PDA

View Full Version : Older Mirage props question

ROGUE
07-28-2010, 03:23 PM
Ive got quite a collection of older rubber hub Mirage props, some round hub, some square. Im pretty sure there are hub inserts for the square hub props but do they make them for the old round hubs too?

Since I blew a rubber hub out on a square hub prop can I get all the rubber out and use an insert? Are the thrust washers and lock washers the same?

If they do have them for the round hubs, how do they keep from spinning?

Cant really afford new props right now and have to do the best I can. I dont know if anyone still molds the rubber hubs in anymore and they never worked very good after that anyway.

ThrottleUp Props
07-28-2010, 05:22 PM
Ive got quite a collection of older rubber hub Mirage props, some round hub, some square. Im pretty sure there are hub inserts for the square hub props but do they make them for the old round hubs too? No, they do not make them for the round hubs.

Since I blew a rubber hub out on a square hub prop can I get all the rubber out and use an insert? Yes, you can. Are the thrust washers and lock washers the same? Chances are you can but the hub kits come with all the hardware anyway.
If they do have them for the round hubs, how do they keep from spinning? Not available.

Cant really afford new props right now and have to do the best I can. I dont know if anyone still molds the rubber hubs in anymore and they never worked very good after that anyway. Any local propeller shop can re-hub the propeller for you as long as the hub housing is in good shape.

ROGUE
07-29-2010, 01:02 PM
Any local propeller shop can re-hub the propeller for you as long as the hub housing is in good shape.

Thanks, eons ago I had a couple done at Cleveland Propeller and they blew out quickly so I stopped doing that. Ran solids for many years and still have a set of those but I like the hub props better. Ill get a couple kits. Any neat ideas on removing the old molded in hubs from props. I do have a 50 ton press.

ThrottleUp Props
07-29-2010, 04:10 PM
Well when you try to push the hub out, chances are the brass insert will be the first part to give way. Once thats is out you will be left with just the rubber. Now the fun begins. You will probably try two or three nifty techniques to get the rubber out....be diligent it will eventually come out. You will find that the most difficult area will be were the hub is melted on the walls of the hub housing. We would use a chisel and good ole elbow grease!!!!

Be patient, you'll get it!

Julie

rchevelle71
07-29-2010, 04:49 PM
We would use a chisel and good ole elbow grease!!!!

Be patient, you'll get it!

Julie

Somehow I think you were referring to Matt, I dont see you with a chisel in your hand:sifone:

ThrottleUp Props
07-29-2010, 05:41 PM
You do know me well, Rick! My elbows are to small for such a task!

Julie

rchevelle71
07-29-2010, 09:07 PM
You do know me well, Rick! My elbows are to small for such a task!

Julie

:seeya:Hope to see you at a race soon, maybe clearwater??:driving:

ThrottleUp Props
07-29-2010, 09:10 PM
Definately, Clearwater!

Julie

rchevelle71
07-30-2010, 09:11 AM
Definately, Clearwater!

Julie

COOL,

I have been outta the loop a bit lately, but plan on attending Clearwater, may even bring the Pantera over for a little ride:driving: