PDA

View Full Version : Old school BMX bikes?

Dude! Sweet!
12-02-2010, 10:47 PM
Yah, I know... It seems really lame, but I've been on a BMX bike kick lately. I raced them for a couple of years when I was a kid and have a lot of fond memories. I decided I'd replace my last bike ('84 GT) recently and now seem to own like 5 bikes.

Anyone else into it?

I can't believe how much fun I have riding the things!

poncho
12-03-2010, 01:18 AM
Not currently but have thought about it--had a Mongoose and Diamond back from early 1980's. Then got into cycling around 87/8, Miele Elite and did Mountain biking with a sweet Off Road Toad. The last two bikes were fairly pricey, $2,000 and near $5,000! Moved to Phoenix with girlfriend just after high school. Left all these bikes at her Mother's house, get back, and the new boyfriend cleaned the garage. He claims he tossed them, but still think the MF'er sold them. Long rant, I've wanted to get all of them back ever since!!!!!!!!

Dude! Sweet!
12-03-2010, 02:31 AM
My sister stole and traded mine for drugs, as I understand it... Was very very pissed about it for a long time. I couldn't believe the weight that was lifted off my shoulders when I handed the dude $75 for a beater '89 GT Mach 1. Been riding with my kids and having an awesome time.

And shockingly, I can still do some sweet hops and wheelies. Not bad for a 260#, forty year old "man"!

Ryan Beckley
12-03-2010, 12:20 PM
I have been riding BMX since the early 80's I still ride a new style Profile.

Dude! Sweet!
12-03-2010, 02:34 PM
Right on Ryan!

jwurl
12-03-2010, 08:16 PM
I have a 1976 Yamaha Moto-bike. It is just like a dirt bike with pedals on it. It has motorcycle front forks and rear shocks. This was one of the first real BMX bikes produced. They bring pretty good money on Ebay. Jeff Wurl

Dude! Sweet!
12-06-2010, 01:21 PM
Jeff, lets see pics dude! That's a bit before my time (I was an early '80s guy) but I always though the moto-bikes were way cool.

Ryan, you just fun ride now, race or freestyle?

JnT
12-06-2010, 05:29 PM
Still have my 82 Schwinn Predator but is pretty beat up with a lot of aftermarket junk on it. I dug my brother's 83 Predator out of storage last year and cleaned it up. Looks like a new bike. All original but the tires, Tron graphics and all! He wasn't as abusive on equipment as I was. :)

Monopoly 46
12-06-2010, 05:30 PM
i got a dyno gt limited

Dude! Sweet!
12-06-2010, 08:06 PM
You guys are all right! Here I thought I was having the goofiest midlife crisis ever and I find out that there's a bunnch of other guys who are down too! Well done.

Tried foot stoppies yesterday and it went surprisingly well! I'm sure I'll kill myself in no time!

drpete3
12-07-2010, 11:43 AM
My preditor is still hanging in moms garage. Saving it for my son. I am sure I put 10,000 miles on that thing. Frame is not the original. I broke the original frame! I bought it with money I saved in 5th grade. So it must be from summer of 81 or 82.

Dude! Sweet!
12-07-2010, 11:49 PM
Not to draw attention away from SO, but dig this... www.bmxmuseum.com

drpete3
12-08-2010, 08:23 AM
this was my exact bike when new. Colors and everything. God i loved that bike.

http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/schwinn/24931

Dude! Sweet!
12-08-2010, 10:56 AM
Niced ride Pete! I'm a sucker for chrome bikes and love the "period correct" checkerboard pads.

Dude! Sweet!
12-08-2010, 11:14 AM
Here's some terrible pictures of my '90 GT Mach One (wrong seat, wrong bars, wrong wheels, fun as sh*t!)

Dude! Sweet!
12-08-2010, 11:17 AM
And what it's supposed to look like...

drpete3
12-08-2010, 01:58 PM
Almost traded in my schwinn in 1986 for a redline

Nevr2nd
12-08-2010, 02:00 PM
I have two BMX bikes, and I thought I was one of the only ones.

