Medicine
12-09-2010, 08:51 AM
It would be a perfect boat for the Chain of Wakes .. I should try to advertise it there after the holidays.

This guy sent me more pics (33 Powerplay), its got U shaped seating which gets my wifes nipples hard and looks to be all redone.

Can`t believe I already have the itch to upgrade after a season and a half, im ****in DE DE DEEEE

Mine of course I lose interest in boats after the first season:boobflash:

MILD THUNDER
12-09-2010, 09:03 AM
Mine of course I lose interest in boats after the first season:boobflash:

:_boobies: :huh:

rchevelle71
12-09-2010, 11:49 AM

Nice ride, I kinda know that boat also, saw it in Miami a few times. i believe those are 300x motors also, not a bad thing, but the 300xs is WAYYYYYYY better on fuel.

ICDEDPPL
01-31-2011, 10:52 PM
I like that 33 powerplay out west that has teague motors, and ssm IV drives on boxes. Also comes with a spare pair of drives. That boat has got to run like a RAPED APE. 100mph and 33 powerplays are superb rough water boats for their size..

Saw you were looking at a 357 Formula, if looking to go that big, check out a 35 cafe racer cig! Or maybe even a baja 36 outlaw like obnoxus has which is a cigarette designed hull. Dennis boat is very roomy, and nice stabbin cabin..

You`re right on, I went looking around to GSC and Shogrens and was really impressed with the room of the 36 Outlaw.. the 38 special was unbelievably roomy, its like a cruiser!
They have a 35 Outlaw there with a wild paintjob that was just awesome! Way out of my price range at $114K but just awesome.

After seeing the Bajas im not sure id be happy with all the other boats i`ve been considering. Is it just me or is even a 32 AT small compared to the OUTLAW (cockpitwise)

http://glennphotography.smugmug.com/Boats/MWBP-Poker-Run-2009/DSC6738/585952063_DUSZR-XL.jpg

Theres like 8 people in there!

http://glennphotography.smugmug.com/Boats/MWBP-Poker-Run-2009/DSC6746/585954178_6ZQvz-XL.jpg

You could fit a serious party in this bitch!

http://glennphotography.smugmug.com/Boats/MWBP-Poker-Run-2009/DSC6767/589104518_bMZRw-XL.jpg

redhotsommer
01-31-2011, 11:00 PM
Talk to Obnoxus. He's had a 38 and a 36. Likes the 36 waaaaay more. I LOVE that they set up the 4 bolster cockpit as an option...always thought that'd be pretty cool.

ICDEDPPL
01-31-2011, 11:48 PM
Really!?!? Thats interesting

OBNOXUS
02-01-2011, 12:54 AM
Put it this way,,,,,, I owned the 38 for 2 weeks

ICDEDPPL
02-01-2011, 01:46 AM
Wow thats a shame I really love the set up.. so what was so bad? Ride? Speed?
Engine access seems like a real bitch

redhotsommer
02-01-2011, 08:52 AM
The 36 was originally a Cigarette hull. When Dennis isn't pussing out, tabbing down and stuffing waves, it really handles rough water well.

OBNOXUS
02-01-2011, 09:16 AM
Wow thats a shame I really love the set up.. so what was so bad? Ride? Speed?
Engine access seems like a real bitch

We bought a 272 brand new in 1997, and there was a 38 special on the showroom floor.

That was the drool over, end all be all of what we wanted, layout , amenities,,, all the room, and still a performance boat.

Fast forward 10 years, can finally afford one, had a trailer built for it drove out to Ohio picked it up couldnt wait to get on the water.

Idled out of the marina pulled on plane made a turn and went through a couple waves and we both just kinda looked at each other.

Again, great boat,,,,, lots of room, but handles a bit to much like a cruiser for me, I like the "sporty " feel better.

And yes, I stuffed the 36 last summer with some " novice " boaters in back in some big water when I should have let it fly more !!!

ICDEDPPL
02-01-2011, 11:39 AM
Ok well thats good info I can take it off my list (was out of my price range pretty much anyway) So Dennis how you like the 36 Outlaw?
I`m looking for something sporty but roomy.
I still like the 33 Powerplay but my wife thinks its too shallow and she wouldnt feel safe. I don`t know how true that is not that it matters cause there just isnt any for sale with outboards anyway.

