PDA

View Full Version : Cross Overs or Circulating Pumps

eightsecmopar
08-03-2010, 10:11 AM
Just curious what everyone is running. I have cross overs without the bypass, have a restrictor plate in there but the engines still aren't getting any heat in them.

MILD THUNDER
08-03-2010, 12:22 PM
Do you have blowers? If you do, then you want cool water temps, and good oil temps. If you do not have blowers, and you wanna add some heat, you will need to go with a bypass setup and run a T-stat. Those restrictor plates dont seem to do much for providing water temp. The idea seems right, but all i see them do is add water PSI to the system.

Without T-stats. its real hard to build water temp on lake michigan.

eightsecmopar
08-03-2010, 01:12 PM
No blowers. Just N/A. That's exactly what happened with the water pressure after I put the restrictors in. Do you need to install a pressure relief valve in the system when using a crossover setup with the t-stat?

MILD THUNDER
08-03-2010, 03:47 PM
No blowers. Just N/A. That's exactly what happened with the water pressure after I put the restrictors in. Do you need to install a pressure relief valve in the system when using a crossover setup with the t-stat?

Its definitly not a bad idea to install one. What oil temps are you getting?

OBNOXUS
08-03-2010, 04:21 PM
put receric pumps on

MILD THUNDER
08-03-2010, 05:21 PM
put receric pumps on

I agree. Not a huge fan of crossovers. They look cool and all, but always seem to lead to cooling issues and water PSI issues.

Restrictor plates do work in cars, to help slow down the coolant flow thru the radiatior, but in a boat all they seem to do is make more PSI in the block, which is not good.

eightsecmopar
08-03-2010, 07:39 PM
Oil temps are 180 cruising and climb to 210 when I'm on it.

MILD THUNDER
08-04-2010, 12:02 PM
Oil temps are 180 cruising and climb to 210 when I'm on it.

Thats not really to bad. Mostly anyone running blower motors on the big pond sees those temps. Of course if you had a EFI motor thats no good, becuase the ecu would never go into closed loop mode. But i wouldnt worry about it. As long as you dont see any milky substance under the valve covers.

You can always put circ pumps back on and run t-stats to get water temps up to say 140-160. But then you might end up seeing high oil temps too, depending on your oil cooler size.

eightsecmopar
08-04-2010, 12:26 PM
Thanks, appreciate the help

OBNOXUS
08-04-2010, 05:17 PM
yup,,,,,,Thats actually good,,,,,,oil needs to get warm enough to get any condensation out of it.