PDA

View Full Version : ORANGE BEACH WORLDS ARE A GO!!!!

Ron P
08-13-2010, 03:25 PM
Sometimes things just work out for the best. You’ll recall when we had to cancel the race in Orange Beach due to their crumbling economy, lack of sponsorship funds and potential devastation to their beaches. From there we called our friends in Lake of the Ozarks to see if they could pull off a World Class event in October. We worked with the folks in LOTO but as of a few days ago, we received notice that they would not be able to pull together the funding needed for our World Championship event this October. Hours later the phone rang with a very excited race producer in Orange Beach saying that they found the money and wanted to put the event back on the schedule. In fact, they NEEDED to put Orange Beach back on the OPA schedule.

It turns out that BP has given two million dollars to the State of Alabama for them to bring in events that will help the Gulf Coast to recuperate economically from the worst environmental disaster in known history. Thunder on the Gulf is slated to receive a portion of these funds, enough to put on a World Championship Race with two days of racing in front of a very appreciative crowd, hungry to see Offshore Racing return to the Gulf Shores. ----- PRIZE PURSE IS $50,000!!!!

http://www.fox10tv.com/dpp/news/local_news/baldwin_county/thunder-on-the-gulf-returns-in-october - Orange Beach Press Release on local news.

Orange Beach has done a lot for offshore racing over the years and now it’s our turn to repay the favor by making this the biggest event of 2010. In order to facilitate this, OPA has pledged to offer NO COST RACING to all teams registered with any organization during the 2010 season. None registered teams will pay a nominal fee. No registration fees and no race entry fees. Just come and race.

Orange Beach will also be rolling out the red carpet for our teams by offering discounted hotel and condo rentals to help you keep costs down. More details to follow.

Here’s the schedule.
Wed – Teams arrive – First meeting
Thursday – Practice on the race course – party at night.
Friday – Race 1 – BIG Party at night
Saturday – Practice on the race course and Golf Tournament – Free day
Sunday – Race 2 – Big Party along with awards

By racing on Friday and Sunday we hope to draw in families that will stay in town for all three days.

At this time, we need to put the call out for volunteers. On the water and off the water. If you’re interested in becoming a patrol or turn boat, please email info@thunderonthegulf.com.

So mark your calendars for the week of October 12-17 and make plans to be in Orange Beach for the 2010 OPA World Championship Races.

Bodyshot1
08-13-2010, 03:39 PM
Ron..include me in the plans...thx.

Ratickle
08-13-2010, 03:44 PM
Wow Ron, that's kinda cool......

imco offshore
08-13-2010, 03:46 PM
NOW THAT IS GOOD NEWS ,,A GREAT RACE SITE,,

MANITIE
08-13-2010, 04:45 PM
Glad to hear.....had a ball last time we raced there.....
Looking foward to that one again....
I spent most of my time at the place called the KEGG.....open 24 hours a day...
That was a ruff 7 days....

Tyler Crockett
08-14-2010, 08:03 AM
Glad to hear.....had a ball last time we raced there.....
Looking foward to that one again....
I spent most of my time at the place called the KEGG.....open 24 hours a day...
That was a ruff 7 days....

Gino isn't that a gay bar ?????

DriverofDonzi
08-14-2010, 08:48 AM
That's great news to hear!!!!! Good luck to all teams who are planning on racing at Orange Beach!

Chris

MANITIE
08-14-2010, 09:42 AM
Gino isn't that a gay bar ?????

damm....I'm spechless...and have to amitt....that was a go one....:willy_nilly:

NO IT WAS NOT.....At least I hope not....I brought most of the F1 Teams there a cople of nights later...its the only bar I have ever been to that served beer 23 hours a day...and the one hour they did not...they served breckfest..I think..it was I think 7 - 8 am...and at 8:01am it was bloddy marrys...