PDA

View Full Version : Major or Minor Damage

dono
06-20-2010, 05:52 PM
I've noticed a lot of water in my bilge this season, thought I had a bad bellow but couldnt see water seeping. Left the boat in the water overnight and had water almost up to my tail pipes the next day, (automatic bilge switch was stuck, now corrected). I started checking my hull out friday and found two small holes. It appears when my interior was reinstalled someone used to long of screws. I pulled the screws and they are all short, other than that I can't think of anything that would do this as it appear the damage started from inside the hull. Just trying to figure out my best course of action, will the shop if responsible pay to have it fixed right. How expensive; should I file an insurance claim? Several days of down time or out for the season for drying, or do a patch and tear down this winter. Could the stringers possibly not be wet? The damage is in two spots about 1.5 inches from the hull about 6 inches apart right below where the bolsters mount. Photos are attached.

http://community.webshots.com/album/577986957BAhBqU

Ratickle
06-20-2010, 05:55 PM
Are there screw holes, with interior screws, directly above the hull holes? If so, I'd suspect they were caused by long screws, noticed, then replaced with shorter screws.

As for long term damage, one of the tech gurus would have to say.

CRC
06-20-2010, 07:18 PM
Looks like you hit debris in the water ;). Insurance will cover that.............

BUIZILLA
06-20-2010, 07:39 PM
IMO, I would just get a good glass guy to repair the holes properly and not worry about it

POWERPLAY33
06-20-2010, 08:40 PM
Whatever you do don't make a claim!!!

Donskihp
06-20-2010, 08:43 PM
Ratickle has a point. Pull a couple of the screws out and push a thin wire through the hole and see if it lines up with the floor and hull holes. If they line up, it would be awful hard to deni that the shop did the damage. If they did it, they need to take responsibility! If water got almost to the exhaust pipes, that means your engine was sitting in water. I hope it was fresh water. I'd go after that shop, they need to pay!

phragle
06-20-2010, 08:48 PM
if it soaked, leaked that much water thru those little holes, what happened to the coring? you did not put the holes in the boat, they did, their job to fix to your satifaction PERIOD.

dono
06-20-2010, 11:43 PM
That's what I'm wondering on the core. Maybe Joe or PePe will add their two cents. Does anyone have photos of what the area looks like with the flooring out. Hopefully I can get it up and running by the weekend.

JO - PANTERABOAT
06-21-2010, 10:23 AM
IMO, I would just get a good glass guy to repair the holes properly and not worry about it

As I told you over the ph there is NO coring on the bottom, only strong fiberglass laminates.

Easy to repair from the outside, it is not a big job so I would fix it and move on and leave the insurance for something mayor!
later,
pp.

dono
06-21-2010, 01:06 PM
Thanks, PePe