I thought about a 32' AT not sure if I`d be happy with the amount of room. Theres a early 1990 without power if I could get for $25K and throw in some motor could be a good deal in the end..
35' cafes seem nice too.. theres some 1990`s that have been redone for sale in my price range (about $50K)damn theres too many choices and Mild the "boat Whisperer" :D keeps finding the deals.
Thanx Joe for all your help!!

redhotsommer
02-01-2011, 11:53 AM
Yeah...Joe is great for that! hahahaha! I looked a lot at Cafes before I bought the Fountain...would have bought one if my boat had sold to a private buyer...instead I traded at a dealer. Great hull, nice interior...but they are pretty heavy. Look for something with newer or upgraded drives...it would be worth your while. I'd think you could get a way newer Outlaw for the $$ of a Cafe?

BTW...the "shallow" rear bench is a MAJOR turnoff for me...my Powerquest was pretty shallow, and in rough water, the people in the back don't feel too safe.

MILD THUNDER
02-01-2011, 11:58 AM
How about that 380 Powerquest with fresh 600SC mercs and ssm V drives?????

Magic Medicine
02-01-2011, 12:50 PM
32' AT is a hell of a boat, less room than a 36' Outlaw but that is a bigger boat!!!!
I think both boats are great choices, 36' Baja will take some decent power to run fast. That PQ Mild mentioned seems interesting!!!! In my opinion, your better to spend the money up front to get what you want rather than trying to upgrade what you buy or spending money on a fixer up er

drpete3
02-01-2011, 12:50 PM
A friend of mine has his Baja 302 for sale for 65K and its loaded including blue 500 efi motors. Its a super nice boat that runs in the low 80's and pretty sure he just listed it on ebay. Just a thought

drpete3
02-01-2011, 12:52 PM
32' AT is a hell of a boat, less room than a 36' Outlaw but that is a bigger boat!!!!
I think both boats are great choices, 36' Baja will take some decent power to run fast. That PQ Mild mentioned seems interesting!!!! In my opinion, your better to spend the money up front to get what you want rather than trying to upgrade what you buy or spending money on a fixer up er

And yes buy what you want becasue in the end you will spend much less money that way

ICDEDPPL
02-01-2011, 03:16 PM
How about that 380 Powerquest with fresh 600SC mercs and ssm V drives?????

That is a great deal especially with those drives.. from experience those are pretty thirsty motors, not too crazy about the teal wife says I`d have to strip it all off lol ...but beggars can`t be choosers, I`ll have to take a trip out there to check it out.

MILD THUNDER
02-01-2011, 03:40 PM

:iagree:

:_boobies:

MILD THUNDER
02-01-2011, 03:46 PM
That is a great deal especially with those drives.. from experience those are pretty thirsty motors, not too crazy about the teal wife says I`d have to strip it all off lol ...but beggars can`t be choosers, I`ll have to take a trip out there to check it out.

Plenty of Room, nice stabbin cabin, and i bet it runs real respectable and reliable with that motor/drive package. merc also offered the SSM V package with the 800SC mills. So overpowering them with 600SC's wont be a issue. Lots of guys ran 900-1000HP thru them with good results. So if you ever decided to bolt on intercoolers or larger blowers, your good to go!

redhotsommer
02-01-2011, 03:54 PM
Interior on a 38 PQ is just awesome. TONS of room...think Formula or NorTech room...

OBNOXUS
02-01-2011, 05:35 PM
I love the 36,,,, lots of room,,,,rides great,,,,but its not a very fast hull.

Its all depending on what you want

ICDEDPPL
02-01-2011, 06:57 PM
You guys think the 38 PQ would ride like the .38 Special thou?
It is a serious drive train thats for sure no more broken drives:beatdeadhorse5:
I like speed but its secondary to me now, with two small kids its just not a priority . I think 70mph would be fine with me.
Ride quality (wave crushing) and room are on top of my list.
My AT can go fast but not in any kind of bigger water so whats the point.

