PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Use Non Power Assist Hydraulic Steering for Single I/O

Hot Boat
11-30-2008, 08:31 PM
I am looking to see if anyone had used a full hydraulic steering system like those found on Twin O/B setups but for use on a twin ram single I/O . Most every system I find rated for I/O uses the power steering pump to assist the helm. I am looking to get rid of the power steering pump if I can and go no power assists. If a non power assist system can turn 2 or 3 300 + HP O/B's then why can't it be used for a single I/O????

Buckman_4
12-01-2008, 09:38 AM
Back in the eighties we used hynautic and hydrive systems on race boats with out power assist.. they worked just fine P.S. the hydrives seemed faster to steer and had more options for helms

northernoffshore
12-04-2008, 10:43 AM
I have a hynautic helm and reservoir for sale. I think it works better in boats than run under 90, more feel.

Chris
12-04-2008, 10:49 AM
I had power steering on my Velocity 30- it was too sensitive and twitchy for an aggressive pad bottom with a high X. I switched to the Hynautic and liked it much better. It takes an arm to turn it. Running in big water was a 2-man job. You needed 2 hands to steer.

jdub
12-04-2008, 10:56 AM
I had power steering on my Velocity 30- it was too sensitive and twitchy for an aggressive pad bottom with a high X. I switched to the Hynautic and liked it much better. It takes an arm to turn it. Running in big water was a 2-man job. You needed 2 hands to steer.

how was it around the docks? I'm thinking of doing one for a 28' footer.

Chris
12-04-2008, 11:04 AM
Not bad at all. It's stiffer but still very easy to steer.

jdub
12-04-2008, 11:12 AM
cool...you wouldn't happen to know what Hynautic helm it was(part#) I'm looking to do twin rams.

glassdave
12-04-2008, 11:18 AM
didn't the Hynautic have some sort of positive pressured reservoir or something like that? I had heard they worked well for a non assisted system.

Chris
12-04-2008, 12:20 PM
Yes- the reservoir held a reserve of fluid and was pressurized to eliminate aeration of the fluid

northernoffshore
12-04-2008, 01:06 PM
Hynautic helm are H21 (small one) H41 bigger double stack pump. Capilanos are good also1275v. and even the big circular Hydrive helm works well but is heavy(like 40lbs.) I have a capilano with mayfair rams and can steer with my palm and two fingers, I always felt the hynatics turned easier than the other non power systems.

MOBILEMERCMAN
12-04-2008, 01:20 PM
The hynautic pressurized system was the standard until the capilano showed up. You needed to be a gorilla to use the hynautic system. Capilano is much nicer IMO

Twin27Advantage
12-04-2008, 02:15 PM
I went to manual hydraulic steering about five years ago. I love not having to deal with pumps or which motor has it. To me the slower response is nice when running 90+. Before it was very touchy, when running in bigger waves, if you jerked the wheel (since your holding on to it) the boat would respond to that. It still turns great with little input when on plane. Plus you can turn the wheel with a pinky

The only downfall is it takes 8 turns of the wheel to go lock to lock. For a single that would make it tougher docking but with twins you don't use the wheel for docking anyway.

I will dig to see if I can find the part number, they make a higher volume one then mine that reduces the amount of turns lock to lock.

HaxbySpeed
12-04-2008, 03:16 PM
There is an Italian company called BCS that is owned by TwinDisc, they make excellent high quality cast aluminum helm pumps for most of the major luxury yacht builders. They're awesome! When deciding which helm you need the angle of the ram(s) in relation to the tiller arm, the length of the arm, and the length of travel from lock to lock as well as the volume of the cylinder is required to calculate displacement of your helm pump, number of turns lock to lock, and steering force required. PM me or phone if you like and I'm happy to help, I can also get you a killer deal on whatever helm pump you choose. Also I have a 12v electric power assist unit with an RPM on/off switch so you can have it automatically turn on when you slow down to idle around the docks, or run it full time if you like finger tip steering.. :)

Alex 604 315 0570

http://www.bcsmarine.com/

mbam
12-04-2008, 06:30 PM
We used the Capilano extensivly back in the day. Much easier to turn than the Hynautic. Also has adjustable displacement (you can change the turns lock to lock). We also added a pressurized resevoir to avoid the hole in the dash for filling. Just ran 10 psi or so. They have a valve that mounts on the transom that makes it pretty much self bleeding.

HotPursuit
12-07-2008, 01:52 AM
The hynautic pressurized system was the standard until the capilano showed up. You needed to be a gorilla to use the hynautic system. Capilano is much nicer IMO
Gorilla on steroids
Ran hynautic on a 25 Warlock tunnel, hated it around the docks and flipped it in rough water!! Still think the lock to lock was to slow for a fast boat.

Rookie
12-07-2008, 03:53 AM
I will dig to see if I can find the part number, they make a higher volume one then mine that reduces the amount of turns lock to lock.

I have only been asking you for that part number for a year! Lets get to it!!!!

HaxbySpeed
12-07-2008, 04:02 PM
The capilano pumps were great back in the day but there is much better quality stuff available now. They used to run a three line system with a "Uniflow valve" mounted on the transom that mbam mentioned. It was a great system but is no longer sold or serviced. In my experience the adjustable displacement feature is the weak link on the cap's. The teleflex / hynautic pumps, are cheap and available everywhere but are not really what I'd want on an offshore boat. I don't know if the older ones were stronger but the new ones are prone to cracking at the base of the housing resulting in fluid loss if you're really holding on to the wheel. This might not be an issue depending on how you are mounting it though...

MOBILEMERCMAN
12-07-2008, 11:50 PM
Haxby,
Everyone has been answering your question. My question is why not use the power steering? They are pretty reliable. IMO a power steering systems is better without comparison.

Good luck with what ever you decide.

HaxbySpeed
12-08-2008, 03:00 AM
Haxby,
Everyone has been answering your question. My question is why not use the power steering? They are pretty reliable. IMO a power steering systems is better without comparison.

I think you mean Hot Boat.. I wasn't asking any questions, just trying to steer him in the right direction.. :sifone:

MOBILEMERCMAN
12-08-2008, 10:05 AM
HaxbySpeed, You are correct.

HotPursuit
12-08-2008, 08:31 PM
Haxby,

:iagree:

northernoffshore
12-13-2008, 06:05 PM
this is the good hynautic pump