PDA

View Full Version : Cigarette Update time!

MILD THUNDER
11-06-2010, 07:05 PM
Today me and the big guy went down to have some fun. yanked the old mills out, and gettin ready for a bilge makeover and of course, new motors.

All i can say is there was some interesting stuff inside that bilge. Tube socks zip tied to the motors, and lots of foreign material in places they shouldnt be :confused: I think next time ryan and I tear motors apart and re-assemble at the dock, we should lay off the grey goose. or at least do it during the daytime when its light out. On the plus side, we found a few items we lost that night (or thought we did) :huh:

There will be some "Wild Boys Racing" updates done to it this winter too. Fresh coat of white benjamin moore bathroom paint for the bilge, Summit racing decals on the transom, 2" yellow ratchet "torque straps" that will run across both engines, to the outer stringers. We wanna make sure those motors dont pull the bolts right outta the stringers when he holeshots it. As for a new breather system, we are designing a system that will have fittings plumbed into the valve covers, that we will attach ankle socks to via a hose clamp. We think his k&n breathers are too restrictive, and make too much crankcase psi. Nice thing about the ankle socks is they are short, and at idle, they wont catch fire on the headers. The long tube socks are overkill we feel in this application anyhow.

:boobflash:

10x
11-06-2010, 07:30 PM
Joe, tell me you're kiddin, right ???:eek: Socks ??? Design a vacuum system ??? Straps over the engines to hold them in place ??? Pullin bolts out of the stringers ??? WOW, you guys sure got some work ahead of yas. :huh:

MILD THUNDER
11-06-2010, 07:52 PM
Joe, tell me you're kiddin, right ???:eek: Socks ??? Design a vacuum system ??? Straps over the engines to hold them in place ??? Pullin bolts out of the stringers ??? WOW, you guys sure got some work ahead of yas. :huh:

ya, just bein a wise a$$ lol

on a more serious note, new engines will be 522Ci Merlin blocks, brodix heads, 8-71 blowers with intercoolers, 10 or 14qt pans, 13 plate coolers, hyd rollers, new ignitions, and some other goodies.

Boatfreak
11-06-2010, 10:31 PM
That sounds boring. I like the first post better and would like to see how it would work. I think you might be on to something with this sock thing.:rofl:

OBNOXUS
11-07-2010, 08:11 AM
You told me the sock was to filter the oil in the bilge before it got pumped back into the motor !!

MILD THUNDER
11-07-2010, 08:48 AM
You told me the sock was to filter the oil in the bilge before it got pumped back into the motor !!

True, but that was with our duel wet sump recirculation system we were using.

if the 8-71's fall thru, we have a couple extra attwood bilge blowers we plan to ducttape to the carbs. Once we are on plane, flip a toggle switch, and bingo...we got forced induction. We are going to incorporate a resistor style heater fan switch from a chevy truck. This way we have, 4 different speeds for the blower, which we can control from the helm. Helps save the drives from full boost. :sifone:

OBNOXUS
11-07-2010, 09:19 AM
Gotta better idea.

MILD THUNDER
11-07-2010, 09:23 AM
Gotta better idea.

Man, that looks like it would work nicely! Even the air cleaner on the leaf blower looks like it might be USCG approved as a flame arrestor!

Boatfreak
11-07-2010, 09:26 AM
Gotta better idea.

HEY WHAT ARE YOU DOING LOOKING UNDER MY HOOD! :rofl:

redhotsommer
11-07-2010, 09:51 AM
With the toggle induction...you can truely be Miami Vice-like and say "Hit it, Zito." Then you definately take down that 50 Cary and get the drugs.

B.Z.
11-07-2010, 01:10 PM
Well as I see it you are going to need at least 1000 HP a side to move that boat to anything over 80 MPH...so stick with your MacGyver set up any you will be fine....LOL

MILD THUNDER
11-07-2010, 02:37 PM
With the toggle induction...you can truely be Miami Vice-like and say "Hit it, Zito." Then you definately take down that 50 Cary and get the drugs.

Thats what we were thinking. We definintly need the orange racing helmets and race suits.

