PDA

View Full Version : Winter Projects

Pages : [1] 2

SC288
10-23-2010, 09:46 PM
I thought it would be fun to start a thread showing pics. and progress being made on projects you may be completing on the boats this Winter. Myself, my friend Bryce and WETTE VETTE pulled my engines about 4 weeks ago. My main goals were to do some rerigging and get the engines and bilge cleaned up as well as install new MSD Ignition etc. The bilge is all finished up, blocks have been painted and brackets etc. have been cleaned up and painted. Here are some pics. of my progress so far....

Hey Twin Whackas....I need a supervisor on this project....can you help me? :lurk5:

WETTE VETTE
10-23-2010, 10:19 PM
Looks good!

MILD THUNDER
10-24-2010, 09:19 AM
Cool, looking good. Hard to tell by the pics, but if it wasnt done, now is a good time to resin up those holes in the transom for the exhaust cutouts. You have full length tailpipes or standard wet style?

Some of my offseason plans include getting cockpit carpet made, new padding for the edges of my fairing, re-doing the lights in the cabin, and new dash panel, steering wheel, and a little tidying up on some bilge wiring/hoses, etc.

Magic Medicine
10-24-2010, 09:21 AM
I plan on alot of beer drinking and snowmobile riding!

Magic Medicine
10-24-2010, 09:23 AM
Hey Mike When did you get the quad? Dang son you have all the toys!

redhotsommer
10-24-2010, 09:33 AM
Cool, looking good. Hard to tell by the pics, but if it wasnt done, now is a good time to resin up those holes in the transom for the exhaust cutouts. You have full length tailpipes or standard wet style?

Some of my offseason plans include getting cockpit carpet made, new padding for the edges of my fairing, re-doing the lights in the cabin, and new dash panel, steering wheel, and a little tidying up on some bilge wiring/hoses, etc.

Joe...gimme a call...I have Harvey's number and he can set you up with the carpet. I also have a hookup where I can get the cheap dashboards from the place Fountain gets them...like 1/2 the price the factory charges. I'm assuming you are going LED for the cabin lights...DO IT. There's an old thread on OSO in the Fountain section about where to get them and what part number you need.

As for me...my boat is heading to Jenison in an hour or so.

WETTE VETTE
10-24-2010, 10:10 AM

That quad is the new PWHO and is a bad mofo!!

SC288
10-24-2010, 10:50 AM

Yeah Joe....that is one of my only gripes with Sunsation is that they do not gel or resin the exhaust cutouts as my 288 was not either. I will be doing that before installing the new tips....they are standard wet style.

SC288
10-24-2010, 10:51 AM

That is Taylor's power wheels that we picked up at a garage sale.

Magic Medicine
10-24-2010, 11:35 AM
That is Taylor's power wheels that we picked up at a garage sale.

Looks bigger than a power wheel:eek:

Twin Whackas
10-24-2010, 04:43 PM
Hey Twin Whackas....I need a supervisor on this project....can you help me? :lurk5:[/QUOTE]

I am always up for some good supervising. As for my winter projects this year....hmmmm...nothing like always. :03:

MILD THUNDER
10-24-2010, 08:05 PM
Yeah Joe....that is one of my only gripes with Sunsation is that they do not gel or resin the exhaust cutouts as my 288 was not either. I will be doing that before installing the new tips....they are standard wet style.

Did you go with all new gauges? I think we have the same gauges, the white gaffrig ones with the warning lights built in?

MILD THUNDER
10-24-2010, 08:13 PM
Joe...gimme a call...I have Harvey's number and he can set you up with the carpet. I also have a hookup where I can get the cheap dashboards from the place Fountain gets them...like 1/2 the price the factory charges. I'm assuming you are going LED for the cabin lights...DO IT. There's an old thread on OSO in the Fountain section about where to get them and what part number you need.

As for me...my boat is heading to Jenison in an hour or so.

Half price sounds delicious. I found the place you told me about online. Im gonna call them this week.

Prob gonna order the venturi wind deflector and Fairing upholstery trim pieces directly from Fountain. Might need harvey to sew a pocket in for the venturi on my cockpit cover.

Strange thing. All my mood rope lighting wasnt working this summer. Was down there today by the boat, turned batteries on, and voila! They are all working now! Even the ones in the ceiling. Still may do the LED thing, cuz them incandescent rope lights draw quite a bit of power. Goal is to replace every bulb in the boat with LED. I like lights, and really like the fact you can light the boat up like a xmas tree and not have to worry about plugging into shorepower with such low amp draw from the LED's.

B.Z.
10-24-2010, 10:11 PM
Looks like somebody else has started????

10x
10-24-2010, 10:16 PM
Joe, if you're gonna replace the cockpit carpet, I've got a local guy (Joliet area), that puts the Fountain word and logo into it. He'll put anything you want into it. He did mine a few years ago, still looks great. If you're interested, give me a shout.

redhotsommer
10-25-2010, 08:13 AM
Team Marine in Wisconsin for the dash: 608-525-5005 Ask for Kevin. I paid $325.
Harvey for the carpet: 231-855-6445

My bilge was DIRTY under those motors...scrubbed it clean when I got it back to the barn in Coloma. Now...I need to get ride of the gas that's in it somehow. Anybody have any ideas?

MILD THUNDER
10-25-2010, 08:25 AM
Joe, if you're gonna replace the cockpit carpet, I've got a local guy (Joliet area), that puts the Fountain word and logo into it. He'll put anything you want into it. He did mine a few years ago, still looks great. If you're interested, give me a shout.

Really like the Fountain logo in the carpet. Looks great. Main thing i would need is someone who will come out and fit the carpet, since i dont have one to go off of. Im not very good at making templates...The boat did have cockpit carpet, snaps still there.

SC288
10-25-2010, 08:27 AM
Did you go with all new gauges? I think we have the same gauges, the white gaffrig ones with the warning lights built in?

I am going to go with live oil psi gauges and add oil temp. gauges. I am also taking out the pito pickup speedo and going to add a GPS speedo. Thanks for the offer though.

SC288
10-25-2010, 08:30 AM

My bilge was DIRTY under those motors...scrubbed it clean when I got it back to the barn in Coloma. Now...I need to get ride of the gas that's in it somehow. Anybody have any ideas?

Mike check on your gas tank....mine has of course the two pickups as well as the sender....but it also appears to have an inspecton port that is capped off. I am going to borrow some gas cans and try and siphon the 80 or so gallons out. :ack2:

MILD THUNDER
10-25-2010, 08:34 AM

Thanks dude.

How much gas you got in there? If its low, i'd throw some stabil in there for the winter, and come spring fill it up with 93. Or throw in some race fuel come spring...:D

You can rig up a electric fuel pump and start filling jugs and put the gas in Michelles vette and the snowmobiles too

MILD THUNDER
10-25-2010, 08:42 AM
I am going to go with live oil psi gauges and add oil temp. gauges. I am also taking out the pito pickup speedo and going to add a GPS speedo. Thanks for the offer though.

I was gonna do a GPS speedo to replace the gaffrig liquid one. Installed my chartplotter, and the liquid speedo is almost dead nuts with the gps, so im gonna stick with that. My oil psi gauges dont seem to be very accurate, although they do work. I prefer mechanical oil pressure gauge to know whats really going on. What i might do is mount a mechanical gauge off the plugged port on the oil filter remote head. Ill be able to see it when the hatches are open. Same deal for fuel psi. I have elec fuel psi gauges, but dont trust them.

redhotsommer
10-25-2010, 08:54 AM
I'd love to siphon it into Michelle's car or my Jeep...but the boat is in Michigan. So, I'm thinking I might just grab as many gas cans as I can get my hands on, siphon it out, bring it home and fill the cars and the sleds...might take a couple trips...:(.

Gotta head back up there in the near future anyway to reattach the wood pieces I have as inner-fender walls on the trailer...all the bolts came out this summer somehow! Also, I have to replace YET ANOTHER trailer tire...lost one on the hwy yesterday. Was thinking of doing my bearings as well...so I've got a bit of work ahead of me.

Could use a little help in these endeavors, as well, because I also need to get the SRX into the bed of the new truck...definately a two man job.

redhotsommer
10-25-2010, 08:56 AM
As for just adding Stabil and then mixing with higher octane...I've already done the Stabil, so no problem there...but I am more than a bit worried about the freshness of the fuel with brand new mills.

The "Driven" 46 Cig burned down BOTH motors because he got bad fuel :(.

OBNOXUS
10-25-2010, 09:00 AM
Ill be spending some time towards South Haven soon helping the parentswith the new digs.

Ill give ya a hand one weekend.

This new ethanol fuel is going to be the death of us,,,,, we will all be filling up on the water soon.

I just read 15% was just approved,,,,, DO NOT put that in any boat, snowmobile, motorcycle etc.

MILD THUNDER
10-25-2010, 09:05 AM
Ill be spending some time towards South Haven soon helping the parentswith the new digs.

This new ethanol fuel is going to be the death of us,,,,, we will all be filling up on the water soon.

I just read 15% was just approved,,,,, DO NOT put that in any boat, snowmobile, motorcycle etc.

Or filling up at the gary airport! :D

MILD THUNDER
10-25-2010, 09:11 AM
I'd love to siphon it into Michelle's car or my Jeep...but the boat is in Michigan. So, I'm thinking I might just grab as many gas cans as I can get my hands on, siphon it out, bring it home and fill the cars and the sleds...might take a couple trips...:(.

Gotta head back up there in the near future anyway to reattach the wood pieces I have as inner-fender walls on the trailer...all the bolts came out this summer somehow! Also, I have to replace YET ANOTHER trailer tire...lost one on the hwy yesterday. Was thinking of doing my bearings as well...so I've got a bit of work ahead of me.

Could use a little help in these endeavors, as well, because I also need to get the SRX into the bed of the new truck...definately a two man job.

I might have a hookup on trailer tires for you. Theres a place in indiana, that sells trailer wheel/tire combos for not much more than the tire itself cost. My buddy matt who had the bullet bought 4 rims/tires brand new for like 700 bucks and bolted them on. They were the nice 5 star aluminum wheels like bz's trailer has. They also have the modular wheels, like my trailer. I'll look into it. I'd wait till spring though, no point in mounting fresh tires now only to sit all winter on them. Might be better to wait till spring, leave boat in slip for a night, and do bearings, tires, and inner fender well boards while boat is off the trailer...

are your wheels 5 or 6 lug? 15 or 16"?

