PDA

View Full Version : Manning trailer ISSUES!!!

JayFan
07-01-2010, 08:27 AM
I must admit I'm very unhappy with my 2007 30' Manning painted steel trailer. 2 of the brake pads froze up over the winter and broke off the other day. I went to change them and things got VERY ugly!!!!! The 4 calipers are installed at the "nine oclock" position on the axle....and this prevents me from changing the brake pads, because I can't access the lower caliper slider bolt. There is only an inch until I hit the springs, and you can't get the wrench on it...nor can you get the damn bolt OUT! The axle needs to be dropped to access that lower slider bolt. I've been told they should be installed at a 8 or 10 oclock angle.....NOT 9 oclock as mine is.

I had to cut the U bolts (due to rusty nuts etc), drop the axle, and have since rounded out the lower allen bolt in the caliper! Really pissed!!! lol I'm going to have to weld a nut on the end of the allen bolt and hopefully get it out that way..... then realign the calipers to the 8 oclock position....so in case (kill me now!) I need to change them again, it doesn't take me a month to do and don't have to drop the axles etc. etc. etc.

I must admit I'm very unhappy and totally dissatisfied with Manning and will never buy another one, nor recommend one to anyone. To top things off.....Manning tells me they don't even have Kodiak 250 pads in stock..... What a JOKE! Go MYCO next time for sure!

Has anyone had these issues??????

Bgchuby01
07-01-2010, 09:04 AM
just curious, why is an 07 trailer having rust problems? You say its a steel trailer. You live on the sound. Are you putting it into the sound? Steel and salt don't mix. But I agree even though its a steel trailer the brakes should not have had a problem. The only thing I can see is that at the end of last summer you loaded the boat and did not wash the trailer off well enough and over the winter the rust came about and now you have to pay the price. If your trailer never goes into the water to load then manning really is using low grade parts. People buy manning and other brands since they don't want to pay the myco price. Having towed numerous boats around the counrty I have seen alot of good and bad trailers. Even when not taken care of a myco for whatever reason still seems to work. Remember everyone, you get what you pay for.

JayFan
07-01-2010, 10:43 AM
just curious, why is an 07 trailer having rust problems? You say its a steel trailer. You live on the sound. Are you putting it into the sound? Steel and salt don't mix. But I agree even though its a steel trailer the brakes should not have had a problem. The only thing I can see is that at the end of last summer you loaded the boat and did not wash the trailer off well enough and over the winter the rust came about and now you have to pay the price. If your trailer never goes into the water to load then manning really is using low grade parts. People buy manning and other brands since they don't want to pay the myco price. Having towed numerous boats around the counrty I have seen alot of good and bad trailers. Even when not taken care of a myco for whatever reason still seems to work. Remember everyone, you get what you pay for.

I put it in brackish water.....but it still does have some salt. I wash it down everytime, but you are correct salt and steel don't mix. My grip isn't over the rust, but more the insane way the calipers are located with regards to the springs....and the inability to access them to simply change the pads. I'm fixing it to be "correct" and accessable from now on.... live and learn!

I was just wondering if any other Manning owners have had this same sort of issue with the calipers and bolt/spring location......

Slandrew
07-01-2010, 06:33 PM
A lot of boaters will not dunk a trailer crazy as it may seem :confused:I use no salt to prevent the salt attack!:seeya:

endeavor1
07-01-2010, 10:10 PM
Ive had 4 Manning trailers and all have been equipped with Drum brakes. I have been completley satisfied with all of them. I do agree that is an odd angle to mount a caliper at and a sucky design. Sorry about your luck. Hope it all works out.

1. 93 35ft steel
2. 99 40ft steel
3. 01 45ft steel
4. 02 45ft steel current

JayFan
07-01-2010, 10:37 PM
Ive had 4 Manning trailers and all have been equipped with Drum brakes. I have been completley satisfied with all of them. I do agree that is an odd angle to mount a caliper at and a sucky design. Sorry about your luck. Hope it all works out.

1. 93 35ft steel
2. 99 40ft steel
3. 01 45ft steel
4. 02 45ft steel current

Glad to hear you've had good luck with all of those! My trailer is very nice overall.....I'm just frustrated because I thought changing the pads was going to be a 2 hour job.....not a 5 day job!!!!! No biggie.....it'll be great once I get the caliper location corrected!!! :sifone:

endeavor1
07-01-2010, 10:56 PM
Glad to hear you've had good luck with all of those! My trailer is very nice overall.....I'm just frustrated because I thought changing the pads was going to be a 2 hour job.....not a 5 day job!!!!! No biggie.....it'll be great once I get the caliper location corrected!!! :sifone:

I hear ya on that one. simple job turns nightmare. Seems how the boating world works. If you have the spare coin, go electric over hydraulic. That may be a winter project for me. THe weight of my boat is the biggest reason for me. Instant braking versus surge. Good luck and carry on :seeya:

Madpoodle
07-02-2010, 12:41 PM
Aside from the mounting location, the brake issues are kodiak not Manning. Kodiak, even on their all sst brakes, uses plain steel backing plate pads. Chevy I believe, crapa carries them if you have a set to match to.