Joe did the performance brokerage place that has that Formula ever get back to you after your awesome email?:D

10x
02-01-2011, 07:07 PM
As long as speed is secondary on your list, I'd go for the PQ. It'll probably give you the ride you and the wife are lookin for in the rough water. (If you're plannin on runnin lake Michigan) The kids would probably be more comfortable in it too. Just my $.02 :cool:

specialk
02-01-2011, 08:11 PM
The 38 Powerquest is an awesome boat but you should try to stick with 01 and up. 97 and older were straight hulls. Good, but slower than the stepped hull that started in 98ish. The first step hull models had some problems with the strakes in the hull. They were modifying them some how to fix the problem. 30 foot baja is a cool boat but your 25 AT probably rides about the same or better in lake michigan. Be careful buying a project boat. It will eat up cash super fast. I was super impressed with the ride of 36 outlaw that Dennis has. If you have the truck to pull it and a place to keep it, the 36 would be the way to go, bang for the buck. I'm sure Dennis would entertain a trade for his...LOL

ICDEDPPL
02-01-2011, 08:29 PM
Thank you for all the replies..

Heres another one the Boat Whisperer says is a great set up.. looks like it was owned by bobbarker from OSO. Last he posted was '06 then got repoed. I like the power/drive combo.:26:

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifieds/1989_formaul_f_357_100_restored_all_trades_considered_price_lowered-o37798-en.html

I`m liking the 35-36 outlaw more and more...

MILD THUNDER
02-01-2011, 10:58 PM
You guys think the 38 PQ would ride like the .38 Special thou?
It is a serious drive train thats for sure no more broken drives:beatdeadhorse5:
I like speed but its secondary to me now, with two small kids its just not a priority . I think 70mph would be fine with me.
Ride quality (wave crushing) and room are on top of my list.
My AT can go fast but not in any kind of bigger water so whats the point.

Joe did the performance brokerage place that has that Formula ever get back to you after your awesome email?:D

Yea, he said its ready to go. Some small marina in springfield bought it, and cant sell it. I guess they deal mostly in small boats. Basically, he said the guy wants it gone. He said it is "perfect, no dissapointments.

10x
02-02-2011, 01:41 AM
Thank you for all the replies..

Heres another one the Boat Whisperer says is a great set up.. looks like it was owned by bobbarker from OSO. Last he posted was '06 then got repoed. I like the power/drive combo.:26:

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifieds/1989_formaul_f_357_100_restored_all_trades_considered_price_lowered-o37798-en.html

I`m liking the 35-36 outlaw more and more...

Nice Formula !!! Great price for the money. Those boats have a great ride.

Magic Medicine
02-02-2011, 09:32 AM
I think u should add Donzi zx to ur list. Floating condos

MILD THUNDER
02-02-2011, 10:21 AM
That 357 Formula, is probably one of the best equipped older 357's out there, power wise. And it looks like a really clean boat. Price is not bad considering it has 572's, stellings exhaust, and ssm drives.

Ride wise, i would think its comparable to a 36 outlaw. 24 degree straight heavy V bottom. If I remember right, it ran right around 80mph. The 38 PQ, will have more headroom in the cabin, and probably a little deeper cockpit, due to the raised deck design. Both boats are close in overall length. That 357 became the 382 model in formulas lineup, once they started including the swim platform in the LOA. But, if you can get that Formula for almost 1/2 the price, it sounds like it might be the way to go. It was a freshwater boat from ohio.

Top speed might not be a main concern, but cruising speed is nice. My big old Formula did 70mph. But, to keep up with the crew cruising along, i was really burning some fuel to keep it at 60mph. With the right props, that 357 Formula should cruise all day long at 60mph without breaking a sweat on those 572's.

Billy Anker in hammond has a 357 Formula with 500 mercs. Believe his boat runs right around 70mph with 470HP a side. Him and his wife love the boat.

ICDEDPPL
02-02-2011, 10:59 AM
The Formula has all the right parts, not sure what it weights but hoping a V10 Excursion should be able to handle it.
Mild, it has way more room cockpit room in there than the Bullet right?
Those ssm drives are just so sweet, damn!

