PDA

View Full Version : Removing grease from rims?

Buoy
06-20-2010, 03:14 PM
I want to clean up the rims on my trailer. They are nothing fancy, just look like stock wheels that need at least a hub-cap, but I want to paint them black to clean them up, and then paint the spindle/bearing housing lime green (Pantera) and I think it will go with the look I'm working towards on my rig (Old school).

There is still a build up of grease on the rims from years of use that I need to get cleaned off.
Last winter (before moving out to the desert) I had a buddy pull all the spindles and re-do all the bearings. While the wheels were off, I took them to a do-it-yourself carwash and started pressure washing them in ~20 degree temps. I succeeded in giving myself a slight frostbite on my hands, and ruining a pair of jeans and a sweatshirt (which I promptly stripped down naked and threw away in the garage as soon as I got back home).
I had new tires put on, and rolled the rig out west.

What are the suggestions to get the rest of the grease off, and get the rims ready for paint? Oven cleaner? de-greaser??
I just don't want a huge mess.

MOBILEMERCMAN
06-20-2010, 05:08 PM
Spay Nine makes a degreaser called Grez-OFF.. It has been my favorite for years. You can always use acetone or MEK too.

poncho
06-20-2010, 06:24 PM
I used an SOS pad on my 93 C4 wheels. I'm sanding them before paint anyway. Despite mentioning hubcaps. You could paint them in the same color as these instructions. Use the same on my factory Porsche rims! Came out sweet.

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/ext43.shtml

Buoy
06-20-2010, 08:11 PM
Not going to use hubcaps - just used that as a description of the type of wheels/rims.
When complete, this will look very rat rod-ish.

Thanks for the suggestions on the de-greaser.

Flat Rate
06-20-2010, 09:54 PM
i spray my wheels down with brake cleaner and wipe the grease off

poncho
06-20-2010, 10:56 PM
Gotcha. The Wurth paint comes in several colors. Did the black centers of a friends 911SC. Pretty much everyones product will clean the grease off. Id use some paint thinner and tacky cloth before paint. Example of black SC with Fuchs rims:

http://www.puffofsmokeracing.com/Cars/porsche/history/images/911/1980_911SC.jpg

Buoy
06-20-2010, 11:03 PM
Gotcha. The Wurth paint comes in several colors. Did the black centers of a friends 911SC. Pretty much everyones product will clean the grease off. Id use some paint thinner and tacky cloth before paint. Example of black SC with Fuchs rims:

http://www.puffofsmokeracing.com/Cars/porsche/history/images/911/1980_911SC.jpg

That's very similar to the look I'm going for, at least color-wise with the black.
Gonna paint the hubs the Lime green, and then just old stock rat-rod rims in gloss black, and need some new shiny lug bolts ( already found those for $20 for all four tires).
I was just looking for suggestions to remove the grease and do the prep work before paint.
I know painting is the easy part, prep is where all the work is.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Buoy
06-20-2010, 11:06 PM
i spray my wheels down with brake cleaner and wipe the grease off

I wish it were that easy...
I have YEARS of grease and road grime from previous owners.
I'd like to just sandblast them, but that would contaminate the sandblast chamber - they are so gunked up.

MOBILEMERCMAN
06-20-2010, 11:16 PM
Start with a plastic putty knife.

You will not be disappointed with Grez OFF..It even says it is ok to use before painting.

http://www.spraynine.com/index.php?cPath=60&name=Cleaners%2FDegreasers

MILD THUNDER
06-21-2010, 10:59 AM
Go somewhere where the have a HOT pressure washer. I'd start there. Get as much as you can off with heat. That will loosen alot of it. Then get some "goop" hand cleaner. Spread it all over the wheels, let it sit a couple minutes, put some more on, scrub with bristle brush, rinse, and do again.

Buoy
06-21-2010, 08:45 PM
Go somewhere where the have a HOT pressure washer. I'd start there. Get as much as you can off with heat. That will loosen alot of it. Then get some "goop" hand cleaner. Spread it all over the wheels, let it sit a couple minutes, put some more on, scrub with bristle brush, rinse, and do again.

I did use a hot pressure washer last time, it was just cold outside.
It just blew the grease into tiny projectiles flying everywhere and sticking to whatever they came into contact with (mainly me)...:rolleyes:

sledge
06-22-2010, 01:45 PM
Degreaser & plastic scraper(s) over a large plastic tub (HD sells black tubs near concrete supplies for $6). HD also sells their ZEP brand degreasers which ought to work good once you get the thick stuff off. Buy a gallon and a spray bottle.

Start with the scraper; you're just going to have to scrape it by hand first. Think ahead and be nice and consider putting it in a container that you can take to a hazardous waste disposal; down here we have a free county place, if nothing else see if local auto parts will take it. The car washes aren't usually set up to handle that stuff.

monkfunk
06-22-2010, 10:04 PM
Tim,
I use that Purple Power from the autoparts or K mart but if they are that bad use Oven Cleaner if your gonna re-paint. Spray it on and pressure wash it off. You can also use a hard bristle brush before you rinse after you soak the oven cleaner. Watch you dont get any on the boat.
Oh and Happy Birthday!!
Mark

Buoy
06-23-2010, 09:34 PM
Tim,
I use that Purple Power from the autoparts or K mart but if they are that bad use Oven Cleaner if your gonna re-paint. Spray it on and pressure wash it off. You can also use a hard bristle brush before you rinse after you soak the oven cleaner. Watch you dont get any on the boat.
Oh and Happy Birthday!!
Mark

Thanks Mark.

Yeah, I was hoping to find something that will just eat this stuff off with a minimal amount of scrubbing.
I've got the wheels off the trailer, and the trailer is up on blocks (with the boat on it).

Tony
06-29-2010, 05:46 PM
If you can find it use Zep industrial Orange Gel degreaser. You should be able to find a local sales rep and just call them. Its expensive, but its worth it. I've used everything mentioned so far in this thread and none of them come close to the OGD. Just be carefull what surfaces you use it on. Rims will be fine. In fact, Im getting ready to fog my entire bilge with it here in about an hour.

monkfunk
06-29-2010, 06:17 PM
Tony ,, That Zep Orange is the Chit !!!!! Works amaizing but hard to find unless your a repair garage with a sales rep.

Tony
06-29-2010, 09:07 PM
Their sales reps will generally sell to anyone who is willing to buy a case of anything they sell. Like I said its pricey but once you use it you'll never go back to another cleaner again.

insanity
06-30-2010, 12:55 AM
Lacquer Thinner soaked rags should clean them right up.