PDA

View Full Version : 2 Speed Transmission?

Hard Charger
11-10-2010, 10:45 AM
Has anyone tried running a power glide or similar multi gear trans? If so what happened? I'm curious to know why it would or would not work. Thanks

old377guy
11-10-2010, 11:43 AM
Yeah, it's been done. I think that most of the boats rigged this way were trying to accomplish maneuverability around docks in low gear, although some were also using big props or drive ratios that were hard to get on plane. I'm not sure how these have worked out. Hopefully the guys with the real world experience will chime in and enlighten us.

Ron P
11-10-2010, 01:20 PM
The B&M two speed didn't work out for me. Constant problems...until we got rid of them.

gcarter
11-10-2010, 06:08 PM
It seems like they're used a lot on SK boats on the West coast.
Pretty big power too.

Perlmudder
11-10-2010, 08:36 PM
doesn't Jim Lee have something to do with some high HP 2 speeds? I think he has the in Freedom US1

carter38
11-11-2010, 03:51 AM
Yes they are running them in freedom contact Jim Lee freedomus1 or Tyson bigyellowcat. Last I heard they've had great success with them.

Bradz
11-11-2010, 10:49 PM
I had some B&M two speeds transmissions. Low gear was really only good for docking and helped plane the boat quicker. The ratio was so low that you shifted into high gear at 25 mph. They were not very reliable and difficult to repair.

insanity
11-12-2010, 01:57 PM
Weissmann is doing a lot of work with multi-speed transmissions as well.

Ratickle
11-13-2010, 10:07 AM
Weissmann is doing a lot of work with multi-speed transmissions as well.

Yes he is.

4FX
11-15-2010, 04:33 AM
I think back in the day Troy Dennis had made engines and 2 or 3 speed Tranny's for Alcone and maybe D.Kaiser in Jaws.

shifter
11-17-2010, 01:03 PM
They work but with anything they do not like to be abused. Just keep in mind they were designed for a 3000lb car with 300 hp.

One of my customers has 2600 hp per side and could not get on plane. 2 x 4 speeds later he is boating.

Transmissions work fine in boats. Most people try to use an off the shelf product to make it happen in a boat but it is not the same do not kid yourself.

When merc did it (blacktrack) went away after a year. Unfortunate for us because our 3 speed worked and was right for the application i.e. correct ratios .5 inch longer than stock engine location etc... When they pulled the plug the other company saw no need to continue. Monkey see monkey do.

We have run up to 6 speeds in the boats and it works We were the first to introduce this to class 1 in 1998. We are running them now in a raceboat with twin Ls7 smallblock engines. They are semi-automatic spur gear, gearboxes, non planetary, no clutch. pneumatic shift computer controlled. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DINWsjuh-ys

Our newer transmissions are electric shift.

We even make them for outboards....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ujz7A1AMdms

pat W:sifone:

Rik
11-17-2010, 11:21 PM
Pat who developed the 2 speed that Merc used with the BH drive? I remember them, they would down shift when the rpm dropped and then up shift. Kind of like a kick down cable from modern cars.

Merc recalled them and got them back when they discontinued the BH back in the day.

Here is what I need... semi automatic with neutral and reverse without killing the motor to go from one to another and not be anymore than 10" AOL. Did I mention not cost a fortune as well.

shifter
11-18-2010, 12:48 AM
Not sure who developed it I thought it was a BnM knock off.

What power? Do you want an offset? We have put 6 speeds in 10.75 (block face to center of universal joint.)

I have been working on a 3 speed pleasure box for some time now It has 3 speeds forward and 3 in reverse.... you dont have to go through the gears in reverse but if you want to you can. I made it this way for shaft drives so we could counter rotate without a transom box.

Like we did in Taboo is the other style. I could add the clutch system to that trans that was two speed w reverse.

Just looking for some RnD money to continue the projects.....:sifone:

pat W

Rik
11-18-2010, 04:47 AM
I know that Merc requested all the BH 2 Speeds back and was providing the cost to cover the re-rig to a Bravo in place of the BH back then. I know "Powerboat Transmissions" aka Richard Peat in Pasadena has the B&M 2 Speeds now but they are 16.375" at their shortest.

The clutch needs to be operated via, air cylinder, linear actuator, or some hydraulic slave system but that takes coordination on the operator. A transmission controller or an internally valved transmission that could do this when shifted would be ideal but .... The BMW has this system with their SMG

Counter rotating is not an issue as we do that in the drives, saves engine room space and cg..

shifter
11-18-2010, 12:34 PM
Have you ever seen a clutch that holds 2000 lb/ft of torque? It is 11 inches long. The SMG (seimens) system is a clutch system and so if the ferrari system (marelli) It is a clutch and a manual syncro box. Both are reliant on throttle by wire. These will not work in a boat very well. They work well in a 2 to 3000 lb car not a 10000 lb boat.

The 11 inch is to replace the velvet drive. Right?

What power? What engine, Gas or diesel?

pat W

Rik
11-18-2010, 02:23 PM
Yes, to eliminate the 110lb baby on the back of the engine. Although they have problems, the NXT tranny is 35 lbs and is short.

I know the SMG's are merely a manual gb with computer controls but with the boat the problem with a clutch system is the extra length required for the bell-housing, pressure plate, etc.... not to mention the operator skill required goes up.

shifter
11-18-2010, 03:42 PM
We have it down to a lever only operation...FNR. 123 is a separate button.

The first one I did like this is a hair longer then the 11 inch mark. 13.25 with the small flange 1410.. or 14.75 with the 1480 flange. It is made for 1600 lb/ft.

So if I scale it back (half input torque) around 800 lb/ft it should swim inside the 11 inch mark.....

pat W:sifone:

Rik
11-18-2010, 07:27 PM
Cost.... :huh:

shifter
11-18-2010, 07:55 PM
For One???

You still have not ballparked the torque/Hp/RPM.

pat W

MM36SUN
11-18-2010, 11:15 PM
I know the hydromatic transmissions dont do well in boats, but how about a M-22 Rock Crusher? Im installing a foot throttle in my boat, so why not a clutch too? The granny gear would be great for getting on plane i would think

Rik
11-19-2010, 04:50 PM
It would have to be a production unit, I could do the castings and such. Power, well do it and do it once so 1,500 ft/lbs

Imagine, sitting as it would not be easy standing, and shifting the boat the same way that one would drive a car... Why the hell not? Does boating have to be that dissimilar to automobiles?

A buddy has a Ron Jones Hydro with a blown hemi and a hand clutch to engage the f/n/r box. Of course space is at a premium on a V drive in comparison.

shifter
11-22-2010, 12:10 AM
In the seventies we made multispeed V drive gearboxes for hydroplanes. Mostly 2 speeds no reverse. I still have the tooling.

If you can get some pics it would help.

pat W

Anchored
12-27-2010, 02:46 PM
This one has an internal clutch. Not sure of the torque capacity though.

http://www.brinninc.com/brinnmodified.html

Jeff