...I also have this guy trying to sell his 2004 28' twin Pantera. (very cool boat)
telling me I don`t need to go bigger that he runs with his buddies 36+ boats all the time up in Erie
I say it may be able to handle it but youre gonna be beat up after.

redhotsommer
02-02-2011, 11:13 AM
Another issue with a 28 Pantera w/twin bbcs...NO room in the engine compartment. The Formula will have a deeper cockpit than the PQ...and the PQ will have a deeper cockpit than the Donzi ZX...the rear bench on that thing is about like the one on my 29 PQ...WAY shallow.

All should run around 70 with decent power...I think the Formula would be heavier and probably give you the best ride.

redhotsommer
02-02-2011, 11:17 AM
Couple pics of Billy and Janet's 357 "Double Trouble."

Yeah...that's them in the background of the second pic!

Magic Medicine
02-02-2011, 11:18 AM
28 pantera has NO freeboard. I like the donzi zx. Mike sure not not referring to a zr. Zx's have a lot of freeboard

Magic Medicine
02-02-2011, 11:22 AM
Not to bash but I have been in a newer 38' formula. The boat ran 72 fire walled with 500efis and rough water handling wasn't super impressive

Exhilaration
02-02-2011, 11:49 AM
Billy's away fun to run with!

redhotsommer
02-02-2011, 12:23 PM
Nope Andy...I do mean ZX. As in Steve and KathyJo's. I've been in that boat in 6 footers...IN that rear bench...and it was more than a bit frightening. Jimmy was sitting next to me in the center...he actually launched off the seat when we hit a big one...somebody had to grab him to keep him in the boat. Not much freeboard at all.

MILD THUNDER
02-02-2011, 12:46 PM
That 357 he is looking at has 572CI mills making 650 or so per side. I believe bob, the guy who used to own it, saw 80 out of it a few times. Figure my 402, which was 4ft longer, and much heavier, and wider beam, hit 72 a couple times in with some chop with 600HP per side.

I agree, the pantera 28 is a good rough water boat for a 28FT boat. But no freeboard, small cockpit, is definitly not what you want. I rode in my buddies 28, standing behind the driver bolster, and the hull sides were below my waist, actually probably around 1/2 way from my waist to my knee. It was calm water, and i didnt like the feeling at 75mph, so i sat my ass down in the back seat. Realistically, it aint much bigger than what you have now. I would cross that off the list. Anyone who claims they can keep up with 36+ft boats in rough water in a 28 pantera, is blowing smoke. sure, maybe they can keep up, but they are getting their asses kicked in, and everyone on board will be holding on for dear life in any real rough water. You aint sippin cocktails in a 28 at 70mph in 2-3ft'ers. I drove one, and rode on one. They are great boats, but bottom line, if you want a comfortable wave crushing smooth riding boat for lake michigan, you'll want something like the formula 357, 36 outlaw, 35-38 cig, etc.

Mike Lucina also has a 38 Formula, but its a straight bottom hull. Pretty much a re-labeled 357 SR-1. Stock 502 Mag 415HP with prochargers. Probably around 600HP per side. he was getting like 77-78mph last season testing props.

Newer 38 Formula with 470HP motors, 72mph sounds about right to me. Probably close to what a 38ZX Donzi, sonic 386, or 38 powerquest, 36 outlaw would run with those motors. 470HP a side in a 38ft heavy boat isnt really big power. My boat would probably barely break 70 with those motors with no fuel and a tailwind.

MILD THUNDER
02-02-2011, 12:49 PM
Billy's away fun to run with!

And fun to drink with! :cheers2:

ICDEDPPL
02-02-2011, 01:39 PM
Ok forget the Pantera.

old owner of that 357 in '06:

I'll sell mine for blue book price. 1989 f357-sr1, tall deck 572,s ,speedmaster 3 drives,newly rebuilt bw trans., $79,995.00
no trailer.

in 2004:

Hey Blake,

There big tube stellings with gaffrig cut-out mufflers.
Their not cheap the stellings are approx. $7500 per
engine, the gaffrigs about $1500 a pair. Their hooked
up to a pair of 572cubic in. tall deck chevys with merlin
steel head, 1050 dom. racing carbs , msd ign. lath.
hyd. steering, speedmaster #3 drives with cleaver
props. On a good day she'll run in the low 80s. in 3ft. waves. Its usually rough on lake erie but thats what
formulas are made for. I have approx 90 hrs. on the
motors an have had no problems. Engine builders
said to run 20w50 severe use racing oil , change every
25 hrs. so thats what I do, seems to work. I love the
boat , motors & exhaust. sorry to be so long winded.