B.Z.
10-25-2010, 09:14 AM

WOW that sux.....there goes the advantage of being on a trailer!!!

redhotsommer
10-25-2010, 10:11 AM
I've got 15", 6 lug. I'm just going to pick up another couple tires right here...I've got a guy that gets them for me pretty cheap.

Magic Medicine
10-25-2010, 10:12 AM
WOW that sux.....there goes the advantage of being on a trailer!!!

Ya, these shmo's don't give a hoot. The ethanol kills gas mileage. I think the key is to run it through as soon as possible. My boat was on E when I winterized it yesterday. I put a chit load of stabile in it, probably 5 times the recommended amount!

10x
10-25-2010, 10:22 AM
Mike, get yourself a Holley electric fuel pump. Attach some 1/2" hose to both ends about 15-20 ft. long each. Rig up a few feet of wire with clips on each end to clip to a battery. Have a toggle switch somewhere in the middle of the line to start & stop the flow. Get a couple 55 gal drums and put em in the bed of the truck. Pump the fuel from the boat into the drums. When you get home, either pump the fuel into smaller jugs, or put a couple unmounted tires behind the back of the tailgate, lay the drums down and roll em off onto the tires, stand em up and roll em into the garage or where ever you want to get em.
Those Holley blue pumps will flow 110 gph. It'll take you about a half hour to fill a drum. I've been doing this for the last 9 yrs every fall and spring, works fine for me. Plus, this is how I fuel the boat every weekend.

Joe, this guy from Joliet will come to your boat and measure it and cut a template out of plastic and snap the plastic to your snaps in the floor. That way he knows where to put the snaps into the carpet. I did this myself and just gave him the piece of plastic to make the carpet from, then showed him where I wanted the emblem at.

10x
10-25-2010, 10:28 AM
As for just adding Stabil and then mixing with higher octane...I've already done the Stabil, so no problem there...but I am more than a bit worried about the freshness of the fuel with brand new mills.

And Mike bought that fuel in Mi. right before him and Dave water tested the boat up there the day he took it home. SUCKS big time to get bad fuel right out of the pump. :cuss: Think I might've went back and lit that station up. :leaving: That's one reason why I always fuel with the "good" gas. LOL

Magic Medicine
10-25-2010, 11:33 AM

And Mike bought that fuel in Mi. right before him and Dave water tested the boat up there the day he took it home. SUCKS big time to get bad fuel right out of the pump. :cuss: Think I might've went back and lit that station up. :leaving: That's one reason why I always fuel with the "good" gas. LOL

I am assuming he fuel with stale 93 octane. There has to be some type of reprocussion??? I wonder what octane the fuel tested at????? I'd be pissed to say the least:cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss:

WETTE VETTE
10-25-2010, 12:22 PM
Get 20-30 gallons out of the full tanks and top them off with some 110-114 leaded octane for the first run with new mills. That will bring any lost octane back and the other additives in the leaded race fuel will be an added benefit for the first tanks. I have about 100 gallons of 112 leaded fuel that I paid $6.00/gallon if you want some and its just down the road from Andy.

MILD THUNDER
10-25-2010, 12:48 PM

That REALLY F'n sucks for Mike. Not always a sure thing, but i try to buy fuel from places that sell LOTS of it and stay away from the small stations that dont sell much, especially 93oct.

I'll get with ya on that carpet deal Frank. Thanks for the info.

eightsecmopar
10-25-2010, 04:35 PM
Pulled engines out for refresh and also putting the circulating pumps back on, pulled the drives and transom assemblies off, upgrading to HP gimbals. Replacing all cables.

specialk
10-25-2010, 05:43 PM
I dont know how they will get away with 15%. Service engine lights come on when the pcm starts reading 12% or so on everday vehicles. I dont think the manufactures will come up with a free calibration to avoid a MIL.

MILD THUNDER
10-25-2010, 06:26 PM
Pulled engines out for refresh and also putting the circulating pumps back on, pulled the drives and transom assemblies off, upgrading to HP gimbals. Replacing all cables.

nice! My buddies bullet had the hd gimbals too. Looks like your gonna be a busy bee.

OBNOXUS
10-25-2010, 07:22 PM
Put some Marine tech fuel in today,,,,while we were at Michigan City boating,,,, on OCT 25th !!!!

MILD THUNDER
10-25-2010, 07:40 PM
Put some Marine tech fuel in today,,,,while we were at Michigan City boating,,,, on OCT 25th !!!!

yup! Was nice and sunny running down the cal sag at 80+ today!! :D

Magic Medicine
10-25-2010, 09:28 PM

yup! Was nice and sunny running down the cal sag at 80+ today!! :D

:cuss::cuss::cuss:
Must be nice. Some of us had to work.:cuss:

OBNOXUS
10-25-2010, 09:43 PM
:cuss::cuss::cuss:
Must be nice. Some of us had to work.:cuss:

we had one for you ,,,,, no worries !!

OBNOXUS
10-25-2010, 09:49 PM
Andy,

I get a job "finally" and how many times do you think Dennis took me out on a Friday or Monday.......maybe 1!

I get pictures texted to me of my boat sitting on the wall......guess what my response was?

Mrs. OB:cuss:

MILD THUNDER
10-25-2010, 10:26 PM
Andy,

I get a job "finally" and how many times do you think Dennis took me out on a Friday or Monday.......maybe 1!

I get pictures texted to me of my boat sitting on the wall......guess what my response was?

Congrats on the new job! What ya doin?

OBNOXUS
10-26-2010, 07:22 AM
Thanks Joe! I'm working for PAR Trucking - Office Manager! Father and Son owned business, dad is retiring to AZ and I'm going to be taking over for him! Going good so far!

Mrs. OB

Magic Medicine
10-26-2010, 07:57 AM
Andy,

Congrats on the new job! What ya doin?

x2 Congrats!! Whatcha doing??????:hurray::hurray:

Magic Medicine
10-26-2010, 07:57 AM
we had one for you ,,,,, no worries !!

If it was you having one for me I know its wasn't a beer. Who was along for the ride?

Magic Medicine
10-26-2010, 07:58 AM
Thanks Joe! I'm working for PAR Trucking - Office Manager! Father and Son owned business, dad is retiring to AZ and I'm going to be taking over for him! Going good so far!

Mrs. OB

COOL:cool:

redhotsommer
10-26-2010, 08:30 AM
If it was you having one for me I know its wasn't a beer. Who was along for the ride?

Me, Rick and Kevin.

MILD THUNDER
10-26-2010, 08:58 AM

Mrs. OB

Good deal! They are a freight company aren't they?

OBNOXUS
10-27-2010, 08:08 AM
Good deal! They are a freight company aren't they?

Tankers, we haul hazardous materials!

Mrs. OB

Tony M
10-27-2010, 08:35 AM
Tankers, we haul hazardous materials!

Mrs. OB Thats Alot of work always hated those dam diamond placards, Good Luck With the new Job. :cool:.

Magic Medicine
10-30-2010, 08:19 AM
Tony

Speaking of winter projects you get your boat sold yet. I seen you asking alot of questions on OSO lately. Whats up dude???

Tony M
10-30-2010, 08:32 AM
Tony

Speaking of winter projects you get your boat sold yet. I seen you asking alot of questions on OSO lately. Whats up dude??? Your Bissness !:biggrinjester:.

redhotsommer
10-30-2010, 12:22 PM
I know, I know! :)

MILICEVICGM
10-30-2010, 05:44 PM
I know, I know! :)

Go ahead and let us in on the secret.............

Tony M
10-30-2010, 07:12 PM
I know, I know! :) Water Ther Matey !:toetap05:. For I Cut Yer Liver Outta!:toetap05: :USA:.

Tony M
10-30-2010, 07:26 PM
Go ahead and let us in on the secret............. Just Kick Back an Have Some erb! :sifone:. :huh:, What!He Said!

B.Z.
10-31-2010, 07:57 PM
OK no winter projects to report but it's official the season is done for me ... anti-freeze running thru the motors and it's in the barn!!!!

Boatfreak
10-31-2010, 08:31 PM
We just got home from a great weekend on Cumberland. It was just a houseboat trip but it was a perfect weekend. I hope to get my boat down to the factory soon to redo the interior and head South for the Keys.

CSCinc
10-31-2010, 09:49 PM

Think the problem was the old fuel never got pumped out of the boat:huh:

redhotsommer
11-01-2010, 05:29 AM
Think the problem was the old fuel never got pumped out of the boat:huh:

Dave said he pumped 250 gallons of 3-year-old fuel out of it. Plus, he ran it for over 3 hours with no problems...it was the second refill that did it.

CSCinc
11-01-2010, 08:17 PM
Well there are some details left out about this situation, but on another note Dave is standing by his work so you cant complain about that............... Alot more then most engine builders out there

redhotsommer
11-01-2010, 08:43 PM
Well there are some details left out about this situation, but on another note Dave is standing by his work so you cant complain about that............... Alot more then most engine builders out there

Just out of curiousity...what might have been left out? I actually spoke with Dave when I dropped my motors off...:confused:

CSCinc
11-01-2010, 09:25 PM
Not bashing anybody so dont get the wrong idea

redhotsommer
11-01-2010, 09:34 PM
Didn't say you were...just curious as to what you know that's different from what I know...pm me if you want.

CSCinc
11-01-2010, 10:14 PM
Joe can you throw so stable in the BT too, and maybe a quick wash..... jus askin :eek:

MILD THUNDER
11-01-2010, 10:24 PM
Joe can you throw so stable in the BT too, and maybe a quick wash..... jus askin :eek:

No stabil here, but i can put some seafoam in it. Your dad says he loves that $hit.

As for a wash, i have some secret sauce of my own you can try, but with this stuff you gotta rub it out first before you can use it. :sifone:

OBNOXUS
11-02-2010, 08:29 AM
TMI,,,,,TMI !!!!!!!

Tony M
11-02-2010, 09:17 AM
TMI,,,,,TMI !!!!!!! Azz Pig :bump: :biggrinjester:

SC288
01-10-2011, 11:15 AM
Bad picture but the intakes and carbs. are on....new Teague polished aluminum valve covers will be installed in the next few weeks. Also the blocks have been sanded and painted. Thanks Schlepp Racing!!!

