PDA

View Full Version : Bravo 1 gimble housing removal

PARADOX
08-17-2010, 06:09 PM
How do Iget this thing off. I have 4 little bolts on the side of the pivot, OK I can get those off, then what?
I also want to replace the gimble bearing.. help..
Thx
p

imco offshore
08-17-2010, 07:43 PM
Peter what are u trying to get off,,,

MOBILEMERCMAN
08-17-2010, 08:09 PM
Sounds like he is talking about the bell housing and hinge pins.

PARADOX
08-17-2010, 08:32 PM
Peter what are u trying to get off,,,

What I try to get off is not your business. LMAO. :cheers2: I don't need any help there.

I have to change the bellows on my Infinity. older Bravo 1. I got the bellows off, but I'm not sure I can get it back on with out removing the gimble/bell housing. I got 4 little bolts on the side and then a plate of sort. Pin ? holding the gimble/bell on? So just trying to get ready if I have to remove (not get off) the gimble/bell housing to put back the bellows. Plus I want to change the inner gimble bearing while I'm at this point.

Thx
P

phragle
08-17-2010, 09:41 PM
there is a big pin threaded in under the trim senders, you need a special socket to get it out, It can be a little difficult as there is red loctited on the threads so use a breaker bar and put some azz into it. the socket isnt very expensive and it will be happy in your tool box.

BGIII
08-18-2010, 08:17 AM
I used some heat on the housing around the backside of those pins once I had the bellows out. I did not use enough to damage the paint on the housing and it helped in getting those pins out without ripping the threads out of the housing.

MOBILEMERCMAN
08-18-2010, 09:06 AM
I got 4 little bolts on the side and then a plate of sort. Pin ? holding the gimble/bell on?
P

Sounds like a HP bellhousing /pin set up. The 4 bolts hold the hinge pin. It is possible to change the bellows with the bell housing on. Not fun or easy but possible.. The bearing gets changed when the bell is ON.

This shows the threaded on and the plate one it sounds like you have.

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_pictures3.asp?dnbr=891749001&ivar=IMAGES/COMMON/21194.png&inbr=11406&bnbr=90&bdesc=Gimbal+Ring+and+Steering+Lever

imco offshore
08-18-2010, 01:25 PM
peter call me if you need the special tool for the pins ,,i,ll send it down to ya..

PARADOX
08-18-2010, 02:09 PM
Thanks George, I will try to get the bellows on with out removing the bell housing first. If I get in trouble, your phone will ring. :)

Boat Tech
08-19-2010, 03:00 PM
Thanks George, I will try to get the bellows on with out removing the bell housing first. If I get in trouble, your phone will ring. :)A tip for you, I have heard if you remove the ring inside the U-joint bellows, It makes it much more flexible to get the bellows in there.

Just remember the exact way the ring is installed now, So that you can reinstall the ring the exact same way it had come out.