PDA

View Full Version : Orange Beach Update

Ron P
06-30-2010, 11:41 AM
It is with great disappointment that OPA must cancel the World Championship Races that were to be held in Orange Beach, Alabama during the week of October 11 – 17, 2010. Our primary concern is for the safety of the OPA Teams, their equipment and the people of Orange Beach and Gulf Coast.

We would like to thank the Gulf Coast Offshore Powerboat Association for the exceptional events previously hosted in Orange Beach. Orange Beach is considered to be one of the premier venues for Offshore Powerboat Racing in the United States and we hope to return to Orange Beach in 2011. Hopefully the beaches and Gulf waters will be back to their former beauty by then.

We look forward to a continuing relationship with the City of Orange Beach and the Gulf Coast Offshore Powerboat Association and wish our friends and fans along the Gulf Coast a speedy and full recovery.

In place of Orange Beach, we are working with the folks in Lake of the Ozarks, MO to move our Worlds to their inland protected lake during the same week in October. Hopefully they can raise the money and gain the permits needed to facilitate the OPA Worlds. Worst case scenario, we’ll try to race twice – Friday and Sunday in Maryland and call that our National Championship and World Championship event.

Stay tuned as things develop, we’ll keep you notified.

Smitty

MANITIE
06-30-2010, 12:52 PM
That sucks...but safety first...

Any luck of having it up North.....

Ratickle
06-30-2010, 01:24 PM
That does suck. I was planning on making that a vacation to watch the championship and look for a place to retire to....

Mobilemercman says it's one of the premier spots in the country....

Waht about the city on Lake Erie OPA was working with last year that didn't quite pan out? I think it was GlassDave and 2TR who were trying? Or Dean? Don't remember all the specifics.

Dirty Pearl
06-30-2010, 01:41 PM
The World Championships need to be held in the ocean with real water virsus an inland lake with no water.

MANITIE
06-30-2010, 02:19 PM
The World Championships need to be held in the ocean with real water virsus an inland lake with no water.

I'm all for it being a Ocean race....

Ron P
06-30-2010, 04:36 PM
That does suck. I was planning on making that a vacation to watch the championship and look for a place to retire to....

Mobilemercman says it's one of the premier spots in the country....

Waht about the city on Lake Erie OPA was working with last year that didn't quite pan out? I think it was GlassDave and 2TR who were trying? Or Dean? Don't remember all the specifics.

Look at Destin too!!

Ron P
06-30-2010, 04:37 PM
LOTO is awesome and there's no oil in the water there. Gotta do what ya gotta do.

Mike A.
06-30-2010, 07:42 PM
LOTO is awesome and there's no oil in the water there. Gotta do what ya gotta do.

Damn, St. Pete is pretty nice too. Just sayin.

:leaving:

Whoz Your Daddy
06-30-2010, 07:44 PM
I'm all for it being a Ocean race....

Just my 2 cents but the Ocean is where OPA worlds should be.

skaterdave
06-30-2010, 08:51 PM
somewhere near jacksonville would be cool and centrally located. maybe talk with the guys that do the jax poker run. a combo event?

Ron P
06-30-2010, 10:08 PM
The World should be in the ocean, that's why we worked with Orange Beach but as you know, there's problems with an oil spill down there right now.

Its not easy to find new race sites. Permits must be in 135 days before the event and raising the money to fund the race is another obsticle. LOTO is working hard to make this happen. If anyone else has a viable site with a built in racing organization and can raise the funds, lets hear it.

Whoz Your Daddy
06-30-2010, 10:54 PM
How about Atlantic city in Sept? I remember them years ago. It was awesome

MANITIE
06-30-2010, 11:31 PM
How about Atlantic city in Sept? I remember them years ago. It was awesome

That would be a good place...and if permits become a issue..let me see what I can get done with my folks in DC...

any chance of Phil getting things done to return us to Ocean City, MD

Wanted Racing
07-01-2010, 07:18 AM
I will open the hotel up in October and will bills if u guys want to bring the race back to oc. and the town will probably give us the inlet parking lot at that time. just don't wait to long to make a decision.

Bodyshot1
07-01-2010, 08:25 AM
..had a feeling this would happen..damn shame...for everyone!

Whoz Your Daddy
07-01-2010, 06:13 PM
I will open the hotel up in October and will bills if u guys want to bring the race back to oc. and the town will probably give us the inlet parking lot at that time. just don't wait to long to make a decision.

:cheers2:

R&S OFFSHORE
07-01-2010, 06:31 PM
How about Key West, Work it out Ron and Smitty,

Ron P
07-01-2010, 09:49 PM
How about Key West, Work it out Ron and Smitty,

That's been tried many times. It would be nice but,,,,everyone needs to want to make it happen.

High Priority
07-02-2010, 07:13 AM
I vote for an ocean race somewhere, but we need to think about how the weather will be in mid/late Oct. too. It would not be any fun if we had to winterize boats after race testing and races.

Trim'd Up
07-02-2010, 07:45 AM
LOTO would be great for me. I really enjoyed the races there the last couple of years. On the other hand, Oct. weather can be pretty hit or miss around here.

AugiePensa
07-02-2010, 08:46 AM
Me and Smitty have been talking and Louie The Rigger got a kick outta it but we're thinking The Bering Sea! Even Ron likes the idea.