MILD THUNDER
01-10-2011, 11:38 AM
Bad picture but the intakes and carbs. are on....new Teague polished aluminum valve covers will be installed in the next few weeks. Also the blocks have been sanded and painted. Thanks Schlepp Racing!!!

Lookin good! Your carbs would look sweet with some black paint..Maybe some of the black/aluminum AN fittings for the fuel lines??

SC288
01-10-2011, 11:44 AM
Lookin good! Your carbs would look sweet with some black paint..Maybe some of the black/aluminum AN fittings for the fuel lines??

Thanks Joe! I am still thinking about painting them but am leaning towards leaving them natural. I am going to wait until I have the valve covers and MSD installed to see how it looks together.

10x
01-10-2011, 01:01 PM
Just out of curiousity...what might have been left out? I actually spoke with Dave when I dropped my motors off...:confused:

Just for the record....................... All the old fuel WAS pumped out when the boat was received at the shop. The fuel filters were new and used. There was 200 gals of fuel put in the boat by Dave before the 2 hour seatrial of runnin the $hit out of it on lake Michigan. The boat was then taken by the owner to Hammond and put in a slip. The next day, the owner and 4 friends ran the boat to Chicago and started heading back to Hammond. On the way back the owner started to run the boat full throttle for a while. Then one engine started to make "weird noises' LMAO:rolleyes: so they shut down and opened the hatch. They found oil sprayed all over the engine compartment. So, they came back in the harbor on the other engine.
Once back on the trailer they called Dave, and he told them to bring the boat back to the shop, which they did that day. Once back at the shop, Dave found that "both" engines were hurt, so he pulled both engines. Upon taking them apart, the one engine had melted large holes into the center of ALL the pistons, and the other engine had pistons that showed serious signs of detonation too.

First thing that they thought, was that they bought a load of bad gas at the gas station. So, Dave went to pump some fuel out to have it tested for specific gravity to determine the octane. When he turned the keys on to run the electric fuel pumps, both fuel gauges were below "E" !! They did'nt even move. :huh: So, then he tried running the fuel pumps, and the pump from the side that toasted the engine, would'nt even pump ANY fuel out of it. It was totally dry. So they ran a line into the tank through the inspection hole where the sender is, and they sucked out 6 gals of fuel, out of a 160 gal tank. The other tank had 9 gallons of fuel that was sucked out the same way. The fuel was tested and it was fine.
The owner was called and was asked when was the last time he put fuel into the boat. He said that it was right before they put it in the water for the sea trial and that was the only time.
So, the boat was run at WOT for about a 2 hour window to sea trial it, and it had 200 gals of fuel in it. Then it went from Hammond to Chicago, and back towards Hammond at full throttle, and when approaching Hammond the one engine melted down. It RAN OUT OF GAS !!! leaned out the blower motor and melted the pistons. PERIOD

When the guys came back to pick up the boat a few weeks later after Dave rebuilt both engines and reinstalled them into the boat again, he asked all the guys that were in the boat at the time it "blewup" if any of them know how to read a gauge. They all looked at each other and said sure we do. Then Dave asked them why nobody in the boat bothered to look at the fuel gauges, cause both tanks were empty, that's what burned the motors down

They said that they thought that the 200 gals of fuel that was put in before they ran it at the sea trial was enough to last for a while. And how come if the boat ran out of fuel, the engines did'nt just shut off ??? I could'nt believe anyone would even say that. :rolleyes: A blower motor don't just shut off when you run it out of fuel and lean out the engine.

Dave completely rebuilt both engines, dyno'd them again, and installed them into the boat, and the problem was'nt his fault at all.

Morrow of the story............... watch your gauges, especially the fuel gauge. LOL

redhotsommer
01-10-2011, 02:03 PM
Thanks for the info Frank!

MILD THUNDER
01-10-2011, 08:56 PM
Just for the record....................... All the old fuel WAS pumped out when the boat was received at the shop. The fuel filters were new and used. There was 200 gals of fuel put in the boat by Dave before the 2 hour seatrial of runnin the $hit out of it on lake Michigan. The boat was then taken by the owner to Hammond and put in a slip. The next day, the owner and 4 friends ran the boat to Chicago and started heading back to Hammond. On the way back the owner started to run the boat full throttle for a while. Then one engine started to make "weird noises' LMAO:rolleyes: so they shut down and opened the hatch. They found oil sprayed all over the engine compartment. So, they came back in the harbor on the other engine.
Once back on the trailer they called Dave, and he told them to bring the boat back to the shop, which they did that day. Once back at the shop, Dave found that "both" engines were hurt, so he pulled both engines. Upon taking them apart, the one engine had melted large holes into the center of ALL the pistons, and the other engine had pistons that showed serious signs of detonation too.

First thing that they thought, was that they bought a load of bad gas at the gas station. So, Dave went to pump some fuel out to have it tested for specific gravity to determine the octane. When he turned the keys on to run the electric fuel pumps, both fuel gauges were below "E" !! They did'nt even move. :huh: So, then he tried running the fuel pumps, and the pump from the side that toasted the engine, would'nt even pump ANY fuel out of it. It was totally dry. So they ran a line into the tank through the inspection hole where the sender is, and they sucked out 6 gals of fuel, out of a 160 gal tank. The other tank had 9 gallons of fuel that was sucked out the same way. The fuel was tested and it was fine.
The owner was called and was asked when was the last time he put fuel into the boat. He said that it was right before they put it in the water for the sea trial and that was the only time.
So, the boat was run at WOT for about a 2 hour window to sea trial it, and it had 200 gals of fuel in it. Then it went from Hammond to Chicago, and back towards Hammond at full throttle, and when approaching Hammond the one engine melted down. It RAN OUT OF GAS !!! leaned out the blower motor and melted the pistons. PERIOD

When the guys came back to pick up the boat a few weeks later after Dave rebuilt both engines and reinstalled them into the boat again, he asked all the guys that were in the boat at the time it "blewup" if any of them know how to read a gauge. They all looked at each other and said sure we do. Then Dave asked them why nobody in the boat bothered to look at the fuel gauges, cause both tanks were empty, that's what burned the motors down

They said that they thought that the 200 gals of fuel that was put in before they ran it at the sea trial was enough to last for a while. And how come if the boat ran out of fuel, the engines did'nt just shut off ??? I could'nt believe anyone would even say that. :rolleyes: A blower motor don't just shut off when you run it out of fuel and lean out the engine.

Dave completely rebuilt both engines, dyno'd them again, and installed them into the boat, and the problem was'nt his fault at all.

Morrow of the story............... watch your gauges, especially the fuel gauge. LOL

I had a buddy do something similar with a blower motor. he didnt run it out of fuel, but had it setup way lean, with too much compression in the first place with his setup. Burnt up some pistons. I asked what his oil temp was showing before it let go, he said around 320 degrees :ack2: Oil gets real hot when the pistons start glowing!

Irrelevent though, like Frank says, with a blower motor you dont get second chances. I first heard something about bad gas getting pumped in, but couldnt totally believe that in my head. Running them out of fuel, and melting the pistons and pumping oil all over the bilge, this i can believe 100%. Not that bad gas couldnt do damage, but the boat ran flawless for the sea trial. They probably went thru 150 of that 200 gallons on the sea trial. If the gas was bad, there would have been issues on the sea trial. Once that fuel level drops down that low in the tanks, with sloshing around, pumps sucking air, starving the engines, kaboom. Game over. :(

10x
01-10-2011, 11:08 PM
You got the picture there Joe. I know 1st hand that a 46 Cig with big power, will burn 2 gals per mile for both engines just cruising at 4000 rpm, without any WOT running. I ran a 46 (strip poker) from Chicago to boaters beach and back, averaging about 70-75 mph, and when I got back to the boat launch the tanks read both at 1/2. 160 gallon tanks, 80 gals per engine to go 80 miles, 2 gals to the mile. Costly trip to the beach. LOL :eek:

WETTE VETTE
01-10-2011, 11:13 PM
Can you say fuel pressure switch and a big old shift light shining in your face? :cheers2:

WETTE VETTE
01-10-2011, 11:46 PM

Those look nice Mike. I sure hope those intakes don't leak like a sieve since we didn't use those cork end seals that came in the package.:willy_nilly:

MILD THUNDER
01-11-2011, 10:02 AM
Those look nice Mike. I sure hope those intakes don't leak like a sieve since we didn't use those cork end seals that came in the package.:willy_nilly:

Uh oh, u didn't put the cork seals under the intake in the front and back? What kind of backyard engine building is goin on over there? Lemme guess, wette vette slapped a bunch of silicone in there.....you Indiana guys, Idk..

j/k....your fine. No worries! That's how its done.....:boobflash:

MILD THUNDER
01-11-2011, 10:13 AM
Can you say fuel pressure switch and a big old shift light shining in your face? :cheers2:

I plan to do this. Warning buzzer is nice, led warning lights are cool, but would like to tap into the ignition
, so that in the event of oil pressure loss, or fuel psi loss, the ignition cuts out. I'm pretty anal about watching gauges, but there's always that time when you are in rough water running hard and you are watching the water. Merc does this on their new stuff don't they?

Twin Whackas
01-11-2011, 02:32 PM
The only gauge I ever watch is my fuel gauge getting lower and lower.
With my keen sense of hearing, I can tell when something is not running right, I don't need no stinkin gauges to tell me that. :biggrinjester:

WETTE VETTE
01-11-2011, 03:32 PM
With my keen sense of hearing, I can tell when something is not running right, I don't need no stinkin gauges to tell me that. :biggrinjester:

Yea, like the sound of the broken rods knocking the pan off the bottom of the motor? Good save!:cheers2:

SC288
01-11-2011, 03:58 PM
Yea, like the sound of the broken rods knocking the pan off the bottom of the motor? Good save!:cheers2:

:rofl:

Magic Medicine
01-11-2011, 04:13 PM

Poor ole stump can't catch a break:rofl:

WETTE VETTE
01-11-2011, 05:15 PM
I plan to do this. Warning buzzer is nice, led warning lights are cool, but would like to tap into the ignition
, so that in the event of oil pressure loss, or fuel psi loss, the ignition cuts out. I'm pretty anal about watching gauges, but there's always that time when you are in rough water running hard and you are watching the water. Merc does this on their new stuff don't they?

Not for sure but I think the merc motors will just go into some kind of limp mode. Personally I would rather have a warning system rather than a complete shut down. Make sure you have adequate fuel supply to maintain 8 PSI at WOT and set the warning to come on at 5 PSI, which gives you some cushion. For oil pressure have the warning come on at 15 PSI or preferrably somehwere below what the pressure is at idle with the engine hot. On my boat I don't really want the engine to shut off while turning 6700 RPM at 125 MPH. I just don't like the idea of that!

MILD THUNDER
01-12-2011, 10:58 AM
Not for sure but I think the merc motors will just go into some kind of limp mode. Personally I would rather have a warning system rather than a complete shut down. Make sure you have adequate fuel supply to maintain 8 PSI at WOT and set the warning to come on at 5 PSI, which gives you some cushion. For oil pressure have the warning come on at 15 PSI or preferrably somehwere below what the pressure is at idle with the engine hot. On my boat I don't really want the engine to shut off while turning 6700 RPM at 125 MPH. I just don't like the idea of that!

I hear ya on the safety part, especially in your ride!

SC288
02-26-2011, 09:53 PM
Just got back from WETTE VETTE's dad's shop tonight. We were able to get the valve covers installed + a few other odds and ends. Back tomorrow to start installing accessories etc....I listed a few pics. for you. Craig is also helping a friend build a 496 per the pics. below....he is an awesome engine builder and Supervisor as the pic. shows below. ;)

MILD THUNDER
02-27-2011, 11:17 AM
Engines lookin good!!! Im sure with Craig's help you'll be running good too. Keep us updated...

SC288
02-27-2011, 03:37 PM
Engines lookin good!!! Im sure with Craig's help you'll be running good too. Keep us updated...

Thanks Joe....I got the water necks put on today as well as the temp. senders etc. Hopefully next weekend we can get the MSD installed as well as start bolting up accessories and the headers.

redhotsommer
02-27-2011, 06:52 PM
Ordered up my -2 shorty cases on Friday. Just about time to start thinking SPRING...
Hoping to get one more weekend on the sleds...

WETTE VETTE
02-27-2011, 06:52 PM
Just got back from WETTE VETTE's dad's shop tonight. We were able to get the valve covers installed + a few other odds and ends. Back tomorrow to start installing accessories etc....I listed a few pics. for you. Craig is also helping a friend build a 496 per the pics. below....he is an awesome engine builder and Supervisor as the pic. shows below. ;)

I like these type of projects! Its fun spending someone else's money for a change. Not cool when the supervisor accidently slices his hand open with a razor though.:cheers2:

SC288
02-27-2011, 07:02 PM
Not cool when the supervisor accidently slices his hand open with a razor though.:cheers2:[/QUOTE]

This is how it went.....

Me: Hey Craig why don't you put that in the vise so you don't slice your hand open with that razor blade

Craig: I'll be fine.....slice

WETTE VETTE
02-27-2011, 07:07 PM
Not cool when the supervisor accidently slices his hand open with a razor though.:cheers2:

This is how it went.....

Me: Hey Craig why don't you put that in the vise so you don't slice your hand open with that razor blade

Craig: I'll be fine.....slice[/QUOTE]

LOL! That's pretty accurate. Oh well a quick trip into the house, a little rubbing alcohol and some super glue and it was back to work.:willy_nilly:

MILD THUNDER
02-27-2011, 08:26 PM
Ordered up my -2 shorty cases on Friday. Just about time to start thinking SPRING...
Hoping to get one more weekend on the sleds...

Nice! My new gauges should be here tomorrow. Today I got to go thru some of the wiring issues i never got around to last year with the boat. Got my Cabin lights back working like factory. Never knew how many lights were actually in the cabin! Lots of Flourescents. Got stereo wired how the factory did it. Someone really botched up some of the wiring..Distributors should be back from MSD from getting rebuilt. Work is gettin done..:D

Hammer01
02-28-2011, 04:02 PM
Joe, we kind of think if you would do less avatar work at the shop and more cosmetics, you will be ready to roll in no time. LOL Cant wait to see the dash work and interior mods!!!

SC288
03-06-2011, 09:06 PM
Well I am getting a little bit closer....all that is left is to make the MSD plug wires, install the distributors, fabricate brackets for the MSD ignition boxes and wire it all up.

On a side note the 496 is finished and on it's way into the boat.

teamsynergy
03-06-2011, 10:45 PM
Nice! My new gauges should be here tomorrow. Today I got to go thru some of the wiring issues i never got around to last year with the boat. Got my Cabin lights back working like factory. Never knew how many lights were actually in the cabin! Lots of Flourescents. Got stereo wired how the factory did it. Someone really botched up some of the wiring..Distributors should be back from MSD from getting rebuilt. Work is gettin done..:D

Now all you have to do is fab up a gauge cluster out of some lexan and you'll be solid!!! :lurk5:

MILD THUNDER
03-07-2011, 12:59 AM
Now all you have to do is fab up a gauge cluster out of some lexan and you'll be solid!!! :lurk5:

Pulled drives this weekend. Wanted to inspect u joints, paint, grease splines, and reinstall. Had my carpenter friend build me some sweet drive stands. They roll right under the drive, unbolt drive, roll stand back with drive on it. Reinstall same way. No lifting necessary! Which is nice, these speedmasters weigh a ton!

MILD THUNDER
03-07-2011, 01:04 AM
:driving:

teamsynergy
03-07-2011, 08:39 AM
Any luck yet on the dash parts yet???

Magic Medicine
03-07-2011, 08:56 AM
Pulled drives this weekend. Wanted to inspect u joints, paint, grease splines, and reinstall. Had my carpenter friend build me some sweet drive stands. They roll right under the drive, unbolt drive, roll stand back with drive on it. Reinstall same way. No lifting necessary! Which is nice, these speedmasters weigh a ton!

Heard you and Ryno were busy this weekend. I got all the sleds summerized this weekend. JJ managed to break his mini z on Sunday, chip off the old block.

teamsynergy
03-07-2011, 02:52 PM
Heard you and Ryno were busy this weekend. I got all the sleds summerized this weekend. JJ managed to break his mini z on Sunday, chip off the old block.

Mini z's weren't meant to grass drag... :smash:

Magic Medicine
03-07-2011, 05:48 PM
Mini z's weren't meant to grass drag... :smash:

The snow conditions were better than some of the chit you have drug me out to ride in:rolleyes:

teamsynergy
03-07-2011, 08:48 PM
Quit being a little girl...it was one time and it was 12" of fluff!

Magic Medicine
03-08-2011, 09:01 AM
Quit being a little girl...it was one time and it was 12" of fluff!

12" using your tape measure and we all know how you measure:smash:

redhotsommer
03-09-2011, 02:57 PM
Spoke to Mr. Wesseldyk yesterday...valve job is done, rotating assemblies are put together and balanced, all parts are bought and ready to go, blocks are supposed to be honed this week....after that it's put them together and get them on the dyno.

Got my boat home, have to get the bilge cleaned up, pump out the old gas, do the bearings on the trailer, presure test my new exhaust and fix my GPS speedo if possible.

Also...my shorty cases are here...Obnoxus, I'll be heading your way soon...

teamsynergy
03-09-2011, 03:47 PM
When are you planning on being back on the water testing props?

OBNOXUS
03-09-2011, 04:57 PM
Spoke to Mr. Wesseldyk yesterday...valve job is done, rotating assemblies are put together and balanced, all parts are bought and ready to go, blocks are supposed to be honed this week....after that it's put them together and get them on the dyno.

Got my boat home, have to get the bilge cleaned up, pump out the old gas, do the bearings on the trailer, presure test my new exhaust and fix my GPS speedo if possible.

Ill be by tomorrow to check that other thing to

Magic Medicine
03-09-2011, 05:02 PM

AWESOME!!!!!

redhotsommer
03-09-2011, 05:22 PM
Not sure Todd...motors have to get dynoed, drives need to get done, and boat needs to be rigged...

...hopefully by May?

SC288
03-09-2011, 06:36 PM
Not sure Todd...motors have to get dynoed, drives need to get done, and boat needs to be rigged...

...hopefully by May?

Awesome Mike....are you going to go watch them be dyno'd? I am keeping my fingers crossed for running the first time around the first or second week of May on good ole Pine Lake.

redhotsommer
03-09-2011, 07:50 PM
I'd like to....I'll be up there for a bike race in a couple weeks..ideally I'd like to swing by on Friday...we'll see if it works out.

redhotsommer
03-13-2011, 09:59 AM
Job #1 off the checklist...all the gas is out. Looks like I was actually pretty close when I guessed 50 gallons...topped off my Jeep, Joe's car, and my buddy Mark's Explorer...then had 12 gallons left to put in my bro-in-law Bob's new boat.

Next it's drives down to Obnoxus for the shorty install...then boat down there for a new steering pin and a new gimbal bearing on the stbd side.

MILD THUNDER
03-13-2011, 11:03 AM
Job #1 off the checklist...all the gas is out. Looks like I was actually pretty close when I guessed 50 gallons...topped off my Jeep, Joe's car, and my buddy Mark's Explorer...then had 12 gallons left to put in my bro-in-law Bob's new boat.

Next it's drives down to Obnoxus for the shorty install...then boat down there for a new steering pin and a new gimbal bearing on the stbd side.

I got a free tank of gas, wendy's, and find a bad gimbal bearing. The way i see it, it cost you a few hundo to have me come over!! :(

Ill get with ya via email on those exhaust parts....

SC288
03-13-2011, 05:24 PM

How'd you get the gas out....still have to do that.

redhotsommer
03-13-2011, 06:13 PM
I found an old Zep soap pump that was laying around the shop...hooked some clear hose to it and stuck the other end down into the tanks by the fuel-level sending units. Initially, the only hose I had was a 1/4" i.d....took FOREVER. So I bought some with a 3/8 id...we drained the second tank so fast I was running out of gas cans to put it in. All you need is something to start the siphon.

MILD THUNDER
03-13-2011, 08:00 PM
I found an old Zep soap pump that was laying around the shop...hooked some clear hose to it and stuck the other end down into the tanks by the fuel-level sending units. Initially, the only hose I had was a 1/4" i.d....took FOREVER. So I bought some with a 3/8 id...we drained the second tank so fast I was running out of gas cans to put it in. All you need is something to start the siphon.

I believe autozone and those places sell a 5 dollar hand siphon pump. Mike and i went to ace hardware, and bought about 12FT of clear 3/8 hose. Like he said, the 1/4" hose woulda took us two days to get it out.

MILD THUNDER
03-16-2011, 09:18 AM
Heres some pics of some little stuff i been working on. Some decals for the deck.....

teamsynergy
03-16-2011, 09:38 AM
Pretty...

MILD THUNDER
03-16-2011, 09:40 AM
Decided to pull the drives off, and inspect the u-joints, etc. Let me tell ya, it was a CHORE. Wherever this boat sat, supposedly in a river in ohio, was some seriously corrosive water. They had anodes everywhere on the transom. Trim Tabs had anodes, tie bar had anodes, drives, ...For those of you who know how aluminum and stainless become "one" when they corrode, you know what im talking about! Took me two days of soaking the bellhousing studs, and beating the drive off using wood wedges between the drive bellhousing and the drive. The port side wasnt too bad, but the starboard side, was a nightmare.

For some of you who had saw the transom up close out of the water, the paint on the tabs was flaking off, and the drives weren't too pretty. I have always loved the satin unpainted lowers on speedmasters. However, these, were just too pitted to make look good. Soo, Ryan and i decided to just paint them. Skim coated them filling in all the pits, sanded, and painted. They are smooth as a baby's bottom now.

Still have alot of cleanup work to do on the transom area, but its coming along...

SC288
03-16-2011, 10:41 AM
Lookin' good Joe!

baronmarine
03-16-2011, 01:04 PM

mike

sheri and i had dinner saturday night with some friends. dave & jody being two of them. i was checking on them there engines for you, sounds like a nice package. should perk big red right up.

todd

redhotsommer
03-16-2011, 01:24 PM
Thanks Todd! Now Dave knows....my spies are EVERYWHERE! :)

10x
03-16-2011, 02:29 PM
Joe, if ya like the look of the aluminum bottoms on the SSM's, you should've painted the bottoms silver. Just a thought. :confused:

teamsynergy
03-16-2011, 02:46 PM
Lookin' sharp Joe!

Magic Medicine
03-16-2011, 03:04 PM
Looking good Joe!

MILD THUNDER
03-16-2011, 04:30 PM
Joe, if ya like the look of the aluminum bottoms on the SSM's, you should've painted the bottoms silver. Just a thought. :confused:

Thats what we were gonna do at first. We had silver down, but didnt care for the look. We tried the red, which matches the trailer perfectly, and decided we liked that better. But the beauty of paint is its always something we can change! If I decide to add boxes next year, i may do the boxes, transoms, drives, all red...

ICDEDPPL
03-20-2011, 11:12 AM
Red my favorite color! Looks great.
Dumb question : whose boat is that?:ack2:

MILD THUNDER
03-20-2011, 01:18 PM
Red my favorite color! Looks great.
Dumb question : whose boat is that?:ack2:

Mine! :driving:

SC288
03-20-2011, 05:30 PM
MSD Brackets are made and installed....Craig made the plug wires for me....Distributors installed as well. I also installed new impellers today as well as a few other misc. things. All we have to do now is wire up the MSD boxes and a few other misc. things which should take one more day and they will be ready to go in the boat! :hurray:

MILD THUNDER
03-20-2011, 06:24 PM
Lookin good mike. Like the bracket for the MSD box. Might wanna pick up a set of these. They help the boxes last when mounted on the engine. You gonna run rev limiters? Looks like you got enough space to mount the limiter box right next to your brain box...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-8823/

SC288
03-20-2011, 08:56 PM
Lookin good mike. Like the bracket for the MSD box. Might wanna pick up a set of these. They help the boxes last when mounted on the engine. You gonna run rev limiters? Looks like you got enough space to mount the limiter box right next to your brain box...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-8823/

Good point Joe....the bracket that you see the mercathode bolted to is bolted to the back of the head and is on rubber mounts already....the stock Merc. rev limiter and ignition module were mounted under the mercathode and hidden. Because of this I'm not sure whether to run the vib. mounts or not. Also I am running the 6M-2L boxes that have the soft touch rev limiter built in so yes I will be running limiters. I am just trying to figure out whether to run 5,400 pils or 6,000 pils....the 5,400 pils would have been nice for our fun run last year on Lake Michigan....could of just buried the throttles and not really worried about it.

How do those rubber mounts work....is there a threaded insert on the bottom side of where the stud is?

10x
03-20-2011, 09:09 PM
Right from MSD : You need to have the rev chip that's 5-600 rpm over your highest wot rpm. If your engine runs 54-5500 rpm @ wot, then use the 6K chip. Running the chip any closer than that will result in box failure over constant banging the limiter when running in & out of a chop.

SC288
03-20-2011, 09:22 PM
Yeah Frank I think I will just stick with the 6,000 RPM pils then. What are your guy's thoughts on the vib. mounts since the steel bracket the Mercathode is bolted to is on rubber mounts already? We put some spacers underneath the MSD bracket to space it over the Mercathode itself so there is clearance there. :cheers2:

MILD THUNDER
03-20-2011, 09:50 PM
Yeah Frank I think I will just stick with the 6,000 RPM pils then. What are your guy's thoughts on the vib. mounts since the steel bracket the Mercathode is bolted to is on rubber mounts already? We put some spacers underneath the MSD bracket to space it over the Mercathode itself so there is clearance there. :cheers2:

I have 6000RPM chips in my limiters, I turn no more than 5500 though. I have the separate MSD soft touch limiters, as they arent built into my marine boxes (older ones). I see lots of guys complaining about the MSD boxes failing, but Ive always had mine mounted on the transom, and knock on wood have had good luck with them. As for the vibration mounts, for 12 bucks a set, i'd go for it. They cant hurt.

Also, I just sent my MSD distributors back to MSD for rebuilds. For what they charge, i couldnt have done them myself for that kind of money. They literally came back brand spankin new looking, with new gear, bearing, reluctor wheel, pickup, weights, springs, and cap and rotors. I just swapped springs out for the timing curve i run, and good as new. They were awfully rusted and what not inside them.

10x
03-21-2011, 11:26 AM

The 6000 pils should be perfect for what you're doing. For $12, it's like cheap insurance against any vibrations. I don't have em on mine, I have them bolted to a shelf on my transom, probably just like Joe has. Now watch, I'll have a problem. LOL :rolleyes:

redhotsommer
03-29-2011, 12:09 PM
My motors will be going together next week...just got these pics from Dave...

redhotsommer
03-29-2011, 12:10 PM
I actually emailed him back right away and asked if I could cancel my order and just have him put the ones to the left in the first pic in my boat...

Payton
03-29-2011, 02:00 PM
i was going to ask how those square heads will bolt onto those round turbines?

MILD THUNDER
03-29-2011, 03:57 PM
Gotta feel good knowing your motors are surrounded by turbine's, and all those other big power blower motors! First time I visited Dave's shop, I was blown away by all the pieces in there. If he wasn't as good as they say he is, would there really be all those style engines in his shop? lol I have been in lots of other machine shops, and if you saw a 14-71 billet blower, let alone turbines, it was rare!!!

If you ask, im sure Dave would have no issues strapping some compressors on top of yours....its still not too late!! Bravo schmavo.......we'll just put some speedmasters on it!

redhotsommer
03-29-2011, 04:21 PM
His reply was something along the lines of "you might be a bit short on drives." Oh...and he said he'd get started right away...all I had to do was put down 1/2 price...$75k. :willy_nilly:

SC288
03-29-2011, 06:25 PM
Good news Mike....any updates on when they will be ready for the boat?

redhotsommer
03-29-2011, 09:00 PM
Should be together next week. As for the boat...it's got to get ready as well. Dennis? Can I come down and play this weekend?

OBNOXUS
03-29-2011, 09:35 PM
The Fountain leaves for Mitch Saturday,,,,your next

10x
03-29-2011, 09:39 PM
Lookin good Mike. You're gonna be happier than a sissy in boys town when this thing goes all back together. LOL :cheers2:

OBNOXUS
03-29-2011, 10:10 PM
The only 90 MPH boat that cant go over 75 !!!!!!!

redhotsommer
03-30-2011, 08:11 AM
I'll probably be there on Saturday afternoon, then. Trying to get my trailer bearings done on Friday.

Twin Whackas
03-30-2011, 01:12 PM
Are these still gonna be 87/89 octane motors?

SC288
03-30-2011, 02:37 PM
Also are they going to be fuel injected using your MPI intakes etc. or are they going to have carbs?

MILD THUNDER
03-30-2011, 04:10 PM
Also are they going to be fuel injected using your MPI intakes etc. or are they going to have carbs?

He is going to Carbs. 540's and stock 454/502 magnum EFI units=TURD. :D

OBNOXUS
03-30-2011, 05:01 PM
I'll probably be there on Saturday afternoon, then. Trying to get my trailer bearings done on Friday.

Did I mention how joey's boat is getting to Mitcher Ts ???

MILD THUNDER
03-30-2011, 05:06 PM
Did I mention how joey's boat is getting to Mitcher Ts ???

lol, Joey told me at the baby shower, he wasn't gonna buy a truck this year, since you have yours around. :huh: :D

redhotsommer
03-30-2011, 08:11 PM
Ahh...I see. Will you be at the shop on Sunday, then?

Mikes...they will be 87 octane, 850 cfm carbs on top.

OBNOXUS
03-30-2011, 09:30 PM
lol, Joey told me at the baby shower, he wasn't gonna buy a truck this year, since you have yours around. :huh: :D

That's cool,,,,,I charge by the mile !!!! :driving:

OBNOXUS
03-30-2011, 09:37 PM
Ahh...I see. Will you be at the shop on Sunday

But of course,,,,,I hate boats !!! :ack2:

redhotsommer
04-01-2011, 07:00 PM
Do yourselves a favor and check your trailer bearings, kids. I had two that were "compromised"...one had the inner bearing completely toasted. A good $100 investment, I must say.

MILD THUNDER
04-01-2011, 07:55 PM
Do yourselves a favor and check your trailer bearings, kids. I had two that were "compromised"...one had the inner bearing completely toasted. A good $100 investment, I must say.

Well, you need to grease them Mike. :eek:

One reason I like greasable axles over bearing buddies! Good find though! :sifone:

OBNOXUS
04-02-2011, 12:24 AM
I replace mine every year before the south haven trip,,,, and check them before loto if we go.

