PDA

View Full Version : It was bumpy today!

paulb32
07-25-2010, 09:58 PM
So even though weather said small craft warnings, NE winds with 3-6's, I drove out to Each Chicago with the inlaws and dad to try it. Well the marina was about empty of trailer boaters, we gota few hundres yards out and they were 4 ft already. A beautiful restored 390 Stinger was ahead of me and I saw him launch, land, then stop. He went a bit and turned around.
I kept at about 22 mph, and the rollers had to be 6's with ocasional steep 7. There wern't less than 5 anywhere. Coming right out of NW. Only got to almost end of break wall and inlaws said no way. Boat actually jumped a few steep ones at that speed.
Another 38 Fountain did the same thing I did. A couple said they tried their ski boat at the beach to the EAst and waves were crashing over the bow while anchored.
It was cool floating around in that snot for a bit. Was hopin to at least get to hammond hang at T dock a bit but no way. Back to IL River for a bit. Lots of land mines there to dodge too but at least boated a while today.

OBNOXUS
07-25-2010, 10:13 PM
yup,,,,read the wave report,,,,,,and left it on the trailer !!!!!

Buoy
07-25-2010, 10:58 PM
wussies!!!:sifone:

Just kidding, it ain't no fun going out and getting beat up.
I say BS to anyone that doesn't think the great lakes is "big water"

Magic Medicine
07-26-2010, 09:51 AM
yup,,,,read the wave report,,,,,,and left it on the trailer !!!!!

:iagree: That makes 2 of us. Nice CHEAP weekend!

redhotsommer
07-26-2010, 10:05 AM
:iagree: Nice CHEAP weekend!

With Boyne Thunder and the birthday weekend back to back...I burned like 250 gallons in two weeks. Didn't take NEARLY that much to ride my bike this weekend and again next weekend! :) But...boat is filled up and oil is changed...ready to rock for the SBI weekend!

MILD THUNDER
07-26-2010, 10:11 AM
Not a great weekend weatherwise. Heavy rain all weekend, then the one sunny day we get its NE winds and 5+fters.

However, there was time for cocktails and a few rounds of checkers at the marina.

Blue Oval
07-26-2010, 10:30 AM
Spent the weekend in Elk Rapids, ran down into East Bay yesterday, flat water! Ride home got a little choppy, almost to Cement plant nailed a couple waves and someone dumped a swimming pool into my boat! Felt good I was hot!

Magic Medicine
07-26-2010, 10:33 AM
With Boyne Thunder and the birthday weekend back to back...I burned like 250 gallons in two weeks. Didn't take NEARLY that much to ride my bike this weekend and again next weekend! :) But...boat is filled up and oil is changed...ready to rock for the SBI weekend!

No scene party for you?????

OBNOXUS
07-26-2010, 10:43 AM
No scene party for you?????

Nope ,,,,, he is bailing on us

redhotsommer
07-26-2010, 10:49 AM
I HATE the Scene party. Amateur day. Even if I was gonna be around, I'd only go if it was on someone else's boat.

MILD THUNDER
07-26-2010, 11:33 AM
I HATE the Scene party. Amateur day. Even if I was gonna be around, I'd only go if it was on someone else's boat.

I couldnt agree more. Theres way to much going on there for me. I have a inside source, who tells me the police will be strict as can be this year. Every year there is a multitude of injuries, 911 calls, and someone even died two years ago if i remember right.

The past couple times i been in the playpen, the USCG boats have been up everyones a$$ boarding boats, etc. The mayor wanted to stop this event two summers ago, and they tried. Problem is legally they cant "stop" boats from rafting up in open waters. But they can sure as hell make some arrests, write some tickets, and dish out some DUI's.

Im gonna pass this year. Mike, you should come down and we'll have a sailor jerry party at beer can...

MILD THUNDER
07-26-2010, 11:42 AM
wussies!!!:sifone:

Just kidding, it ain't no fun going out and getting beat up.
I say BS to anyone that doesn't think the great lakes is "big water"

Yup. This lake will hand out stress cracks and cracked stringers if thats what your into!

Someone in a big go fast was outside hammond yesterday running. Guy was running along hopping some swells, when i saw it come straight up, land on its side hard. he returned to idle speed after that. :leaving:

B.Z.
07-26-2010, 12:57 PM

That's just because you got stuck the last couple of years...LOL...sorry Mike I disagree it's been a great time each year I have been there.....I think that the police deal is like the South Side Irish parade, every year they say..."No Drinking on the street" ....well you see how that goes...just my .02

MILD THUNDER
07-26-2010, 01:17 PM
That's just because you got stuck the last couple of years...LOL...sorry Mike I disagree it's been a great time each year I have been there.....I think that the police deal is like the South Side Irish parade, every year they say..."No Drinking on the street" ....well you see how that goes...just my .02

way to much police activity there for me to enjoy a few cocktails and risk the whole DUI thing with my line of work. :(

Plus i'd be worried some drunk broad would be walking across the back of my boat, slip, and get impaled by one of my cleavers sticking off the back.

redhotsommer
07-26-2010, 01:25 PM
That's fine BZ. Next year I'm riding with you, then. And NO, I will not be the DD. Not having to worry about my boat getting bashed against another rafter, stepped on wrong, spilled upon, pulled over or hit by some other drunkass sounds like a LOT more fun!

And don't forget...the police are most likely a bit more financially driven (so-to-speak) this year. Be careful, and have fun.

a-B
07-26-2010, 01:40 PM

BZ, you may have still been in hibernation earlier this year, but the SS Irish Parade has been cancelled indefinitely. I think it may have had something to do with this --> :cheers2:

Magic Medicine
07-26-2010, 07:12 PM
I couldnt agree more. Theres way to much going on there for me. I have a inside source, who tells me the police will be strict as can be this year. Every year there is a multitude of injuries, 911 calls, and someone even died two years ago if i remember right.

The past couple times i been in the playpen, the USCG boats have been up everyones a$$ boarding boats, etc. The mayor wanted to stop this event two summers ago, and they tried. Problem is legally they cant "stop" boats from rafting up in open waters. But they can sure as hell make some arrests, write some tickets, and dish out some DUI's.

Im gonna pass this year. Mike, you should come down and we'll have a sailor jerry party at beer can...

Hey Joe give me a buzz I have an idea:cheers2::driving::sifone:

ICDEDPPL
07-26-2010, 08:01 PM
Seems to me the cops are more gauking at the wemenz than anything else.. Ive never had any trouble with em at the Scene party

Exhilaration
07-26-2010, 10:17 PM
It will get a little crazy!! Still alot of fun!! A must for a DD. Found this off my bow last year!

B.Z.
07-27-2010, 11:36 AM
That's fine BZ. Next year I'm riding with you, then. And NO, I will not be the DD. Not having to worry about my boat getting bashed against another rafter, stepped on wrong, spilled upon, pulled over or hit by some other drunkass sounds like a LOT more fun!

And don't forget...the police are most likely a bit more financially driven (so-to-speak) this year. Be careful, and have fun.

So I guess the next time you go to LOTO you will not go to party cove either????? LOL :kiss:

redhotsommer
07-27-2010, 12:04 PM
No way dude. Those people know exactly what they are doing!