PDA

View Full Version : Not for Hire

Big Time
08-12-2010, 02:51 PM
Can someone please explain to me again (I forgot the reason) why some of the larger tow rigs have the "Not for Hire" on the side of the trucks? I know that someone on here has to know....

Buoy
08-12-2010, 09:52 PM
I'm just guessing here, but I would imagine it is so they are not subject to being a "commercial vehicle" for inspection purposes. Some states (such as CA) you are subject to a search if you are a commercial vehicle.
I was hauling a boat for a buddy from CA, and because it's wasn't a commercial haul, I could breeze through the regular check point and didn't get pulled over for further inspection.
I think in some states, commercial vehicle inspection is mandatory.
But take this all as just an opinion and my own reasoning, just because I've asked myself the same question.

teamsynergy
08-13-2010, 06:59 AM
Bouy's right... has to do with DOT regulatations and how you register your tow vehicle. If you are a non-commercial (non-paid) carrier grossing over xxxx weight, you must register and have DOT numbers. With those numbers, if you are a private, non-commercial, you must display a "not for hire" which helps you through the PITA weigh stations...

Bgchuby01
08-13-2010, 08:56 AM
over 26,000lbs you need to have a DOT number even for private and you must go through the scales if you want to be legal. Now I was over 26,000 lots of times but because the truck looked private I drove right passed the scales and most of the time did not have a problem. The port of entry scale at pencacola florida will give you the most problem anywhere in the US. Calif scales have signs that say no pickups, Even if you have a pickup bed mounted on a Pete you do not have to stop. Each state looks at it there own way. Also over a registered weight of 26,000 you are suppose to have an IFTA sticker on the truck but again if you look private most scale houses will not bother you.

Big Time
08-20-2010, 03:33 PM
Thanks guys