Should really do it more then that,,,,but it only went 5 miles each way to the launch and back all last year !!!!

MILD THUNDER
04-02-2011, 09:22 AM
I am always so paranoid about my trailers...Mike, remember the trip to ishpeming with my enclosed 4 place sled trailer?? Not a lack of grease, but lug nuts coming loose caused one of the wheels to decide to go rolling down the highway on its own....

I recall andy towing my trailer, me following him, and hippie kid behind us. We were all chatting on our CB radio's, when I keyed up telling mikey to watch out, theres a wheel rolling towards us! Wait! thats my wheel! Thats was fun in the middle of nowhere fixing that...new studs and lugs were needed...

Same thing happened to my friend Matt with his 31 Cig. He lost a wheel goin down I-355. Wheel came off, passed him, and it was never found..Took the studs out with it too. Hard to believe something so basic as a trailer can have so many problems as they do!

I with Big D. I'd say every spring, its a good idea to remove all wheels, inspect or replace bearings and seals, inspect and adjust brakes, grease everything up good, and inspect trailer tires for any signs of cracking, on sidewalls and in between tread lugs. And routinely check lugs for tightness! And of course, proper air psi in the tires. They may look ok, but a tire rated for 80psi, only having say 30-40psi, has substantially less weight capacity, and will get hot. Don't eyeball them. Put a air gauge on em to be sure, and Air them babies up.

Ratickle
04-02-2011, 10:40 AM
The Fountain leaves for Mitch Saturday,,,,your next

"T" ?

Magic Medicine
04-02-2011, 11:39 AM
:cheers2:
"T" ?

Yep

Ratickle
04-02-2011, 07:04 PM
:cheers2:

Yep

Sweet.....

Maybe I'll have to sneek over and get some spy pics........:rolleyes:

OBNOXUS
04-02-2011, 08:24 PM
yeah,,,,um,,,,,Joey chenged his mind,,,,,,again,,,,,STAND BY !!!!!!!!!

WETTE VETTE
04-02-2011, 09:13 PM
I am always so paranoid about my trailers...Mike, remember the trip to ishpeming with my enclosed 4 place sled trailer?? Not a lack of grease, but lug nuts coming loose caused one of the wheels to decide to go rolling down the highway on its own....

I recall andy towing my trailer, me following him, and hippie kid behind us. We were all chatting on our CB radio's, when I keyed up telling mikey to watch out, theres a wheel rolling towards us! Wait! thats my wheel! Thats was fun in the middle of nowhere fixing that...new studs and lugs were needed...

Same thing happened to my friend Matt with his 31 Cig. He lost a wheel goin down I-355. Wheel came off, passed him, and it was never found..Took the studs out with it too. Hard to believe something so basic as a trailer can have so many problems as they do!

I with Big D. I'd say every spring, its a good idea to remove all wheels, inspect or replace bearings and seals, inspect and adjust brakes, grease everything up good, and inspect trailer tires for any signs of cracking, on sidewalls and in between tread lugs. And routinely check lugs for tightness! And of course, proper air psi in the tires. They may look ok, but a tire rated for 80psi, only having say 30-40psi, has substantially less weight capacity, and will get hot. Don't eyeball them. Put a air gauge on em to be sure, and Air them babies up.

The only time I had trailer issues was when MM got his 3rd flat on a trip and I was nice enough to give him my spare. Then when pulling away after changing his tire on I94 I looked in my rear view and saw I had a flat. F'n Andy, is what I thought. Anyway I don't compliment Walmart often, but that Sunday afternoon the local Wally cam through and fixed my spare and we were off.:sifone:

That was the trailer for this silly boat!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL5cyKdWnF0

Listen close at the very end of the video. Yes, believe it or not that is our highly refined friend MM back when he had a potty mouth!:biggrinjester:

SC288
04-03-2011, 09:01 PM
Listen close at the very end of the video. Yes, believe it or not that is our highly refined friend MM back when he had a potty mouth!:biggrinjester:[/QUOTE]

When he had a potty mouth....he had a potty mouth at 5 years old and still does.....:seeya:

BTW I like this video better....of us racing the owner of Sterling's girlfriend....there's even an appearance from Twin Wackas in his old American Offshore....:sifone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuysjToVrxM&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

SC288
04-03-2011, 09:10 PM
The engines are done....I also got the sea strainers mounted back in the boat along with new hoses etc....everything in the bilge is done. All that is left is a little gel work on the transom where I removed my speedo pickup etc....I am adding a GPS Speedo. Hopefully if the weather holds out the engines will be going in a a couple of weeks.

Magic Medicine
04-04-2011, 01:52 PM
The only time I had trailer issues was when MM got his 3rd flat on a trip and I was nice enough to give him my spare. Then when pulling away after changing his tire on I94 I looked in my rear view and saw I had a flat. F'n Andy, is what I thought. Anyway I don't compliment Walmart often, but that Sunday afternoon the local Wally cam through and fixed my spare and we were off.:sifone:

That was the trailer for this silly boat!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL5cyKdWnF0

Listen close at the very end of the video. Yes, believe it or not that is our highly refined friend MM back when he had a potty mouth!:biggrinjester:

When he had a potty mouth....he had a potty mouth at 5 years old and still does.....:seeya:

BTW I like this video better....of us racing the owner of Sterling's girlfriend....there's even an appearance from Twin Wackas in his old American Offshore....:sifone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuysjToVrxM&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/QUOTE]

Thanks for letting me borrow your spare Craig! I only made that mistake once, since they all my boat trailers have had there tires replaced right away! As far as my potty mouth I deny all such accusations!:puke:

teamsynergy
04-04-2011, 08:43 PM
The engines are done....I also got the sea strainers mounted back in the boat along with new hoses etc....everything in the bilge is done. All that is left is a little gel work on the transom where I removed my speedo pickup etc....I am adding a GPS Speedo. Hopefully if the weather holds out the engines will be going in a a couple of weeks.

I just noticed the 90 degree elbows going into the strainers... what kind of temps did you run with the old motors? I have never seen 90's before like that and would think that the friction loss might hurt you a bit a 1/2 to full throttle... maybe not but just thinking out loud. Whats the reason for them?

SC288
04-04-2011, 09:12 PM
I just noticed the 90 degree elbows going into the strainers... what kind of temps did you run with the old motors? I have never seen 90's before like that and would think that the friction loss might hurt you a bit a 1/2 to full throttle... maybe not but just thinking out loud. Whats the reason for them?

There was no way to get a straight run into the strainer by going under the offshore mount....I guess I could have run the hose on top of the offshore mount??? It would be easy to change but then it would rub on it as well? They were setup going straight in before but the hose was also damaged from doing that....temps. were fine.

There were 90's coming out of the bottom with the prior setup.

WETTE VETTE
04-04-2011, 10:44 PM
Mike,

You are fine. If you put a restrictor bushing of 1/2" diameter in those 90 degree elbows, which are 11/4", I'd bet you'd still be fine. Remember before the pressure reliefs Shogren blew an intake gasket due to the water pressure pegging a 40 psi guage.

Elbows, orifice plugs, flow controls etc. create pressure drop across them, and in a motor the critical pressure is after all of those losses what is left over in the block. You have 20 PSI running with garden hose relief water flow dumping overboard. Your temps are fine and you are running a t-stat.

Good to go!!

MILD THUNDER
04-05-2011, 11:01 AM
Mike,

You are fine. If you put a restrictor bushing of 1/2" diameter in those 90 degree elbows, which are 11/4", I'd bet you'd still be fine. Remember before the pressure reliefs Shogren blew an intake gasket due to the water pressure pegging a 40 psi guage.

Elbows, orifice plugs, flow controls etc. create pressure drop across them, and in a motor the critical pressure is after all of those losses what is left over in the block. You have 20 PSI running with garden hose relief water flow dumping overboard. Your temps are fine and you are running a t-stat.

Good to go!!

I would have to agree. Maybe a 45* fitting would have worked? As long as that hose isn't kinked, I'd run with it..Double clamps never hurt on the hoses to and from the sea strainers. I have 90* elbows in my system. 100* water temps and no stats, water psi was 25psi wot last summer, with 5/8" restrictors. Gonna ditch the restrictors though, they did nothing for me.

http://www.eddiemarine.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=13335&c=230

Lookin good Mike...

SC288
04-16-2011, 09:29 PM
Fingers crossed we will be putting the engines in tomorrow....as long as all goes well hopefully we will be to the lake in three weeks or so to run it for the first time. I attached some pics. as I got everything in the bilge finished up today. :driving:

teamsynergy
04-16-2011, 10:15 PM
Good luck... make sure you video the first time out... always good for bloopers if something goes bad or to film your happiness when the opposite occurs... lol. When we did the shake down run last fall, I left the engine hatch off and pointed the GoPro at the aft showing the engines... just in case we had some sort of failure... would make for a good youtube vid and a discovery on what went wrong..

Ratickle
04-17-2011, 08:22 AM
Keep us up to date.......

Looking sweet.....

redhotsommer
04-18-2011, 07:28 AM
My motors are getting painted today...dyno by the end of the week according to Mr. Dave.

Magic Medicine
04-18-2011, 10:35 AM
My motors are getting painted today...dyno by the end of the week according to Mr. Dave.

Cool:cool:

SC288
04-18-2011, 12:10 PM
Engines are in and drives are on....working on my to do list today....I am hoping between this Friday and Saturday that by the end of the day Saturday it will be ready to fire up on the hose to set the timing. Still have around 15 - 16 different jobs left though....:puke: :banghead:

Also a big thanks to WetteVette (Craig) and Bryce AKA BigBird for the help yesterday! When we started at 8:00 yesterday it was roughly 38 degrees out....my hands look and feel like they were put through a meat grinder....note to self....buy something with stock power next time! :03:

SC288
04-18-2011, 01:10 PM
Updated Pics....:willy_nilly:

Twin Whackas
04-18-2011, 01:53 PM
Looks great. Sorry I couldn't be there to help or at least supervise.:D

SC288
04-18-2011, 02:36 PM
Looks great. Sorry I couldn't be there to help or at least supervise.:D

No problem....it ended up taking us around 4 hours so it was not to bad.