On older boats like my 357 in time you will get a lot of front deck flexing at high speeds. I needed a new rub rail, so I went to my fiberglass man . He removed the old rub rail filled the old holes with epoxy, tighten all the screws that hold the deck to the hull, drilled all new holes for the new rub rail an installed new rail, what a difference,no more flexing or shaking at high speeds , boat feels a lot more solid well thats my 2 cents worth .

heres mine,
F357sr1 formula 572's 650hp stellings,speedmasters 83mph gps so far

Thats a lota h.p. for only $18,000. I'am runnin a pr. 0f 572's
merlin heads, lunati rotating assemble, gold roller rocker's
1050 holly raciing carb, stelling exhaust, in a 357 formula
BAD-ASS it will run approx. 85-90 on a good day, but a
have a hellva lot more money than $18,000 in ea. motor.
It might be a buy but how long will they last. I think you
will be taking a big gamble, but thats only my opion.

from 2004:

Hey stecz,
I have the 572's tall deck chevys with merlin heads, 1050 dominator racing carbs.
msd. 5600 rev.limiters , stellings exhaust, speedmasters 1.5-1 duel tie bars , liquid harmonic rotating assy. balancers, velvet touch 9 clutch trans. [6 forward 3 reverse ]
just had rebuilt, gaffrig gauges , gaffrig gps speedo with recall, graffrig throttles & shifters. Boat has been rack stored since new

hey cuda,
I'd be guessing but I'll say between 650-700hp. They never been dynoed. I'am running the huge
liquid harmonic balancers so the motors run smooth,
can't really tell their running big cams. they do gulp
fuel but what the hell we all need some vice.

Seems like he did everything right and took care of the boat as far as 2006.
This is a heavy boat I should expect a big fuel bill thou huh?

10x
02-02-2011, 10:09 PM
It's the "X" factor. It takes X amount of fuel to make "X" amount of HP. The more HP, the more fuel that's required to make it.

It takes "X" amount of HP to push a boat that weighs "X" amount to a speed of "X" speed. The slower you go the less fuel you use and need to make less HP. Simple math, 650 hp should use 55-56 gals of fuel @ WOT per hour, per engine.

ICDEDPPL
02-03-2011, 08:04 PM
So almost $6 a minute:USA:

Takes about 15min from East Chicago to Boaters beach so thats $90 one way..OMG I gotta stop doing the math lol!!

Man I`m gonna have to raise my hourly charges:biggrinjester:

paulb32
02-05-2011, 12:29 AM
I'll put another vote in for the 36 outlaw. I've had mine a year and love it. We've met at the beach a few times, mine's the 98 with all purple graphics, 525's. My 8 yr old Allie loves going fast in the chop. And the dog Harley lays in the back seat. Rides great, 2 families comfortable with kids. Mine's loaded minus the 2nd set of bolsters that I was looking for.
I have a friend with a 99 and 4 bolsters, 3 kids. The kids (all under 8 too) absolutely love the bolters b/c they feel comfortable even the the ruff on the lake.
Plenty "average" ones out there, but hard to find with amenities though. Some with vacuflush, fewer with more. Then add low hours, good condition, good colors, priced right, etc. I looked for 11/2 yrs for the right one.
The guys are right about the 38 sp being "bus like", and the 38pq not better unless the stepped with power. And the older Formula's are great ones to consider. You might consider a 33 outlaw -same big cockpit, ride well, fast enough, some have ameneties, few have 4 bolsters, and you sure could find one in your budget, plenty out there.

eightsecmopar
02-06-2011, 12:51 PM
Don't count out that Bullet! IMO the Bullets have an awesome cabin and you have the enclosed head. The cockpit area is smaller than the other boats that you are looking at though. I pull mine with a V 10 Excursion no problem, I did have to put air bags on the back because I only have a tandem axle trailer, alot of tongue weight. You get alot of boat for only being a 31. The ride is awesome, you can't beat it.