PDA

View Full Version : Extension Box Steering Plumbing Question

MattBMiller
12-01-2008, 03:50 PM
Does anyone see a problem with plumbing my hydraulic steering lines through the sides of my IMCO extension box and entering through the drive cutout versus drilling more holes in the transom? Structurally?

Twin27Advantage
12-01-2008, 04:33 PM
Have at it!
It will be fine structurally.

Griff
12-02-2008, 01:56 AM
I would be leary of doing it. My concern would be if one of the hyd lines came loose and rubbed on the input shaft causing a leak. You would quickly lose all steering.

smittyseng
12-02-2008, 02:25 AM
I would be leary of doing it. My concern would be if one of the hyd lines came loose and rubbed on the input shaft causing a leak. You would quickly lose all steering.

Very good point,I also would be concerned about a driveshaft u-joint breaking and it whacking around at high speed piercing the oil line and causing boat to loose steering,Smitty

MattBMiller
12-02-2008, 02:29 AM
Very good point,I also would be concerned about a driveshaft u-joint breaking and it whacking around at high speed piercing the oil line and causing boat to loose steering,Smitty

That's my primary comcern, just seeing if anyone else has plumbed a box this way. What's everyone using to seal up the transom with the addition of a box? Ron at IMCO suggested 100% silicone, I was thinking 4200....

Knot 4 Me
12-02-2008, 10:58 AM
That's my primary comcern, just seeing if anyone else has plumbed a box this way. What's everyone using to seal up the transom with the addition of a box? Ron at IMCO suggested 100% silicone, I was thinking 4200....i would go with 4200...which I believe you can get in clear as well as white.

Griff
12-04-2008, 02:55 AM
3M 4200 or 3M marine 101 sealant. The silcones are not meant for below teh water line use. The 101 will be easier to remove and work with. The 4200 is an adhesive sealant and is like working with hot chewing gum.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Marine/Home/Products/Catalog/?PC_7_RJH9U5230GE3E02LECIE20S4K7_nid=GSCZBZFWCPbeQH8HT14PGTgl

Sunsation96
12-04-2008, 09:22 AM
3M 4200 or 3M marine 101 sealant. The silcones are not meant for below teh water line use. The 101 will be easier to remove and work with. The 4200 is an adhesive sealant and is like working with hot chewing gum.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Marine/Home/Products/Catalog/?PC_7_RJH9U5230GE3E02LECIE20S4K7_nid=GSCZBZFWCPbeQH8HT14PGTgl

Good information, I used 101 all over my transom, can't get anything off again but it is sealed:sifone:

MattBMiller
12-04-2008, 09:36 AM
Good information, I used 101 all over my transom, can't get anything off again but it is sealed:sifone:

5200.....Jesus Jizz:rofl:

Griff
12-05-2008, 03:59 AM
The 101 should come off easily compared to 4200.

5200 is an adhesive sealant for permanent installation
4200 is an adhesive sealant for semi-permanent installations and has half the adhesive holding of 5200
The 101 is mainly a sealant moreso than an adhesive. Its similar to silicone except better and meant to be used below the water line.

MattBMiller
12-05-2008, 09:02 AM
The 101 should come off easily compared to 4200.

5200 is an adhesive sealant for permanent installation
4200 is an adhesive sealant for semi-permanent installations and has half the adhesive holding of 5200
The 101 is mainly a sealant moreso than an adhesive. Its similar to silicone except better and meant to be used below the water line.

101 it is. Hopefully I can get it wrapped up this weekend. Still waiting for my extyra long alignment tool to show up....

LAKE EFFECT
12-05-2008, 09:28 AM

The u-joint is in the bellow on the outside of the box, and if it blows apart you better find a beach before the boat sinks from a ripped open bellow. I recently broke a input shaft, and fortunately it didnt cause any extra damage. The inside of the box has alot of room, and as long as you keep clearances, and secure everything away from the driveshaft, your not going to have a problem. Keep in mind that the driveshaft spins a mere inch or two from the input water hose as well, which will have the same issues as the bellow if ruptured.

Fast cure 5200 works well and is alot more managable than regular 5200(doesnt run nearly as much), and it gives you around 1 to 2 hrs before it sets.

LE

smittyseng
12-14-2008, 02:46 AM
The u-joint is in the bellow on the outside of the box, and if it blows apart you better find a beach before the boat sinks from a ripped open bellow. I recently broke a input shaft, and fortunately it didnt cause any extra damage. The inside of the box has alot of room, and as long as you keep clearances, and secure everything away from the driveshaft, your not going to have a problem. Keep in mind that the driveshaft spins a mere inch or two from the input water hose as well, which will have the same issues as the bellow if ruptured.

Fast cure 5200 works well and is alot more managable than regular 5200(doesnt run nearly as much), and it gives you around 1 to 2 hrs before it sets.

LE

Your correct,I was thinking about the ext box I had on my boat with the extra U-joint's and driveshaft (stellings box) and forgot the imco has the long torsional shaft,Smitty

LAKE EFFECT
12-15-2008, 12:15 PM
I wasnt trying to be a dic, just trying to make the point that anything can happen when you mix water and HP together. You have to look at what can possibly fail and try to prevent it. Also if your going to re-engineer something, that you trust your ability and judgement..

LE

MattBMiller
01-05-2009, 11:28 PM
Does anyone knoe where I can buy the connectors to just make short jumpers for the Merc Digital Trim Sender and Mercathode harness rather than splicing into the harness? Also, can I get a straight raw water hose barb rather than the angles one on there currently?