10x
04-18-2011, 08:46 PM
Engines are in and drives are on....working on my to do list today....I am hoping between this Friday and Saturday that by the end of the day Saturday it will be ready to fire up on the hose to set the timing. Still have around 15 - 16 different jobs left though....:puke: :banghead:

Also a big thanks to WetteVette (Craig) and Bryce AKA BigBird for the help yesterday! When we started at 8:00 yesterday it was roughly 38 degrees out....my hands look and feel like they were put through a meat grinder....note to self....buy something with stock power next time! :03:

That's what I say every time I need to do some work in the bilge. Next boat will have stock power. LMFAO Well, maybe.

redhotsommer
04-18-2011, 10:05 PM
Even though there was snow today...I'm getting a little excited...

SC288
04-19-2011, 08:38 AM
Mike....are you guys going to install the engines or is Dave doing that? Are you running MSD or a similar ignition?

redhotsommer
04-19-2011, 09:00 AM
Dave is doing it. I haven't bought an MSD box or anything, so I'm guessing he's putting it together stock. Is this something I should consider...and why...?

SC288
04-19-2011, 09:14 AM
I just was not sure if the stock ignition would work since it came off of your 502 MPI's and now you are going to a carb. etc. I would think that you might be able to use your old distributor but was not sure about the rest of it. My HP500's had a three piece setup....ignition module, spark controller and a distributor. I am getting rid of that stuff but the rev limiter would most likely be set to low for your application. I am sure Dennis or Joe would know more about it.

OBNOXUS
04-19-2011, 10:11 AM
Michelle is having the 4,000 RPM chip installed anyway

redhotsommer
04-19-2011, 10:52 AM
Haha! My saving grace will be the fact that my speedo doesn't work...nor am I really trying hard to fix it. If I want to know how fast I'm going, I'll just get my GPS out.

Besides, the equation for how fast I'm going to go is as follows:

Speed of red hot sommer = Speed of Size Matters + 1 mph

teamsynergy
04-19-2011, 11:50 AM
Even though there was snow today...I'm getting a little excited...

ooooo... pretty.....

Nevr2nd
04-19-2011, 12:27 PM
Haha! My saving grace will be the fact that my speedo doesn't work...nor am I really trying hard to fix it. If I want to know how fast I'm going, I'll just get my GPS out.

That equation does not sound to difficult to complete !! Couldn't the old motors do that??:party:

Magic Medicine
04-19-2011, 12:37 PM

:D:03:

redhotsommer
04-19-2011, 01:28 PM
That equation does not sound to difficult to complete !! Couldn't the old motors do that??:party:

Yeah...but this year I have dry exhaust. ;)

Nevr2nd
04-19-2011, 01:31 PM
Yeah...but this year I have dry exhaust. ;)

Awesome, but what is the advantage??

OBNOXUS
04-19-2011, 04:04 PM
He intends to stay right in front of me with his load ass exhaust at my bow.

It is at this time I should bring up the point of his drives being in pieces on stands in my shop.:reddevil:

Tony M
04-19-2011, 04:43 PM

It is at this time I should bring up the point of his drives being in pieces on stands in my shop.:reddevil: OUCH ! :beatdeadhorse5:.

Nevr2nd
04-19-2011, 05:17 PM

It is at this time I should bring up the point of his drives being in pieces on stands in my shop.:reddevil:

Haah, silly kids,
Chrome and loud exhaust does NOT make it fast!!!

Twin Whackas
04-19-2011, 05:26 PM
Nope, but sure makes it look and sound cool. I am thinking the red fountain should get up and go pretty good this summer. Looking good Mike.

Haah, silly kids,
Chrome and loud exhaust does NOT make it fast!!!

redhotsommer
04-19-2011, 06:13 PM
Put the f'kn drives together already! I want the boat up north this weekend!

Magic Medicine
04-19-2011, 07:34 PM

Rut row

10x
04-19-2011, 11:26 PM
Mike, Dave called me last night, right after he painted your engines. Everything is on track. I would suggest running an MSD 6M2 ignition, with the soft touch rev control. Dave knows just how much of a PITA those Merc ignitions are. You'll be glad you made the switch in the long run.
Just my $.02

MILD THUNDER
04-20-2011, 01:13 AM
Mike, Dave called me last night, right after he painted your engines. Everything is on track. I would suggest running an MSD 6M2 ignition, with the soft touch rev control. Dave knows just how much of a PITA those Merc ignitions are. You'll be glad you made the switch in the long run.
Just my $.02

:iagree:

They are easier to adjust the timing curve, rev limiter options, etc. I am not that familiar with the Merc ignitions, but i believe the timing modules have fixed advance curves, and some are pretty lame, as in they dont bring full advance in until way up in the rpm range. Plus they arent exactly cheap to replace modules with a different curve in them, should you need to. For the MSD, all you need is a 10 dollar spring and bushing kit.

The benefit of a different timing curve, could mean, better idle, better midrange response, cooler exhaust temps in the midrange, and better fuel effieciency. All something that I am sure Doctor Dave would steer you right in.

Is it necessary, no. If you did upgrade, and spend the dough for the MSD setup, your merc dizzys and modules would be a easy sell in the swap shop to recoup a few bucks towards the MSD units.

Some may say the upside to a merc ignition is that if you were on vacation, and needed a ignition part, you can go to any merc dealer to get parts. However, the MSD stuff is so common now, should you smoke a magnetic pickup, coil, or even the box, most autozone's, advance auto parts, oreillys, pep boys, etc, have MSD stuff in stock. Won't get you a "Marine" box in a pinch, but you can hook a red automotive box up and finish out the vacation.

If you do go with the MSD units, I have a can of CRC corrosion inhibitor. Good to give the internals of the distributor a coating , to keep them looking like new. Before sending mine in, they were rusting pretty bad under the cap. Then again, they are 10+ years old.

MILD THUNDER
04-20-2011, 01:20 AM
BTW, my stuff is coming together too..Lots of little tidy'ing up to do yet, but getting ready for summertime!!

SC288
04-20-2011, 08:28 AM
Looking good Joe!

Mike....if you do decide to go the MSD route let me know....our local speed shop was beat everyone's prices and he can have them the next day. MSD no longer has the Stand alone marine ignition box and have standardized with the one with the soft touch rev limiter built in like I purchased. Give me a call on my cell if you are interested.

Twin Whackas
04-20-2011, 10:43 AM
Joe,
Did you go with bigger blowers or stay with the same ones you had before?
Looking good.

MILD THUNDER
04-20-2011, 11:25 AM
Went from the 177CI 525SC style blowers to the B&M 250CID blowers. I had thought of going to a 6-71 or 8-71 setup, the big blowers just take to much power to turn. If i had bigger CI motors I would have went bigger on the blowers though.

I actually have a article somewhere, where they dyno'ed a 468CI mill, with a 177 Weiand, then a 8-71 weiand. The only place the 8-71 outperformed the small blower was after about 5000 rpm, and even then it was minimal, and low rpm torque was better with the smaller blower. The gains from the bigger blower come in when you get past 5psi though, as the 177 is pretty limited to its effiecency on a 454-468ci around 5psi.

I was at around 5lbs last summer. Will probably run 7lbs this season. With the 250's, making 7lbs, they will still be turning quite a bit slower (about 30% slower) than the 177's were making 5lbs, if that makes sense.

Jimmy Valakeo just did a 575 merc upgrade, they did a set of aluminum heads, cam, and cranked the boost up to around 7 or 7.5psi, no intercooler. 753HP. Not bad for a 502CI with a small 256 blower and mercs low static compression ratio.

I had considering ditching the single dominator for a twin 750 carb setup. But after talking to eddie young, I have decided to stick with the setup i have. He has done many similar setups with good results. What i did do, per his recommendation, is drill and tap the rear intake manifold water jackets, to dump some water from the rear of the intake. Helps cool the back cylinders, and eliminate hot spots. Eddie and Dean Gellner do it on all their stuff. Gave Eddie all my specs, cam, heads, compression, and so on, he feels they should be 675-700HP around 7psi.

Nevr2nd
04-20-2011, 12:49 PM
Looking good!!
Maybe I should get u a t- shirt that reads ..... Boost gets you laid!! LOL.

redhotsommer
04-20-2011, 01:13 PM
That avatar is heavenly, Eric.

Nevr2nd
04-20-2011, 02:19 PM
That avatar is heavenly, Eric.

I knew you (sister Mike) could appreciate it!!

Nun-out!

MILD THUNDER
04-20-2011, 05:37 PM
Looking good!!
Maybe I should get u a t- shirt that reads ..... Boost gets you laid!! LOL.

Im a XL :sifone:

Tony M
04-21-2011, 09:15 AM
Im a XL :sifone: Shirt or Shorts some people just got to know! :huh: .

Magic Medicine
04-21-2011, 11:44 AM
Went from the 177CI 525SC style blowers to the B&M 250CID blowers. I had thought of going to a 6-71 or 8-71 setup, the big blowers just take to much power to turn. If i had bigger CI motors I would have went bigger on the blowers though.

I actually have a article somewhere, where they dyno'ed a 468CI mill, with a 177 Weiand, then a 8-71 weiand. The only place the 8-71 outperformed the small blower was after about 5000 rpm, and even then it was minimal, and low rpm torque was better with the smaller blower. The gains from the bigger blower come in when you get past 5psi though, as the 177 is pretty limited to its effiecency on a 454-468ci around 5psi.

I was at around 5lbs last summer. Will probably run 7lbs this season. With the 250's, making 7lbs, they will still be turning quite a bit slower (about 30% slower) than the 177's were making 5lbs, if that makes sense.

Jimmy Valakeo just did a 575 merc upgrade, they did a set of aluminum heads, cam, and cranked the boost up to around 7 or 7.5psi, no intercooler. 753HP. Not bad for a 502CI with a small 256 blower and mercs low static compression ratio.

I had considering ditching the single dominator for a twin 750 carb setup. But after talking to eddie young, I have decided to stick with the setup i have. He has done many similar setups with good results. What i did do, per his recommendation, is drill and tap the rear intake manifold water jackets, to dump some water from the rear of the intake. Helps cool the back cylinders, and eliminate hot spots. Eddie and Dean Gellner do it on all their stuff. Gave Eddie all my specs, cam, heads, compression, and so on, he feels they should be 675-700HP around 7psi.

The BIG shows!

