PDA

View Full Version : Any GPS speedo experts?

Twin Whackas
07-06-2010, 05:39 PM
My GPS all of the sudden has about a 7-8 second delay in catching up to my speed as I accelerate. I can reach a speeds where I know I am running hard, but my speedo might say I am only going 80mph. I back off the throttles and the GPS will continue to climb then for approx. 7-8 seconds more, even though I am not accelerating anymore. I can get up to a steady cruising speed and it will read fine, but it is very delayed as I am accelerating hard.

Just looking for any ideas on anything I can check before having to pull stuff out of the boat and send back to AutoMeter to have checked out.

Also, had a blast hanging out with everyone Saturday at Boaters.

Thanks
Mike

MILD THUNDER
07-06-2010, 06:20 PM
Sounds like a possible antenna issue to me. What antenna do you have? Some of them have batteries in them. Maybe the battery is on its way out.

Do you have a GPS nav unit in the boat? I hooked up my old autometer gps speedo to a output wire on my chartplotter to get it working on the Formula. For what they charge for a single GPS antenna, its almost worth it to spend the money on a GPS unit that has outputs for data communication.

ICDEDPPL
07-06-2010, 06:57 PM
Dude youre so fast the sattellites can`t keep up!!!:driving:

MILD THUNDER
07-06-2010, 07:03 PM
Is your antenna like this mike?

http://shopping.rexmar.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=391211&Category_Code=AMGPSRECV

These styles have a little watch battery in them. They seem to only last a couple seasons. Although the dead battery issue seems to just make the gauge needle to stick at the 9:00 position when the battery craps out. Havent really heard of your problem.

I'd double check all the connections and clean them for the signal wires going to the back of the gauge and what not. To take the antenna apart, a mini flathead screwdriver works to pop them apart. You will see the little battery at the bottom. Worth a shot to replace it for 3.00 bucks before sending anything out.

afr
07-06-2010, 09:08 PM
there have been several reports of inaccurate gps readings with several people over the last few years
i had mine a garmin 172 c trip twice once it read a top speed of 96 then another time the next day 114 and both times it locked up the screen and other people report top speeds of triple digits like 330 mph 200 etc some people think it might be solar flares but no one seems to know what inter-fears with the signal and why
i have the old mushroom type antenna under my dash im not sure how accurate any of them are for sure there not 100% all of the time

Donskihp
07-06-2010, 10:18 PM
My Livorsi speedo antenna had a battery in it, and it lasted 4 years.then it just stoped working. I thought about replacing the small battery,but talking to livorsi tech. they said if I replaced the battery The antenna would still need to be reprogramed. I opted for a new antenna without a battery, so I would not have to ever worry about this problen.

MILD THUNDER
07-07-2010, 08:07 AM
Ive had the speedo on the chartplotter trip up a couple times on the Formula. Once i hit the max recall button, and it showed 114mph.

Lots of guys have replaced those little batteries in the antennas with no reprogramming necessary.

Magic Medicine
07-07-2010, 08:15 AM
Ive had the speedo on the chartplotter trip up a couple times on the Formula. Once i hit the max recall button, and it showed 114mph.

Lots of guys have replaced those little batteries in the antennas with no reprogramming necessary.

Thats what I would. How would they reprogram an antenna?????

Tony M
07-07-2010, 08:27 AM
I have one that is in the Dash panel and my Garmin 176c once in awhile the the dash has to catch up with my Garmin but all good so far , I'll know more this week end when I get back from Ruby Mi.

Magic Medicine
07-07-2010, 09:48 AM
I have one that is in the Dash panel and my Garmin 176c once in awhile the the dash has to catch up with my Garmin but all good so far , I'll know more this week end when I get back from Ruby Mi.

O WOW it made the trip!!! Good luck!!!!!!

OBNOXUS
07-07-2010, 10:03 AM
O WOW it made the trip!!! Good luck!!!!!!

Not till Fri

Magic Medicine
07-07-2010, 10:20 AM
Not till Fri

turn and burn, :eek:

Twin Whackas
07-07-2010, 10:36 AM
Yes, that is the one I have. I will check out the battery thing and see if it helps at all. Just weird that this delay just started. I know the GPS can always be a little slow, but mine is realistically 7-8 second delayed.

I ran the new 30 pitch Bblades this weekend and was hoping to get an accurate reading on how they ran, but of course the GPS acts up. :confused:
I did have a nice cruising speed of 75mph @ 4500-4600rpm. I was able to spin them up to 6000rpm, so by calculations they should be faster than my other set. :driving:

Is your antenna like this mike?

http://shopping.rexmar.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=391211&Category_Code=AMGPSRECV

These styles have a little watch battery in them. They seem to only last a couple seasons. Although the dead battery issue seems to just make the gauge needle to stick at the 9:00 position when the battery craps out. Havent really heard of your problem.

I'd double check all the connections and clean them for the signal wires going to the back of the gauge and what not. To take the antenna apart, a mini flathead screwdriver works to pop them apart. You will see the little battery at the bottom. Worth a shot to replace it for 3.00 bucks before sending anything out.

Tony M
07-07-2010, 04:08 PM
turn and burn, :eek: I get a co pilot it will be, if not I'll be in the water by early early Saturday am. :driving: 1300 miles inside of 36 hrs is a bit to much!