That episode was funny. They were all suited up in that 39ft chris craft stinger with the twin 400's and 60mph! :sifone:

OBNOXUS
11-07-2010, 02:45 PM
that was fast back then !!!

specialk
11-07-2010, 08:52 PM
I thought the sock was so Ryan did not make a mess in his cabin after a long night of playing checkers at the yacht club and having to go back to his boat all by himself...LOL

redhotsommer
11-07-2010, 08:57 PM
Ryan and I should race now! Get the paddles! :bump:

MILD THUNDER
11-07-2010, 10:29 PM
I thought the sock was so Ryan did not make a mess in his cabin after a long night of playing checkers at the yacht club and having to go back to his boat all by himself...LOL

I would not bring a black light down in his cabin....

As for checkers, we are thinking of building a permanant checker board table on T-dock, next to his slip. Nothing like a nice cig vs. Fountain race, then take it to the table. Loser in the boat race automatically loses two checkers.

MILD THUNDER
11-07-2010, 10:32 PM
Ryan and I should race now! Get the paddles! :bump:

Bolt on some rear mount minn kota's and let em' rip...

MILD THUNDER
01-04-2011, 05:34 PM
Update...Superchillers and Mooneyham blowers stocked. Next is getting going on engine builds..

:boobflash:

Magic Medicine
01-06-2011, 08:53 AM
note: the first pic is takening in rhino's living room. Gotta love 2 sets of blowers for the
rooms focal point!

Payton
01-09-2011, 11:12 AM
I thought that looked like a couch. haha Ryan you had better stay single or all the toys get to sleep in the barn.

Cig Flat Deck
01-09-2011, 04:17 PM
We don't have to worry about the married thing! It would take me too long to get both set of blowers and the weight bench out of the living room. Plus you can't have cold blowers and carbs. If I had alittle more room my chopper would be in there too.
Ryan

Hammer01
01-10-2011, 06:06 PM
What are you talking about, the Chopper was in the living room last winter wasn't it? I think it is great having that stuff in the living room, especially the weight bench because it prevents that walk of shame for the women upstairs when there is a perfectly could place to work out in the L.R. !!!!!!!!!!!! Looking good bro, hope the Caddy and bike go away soon so the rest of the fun can begin!!!!

MILD THUNDER
02-21-2011, 01:47 PM
Went down to the storage building yesterday. Got to soak the bilge a few times with some degreaser. A few more applications will be needed, along with some HOT pressure washing. Bilge will be getting a fresh coat of paint.

The will be a couple nice cosmetic additions being done to the exterior.

Brought the blown motor home. Gotta tear into in and see how bad it is. New motors gonna be getting started soon. However, we may go thru the old 509CI mills so we have a spare pair in the garage.

Magic Medicine
02-21-2011, 05:30 PM
Went down to the storage building yesterday. Got to soak the bilge a few times with some degreaser. A few more applications will be needed, along with some HOT pressure washing. Bilge will be getting a fresh coat of paint.

The will be a couple nice cosmetic additions being done to the exterior.

Brought the blown motor home. Gotta tear into in and see how bad it is. New motors gonna be getting started soon. However, we may go thru the old 509CI mills so we have a spare pair in the garage.

Who are the 2 goof balls in the pic??? Trade the motors for a lightly used 07 Apex????:_boobies:

redhotsommer
02-21-2011, 09:41 PM
Yeah...those guys in the pic...do they do bilges often? Cuz I'd like to get mine done as well now that the motors are out...

MILD THUNDER
02-24-2011, 12:58 PM
Yeah...those guys in the pic...do they do bilges often? Cuz I'd like to get mine done as well now that the motors are out...

All you need to do is supply the chocolate martini's and they'll be there. :D

Magic Medicine
02-24-2011, 01:11 PM
All you need to do is supply the chocolate martini's and they'll be there. :D

:03::03:

Tony M
02-24-2011, 02:54 PM
Hay! Joe Az nice Avitar, But it Don't Look like no Beaker Boat More like a Flat Deck, What ! U Changa U Mine ! Or maybe U Changa somtin elsa !

MILD THUNDER
02-24-2011, 08:05 PM
Hay! Joe Az nice Avitar, But it Don't Look like no Beaker Boat More like a Flat Deck, What ! U Changa U Mine ! Or maybe U Changa somtin elsa !

Longga time we no talkaa maybe you forgetta my number??? Quesadiche?