SC288
04-21-2011, 10:23 PM
I posted a pic. below of a little Thursday night fun over at Wette Vette's dad's shop (Craigs dad John is in the pic. with Craig)....one of Craig's older friends wanted us to pull this 14:1 540 out of his V - Drive and get it ready for his single seat Jet Boat. He bought both of the boats out of Illinois and is planning on running some races at Blarney's Island this Summer. The V - Drive is up for sale. Craig is going to change oil pans and go through the bearings etc. and get it ready for the Jet Boat. As if we didn't have enough to do....:bump:

redhotsommer
04-22-2011, 01:56 PM
66 or 67 in the background?

Ratickle
04-22-2011, 02:32 PM

From first glimpse in the dark photo, I thought it might be a split.....

Oh well, I had one I chopped up into a drag race car way back....

WETTE VETTE
04-22-2011, 03:51 PM

66 427 car with power windows and air. Motor is actually a 468, but it looks bone stock minus the headers.

Pulling motors from jets and v-drives is fun. I think it took 22 minutes from the time the boat entered the garage to the time the motor was on the stand!:D

WETTE VETTE
04-22-2011, 04:00 PM
From first glimpse in the dark photo, I thought it might be a split.....

Oh well, I had one I chopped up into a drag race car way back....

Along side of the 66 is a 96 Grand Sport. One of the things on my dad's bucket list is to build a 63 Grand Sport Replica and run a hopped up version of a Z06 / LSX motor. The kit has been pretty incomplete in the past, but it seems to be coming together from the info on the website.:huh:

One of these!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMg9FYLh1As&feature=related

Ratickle
04-22-2011, 09:50 PM
Along side of the 66 is a 96 Grand Sport. One of the things on my dad's bucket list is to build a 63 Grand Sport Replica and run a hopped up version of a Z06 / LSX motor. The kit has been pretty incomplete in the past, but it seems to be coming together from the info on the website.:huh:

One of these!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMg9FYLh1As&feature=related

A 10.60 at 126 is not bad at all.....

Those were wicked looking cars.

WETTE VETTE
04-22-2011, 10:28 PM
A 10.60 at 126 is not bad at all.....

Those were wicked looking cars.

Nice! The 66 ran 11.95 at 119 with some 8" slicks on pumped gas!

Did you run half shafts or a straight axle?

ICDEDPPL
04-22-2011, 10:56 PM
BTW, my stuff is coming together too..Lots of little tidy'ing up to do yet, but getting ready for summertime!!

Wow that looks awesome, nice job. You`re doing one hell of a job on that boat , Brian would be proud!!

MILD THUNDER
04-23-2011, 08:37 AM
Wow that looks awesome, nice job. You`re doing one hell of a job on that boat , Brian would be proud!!

Thanks!!:)

SC288
04-23-2011, 11:13 PM
Finally....all that is left now is to install the sea strainer tops after they come in from Marine Machine and fill the drives with gear lube. Craig and I can then get them running and set the timing....then off to our local lake for a shake down run!!!

Pics. show the new Eddie Marine Tips that I installed I had to do alot of gel work around these as the boat originally had CMI switchable exhause with a 5" OD Beauty Ring....along with the gel work to fill the holes where the speedo pickup....also new GPS with recall switch.

:26: :driving:

SC288
04-24-2011, 12:13 AM

Mikey....it is nasty to....very fast!

redhotsommer
04-24-2011, 09:04 AM
Boat looks GREAT Mike! Can't wait to watch her go.

Dropped the rhs off at Dave's yesterday. Motor was on the dyno, but Dave was slamming to get a trailer built so he didn't have time to run it yet. Hopefully next week.

On a positive note, Den was able to save my transom assembly, so my boat will not be sinking this year...at least not for THAT reason, anyway!

10x
04-24-2011, 10:04 AM
Mike, what is a rhs ??? Just curious,:huh: and Happy Easter.

MILD THUNDER
04-24-2011, 12:34 PM
Mike, what is a rhs ??? Just curious,:huh: and Happy Easter.

I am guessing he meant red hot sommer. Happy easter everyone

SC288
04-24-2011, 08:02 PM
Boat looks GREAT Mike! Can't wait to watch her go.

Dropped the rhs off at Dave's yesterday. Motor was on the dyno, but Dave was slamming to get a trailer built so he didn't have time to run it yet. Hopefully next week.

On a positive note, Den was able to save my transom assembly, so my boat will not be sinking this year...at least not for THAT reason, anyway!

Thanks Mike....glad to hear the transom assembly was able to be repaired.

Twin Whackas
04-24-2011, 08:51 PM
You can borrow the GoPro if you want to take some video the first time out.

SC288
04-24-2011, 09:06 PM
You can borrow the GoPro if you want to take some video the first time out.

Thanks....I may take you up on that. I will most likely get one later this Summer.

SC288
04-24-2011, 09:08 PM
Alright guys....last year I was running a standard 30 Bravo around 5,000 RPM....I obviously have 300 or so RPM to play with. I have access to try and buy both a labbed 30 which I think will work best or a standard 28 Maximus (5 Blade). What are your thoughts? I know the Maximus props were known for breaking propshafts etc...I also know from the research I have done that you need do go down two pitch sizes so the 28 could work.

teamsynergy
04-24-2011, 09:46 PM
I have a set of merc labbed 32's if you feel the need...

MILD THUNDER
04-24-2011, 10:54 PM
Run your stock 30's and see what you got first. This way you can see if you gained or lost anything, then adjust from there...If you are short a couple hundred RPM, send them out to BBlades. From what i hear, he can do alot with a bravo 4 blade. Also, the maximus props can be heavily modified. Diffuser ring removal, diameter cut down, cupping, etc.

Engines look great!

Magic Medicine
04-25-2011, 08:53 AM
I have never heard about anybody running 5 blades on a dominator?? Couldn't hurt to try them. I would try the props you ran last year for a base line # and then go from there.

SC288
04-25-2011, 08:55 AM
That's the plan I am just figuring out which ones to try. Hopefully if all goes well on the first trial run we will try props then and see what works best.

Twin Whackas
04-25-2011, 01:06 PM
Maybe I will drag Whackas out and come take some video. She is pretty much ready to go other than new filters and fluids.

Tony M
04-25-2011, 04:25 PM
Run your stock 30's and see what you got first. This way you can see if you gained or lost anything, then adjust from there...If you are short a couple hundred RPM, send them out to BBlades. From what i hear, he can do alot with a bravo 4 blade. Also, the maximus props can be heavily modified. Diffuser ring removal, diameter cut down, cupping, etc.

Engines look great! What Drives, if Stock Barvo's Be very Carefull on the sticks when comming out of the hole with the 5 blade's , Or Call B Blades and see what he tells you, He is good for the help before you spend a ton of $$$$ :banghead: :driving: .

SC288
04-25-2011, 04:43 PM
What Drives, if Stock Barvo's Be very Carefull on the sticks when comming out of the hole with the 5 blade's , Or Call B Blades and see what he tells you, He is good for the help before you spend a ton of $$$$ :banghead: :driving: .

XR's....I think that I am going to stick with the labbed 30 Bravo four blades.

Tony M
04-26-2011, 08:58 AM
XR's....I think that I am going to stick with the labbed 30 Bravo four blades. That's what I did on mine put a 30p and B Blades brought it down to a 29.5 and can hit 81 gps @ 5100 most days. :cheers2:

ICDEDPPL
04-28-2011, 10:50 AM
Mild and SC I got a new license plate cover for you guys

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y70/kr0nikaldro420/DSCN0707.jpg[/QUOTE]

Tony M
04-28-2011, 03:02 PM
Mild and SC I got a new license plate cover for you guys

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y70/kr0nikaldro420/DSCN0707.jpg[/QUOTE] Wow ! I saw that guys license plate last Saturday night after 5 hours of Southern / Miller Lites , "Dam V.F.W." :biggrinjester:.

SC288
04-28-2011, 06:03 PM
[QUOTE=ICDEDPPL;550045]Mild and SC I got a new license plate cover for you guys

LOL....that would piss the tree huggers off wouldn't it!

SC288
04-30-2011, 10:08 PM
Got the drives filled with gear oil today and resovoirs filled. Also put sand blasted the sea strainer tops, painted them black and installed them. Put some fuel in it and it is ready to start and set the timing! :26:

Also showed a few pics. of some fun with my 5 year old Daughter this afternoon....she colored the first one and I did the last one....even added steps....LOL!

Twin Whackas
05-02-2011, 01:59 PM
Finally got my winter project completed and out of storage.
Oh wait, it is the same as last year.:biggrinjester:

My project is to try and find some 32 pitch 3 blade cleavers.

redhotsommer
05-02-2011, 04:25 PM
Somebody in our Michigan crew just got hisself a new ride...

Magic Medicine
05-02-2011, 06:59 PM
Somebody in our Michigan crew just got hisself a new ride...

Scott????

redhotsommer
05-02-2011, 07:57 PM
Scott????

Winner.

358 Sonic.

MILD THUNDER
05-03-2011, 10:17 AM
Finally got my winter project completed and out of storage.
Oh wait, it is the same as last year.:biggrinjester:

My project is to try and find some 32 pitch 3 blade cleavers.

I picked up some big shaft 17x29 4 Blade cleavers yesterday to try this year...:)

MILD THUNDER
05-03-2011, 10:22 AM
Winner.

358 Sonic.

Congrats to him! Should be great for overnighting in a Sonic!

redhotsommer
05-03-2011, 10:43 AM
I picked up some big shaft 17x29 4 Blade cleavers yesterday to try this year...:)

Joe...did you add another engine and drive?

MILD THUNDER
05-03-2011, 10:51 AM
Joe...did you add another engine and drive?

long story.....but having a spare cant be a bad thing!

Twin Whackas
05-03-2011, 12:47 PM

I have been thinking about going to 4 blade cleavers, but not sure how they would carry my boat vs. the 3 blades I usually run. I am thinking they might give me to much transom lift, but then again, that might be a good thing as I could probably run less trim and still get the lift?

I have a line on a pair of 32 mazco cleavers. I am trying to find out the real difference between Mazco cleavers and Mercury cleavers. The answers I keep getting is nothing other than the name. Does anyone know?

MILD THUNDER
05-03-2011, 02:40 PM
Mike, those questions might be better answered over on scream and fly, in regards to mazco. I can only see a 4 blade being faster than a 3 blade, if the propshaft height is high, and your slip numbers are high. Both my formula and fountain ran faster top speeds with extra blades. a 28 3 blade I was at 18% slip.28 4 blade got it down to 11%.