PDA

View Full Version : 1972 donzi x18

eriecoastmarine
06-20-2010, 10:57 AM
just picked up my newest addition! 72 donzi x 18 classic. it has a port side helm, waekasau ( i think) 351 windsor, and volvo drive. can anyone help me out with some history of this boat and how many were made as i have only found one other like it for sale, anywhere. any and all help would be appreciated.

poncho
06-20-2010, 02:00 PM
Not much about history or how many. However the X18 and 20 Minx are my two favorite boats of all time. The X18, only seen two for sale in the Pacific Northwest over the last few years. Widen the search can usually find one or two for sale....................... Still kicking myself for not buying one in Oregon a few years back for very little money. So rare but not impossible to find one or two.

Griswald
06-20-2010, 02:41 PM
I saw a '72 18x at the ramp yesterday. The owner had just finished a 2yr resto and it looked awesome. I'll try to grab a pick next time I see it.

poncho
06-20-2010, 06:28 PM
Did find another restored X18 on Portlands Craigs but the ad was deleted. Wonder if the seller got the $15K asking.

Found a sweet 1967 18 though:

http://savannah.craigslist.org/boa/1795218021.html

Only one below 1983 I can find using classified search tools.

BUIZILLA
06-20-2010, 06:38 PM
just picked up my newest addition! 72 donzi x 18 classic. it has a port side helm, waekasau ( i think) 351 windsor, and volvo drive. can anyone help me out with some history of this boat and how many were made as i have only found one other like it for sale, anywhere. any and all help would be appreciated.

hello... I am a co-founder of the Donzi Marine Restoration Society

you can find us here > www.donzi.org

the X18 is a cool boat

there is NOTHING you won't be able to find if it concerns Classic Donzi's

I have had a 18 LE, Minx LE and still have a Criterion 22 now

poncho
06-20-2010, 07:30 PM
hello... I am a co-founder of the Donzi Marine Restoration Society

you can find us here > www.donzi.org

the X18 is a cool boat

there is NOTHING you won't be able to find if it concerns Classic Donzi's

I have had a 18 LE, Minx LE and still have a Criterion 22 now

So you can answer OP on his questions. Just how rare are X18's? Thanks for reminding of the criterion's. All I know is before I die want at least one Minx, X18 and maybe a crit in the future.

BUIZILLA
06-20-2010, 07:48 PM
I'm positive I can get some answers for him... being a 72 there probably isn't a HIN on the transom, if there is I can run it down easier, if there isn't I need the engine and drive numbers and I can get it chased from there, I know there is a VERY complete library as part of the DMRS, so some history is out there. What is the color combo?

eriecoastmarine
06-20-2010, 10:31 PM
color is all blue, even bottom. it has front and rear bench seats. loks factory but i cant find one like that anywhere. im in ohio so to transfer title i had to get an ohio 12 digit hin. so it is not a donzi hull#.i can get the engine and drive #s tomorrow and post them.... IT IS GOING TO BE FOR SALE IF THERE ARE ANY INTERESTED PARTIES !!!!

mattyboy
06-21-2010, 08:53 AM
They did put some waukesha motors in from the factory but in 72 there was more and more chevy 300 hp chris craft volvo combos being seen.and by that time the holman moody were fading out

I have a waukesha replacement motor in my boat the serial number in 1972 should start with 04 something

check the volvo drive on the top by the dipstick for the drive oil there should be a serial number tag in 1972 it would have been a volvo 270 and have a serial number starting 27

with that info will help

to my knowledge there were no front benches but 2 buckets seat the seats in the x 18 were different from any other buckets used on any other classics they were like a molded corvette type bucket but that could have been done by the old owner

aprox 170 x 18 were produced

pics would help

an all dark blue boat with a white deck stripe? does it have a waterline stripe?? I have some info on the waukesha if it was a 351w it was a 255hp motor

Matty Veth

Lake George Donzi Classic Club

eriecoastmarine
06-21-2010, 05:46 PM
ok heres the info!!! boat hull is all blue, has a white waterlin stripe. the deck is all white with a blue stripe down the middle. drive serial # is 2741609d. at least i think its a d at the end kinda hard to tell. the engine serial # is wld-vs-l16-04192 0r 02 at the end kinda hard totell as tag is somewhat corroded. it is a ford 351, that i know. to me the front seat looks original, but i guess it could have been added. the boat is in overall good condition. i buffed it out over the weekend and it looks pretty good... i dont know how to post pics but i can take some and email them to someone if they knew how to post them...id really like to know if the front bench is factory or not. thanks for everyone help....

poncho
06-21-2010, 05:51 PM
Only 170 produced. Rarer then I thought.

My best friends in elementary school, we ended up at summer camp in 1982 maybe 3. We ended up buying a cottage near the lake the place was at. Sold our cabin cruiser and got into water skiing.

Our neighbors had an X18, then Miami Vice came out 84'. Same people bought a new Minx. Wanted either model since. First performance small boats besides ski boats I was into. We had an 1980 Mastercraft red stars and stripes.

I got into jets and v-drives, those with the boys I went camping with was all we talked about--glass ski water, no wakes and rooster tails, etcetera. Last five years or so been buying them and end up reselling them fast. Get guys who grew up in the seventies and eighties come up at launch ramp or a gas station. They go into the glory days, vacations, going to some river or lake and how these boats had been so cool, back in the day. They'll ask whats it worth. Give them a reasonable price and 9 times out of 10 they can swing, I become boat less.