I have a all original 81 Cooks Bros.

87 GT Pro Performer that I still need some parts for, crank and sprocket. Maybe some GT tires.

It sure brings back my younger days.

Dude! Sweet!
12-08-2010, 05:21 PM
I've gone nuts over the past month. Picked up that 90 above and then picked up a 91 interceptor, an 88 Diamondback Reactor another 90 Mach One and the one I'm really stoked about, an 84 GT Pro Series. Best part is I'm in this whole bike circus for under $500.

Love to see some pics of the bikes guys! 81 Cook! Super cool.

osur866
12-09-2010, 03:47 AM
Raced ABA from 82-90. Won the 86' Grand Nationals and the Gold Cup Championship East in 87' still have my Zeronine just as it was the last day I raced it, still has the Gold Cup #1 plate still on it :D, Dang that was awhile ago! Lol, I'll try and post pictures later.

osur866
12-09-2010, 09:26 AM
Zeronine Pro about a 1985 model

osur866
12-09-2010, 09:36 AM
Had several bikes when I raced, Hutch, GT, CW Racing, Zeronine Mid that was all crome and last was the black Zeronine Pro but I swaped the chrome forks from the Zeronine Mid, broke all the frames except the Zeronines, the Hutch's and CW's broke on the lower tube by the headset, the GT's broke back by the seat tube, broke 2 GT's but the Zeronines never did.

Dude! Sweet!
12-09-2010, 04:26 PM
Super cool! Great looking bike.

Funny about breaking stuff. I always killed 3-piece cranks (couldn't afford the 401s or the Profiles) and broke forks right at the bearing races on the bottom. I raced a Ross Snapper that I'd upgraded for a couple years then built my GT, but made the varsity hockey team at the same time... The bike got stolen and that was all she wrote.

I was never very good, but it sure was a ton of fun!

osur866
12-09-2010, 07:14 PM
Yep the only 3 piece cranks worth a ppop where the Redline "Flights" which I had or the profile but as I recal back in the like 85 they fetched like close to $200 without the sealed bearing set :eek:

Dude! Sweet!
12-09-2010, 08:52 PM
I have a 1976 Yamaha Moto-bike. It is just like a dirt bike with pedals on it. It has motorcycle front forks and rear shocks. This was one of the first real BMX bikes produced. They bring pretty good money on Ebay. Jeff Wurl

http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/yamaha/43039

Like this one? Cool sh*t, you would have been the mayor of our neigborhood when I was a kid if you rolled up on a bike with suspension!

Dude! Sweet!
12-09-2010, 08:54 PM
Yep the only 3 piece cranks worth a ppop where the Redline "Flights" which I had or the profile but as I recal back in the like 85 they fetched like close to $200 without the sealed bearing set :eek:

Yup, too rich for my blood back then! I have the Sutour or Sugino ones and just crush them... And you see how much those Flite (401s) go for now!? Insane!

I will end up buying a set of profiles for my '84 pro though...

Dude! Sweet!
01-14-2011, 02:04 PM
Just got finished doing a weekend resto on a '90 GT Mach One. Going to do a '90 GT Pro 24 cruiser this weekend if all the parts show up, or a '94 Mini Mach One if not. Here's a couple of pics of the one I just finished.

ttuton
01-16-2011, 10:30 AM
Cool! Reading this makes me want to keep my old Bmx to ride or give to my boy when he grows up.

BobinCovington
01-17-2011, 12:52 AM
Its fun to see all these "old school" BMX bikes. My brother and I used to ride back in the mid seventies. There used to be a place called the Recycle Bike shop in town with a nice dirt track in back for races. They had a stack of old stingray bike frames (we were pretty sure there were some stolen ones in there) and you picked out a frame and selected your wheels, tires, handlebars, grips, etc and they would paint it any color for you. Mine was candy apple blue and had the 5 spoke nylon wheels with knobby tires and a double clamp gooseneck and pads on the frame and handlebars.

