PDA

View Full Version : Prop Hazing over

GodspeedCig
08-02-2010, 03:57 PM
The last couple of times out I noticed one of the props getting a dull haze like film on it. A little brillo pad and some elbow grease will remove it, but I'm curious if this is an indication of heat or some other problem going on with that drive. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ThrottleUp Props
08-02-2010, 04:30 PM
Most likely it is the different minerals in the water or as sometimes referred to as hard water deposits.

Julie

GodspeedCig
08-02-2010, 04:50 PM
Thanks Julie. The water is a little different this year due to the severe drought we've had, but it seems to only happen on the one side. That's what kind of threw me.

ThrottleUp Props
08-02-2010, 05:45 PM
Post a piture if you can. I am happy to take a look for you, a one side/drive would be unusual.

Julie

Lee
08-02-2010, 06:28 PM
The last couple of times out I noticed one of the props getting a dull haze like film on it. A little brillo pad and some elbow grease will remove it, but I'm curious if this is an indication of heat or some other problem going on with that drive. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have seen this before, the mineral deposits a hard white crusty haze on one side of a twin engine boat, problem was the speedo pitot which was causing that prop to slightly cavitate (lower pressure on one side of the prop which lowers the boiling point of water which heats up leaving the mineral deposits) it also caused slight pin holes in the top rear of the drive skeg, repositioned the pitot and all was well, also CLR would remove the crusty stuff, soak a rag in it, wipe it on let it sit a short time and it wipes right off.
Did you make any recent changes to the transom of your boat?

ThrottleUp Props
08-02-2010, 07:27 PM
This is exactly what I thought could be the case. Good job figuring yours out, Lee.

Julie

GodspeedCig
08-03-2010, 04:36 PM
Thanks for the inputs LEE and Julie. Now to show my ignorance, since I have shorties and a GPS speedo, where do I look for a pitot opening? Is it on the leading edge of the lower?

Gonzo
10-16-2010, 04:58 PM
It can also be electrolisis. What you are seeing is the sacrificial anode depositing on the propeller. You may have anodes of different metals from one side to the other.

Donskihp
10-16-2010, 05:44 PM
Cleaning SS with a steel wool pad can put small particles on steel in SS pores, causing the SS to start rusting. I learned this the hard way, and found ss hardware rusting. once this happens the only way to rid the SS of these impurties is to pickel the metal.

old377guy
10-16-2010, 08:13 PM
Cleaning SS with a steel wool pad can put small particles on steel in SS pores, causing the SS to start rusting. I learned this the hard way, and found ss hardware rusting. once this happens the only way to rid the SS of these impurties is to pickel the metal.

use bronze wool

bbladesprops
11-08-2010, 03:38 PM
A hard water stain removers will often remove the stains. Otherwise have the props buffed and spray them with a light oil when they are out of the water. If the propblem persists, find out if other boats in your marina are experiencing the same effect. Stray current from shore power can cause this to occur as well. If stray power can't be a issue, ventilating or cavitating propellers in high mineral content or "brackish" water could cause the effect and that opens another can of worms.
Check you slip numbers.

Brett

GodspeedCig
11-15-2010, 04:33 PM
I don't know if this makes any sense, but I found a pebble wedged in one of the openings in the low water pickup. The problem seems to have gone away since I removed it.