Wazzup Racing
07-02-2010, 09:52 AM
I honestly thought you guys would be happy not to run Eight races. BUT...........if you really want to.........Ocean, October? Hold on to your lug nutz.

skaterdave
07-02-2010, 10:02 AM
damn smitty, OC in october? BBBRRRRRRRRRR

Next Generation
07-02-2010, 12:09 PM
Ocean City MD??????

AugiePensa
07-02-2010, 01:16 PM
damn smitty, OC in october? BBBRRRRRRRRRR

Just think how good the engines will run

phragle
07-02-2010, 01:25 PM
This just in from OPA Medical and Safety....

Do to the likelyhood of big air running Ocean City in October, all non-canopy boats will require parachutes be worn in addition to life vests. White will be an acceptable color, but bright colors are preferred as they will look better on television.

Louietherigger
07-02-2010, 09:19 PM
:driving:Yeah Bering Sea sounds good! :cheers2: Or has anyone looked into Washington state or Alaska? lol I'm sure Time Bandit knows some folks over there! Fresh king crabs yummy.

heater63
07-03-2010, 09:59 AM
Destin,Destin,Destin

MANITIE
07-03-2010, 10:24 AM
Its good to have connections...
the course has been picked...

Time: Oct
Place: Columbia River, WA
Course...

Start finish boat:

MANITIE
07-03-2010, 10:26 AM
Turn 1:

MANITIE
07-03-2010, 10:27 AM
Turn 2

MANITIE
07-03-2010, 10:28 AM
Turn 3...they said it gets a little ruff in that turn

MANITIE
07-03-2010, 10:29 AM
Turn 4 you go into the calm section and then back out to the ruff stuff

Ratickle
07-03-2010, 06:21 PM
Live din Portland area for 37 years. I've gone over the bar when the Coast Guard said 40+ footers....:eek: (Lucky to have made it)

Are you from there?

Wanted Racing
07-04-2010, 07:05 AM
The ocean here is still warmer in october than it was in may, don't be a bunch of puss_'s.:sifone:

MANITIE
07-04-2010, 11:46 AM
Live din Portland area for 37 years. I've gone over the bar when the Coast Guard said 40+ footers....:eek: (Lucky to have made it)

Are you from there?

No...just talked to some C.G. guys that ran boats out there...they said it is sick...but the best place to train

fantastixvoyage
07-07-2010, 11:04 AM
Two words....Grand Haven!

As much as i HATE their noise ordinances on a typical wkend they totally openend their doors for the Smoke on the Water poker run and the APBA races back in the day.

Make it happen! Lake Michigan can can get HUGE out there, nice public beach, plenty of dock space and hotel rooms, fun bars...ok maybe a bit cold in Oct :rolleyes:

Its a Coast Guard town too so maybe Gino could work his magic. If not this year, keep it in mind for a future race site.

MANITIE
07-07-2010, 04:09 PM
Two words....Grand Haven!

As much as i HATE their noise ordinances on a typical wkend they totally openend their doors for the Smoke on the Water poker run and the APBA races back in the day.

Make it happen! Lake Michigan can can get HUGE out there, nice public beach, plenty of dock space and hotel rooms, fun bars...ok maybe a bit cold in Oct :rolleyes:

Its a Coast Guard town too so maybe Gino could work his magic. If not this year, keep it in mind for a future race site.

I had a ball racing there years back....great town...great support...so great I missed my flight out the next morning....

Ratickle
07-08-2010, 12:10 PM
Grand Haven is awesome. May be the Smoke on the Water guys would be interested in put on a race.

Do you Seriously want it checked?

AugiePensa
07-08-2010, 04:55 PM
Guy's...and ladies, the good people of Lake Of The Ozarks, Mo have been in talks with us at OPA and they are trying to fit us in for a Worlds on short notice. I think they would like to hear "Thanks" Maybe? Everyone wants to race an ocean race in October until an Iceberg comes floating by...Remember, we had a beautiful site...Orange Beach, Al.,they now have oil floating in the Gulf where you would be racing! Don't think so, OPA's first concern is your safety. Just a thought, these people are trying for "You"! Most don't realize what it takes to put on an event, and in short notice, how much bull$hit ya gotta listen to and there is ALWAYS someone who knows more that you and what your doing. Ask anyone who puts on an event, whether it's a race or poker run... so in closing all I gotta say is We, "OPA" called them, to help put on a race for "You".

Ratickle
07-08-2010, 10:07 PM
Guy's...and ladies, the good people of Lake Of The Ozarks, Mo have been in talks with us at OPA and they are trying to fit us in for a Worlds on short notice. I think they would like to hear "Thanks" Maybe? Everyone wants to race an ocean race in October until an Iceberg comes floating by...Remember, we had a beautiful site...Orange Beach, Al.,they now have oil floating in the Gulf where you would be racing! Don't think so, OPA's first concern is your safety. Just a thought, these people are trying for "You"! Most don't realize what it takes to put on an event, and in short notice, how much bull$hit ya gotta listen to and there is ALWAYS someone who knows more that you and what your doing. Ask anyone who puts on an event, whether it's a race or poker run... so in closing all I gotta say is We, "OPA" called them, to help put on a race for "You".

You got it Augie.

Anything we can do to help you, or the LOTO group, out? Just let us know. We do have a very good group of members there, plus all of the rest of us who would do what we can to help.

See you in Harrison and St Clair???? Or maybe Detroit tomorrow?????

FunHome
07-14-2010, 01:09 PM
LOTO is AWESOME!! You guys will love it!! I hope it all works out!