PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to lift the engine out????

Monaco20
11-28-2008, 06:22 PM
Do I need to lift the engine out to change to performance exhaust system ex Gill/Hardin or Revolution Performance exhaust???

I have a 242 SS 1988 with a 1997 454 330 hp stock exhaust

What is the best choice of performance exhaust system?

CP Performance Gill/Hardin system us 1999,- incl. full instalation pack. Should increase aprox 20 Hp and better torque. (Claimed by seller)

or

Revolution Marine Offshore performance exhaust us 1500,- include full instalation pack. Should increase aprox 30 -35 hp
Claimed by seller)

Innputs, oppiniones are appreciated

Airpacker
11-28-2008, 07:06 PM
Hard to say if you need to lift the engine by that pic. Are the manifold bolts above the floor cut out or below the edge? Expect a few of the manifold bolts to give you headaches. If you have the facilities, pullin it should only take you and hour, two tops if its your first time. Replacing the manifolds would definately be easier with the engine out if those bolts are below the floor cut out.

MOBILEMERCMAN
11-28-2008, 08:01 PM
If the manifolds bolts come out leave it in.

Monaco20
11-28-2008, 08:22 PM
If the manifolds bolts come out leave it in.

Thanks for your reply

Well I hope they will, can not say I want to lift it out.

What do you think about the performance exhaust on this engine?

Any thing to gain or only bling effect??

Regards from

Oslo Norway

Monaco20
11-28-2008, 08:27 PM
Hard to say if you need to lift the engine by that pic. Are the manifold bolts above the floor cut out or below the edge? Expect a few of the manifold bolts to give you headaches. If you have the facilities, pullin it should only take you and hour, two tops if its your first time. Replacing the manifolds would definately be easier with the engine out if those bolts are below the floor cut out.

Thanks for the reply

I am far from a mecanic guy, only thing I have done so far is to rebuilt
deinstall and reinstall the combined water and fuel pump, And rebuilt the
water pump. Also taken of the risers and changed exhaust hoses. So my
expierience are vary limited.

I think what ever I do nat have to do I should leave or let other people
fix. he he

C_Spray
11-29-2008, 02:12 PM
What do you think about the performance exhaust on this engine? Any thing to gain or only bling effect??

Regards from Oslo Norway I doubt if you will see the gains claimed. Exhaust performance gains usually come from less restriction. The more horsepower you make, the more important low-restriction exhausts become. 330 hp is not a lot for the stock manifolds. Putting the manifolds on will, however, give you the ability to add future upgrades like a more agressive cam, cylinder heads and intake.