PDA

View Full Version : question on moving threads

MOBILEMERCMAN
10-17-2008, 12:19 AM
What is the best way to move a string of threads that went off subject?
For example SBI pix #2 post thru 9 should go to a new thread in general race discussion with a new title like swimming at a race site.

I checked them and selected move expecting to get another prompt or selection. I know it may be a nit picking example but I want to know the proper way.

Thanks in advance,
Jim

glassdave
10-17-2008, 12:36 AM
would it be possible to move the entire thread and just re name it? That way you would just have to edit just that first post to reflect the new name and just start a new Key West pic thread. just a thought.

Chris
10-17-2008, 12:40 AM
I have been talking to Heather about doing a Mod school sort of thing. As we were chatting earlier, she said she thought she was feeling contractions. I haven't heard back so...

lady
10-17-2008, 07:28 AM
ok still here... went to bed and feel nothing this morning!!! I have a scheduled dr. appointment at 12 - pray for me that she says I'm close!!

OK as for Moding.... If a thread gets off topic I usually move the whole thing - but I like your idea about splitting a thread.... I think It can be done let me check....

I promise to have Mod 101 put together today!!

lady
10-17-2008, 07:37 AM
OK it can be done, I just did it :D

First Click all the posts (the little box next to the post number)
Scroll to the bottom under all the posts where the Moderation Drop-down is:
Change the Drop-down to Move Posts Click GO!

A new window will pop up - this is where you can add the new title, move to a different part of the site...

Any questions?

Airpacker
10-17-2008, 07:41 AM
Heather, maybe a MOD 101 in written format sent to each mod's pm box that we could keep on file for future reference?

lady
10-17-2008, 07:58 AM
Heather, maybe a MOD 101 in written format sent to each mod's pm box that we could keep on file for future reference?

:iagree:

cosmic12
10-17-2008, 08:17 AM

Yes please that would be great. And good luck today.

Racegirl3
10-17-2008, 08:19 AM
Damn. Sorry Jim. I didnt think it was off subject since it was a pic from KW but I do think its cool that I started a new thread :D Thanks Heather -neat stuff! :cool:

Chris
10-17-2008, 08:56 AM
Any Mods wanna' practice?

We need to move everything out of Forum Issues and into the Boardroom. Then it needs to be either locked or maintained for the next few days.

Forum issues is for users having trouble, making requests or wanting to know why something was deleted or moved.

Boardroom is for mods, admins and Founders looking to share info on tech issues and/or board issues of concern to only us.

Thanks!

MOBILEMERCMAN
10-17-2008, 09:35 AM
Dave, Heather, Dawn, and Chris Thanks. I will try again. I like Dave's Idea move the one and rename both.
Heather, I did try what you said but don't recall another window. I will try again. Best wishes

PARADOX
10-17-2008, 10:17 AM
:iagree:

Hello Speedyyyy.. I didn't recognize "SpeedDiva" untill I saw your avator..
OK... I stole the thread for a minute.

Is there a way to put a warning of a sort? that a thread is being moved or "scheduled to be moved"
I understand the moving need, but often it's moved.. Then if it gets lost on the "next page"... it's almost history..
IE.. is a thread is being moved due to it goes off track.. a warning might just keep it on subject..

Chris
10-17-2008, 10:51 AM
Most moves are because of the starter choosing the improper forum in the first place.

Hijacks? This whole community is so ADD that keeping threads on track would require an army. Most threads have either served their purpose or peterd out by the time they begin to wander. Serious threads, tech threads, etc typically stay on course. I kinda' feel it's the poster's responsibility to maintain their ownthread- a simple- "hey, lets' head back over here". As serious hijack warrants a "report Post" button hit and a mod deletion.

Rexone
10-17-2008, 11:38 PM
If anyone need any help with Vb thread handling don't hesitate to PM me if no one is available. I'm very familiar with Vbullitin thread / post handling issues and am happy to assist if needed.

Airpacker
10-17-2008, 11:43 PM
Thanks R1

all help is appreciated.

Chris
10-17-2008, 11:43 PM
Mike- Get me Rex banners and we'll get them into rotation. For some reson I don't have them. If you need a size spec, let me know.

Are you going to Key West?

MOBILEMERCMAN
10-17-2008, 11:44 PM
Thanks R1

all help is appreciated.

Copy that

Rexone
10-17-2008, 11:46 PM
Mike- Get me Rex banners and we'll get them into rotation. For some reson I don't have them. If you need a size spec, let me know.

Are you going to Key West?

Yes I need size spec and also if animation (flash) or (gif) is allowed. I need to make a new one anyway for this board. The one OSO did sucks.

No Key West for me unfortunately. :(

Thanks,

Chris
10-17-2008, 11:49 PM
We're working on the banner server software tonight- those are questions I'll have to ask.

As I've told these guys- I'd rather they worked on gaining ground than educating me on something I can either figure out or learn later.