Me still hava the "Fontana". Me no hava da monny for a "Sigaretta"

le sigarette sono troppo lenti per me :D

redhotsommer
02-25-2011, 06:49 AM
Vive "la Fontana!" Por cent'anni.

Tony M
02-25-2011, 07:26 AM
Longga time we no talkaa maybe you forgetta my number??? Quesadiche?

Me still hava the "Fontana". Me no hava da monny for a "Sigaretta"

le sigarette sono troppo lenti per me :D No! Seam To Work , Leave A Masazi Or Da E mail Ting May b No one at su Casa ! Im A Donno Maybe U Changa Da Number . :beatdeadhorse5:.

MILD THUNDER
02-25-2011, 11:13 AM
Vive "la Fontana!" Por cent'anni.

soprattutto con i nuovi motori!!!

Twin Whackas
02-25-2011, 11:22 AM
Speako englisho pleaso.

MILD THUNDER
03-13-2011, 08:15 PM
Got the engine torn down that was vomiting oil out the dipstick. I believe the #2 and #7 cylinder head gaskets blew. Was putting compression right into the lifter valley. We think this happened when the rocker nuts broke, which in turn loosened the rockers enough that the valves were not opening. Compression had to go somewhere, and took the headgaskets out.

Anyhow, it looks as if the motors will be fully rebuilt, with 4.250 callies cranks, 6.385 oliver rods, turning them into 540+CI. New roller cams, a little headwork, basically all new valvetrain. Should make for a nice foundation for the mooneyhams and intercoolers.

If anyone is looking for stock 4.00 stroke one piece rear seal GM steel cranks, 4.500 JE flattop pistons, and manley H beam rods, let me know. They will be for sale...So far all looks to be in good shape. The few bearings we pulled looked good.

10x
03-13-2011, 09:46 PM
Got the engine torn down that was vomiting oil out the dipstick. I believe the #2 and #7 cylinder head gaskets blew. Was putting compression right into the lifter valley. We think this happened when the rocker nuts broke, which in turn loosened the rockers enough that the valves were not opening. Compression had to go somewhere, and took the headgaskets out.

Anyhow, it looks as if the motors will be fully rebuilt, with 4.250 callies cranks, 6.385 oliver rods, turning them into 540+CI. New roller cams, a little headwork, basically all new valvetrain. Should make for a nice foundation for the mooneyhams and intercoolers.

If anyone is looking for stock 4.00 stroke one piece rear seal GM steel cranks, 4.500 JE flattop pistons, and manley H beam rods, let me know. They will be for sale...So far all looks to be in good shape. The few bearings we pulled looked good.

Intake or exhaust valves not opening ?? Got pics of the head gaskets ??

MILD THUNDER
03-13-2011, 11:20 PM
Intake or exhaust valves not opening ?? Got pics of the head gaskets ??

Dont have any pics, but the gasket's blew out in about the 12 oclock position, if you were looking at the engine from the side with the heads off. Basically as close to the lifter valley as they could be.

As for which valves werent opening I couldnt tell ya. I think Ryan had been out boating that day, and motor ran like $hit, so he took it back and put it in the slip. I remember him saying the boost gauge was going banana's. I thought maybe he lost the cam. It was 90 degrees the night we yanked the valve covers, and all i remember was we found a couple rockers laying there. I believe there was at least one bent pushrod, from the rocker coming loose and it binding up. I remember at that point, we decided to replace the poly locks, bent pushrod, adjust all the valves, lifters all looked fine, re-time it and run it. He had plans to yank them in the fall anyhow. Well, apparently the damage was done. The motor actually idled and ran ok after puttting it back together. but once he got on it, it just built up so much crankcase psi, it puked oil everywhere. Which he really didn't get a chance to run it until the ride to Michigan city for the races. Thats when he figured something major was wrong.

As for why the poly locks broke, I don't know. They were on there for a long time with no issues. No signs of detonation on the pistons or valves, only thing i can think of, is that there was too much valve lash (solid rollers) or valve springs were getting weak and floating the valves. Did not see any broken though. I can see one poly lock breaking just because, but more than one lock breaking at one time, something weird was going on. The poly locks split down the side if i remember right.

However, this time, he is going to a maintainance free hydraulic roller setup. He should have a nice setup when its all done.

