PDA

View Full Version : Broke upper gears again!

Revd Up
08-22-2010, 11:24 PM
This is the second time in 14 months that I broke my drive, and I need to go with something stronger. It is a standard Bravo drive with 1.5 ratio and DWP. It is the newer style drive with serial number starting with OW. The engine is a 502/565 hp. Boat is a 2005 Velocity 260. I am easy on the throttle out of the hole , but do run in rough water about 50% of the time and do my best to make sure I'm off the throttle when airborne. The upper gear set is what is breaking.
Would an XZ or XR be a better drive for my set up?
I have heard the XR will be a little slower and I really hate to loose any speed.
I am not sure which way to go, but something has to change as this is not holding up.

teamsynergy
08-23-2010, 07:15 AM
Call George at All American Outdrive... his number is 517-270-3203. Tell him Todd J. sent you with the Sonic. I have twin 575's and my XZ's he built me are running strong... We are lake michigan boats 100% of the time and big water is our game... BTW.. he offers a 2 year warranty.....

Todd

PARADOX
08-23-2010, 08:42 AM
Revd up..
Good to see some one from Rockford. I used to live there. Ripped up the Rock back in the 70's with a little 16' Hustler.
The Bavos have an "upper driveshaft issue" and the niddle bearing/gear problem. (Search threads and read.) I have a complete XR gear set, minus the uper driveshaft. I found the problem early. The upper shaft gets worn a bit and a grove developes, then vibration, then upper gear problems. If you need the parts, let me know.

High Priority
08-23-2010, 08:35 PM
I have a complete XR drive for sale. The upper is like new (very few hours) The lower is a little older, but is in great shape. The lower has LWP, and a nose cone on it. SUPPER deal. This is a bolt on and go. Any one interested sent me a PM.

RACESDAD
08-24-2010, 10:09 PM
i have 2 xr sportmasters i would love to get to them out of the garage

Revd Up
08-24-2010, 11:04 PM
PM sent.

Stingray468
10-29-2010, 04:32 PM
Revd up..
Good to see some one from Rockford. I used to live there. Ripped up the Rock back in the 70's with a little 16' Hustler.
The Bavos have an "upper driveshaft issue" and the niddle bearing/gear problem. (Search threads and read.) I have a complete XR gear set, minus the uper driveshaft. I found the problem early. The upper shaft gets worn a bit and a grove developes, then vibration, then upper gear problems. If you need the parts, let me know.
So the gears from a XR drive will work in my bravo 1.5? I have the same problem with the upper gears in mine.

imco offshore
10-29-2010, 06:07 PM
yes ,, and the very little you loose ,,it,s well worth it ,,ps you can get back and then some with a little prop work from THROTTLE-UP ,,,

t500hps
10-29-2010, 08:03 PM
I sold my boat and have a nearly new 1.50 XR sitting in the garage. It was my spare and needs to go.

Stingray468
10-29-2010, 09:49 PM
How much for the XR 500hps?

t500hps
10-29-2010, 10:09 PM
$4,200 and I'll pay shipping if you can accept it to a dock on a pallet.

5 hours after replacing pitted gears I over-trimmed a drive trying to get over a sandbar....cracked the case at the input shaft (damage done at idle). Bought a new case, new bearings, new seals, re-used those 5 hour old gears and other internals. Gutted the lower and sanded, primed, paint, and clear-coat before re-assembly. Been sitting in the garage as a spare ever since. 2003 era non-swept back 1.50 XR w/ dual water pick-ups.
pics of drive listed in swap shop