Hold onto her enjoy over the season or two then sell. 1970's and even 1980's fiberglass boats are becoming collectible. Kinda like how muscle cars.

eriecoastmarine
06-21-2010, 08:13 PM
i would love to but i have a 27 magnum sport that im in the process of restoring and the sale of this donzi will fund the project, or at least some of it!!!! i will get it on the water and run it though!!!!!!

mattyboy
06-21-2010, 08:46 PM
email pics to mnmveth@optonline.net and i post them up for you

i would say it is the original motor but not the original drive the serial number that ends with a D would be a 4 cyl ratio but that could also mean the upper went and the lower was ok in the aq series volvo the uppers are all the same , the lower is where the ratio is set

i would look on the back of the dash and up by the bow eye backing plate for a hull number also look on both sides of the back seat area for a foil tag with the hull number if it is a 72 and has no HIN stamped on the transom it was produced before Nov of 72

Matty Veth
www.lgdonziclassic.com

Madpoodle
06-21-2010, 08:59 PM
Judging by the drive S/N it looks to be built late 72, early 73.. Is there a HIN on the registration? You can look under the deck lip stbd. side, my X is stamped there not on the transom...

poncho
06-21-2010, 09:20 PM
my X ...

Very sweet. I wish Donzi used the same deck on all the Classics.

Madpoodle
06-21-2010, 11:26 PM
LOL, I'm glad they don't :) :)

eriecoastmarine
06-22-2010, 01:57 PM
They did put some waukesha motors in from the factory but in 72 there was more and more chevy 300 hp chris craft volvo combos being seen.and by that time the holman moody were fading out

I have a waukesha replacement motor in my boat the serial number in 1972 should start with 04 something

check the volvo drive on the top by the dipstick for the drive oil there should be a serial number tag in 1972 it would have been a volvo 270 and have a serial number starting 27

with that info will help

to my knowledge there were no front benches but 2 buckets seat the seats in the x 18 were different from any other buckets used on any other classics they were like a molded corvette type bucket but that could have been done by the old owner

aprox 170 x 18 were produced

pics would help

an all dark blue boat with a white deck stripe? does it have a waterline stripe?? I have some info on the waukesha if it was a 351w it was a 255hp motor

Matty Veth

i need a drive for it. you stated that its a 270. would a 280 work or is that a different ratio? thanks for the help...

mattyboy
06-22-2010, 07:15 PM
i need a drive for it. you stated that its a 270. would a 280 work or is that a different ratio? thanks for the help...

an early 280 without trim might bolt up to the 270 transom housing , but you should be able to find a replacement 270 fairly in expensive .

you would be looking for a 270B 1.6 ratio

what is wrong with the drive you have you can find uppers and lowers on ebay pretty easy

eriecoastmarine
06-22-2010, 07:45 PM
the lower has a cracked case, the original upper didnt come witht hte boat and the upper i have is somewhat siezed up i could probably free it up but it wouldnt last long. also i will be sending you some pics soon. please let me know what you think about the front bench seat.

mattyboy
06-23-2010, 05:58 AM
you can find replacement parts or full drives on ebay just make sure they are
a v8 ratio 1.6 or 1.3 but the 1.3 are hard to find

here's the boat , benchseat looks like it was after market to me but still done well to match the back seat, who knows the factory back then every once and a while did some special things.

nice boat good luck with the sale

Bobcat
06-23-2010, 07:13 AM
color is all blue, even bottom. it has front and rear bench seats. loks factory but i cant find one like that anywhere. im in ohio so to transfer title i had to get an ohio 12 digit hin. so it is not a donzi hull#.i can get the engine and drive #s tomorrow and post them.... IT IS GOING TO BE FOR SALE IF THERE ARE ANY INTERESTED PARTIES !!!!

Our classifieds are free, so when and if you decide to sell please put it in the classifieds.

Madpoodle
06-23-2010, 10:24 PM
Interior replaced somewhere along the line. Is the front benchseat sitting on the original bucket seat pedestals?

eriecoastmarine
06-25-2010, 05:22 PM
no pedestals, no holes in the deck where the pedestals would have been. i think that it was done at the factory as a special option maybe? it definitly looks factory quality.

Madpoodle
06-25-2010, 07:42 PM
Interesting.. Does the registration show a hull #?

Madpoodle
06-25-2010, 07:43 PM
And can we get some more pics of the front bench please??

eriecoastmarine
06-25-2010, 10:55 PM
hull number is not original. here in ohio there has to be a12 digit hull # to transfer title so it has a hin # that starts in ohz. i can take some mor pics but i dont know how post

Bobcat
06-26-2010, 07:43 PM
Thanks for listing that Jason.

eriecoastmarine
06-27-2010, 10:18 AM
Thanks for listing that Jason.

no problem. i would really like to trade it for a nice diesel dually but would consider a cash offer as well, and of course the asking price is for trade value.

cig 20
01-05-2011, 12:55 AM
my 1973 original x18
forsale will list this week

ratabastardahole
07-30-2013, 11:13 PM
my 1973 original x18
forsale will list this week

what are you asking for it? what is in it for power? where are you located? thx, rm