It was stolen two weeks later...lol But we had a blast riding back then. I wonder what that old bike would be worth now?

Griswald
01-17-2011, 08:59 AM
I started on a Mongoose. From there, went to a Redline, PK Ripper, Race Inc., and finally a Hutch. Lot's of fun back in those days. My ABA card is lurking somewhere

dd24skater
01-17-2011, 11:04 AM
Still have my Hutch 24 Cruiser hanging in the garage...Flight cranks, DX pedals, JMC bars. Get it down a couple times a year to ride it, love that thing. I don't think racing would be for me anymore, went to an indoor track a few years back with the Hutch, all to regulars told me I was nuts riding it and did I have any idea how much it was worth...went home that night and started to get a real education from Ebay on what that old school bmx stuff was selling for. WOW

Dude! Sweet!
01-18-2011, 08:25 PM
I've got an '84 GT Pro that's pretty nice, but not worth anything close to what Hutch stuff goes for. It's funny on the bike forums, I can only equate Hutch to Apache on the boat forums... When I bought my GT back in the early '80s, I thought about buying a Hutch and didn't. I don't regret it, since my OG GT was stolen anyhow... But I am completely flabbergasted at some of the prices.

And to Bob's comments, I'm surprised the old Stingrays and Motobikes aren't worth more. Some super cool bikes. I was born in 1970 so when I was learning to ride a bike stingrays were around. My uncle's only 10 years older than me and he had a yellow stingray with the shifter. So cool. As a matter of fact, I think my first BMX bike was a red stingray and then I got a Ross snapper...

So lets see the Hutch pics already! :sifone:

heater63
01-19-2011, 09:07 AM
Pretty cool pics of the old yamaha motobike.Did you know that Kawasaki also made a bmx bike with suspension? Suzuki also made one that was the only true racing bike with no suspension and was very light.It was the hottest thing out back around 1979.I also remember the first monoshock bike built by Mathews.I used to have a Torker with Tuff Wheels.Most of the tracks here in upstate N.Y. were downhill coarses.

Dude! Sweet!
01-19-2011, 07:46 PM
Heater, I've seen the Yammy and Kawi's but never a suzuki. Very cool. Where are you in upstate? I raced in Liverpool (Syracuse) and we ran a flat track. Would love to have run downhill.

Dude! Sweet!
01-19-2011, 07:49 PM
Suzuki bmx bikes... Who knew :sifone:

http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/suzuki/

sierra tango ii
01-19-2011, 09:13 PM
I saw this thread and laughed out loud. I actually just bought my 5 year old daughter a Mini PK Ripper for her birthday. Did she want it? Maybe, did I want it? Heck Yeah! Ive been wanting one since i was 10. We even took it to the local track and she rode around it. I'm actually pondering building an old school ripper and racing with her. Cool thread.

Dude! Sweet!
01-20-2011, 04:22 PM
I saw this thread and laughed out loud. I actually just bought my 5 year old daughter a Mini PK Ripper for her birthday. Did she want it? Maybe, did I want it? Heck Yeah! Ive been wanting one since i was 10. We even took it to the local track and she rode around it. I'm actually pondering building an old school ripper and racing with her. Cool thread.

Yup, I'm with ya bud! Bought a Mini Mach One for my kids... They want nothing to do with it, but I think it's Rad!

I was really digging the 26" OM Flyer cruiser from SE. Oldschool blue with brown Landing Gear and plus sized for those of us that are twice the man we used to be! I ended up picking up a '90 GT 24" though instead. Pics to come (tomorrow probably) on that one.

Dude! Sweet!
01-20-2011, 04:24 PM
M1 mini from it's ebay pictures. Put grips and tires on it, but I'm going to pull it all apart and clean everything up. Kids still ride with training wheels...

Dude! Sweet!
01-24-2011, 05:38 PM
OK, got off my butt and took a picture of the cruiser.