10x
03-14-2011, 10:55 AM
Dont have any pics, but the gasket's blew out in about the 12 oclock position, if you were looking at the engine from the side with the heads off. Basically as close to the lifter valley as they could be.

As for which valves werent opening I couldnt tell ya. I think Ryan had been out boating that day, and motor ran like $hit, so he took it back and put it in the slip. I remember him saying the boost gauge was going banana's. I thought maybe he lost the cam. It was 90 degrees the night we yanked the valve covers, and all i remember was we found a couple rockers laying there. I believe there was at least one bent pushrod, from the rocker coming loose and it binding up. I remember at that point, we decided to replace the poly locks, bent pushrod, adjust all the valves, lifters all looked fine, re-time it and run it. He had plans to yank them in the fall anyhow. Well, apparently the damage was done. The motor actually idled and ran ok after puttting it back together. but once he got on it, it just built up so much crankcase psi, it puked oil everywhere. Which he really didn't get a chance to run it until the ride to Michigan city for the races. Thats when he figured something major was wrong.

As for why the poly locks broke, I don't know. They were on there for a long time with no issues. No signs of detonation on the pistons or valves, only thing i can think of, is that there was too much valve lash (solid rollers) or valve springs were getting weak and floating the valves. Did not see any broken though. I can see one poly lock breaking just because, but more than one lock breaking at one time, something weird was going on. The poly locks split down the side if i remember right.

However, this time, he is going to a maintainance free hydraulic roller setup. He should have a nice setup when its all done.

Was it #2 & #7 that lost the poly locks ??? If it was , and it was the intake valve, then there's no way that the cylinder could've had any compression in it to take out the head gasket. Even at #15 lbs boost, the head gaskets should've stayed in place, and I doubt that it made anywhere near those #'s.
If it was the exhaust valves that lost the rockers, then it would've been popping through the carbs like crazy especially when under load. What head gaskets were on there ??

MILD THUNDER
03-14-2011, 11:31 AM
I can't remember if #2 lost the poly locks, but # 7 I do remember. Felpro headgaskets and arp head studs. He ran only 3psi of boost. I'll have to ask Ryan if it popped thru the carb or exhaust when he noticed it wasn't running right....

Magic Medicine
03-14-2011, 12:07 PM
Was it #2 & #7 that lost the poly locks ??? If it was , and it was the intake valve, then there's no way that the cylinder could've had any compression in it to take out the head gasket. Even at #15 lbs boost, the head gaskets should've stayed in place, and I doubt that it made anywhere near those #'s.
If it was the exhaust valves that lost the rockers, then it would've been popping through the carbs like crazy especially when under load. What head gaskets were on there ??

I can't remember if #2 lost the poly locks, but # 7 I do remember. Felpro headgaskets and arp head studs. He ran only 3psi of boost. I'll have to ask Ryan if it popped thru the carb or exhaust when he noticed it wasn't running right....

Pretty sure it was popping, I was on the boat when it happened. Almost sounded like it rounded a cam lobe

MILD THUNDER
03-14-2011, 12:33 PM
Pretty sure it was popping, I was on the boat when it happened. Almost sounded like it rounded a cam lobe

Do you recall it popping from the exhaust or the the carb?

Magic Medicine
03-14-2011, 01:32 PM
Do you recall it popping from the exhaust or the the carb?

I don't remember:cheers2:. This might have something to do with it, I thought is was popping through the carb?:sifone:

MILD THUNDER
03-14-2011, 02:11 PM
I don't remember:cheers2:. This might have something to do with it, I thought is was popping through the carb?:sifone:

I hear that! If it was poppin thru the carb, then it sounds like the exhaust valve/valves werent opening.

Either way, thats neither here nor there. With the new 540's and intercooled mooneyhams, that old horse should giddy up! :cheers2:

Magic Medicine
03-14-2011, 02:20 PM
I hear that! If it was poppin thru the carb, then it sounds like the exhaust valve/valves werent opening.

Either way, thats neither here nor there. With the new 540's and intercooled mooneyhams, that old horse should giddy up! :cheers2:

:sifone::iagree:

SC288
03-14-2011, 04:07 PM

Tell Ryan that I need to break my Cig Cherry with a ride on that beotch this Summer!!! :sifone: