PDA

View Full Version : Pantera 24 transom replacement

rchevelle71
02-14-2010, 12:20 AM
Got a little of the derigging done today, more tomorrow

Buoy
02-14-2010, 12:27 AM
why is it that every Pantera owner I know constantly has a project going on with their boat??
This has nothing to do with the build of the boat, I think it just has to do with what kind of guy buys one of these boats. I guess it takes a special breed.

Can't wait to see more Rick.

rchevelle71
02-14-2010, 12:29 AM
Originally I planned on storing the motor with the lower unit on, but these damn 1 car garages are so small, had to re-engineer a bit:sifone: Last pic. is all my junk tucked neatly back into the little garage(if you look close there is a motor in there somewhere):ack2:

rchevelle71
02-14-2010, 12:31 AM
why is it that every Pantera owner I know constantly has a project going on with their boat??
This has nothing to do with the build of the boat, I think it just has to do with what kind of guy buys one of these boats. I guess it takes a special breed.

Can't wait to see more Rick.

You know it pal,

we know the best, and strive to make it better:driving:

I will document the whole thing, and post pics as I go, will probably be a slow process due to $$ restraints, but it will be done, and done right:cheers2:

Buoy
02-14-2010, 01:21 AM
I will document the whole thing, and post pics as I go, will probably be a slow process due to $$ restraints, but it will be done, and done right:cheers2:
I'm a little over two years into my project, and I have been fighting the same constraints... Time, $$, and the fact I moved myself, and my project/shop 1800mi away...:ack2:
I'm waiting for Pepe to call me and say that he wants to bring one of his old hulls back to glory and do a TV show AKA the Chip Foose show on speed channel.:)
Hehe, I'll get it done, but, the day I brought it home, I expected to go boating, it's been two years, and it still has been high-n-dry.

rchevelle71
02-14-2010, 01:42 AM
I'm a little over two years into my project, and I have been fighting the same constraints... Time, $$, and the fact I moved myself, and my project/shop 1800mi away...:ack2:
I'm waiting for Pepe to call me and say that he wants to bring one of his old hulls back to glory and do a TV show AKA the Chip Foose show on speed channel.:)
Hehe, I'll get it done, but, the day I brought it home, I expected to go boating, it's been two years, and it still has been high-n-dry.

4 years of sweat into mine, but 2+ years of unbelievable boating, the hull has never let me down, just the motors, should have done the transom up front.

Offshore Ginger
02-14-2010, 03:42 PM
4 years of sweat into mine, but 2+ years of unbelievable boating, the hull has never let me down, just the motors, should have done the transom up front. Saw this thread on scream & fly and when do you plan on doing some hacking and slashing ?

Bobcat
02-14-2010, 06:36 PM
good stuff Rick, keep em coming.:)

Xray50
02-14-2010, 07:03 PM
Cool Rick. You should have let me know I would have helped you.

JnT
02-14-2010, 09:17 PM
Might as well add a bracket for twins now Rick! :)

F1-00 Racing
02-14-2010, 10:29 PM
Rick,

If you need a hand or someone to bring you some beer, I'll be floating around the area next weekend with Dev.

TC

rchevelle71
02-15-2010, 09:22 AM
Got the Aluminum plate off yesterday, it was fun to say the least, and yes, the transom is mush, but I think the glass is actually in pretty good shape under all that sealer.:eek:

rchevelle71
02-15-2010, 09:23 AM
Saw this thread on scream & fly and when do you plan on doing some hacking and slashing ?

Got it ready to cut into now, maybe next weekend I will get the splashwell out, and start digging out the rot.

rchevelle71
02-15-2010, 09:25 AM
Cool Rick. You should have let me know I would have helped you.

Actually, I was thinking of stopping by your place yesterday, havent heard from you in while, but got too busy, there were some hidden screws in that plate, took me a few hours to pry it off. Stop by next weekend if you get a chance, I'll be hacking it up some more:cheers2:

rchevelle71
02-15-2010, 09:28 AM
Might as well add a bracket for twins now Rick! :)

Jim,

Bracket yes, twins no:( I would love to go with twins, but just dont have the $$ for opti's, and these EFI's are thirsty. I hope to have it all buttoned up by late June, we usually get our yearly bonuses in early July, and if we get one this year with this economy, it will get the bracket, if not, just the jackplate back on, cuz those brackets are some coin also:driving:

Rick

rchevelle71
02-15-2010, 09:29 AM
Rick,

If you need a hand or someone to bring you some beer, I'll be floating around the area next weekend with Dev.

TC

Trent,

You and Devon stop by for a cold one or 12, maybe I'll put y'all to work, or we can just sit around and drink and look at it:sifone:

Rick

bigboat28
02-15-2010, 12:34 PM
Rick, does this mean you decided to go ahead with the whole project?

rchevelle71
02-15-2010, 12:40 PM
Rick, does this mean you decided to go ahead with the whole project?

YUP:sifone: its only time and money, Time I have, my wife stole all the money:cuss:

bigboat28
02-15-2010, 01:19 PM
I know the feeling.

rchevelle71
02-15-2010, 03:03 PM
I know the feeling.

Well ya know how it goes,

Whats hers is hers, and whats mine is hers, fortunately she doesnt want the boat.:bump:

bigboat28
02-15-2010, 03:10 PM
That is exectly what she tells me.LOL

rchevelle71
02-17-2010, 09:54 PM
I know you said you don't want twins but just saw this. http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/boa/1599353261.html

Nice find, twins are out of the question right now, plus the Pantera is narrow, that is 6.9 feet wide, I would have to measure to be sure, but I think its too wide.

Buoy
02-17-2010, 10:02 PM
Nice find, twins are out of the question right now, plus the Pantera is narrow, that is 6.9 feet wide, I would have to measure to be sure, but I think its too wide.

Oh, come'on...
Your coming this far...
A little modification...
You have the opportunity to turn a relatively good sized project into something HUGE!!!:sifone:
All the COOL Pantera owners do it:eek::sifone:

Perlmudder
02-17-2010, 10:29 PM
You have the opportunity to turn a relatively good sized project into something HUGE!!!:sifone:

:sifone:

JFM
02-17-2010, 10:37 PM
There is a single on the other site in the swap shop. I am still waiting to here back from the guy on it.

rchevelle71
02-17-2010, 11:01 PM
There is a single on the other site in the swap shop. I am still waiting to here back from the guy on it.

Yup, me too, I thought he advertised he had two?

rchevelle71
02-17-2010, 11:03 PM
Oh, come'on...
Your coming this far...
A little modification...

Like I said, if I had the $$ I would, but since I dont, I will run it at 60 for now:driving:

Buoy
02-18-2010, 12:07 AM
Like I said, if I had the $$ I would, but since I dont, I will run it at 60 for now:driving:

I HAD the money when I started my project, but life and Democrats slowed my project down.
Making a house payment on a house you haven't seen in a year (and just want to go away) has a way of cutting into the budget...

But, if you're going to do it...
You can put the bracket on, hang the single, and hold out for a deal on a pair.

thedonz
02-18-2010, 12:55 AM
I HAD the money when I started my project, but life and Democrats slowed my project down.
Making a house payment on a house you haven't seen in a year (and just want to go away) has a way of cutting into the budget...

now that is what I'm thinking.............

Buoy
02-18-2010, 12:58 AM

:cheers2:
I see that you and I think alike!

LittleDcsRodShop
02-18-2010, 01:08 AM
""I HAD the money when I started my project""

Now theres something thats familiar to me !! Why am I not surprised ?? haha..

Keep trucking rik !!!

Buoy
02-18-2010, 01:18 AM
""I HAD the money when I started my project""

Now theres something thats familiar to me !! Why am I not surprised ?? haha..

Keep trucking rik !!!

Is that just the curse of us old school lovers??

Rick - we have already created a support group for this sickness, even the Saber guy stops by.:eek::sifone:

LittleDcsRodShop
02-18-2010, 01:39 AM

Rick - we have already created a support group for this sickness, even the Saber guy stops by.:eek::sifone:

What can I say we are a unique breed...

My adrinaline is flowing old school cool tonight !!

rchevelle71
02-18-2010, 08:59 AM
I

It is not just the motor, if that were the case, I would just run back down to the 305 and pick up another cheap 250EFI, there is one on the side of every house in Hialeah, and most are on craigslist. On top of the motor, its redoing the entire dash for twin gages, twin throttles, wiring, plumbing, steering etc. adding a $3500 motor would cost $10,000 to get me 7-10 mph, and have twice the fuel consumption. It would look cool as hell though:driving: If I get my transom project going fast enough, I may reconfigure the deck, move the back seat back, and repaint the boat though:sifone: What do you guys think of me replacing the purple with metallic silver, then put back on the purple accents?? Maybe some new interior next year, Silver carbon vinyl??

rchevelle71
02-18-2010, 09:18 AM

If you guys want to donate the motor and rigging I am game:sifone:

rchevelle71
02-18-2010, 09:20 AM

Thank you for your support, people think I am crazy for all the time and $$ that gets dumped into this thing, its an addiction. Bottom line is, its fun to do things to it that I WANT to do, not things I HAVE to do:cheers2:

Caincando1
02-18-2010, 11:50 AM
Moving the back seat back would be a nice adition to the boat!

rchevelle71
02-18-2010, 01:39 PM
Moving the back seat back would be a nice adition to the boat!

Seeing as there is only room for a cooler back there now, although it IS a big cooler:cheers2: I was at peanut Island one day rafted up to a 25 warlock, and 32 Skater, and I seemed to be the supply boat, was kinda funny, smallest boat threw the anchor, supplied towels, noodles, and drinks to others:sifone:

Caincando1
02-18-2010, 04:23 PM
Seeing as there is only room for a cooler back there now, although it IS a big cooler:cheers2: I was at peanut Island one day rafted up to a 25 warlock, and 32 Skater, and I seemed to be the supply boat, was kinda funny, smallest boat threw the anchor, supplied towels, noodles, and drinks to others:sifone:

Bigger back seat = bigger cooler :cheers2:

rchevelle71
02-19-2010, 08:53 AM
Rick
Now you know why we bring you along..LOl..LOL..LOL I'm just playing. Hey I got the new shop and manufacturing plant open, give me a call if you need anything.
Paul

Paul,

I was wondering where you have been, figured that might dig you out from the trenches:cheers2:

I didnt realize you were moving again, where the heck are you now? I stopped by a few weeks back, and the guys said you were out returning your moms car or something. I'll be trying to get this thing done early summer, so we can take advantage of those flat days again this year:driving: I'll give you a call, I think I got this thing handled, but you never know when something might come up.

Keep in mind, call me if you need anything also, manufacturing is what I have been doing for the last 20 years, not sure what scale you are on, but I have been with 3 different Medical device companies over those years from the early stages on up to where we are now, in 5 countries, somewhere around 300 machines running 24 hours a day:eek: I am just a small part in this big world, and master of nothing, but if you need any advice or anything, I have been around most of it.

Rick

Rick

OneBadInjun
02-19-2010, 11:24 AM
Rick, how will you be templating for the new transom material?

rchevelle71
02-19-2010, 11:29 AM
Rick, how will you be templating for the new transom material?

Not sure yet, Between the 2 layers of old 3/4 inch plywood, there is what seems to be like 1/8 inch thick of glass. If I can get that out clean, I will use that. If not, I will make a carboard template, transfer that to a piece of 1/4" regular plywood that is cut slightly oversize, then trim the template to fit. Then transfer that template to the 1/2" marine ply.

insanity
02-19-2010, 06:41 PM
I cut some 2x4's down into strips and used that to use as a template. One reason is it was more sturdy than cardboard. The other, was that then my template was as thick as what my transom was going to be with two sheets of 3/4" ply.

rchevelle71
02-20-2010, 02:02 AM
I cut some 2x4's down into strips and used that to use as a template. One reason is it was more sturdy than cardboard. The other, was that then my template was as thick as what my transom was going to be with two sheets of 3/4" ply.

I guess that would work, how did you secure them to each other, I'm not picturing it??? The cardboard is just to get me started. That will then be transferred to a sheet of 1/4" ply, cut slightly oversize, and custom fit, and the ply will be used as the template. I'll be out digging at it this weekend, watch for more pics sunday:sifone:

Buoy
02-20-2010, 02:16 AM
I guess that would work, how did you secure them to each other, I'm not picturing it??? The cardboard is just to get me started. That will then be transferred to a sheet of 1/4" ply, cut slightly oversize, and custom fit, and the ply will be used as the template. I'll be out digging at it this weekend, watch for more pics sunday:sifone:

Wow, so Sunday night we get the dirty nasty pictures of her all stripped down and naked!!!:sifone::sifone:

OneBadInjun
02-20-2010, 02:44 PM
I guess that would work, how did you secure them to each other, I'm not picturing it??? The cardboard is just to get me started. That will then be transferred to a sheet of 1/4" ply, cut slightly oversize, and custom fit, and the ply will be used as the template. I'll be out digging at it this weekend, watch for more pics sunday:sifone:Don't waste your time with the cardboard & the 1/4" plywood. Here's a little trick I learned in Nam. Go buy yourself a sheet(or two) of doorskin at Homo Depot. Rip it into 2" wide strips on a table saw, lengthwise. Using a hot glue gun, lay the strips up against your hullsides, inside transom bottom, etc., and glue them together as you go. Just break the strips over your knee, to the approximate length of each section you need. This method gives you an accurate, and fast template, to trace onto your two sheets of 3/4" ply. What bedding compound, into the transom, will you be going with?

insanity
02-20-2010, 03:45 PM

Screws and a staple gun. The main pieces I ripped into about 3/4" wide. Then some 3/8" wide strips to use in the corners for holding things together. I still have it, I'll take a pic of it today.

OneBadInjun's idea is pretty good, I'd just be worried I would smack it on the hull-side dragging it out and have to start all over...

rchevelle71
02-20-2010, 11:25 PM
Got the old sealer off the transom today, and started the cutting.

rchevelle71
02-20-2010, 11:29 PM
Got all of the cuts made, now I need to go inside, and split where the deck is bonded to the hull.

rchevelle71
02-21-2010, 08:46 PM
Got the deck split, and the transom is definite mush:eek: Got some of the mush removed, will finish up the removal next weekend.

Buoy
02-21-2010, 11:29 PM
Yeah, it needed done.:ack2:
What kind of condition are the ends of those stringers?
Let the fun begin!:eek:

J-Bonz
02-22-2010, 12:11 AM
Got the deck split, and the transom is definite mush:eek: Got some of the mush removed, will finish up the removal next weekend.

WOW, I know how that feels to be at that stage... Its looking good.
As for templates, I did arts & craft time. Some poster board, Strips of card board, and a hot glug gun.. It worked great. I started with the wood strips but quickly jumped over to the poster board..

rchevelle71
02-22-2010, 08:48 AM
Yeah, it needed done.:ack2:
What kind of condition are the ends of those stringers?
Let the fun begin!:eek:

Yup,

probably getting stringers too:rolleyes:, I was planning on putting knees in anyway, so I'll just replace the stringers up to the fuel tank area, its just wood, glass and time:ack2:

rchevelle71
02-22-2010, 08:49 AM
WOW, I know how that feels to be at that stage... Its looking good.
As for templates, I did arts & craft time. Some poster board, Strips of card board, and a hot glug gun.. It worked great. I started with the wood strips but quickly jumped over to the poster board..

Good idea,

I'll give it a shot.

rchevelle71
02-28-2010, 10:16 PM
Got busy today, and got the wood out, counted 48 holes that were doweled up from previous owners efforts:rolleyes: Also, the first layer of wood(closest to the outside) was seamed at an angle, not sure if this was original, or someone elses attempt at a transom(although I did one years ago like that on a 15 foot checkmate, and was told thats the way to do it from the outside), but with this much work, why would you want to cheap out on the wood:confused:

Perlmudder
03-01-2010, 12:23 AM

you gotta let me know if you are going to peanut island again. The boat I work on is docked in front of the owners house on PGA, so I am only 5 min away by water. I could bring the party barge. it is ugly as sin, but it can hold a lot of beer and people. http://www.hbiboats.com/35photo_gallery.html

Buoy
03-01-2010, 12:31 AM
Congratulations Rik!! You have one helluva a mess on your hands...:ack2:
I feel your pain Bro, can't wait to see the progress pics of her coming back together. One thing you have going for you is that these boats don't die. Ever. They just need some sprucing up now and again.
Keep us posted!

rchevelle71
03-01-2010, 08:51 AM
you gotta let me know if you are going to peanut island again. The boat I work on is docked in front of the owners house on PGA, so I am only 5 min away by water. I could bring the party barge. it is ugly as sin, but it can hold a lot of beer and people. http://www.hbiboats.com/35photo_gallery.html

We will definitely be back, sometime this summer, depends on how carried away I get remodeling this thing:sifone:

slpcamaross97
03-01-2010, 09:55 AM
Are you going to leave it like the stock setup or are you going to run it with flat transom put a bracket on it and run a sun pad?

rchevelle71
03-01-2010, 11:19 AM
Are you going to leave it like the stock setup or are you going to run it with flat transom put a bracket on it and run a sun pad?

I will be closing off the motor well for sure, not sure the extent of how far I am going to take it, depends in time and $$.

Dude! Sweet!
03-01-2010, 11:55 AM
Awsome! Keep up the good work bud!

stormrider
03-01-2010, 03:19 PM
Wow, some project!
Nice to see the old ride being taken care of. :cool:

Love Machine
03-01-2010, 08:32 PM
Rick,

Looks like it's keeping you busy. Can't wait to see it when it's done. Are you going to repower?

By the way, thanks again for getting me into that AMF tour. Their shop is awesome.

Bill

thedonz
03-01-2010, 08:43 PM
If you guys want to donate the motor and rigging I am game:sifone:

give me a call if you need help with the rigging......

rchevelle71
03-01-2010, 10:13 PM
Rick,

Looks like it's keeping you busy. Can't wait to see it when it's done. Are you going to repower?

By the way, thanks again for getting me into that AMF tour. Their shop is awesome.

Bill

Bill,

no repower for now, the stock 250 EFI gets me where I need to be, maybe a 300 down the road. It was nice meeting you, and wish we could have hung out more, but school is school, gotta be responsible. No problem with the AMF tour, the shop is open to everyone, Scott is the one who should be thanked for that.

Rick

rchevelle71
03-01-2010, 10:14 PM
give me a call if you need help with the rigging......

You got it guys, but ya know I try to do all my own tricks, 'til I get stumped:confused:

OneBadInjun
03-03-2010, 08:36 AM
You got it guys, but ya know I try to do all my own tricks, 'til I get stumped:confused:Someone told me you were a gigolo, but I said...Rick?...no way!. Guess I was wrong, lol. :rolleyes:

rchevelle71
03-03-2010, 09:03 AM
Someone told me you were a gigolo, but I said...Rick?...no way!. Guess I was wrong, lol. :rolleyes:

:eek::eek:Guess I didnt read that before I posted it:eek::eek:

rchevelle71
03-08-2010, 09:33 AM
Got the wood in yesterday, here are a few pics.

1, 2 layers of 3/4 glassed together
2, trimmed
3, dry fit

rchevelle71
03-08-2010, 09:34 AM
1, dry-fit 2
2, clamped in
3, clamped in 2

Dude! Sweet!
03-12-2010, 12:14 PM
Man this is down right inspiring! I sure do wish I had a back yard, a flat driveway and the free time to dive in on my 24 like that! I still haven't finished the cabin floor, but I'm going to do the impellors, drive oil and trim pump motor this weekend and start mocking up the ski pole.

Someday I'll dig in and do the complete resto that the boat really wants. Who'd have thought two boats could be such a pain in the ass!? :sifone:

Dude! Sweet!
03-12-2010, 12:19 PM
Oh yah, and I dig the idea of going with the silver/grey. And just out of curiosity, why purple?

rchevelle71
03-12-2010, 12:35 PM
Man this is down right inspiring! I sure do wish I had a back yard, a flat driveway and the free time to dive in on my 24 like that! I still haven't finished the cabin floor, but I'm going to do the impellors, drive oil and trim pump motor this weekend and start mocking up the ski pole.

Someday I'll dig in and do the complete resto that the boat really wants. Who'd have thought two boats could be such a pain in the ass!? :sifone:

Thanks,

I dont have much of a yard though, the boat is kept on the side of the house, this is what we call "zero lot line" in Florida, 16 feet on one side, and ZERO on the other. Those sawhorses arent in the back yard, that is the front:eek: I do have a decent backyard for south FL, but it is mosly covered in patios, and landscaping. I did mine in stages somewhat also, I always knew it needed this work, but after 3 years of work, decided to get it out on the water for a few years before digging back into it. That purple wasnt supposed to be quite that color, the original color was supposed to be a metallic silver with a purple tint, and the boat was to be named "Purple Haze", but the original mix didnt work out, then I only had so much material left, and this is what I ended up with, once it was mixed it kinda just went down, and grew on me for a while:rolleyes:getting tired of it now. Supposed to be a great weekend weatherwise, so look for more updates throughout the weekend, maybe I will take the laptop outside, and post real time:driving:

rchevelle71
03-13-2010, 11:49 PM
Got a little work done today, got the 1708 in, and started to grind the outside to do the fill in tomorrow.

rchevelle71
03-13-2010, 11:55 PM
All cleaned up, I will work on the outside tomorrow, and hopefully have enough time to get back to the inside and get the knees installed:sifone:

Buoy
03-14-2010, 03:30 AM
Rick, I need to ask a question. It looks (at least from the pics) that there are air pockets in the glass to the wood. Looks like you can see where it was rolled out.
Is this OK, or is the pic deceiving? Don't take it the wrong way, I'm not bagging on you at all, just trying to learn.
I did some glass work on the underside of my hatch, and the glass was being really stubborn to conform tightly to the form I was trying to make it take.
I'm not pleased with the outcome, and will likely be grinding and looking at a do-over.
Also, when replacing the transom, how tight should the fit be to the hullsides, and the bottom itself?
I was formerly a trim carpenter, and am used to scribing in pieces the are tight enough to not allow the corner of a piece of paper slip through. I understand that the glass is where the strength is, but what is considered an acceptable gap?
Looks like your bustin' away on the project, keep the pics coming.
Like I said, I only ask because I want to learn.

JO - PANTERABOAT
03-14-2010, 07:18 AM
So far A+ on a job well done!
Is that saw dust filling around the edges of the transom?
If so who told you about it? It must have been an old timer.
Now I use a putty that is called "hull and deck" real tough stuff. Nothing wrong w/ the sawdust, that stuff dries like a rock!!!
Later,
pp.

Dean's Customs
03-14-2010, 09:17 AM
Nice for you to get a pat on the back from The Man, that should make you feel good and keep you inspired!

rchevelle71
03-14-2010, 09:54 AM
The pics are alittle deceiving, the glass is as wet as it would get, kept rolling and rolling. this 1708 is tough stuff to wet out. There are no air pockets, some spots didnt look as wet as I would have liked them, but they were wet, stuck great, and hard as a rock this morning. I lied in the above post, thats not actually done, I have one more layer to add this morning. As far as the fit, it does not have to fit real tight, but should follow the same shape as your hull, so that the gap is consistent. If you put the wood all the way to the edge, there will be no bond on the sides. I went with approx. a 1/4" gap, and filled with the putty Pepe is talking about, there is more high tech things nowadays, but the sawdust putty Pepe had put in mine was the only thing taht survived, so that is what I went back with, mixed with and added some techie stuff for good measure.

Rick

rchevelle71
03-14-2010, 10:03 AM
So far A+ on a job well done!
Is that saw dust filling around the edges of the transom?
If so who told you about it? It must have been an old timer.
Now I use a putty that is called "hull and deck" real tough stuff. Nothing wrong w/ the sawdust, that stuff dries like a rock!!!
Later,
pp.

Thanks Pepe,

The putty is a mix of resin, cabosil, milled fibers, and sawdust. I wasnt going to use the sawdust(due to it being old school), even though I had been saving it up in the garage for years, but when I tore apart the old transom, I could tell what you had used:), and you are right, that stuff gets like cement. I had made a comment in a previous post about seaming the wood on one layer, and I have to apologize, when I talked to my glass guy(a ,ocal we all know), he said this is OK, and normal practice, although I chose o go with solid pieces. When I am done, people arent going to believe it is a Pantera when they see it from the back, since it will be one of a kind.

Rick

rchevelle71
03-14-2010, 10:08 AM
Nice for you to get a pat on the back from The Man, that should make you feel good and keep you inspired!

It does, heading out to do more work now:sifone:

Buoy
03-14-2010, 11:45 AM
The pics are alittle deceiving, the glass is as wet as it would get, kept rolling and rolling. this 1708 is tough stuff to wet out. There are no air pockets, some spots didnt look as wet as I would have liked them, but they were wet, stuck great, and hard as a rock this morning. I lied in the above post, thats not actually done, I have one more layer to add this morning. As far as the fit, it does not have to fit real tight, but should follow the same shape as your hull, so that the gap is consistent. If you put the wood all the way to the edge, there will be no bond on the sides. I went with approx. a 1/4" gap, and filled with the putty Pepe is talking about, there is more high tech things nowadays, but the sawdust putty Pepe had put in mine was the only thing taht survived, so that is what I went back with, mixed with and added some techie stuff for good measure.

Rick

Very cool!
I guess I never thought of the gap for the bonding area. Now that you explain it, it makes sense.
I guess just coming from my carpenter background, I was sort of blinded by what I know, and not thinking in these terms.
Big project Rick, keep plugging along.

rchevelle71
03-16-2010, 09:06 PM
Didnt get the knees in over the weekend, but did get the outside skin started. Had today off from work to get the taxes done, and when I got home from the accountant, threw the deck piece back on to measure for the knees, and new back seat bulkhead.

rchevelle71
03-21-2010, 12:17 AM
Few new pics from today, got the knees cut, and started the install, and added a 3rd piece of 3/4 where the motor will mount spanning the knees. considering adding a 3rd knee on the center stringer, that is just a wedge in there now to hold the plywood while the putty hardens, will finish laying the glass tomorrow.

Buoy
03-21-2010, 01:01 AM
Looking good Rick!
Thanks for providing the pics. It's helping to motivate me.
Now if I just had some time.

DAREDEVIL
03-21-2010, 01:59 AM
Finally u got of your lazy butt !!!!!! LOL :cheers2::sifone::seeya:

DonMan
03-21-2010, 10:30 AM
Rick --- LOOKING GOOD !!!

You`ve always impressed me. When you tackle a project, you do not "F" around.
Looks like excellent work. I would add that 3rd, center knee. Nothing wrong with over-building something.

KEEP THE PICS COMING !

rchevelle71
03-21-2010, 12:46 PM
Looking good Rick!
Thanks for providing the pics. It's helping to motivate me.
Now if I just had some time.

I hear ya, time and $$

rchevelle71
03-21-2010, 12:47 PM
Finally u got of your lazy butt !!!!!! LOL :cheers2::sifone::seeya:

Actually, I have been kinda lazy lately, shoulda done this 3 yeas ago.

rchevelle71
03-21-2010, 12:48 PM
Rick --- LOOKING GOOD !!!

You`ve always impressed me. When you tackle a project, you do not "F" around.
Looks like excellent work. I would add that 3rd, center knee. Nothing wrong with over-building something.

KEEP THE PICS COMING !

Thanks Don, it will be ready for the 300xs, as soon as $$ allows:driving:

bigboat28
03-21-2010, 02:54 PM
Rick, looking very good.

rchevelle71
03-22-2010, 08:50 AM
Didnt accomplish much yesterday, Bit I did manage to get a layer of 1708 on the knees and such, will get them wrapped up next weekend, but gotta get more resin first. Also started the finish work on the transom height extension.

Dude! Sweet!
03-22-2010, 11:46 AM
Nice! I finally got all the tune up stuff done and had my 24 out yesterday (in your honor of course!) Keep up the good work!

Premier Perf
03-22-2010, 02:31 PM
awesome work Rick

Premier Perf
03-22-2010, 02:31 PM
Nice! I finally got all the tune up stuff done and had my 24 out yesterday (in your honor of course!) Keep up the good work!

when you have time send me pics of the 24 in the water...thanks Premierfrc@aol.com

rchevelle71
03-22-2010, 03:53 PM

Yeah, and now your selling it:mad:, Well, at least you have another Pantera:sifone:

rchevelle71
03-22-2010, 03:55 PM
awesome work Rick

Thanks,

I saw your other little boat on Craigslist:eek:

rchevelle71
03-23-2010, 10:53 AM
I like the 24 a lot, just like the 28 better and can't justify two boats I hardly ever use! :D

I agree:driving:

rchevelle71
04-06-2010, 08:13 AM
Havent done much work in the last 2 weeks, but did manage to get all 57 holes patched up, ground out, glassed in, filled with fiberglass reinforced filler, then a coat of 3M premium marine over the whole transom, and sanded off to blend it all.

rchevelle71
04-06-2010, 08:15 AM
Shot a coat of primer on there to see if I could see any imperfections, looked pretty good, so I shot a black guidecoat on, and will sand again this weekend.

DAREDEVIL
04-06-2010, 08:34 AM
Shot a coat of primer on there to see if I could see any imperfections, looked pretty good, so I shot a black guidecoat on, and will sand again this weekend.

Nice JOB ,,RICK !!!!!!!! :cheers2:

OneBadInjun
04-06-2010, 10:06 AM
Look'n good Ricardo. Keep up the good work. Whats with the chair/banana plant photo, lol?

rchevelle71
04-06-2010, 10:44 AM
Look'n good Ricardo. Keep up the good work. Whats with the chair/banana plant photo, lol?

:rolleyes:Actually took that pic. to see how straight it was, you can see the side of the boat, and the flatness of the transom, kinda:sifone:

rchevelle71
04-06-2010, 10:46 AM
Nice JOB ,,RICK !!!!!!!! :cheers2:

Thanks,

Now the real work begins, got a little more work to do on the knees/stringers, then the deck reconfiguration begins:willy_nilly:

MiamiOffshore
04-10-2010, 06:16 PM
Hey Rick sweet job......glad to see the old girl is coming back strong.
If ya need any help let me know.

rchevelle71
04-11-2010, 12:38 AM
Hey Rick sweet job......glad to see the old girl is coming back strong.
If ya need any help let me know.

Whats up Stranger??

For those of you who didnt figure it out(took me a minute:cheers2:) Miami Offshore is Angel, the previous owner of my boat.

I got it covered, kinda, just wanna go boating again:sifone:

DAREDEVIL
04-11-2010, 12:50 AM
Whats up Stranger??

For those of you who didnt figure it out(took me a minute:cheers2:) Miami Offshore is Angel, the previous owner of my boat.

I bet he wants it back once your done..LOL :sifone:

rchevelle71
04-11-2010, 01:45 AM
I bet he wants it back once your done..LOL :sifone:

He wanted it back 2 years ago, I almost sold it to him:eek:

MiamiOffshore
04-11-2010, 06:49 AM
Whats up Stranger??

Well if ya need any help...just give me a shout.
I'm gettin' the Concept ready for the summer...let's see if we can get a few people together and have another run as soon as your's is done.

Angel

old377guy
04-11-2010, 01:30 PM
a great thread and very inspiring work Rick. I just love seeing this kind of stuff come together.

rchevelle71
04-12-2010, 07:58 AM
Well if ya need any help...just give me a shout.
I'm gettin' the Concept ready for the summer...let's see if we can get a few people together and have another run as soon as your's is done.

Angel

OK,

didnt get much done yesterday, rained most of the day. Definitely gotta make a run when I am done. Elliott, or Holiday Isle:cheers2:

rchevelle71
04-12-2010, 07:59 AM
a great thread and very inspiring work Rick. I just love seeing this kind of stuff come together.

Thanks,

Some of this is a learning experience for me, I have done plenty of small glass repairs in the past, but never anything this big.

Rick

Dude! Sweet!
04-12-2010, 10:24 AM
Nice! Keep up the good work bud!

rchevelle71
04-20-2010, 08:47 AM
Back at it, the last few weekends have been rainy down here, so havent gotten much done, but did manage to get a few coats of gel on the outside, and cut and bonded in the 3rd. knee, and doubled up the stringers with 3/4. I still need to glass the knee and stringers in, but ran out of good weather, and glass on Sunday, gotta make a trip to Hollywood this week to get more.

Racerguymiami
04-20-2010, 09:29 PM
Looking Good. That transom is going to be rock solid, even without the rear deck in place. You were looking to do a re-configuration of the rear deck and splashwell. I vote to paint that rear bilge area swimming pool blue and turn it into a jacuzzi with beer cooler. Great work Rick.

Buoy
04-20-2010, 09:35 PM
The work really does look great Rick.
A lot of work, but looking great! I'm sure you'll be happy when she's back on the water, and you don't have that to worry about.

rchevelle71
04-20-2010, 10:03 PM
The work really does look great Rick.
A lot of work, but looking great! I'm sure you'll be happy when she's back on the water, and you don't have that to worry about.

Thanks,

may have to get some extra power to push all the new wood around:eek:

sonicss31
04-20-2010, 10:10 PM
Great thread. Your doing a great job. When you finish and are back on the water is when it will really pay off. Nothing like sweat equity!

rchevelle71
04-21-2010, 07:40 AM
Great thread. Your doing a great job. When you finish and are back on the water is when it will really pay off. Nothing like sweat equity!

Thanks,

but are we ever actually finished??:)

bigboat28
04-21-2010, 01:58 PM
Looking very good.

rchevelle71
04-27-2010, 09:12 PM
Here is the latest, all covered in glass, got some sanding and gelcoat work to do this weekend.:ack2:

MiamiOffshore
04-28-2010, 09:44 PM
Congrats Rick ! Looks Rock Solid...so how about power?? hmm?

rchevelle71
04-29-2010, 03:05 PM
Congrats Rick ! Looks Rock Solid...so how about power?? hmm?

just the 250EFI.............. For now:sifone:

rchevelle71
05-03-2010, 09:31 AM
Gelcoated Bilge this weekend, will work on the deck next weekend.

Dude! Sweet!
05-03-2010, 11:08 AM
Looking good Rick! You're kicking ass. I love the rodholders you installed in there. Classy and functional! :sifone:

rchevelle71
05-03-2010, 12:44 PM
Looking good Rick! You're kicking ass. I love the rodholders you installed in there. Classy and functional! :sifone:

Never thought about that, may have to put some holes in the deck to use them:sifone:

DAREDEVIL
05-03-2010, 12:46 PM

LMAO...:cheers2:

rchevelle71
05-09-2010, 09:39 AM
Built the mold yesterday for the splashwell replacement insert, gonna go lay some glass in a bit:cheers2:

Ratickle
05-09-2010, 09:41 AM
Built the mold yesterday for the splashwell replacement insert, gonna go lay some glass in a bit:cheers2:

Looks perfect for trips.......:sifone:

rchevelle71
05-09-2010, 01:07 PM
Looks perfect for trips.......:sifone:

This thing would sink with the weight of tripps:eek:

Offshore Ginger
05-09-2010, 02:35 PM
so Rick when are you dropping her in for your first sea trial and looking good .

rchevelle71
05-09-2010, 07:35 PM
so Rick when are you dropping her in for your first sea trial and looking good .

Gonna be a while still, needs paint, and the compressor took a crap today, also, been sitting so long, trailer brakes are locked, got them free, but the trailer needs some work:rolleyes:

DID manage to get the part pulled, here is the new shape of the 24:bump:

rchevelle71
05-09-2010, 07:41 PM
Here it is just laid on the boat

MOBILEMERCMAN
05-09-2010, 07:51 PM
It is nice to know I am not the only one deep in a project.. Keep up the good work..

I must tell myself 10 times a day, "Just get it done JimBob. Its not going to fix itself."

Buoy
05-09-2010, 09:08 PM
Looks good! A 24 Pantera with a "Trunk".
Maybe I missed it, or maybe I forgot, is the motor on a bracket? Or are you cutting into the "trunk" to mount the motor? (I still think you need to add a second motor:sifone:

rchevelle71
05-09-2010, 09:38 PM
It is nice to know I am not the only one deep in a project.. Keep up the good work..

I must tell myself 10 times a day, "Just get it done JimBob. Its not going to fix itself."

I hera ya, the weather has been amazing here lately, and I would rather be on the water, but like ya said, its not going to fix itself:sifone:

rchevelle71
05-09-2010, 09:40 PM
Nice Rick, i would stiffen that up a bit and make an acces pannel behind the rear seat to get in there...but i guess u tought about that anyways !!!!!!:sifone:

It is 5 layers of 1708, last layer has ribs, that I made with 1" PVC, it will all be tied into a bulhead at the front of the knees that will be cut out for access.

rchevelle71
05-09-2010, 09:40 PM
Looks good! A 24 Pantera with a "Trunk".
Maybe I missed it, or maybe I forgot, is the motor on a bracket? Or are you cutting into the "trunk" to mount the motor? (I still think you need to add a second motor:sifone:

Actually thought about building in a cooler:cheers2:

MiamiOffshore
05-09-2010, 09:57 PM
Rick mi amigo you are doing a superb job!! I have another Pantera that will require some of your fine expertise soon! hahaha

Seriously SWEET job!!!!!

MiamiOffshore
05-09-2010, 10:00 PM
Actually thought about building in a cooler:cheers2:

Did anyone say CERVEZA!!

rchevelle71
05-09-2010, 10:01 PM
Rick mi amigo you are doing a superb job!! I have another Pantera that will require some of your fine expertise soon! hahaha

Seriously SWEET job!!!!!

No problem Angel, whatever you need, and as far as the Cerveza, I have had enough for today, start over again tomorrow:cheers2:

rchevelle71
05-31-2010, 10:23 PM
Been a few weeks since an update, havent gotten much done since I have had to work the last few weekends, but today I worked on the deck piece, reinforced everything, and added 2 layers of 1708 around the lip, one layer of 1708 on the sides, and tehn mat over everything, MUCH stronger now:cheers2:

rchevelle71
05-31-2010, 10:26 PM
Then I gelcoated it, I will grind back the edges when I glass it in, hopefully next weekend:)

lucky strike
05-31-2010, 11:27 PM
Get it done Rick, your missing some good boating weather.

OneBadInjun
06-01-2010, 09:20 AM
Coming along nice Ricardo.:cheers2:

rchevelle71
06-01-2010, 09:26 AM
Get it done Rick, your missing some good boating weather.

I know, and it is killing me, hopefully late summer will be as nice as last year.

bigboat28
06-01-2010, 10:16 PM
Hey Hey late summer, lets not hurry the best time of the year along LOL

rchevelle71
06-02-2010, 08:36 AM
Hey Hey late summer, lets not hurry the best time of the year along LOL

:cheers2:gotta get it going:cheers2:

JnT
06-02-2010, 03:46 PM
I vote for the cooler. :) Very much appreciate the ride last year. I have some props if you do any performance mods to the motor.
Jim

DAREDEVIL
06-02-2010, 11:07 PM
Damn,,,is he still not done ..lolololol:willy_nilly::sifone::bump:

rchevelle71
06-03-2010, 07:56 AM
I vote for the cooler. :) Very much appreciate the ride last year. I have some props if you do any performance mods to the motor.
Jim

Cooler is out for now, maybe I will figure it in later, just want to make sure I have the CG correct before adding any more weight to the back. No problem on the ride, any time, and next time ya get down, maybe we will have some more speed in her, and have the handling down, now that the transom and stringers are solid. Not sure on the props yet, looking at a set of 300 heads, and remap the ECU's to 300, maybe a Simon intake:bump::driving: , but gotta wait and see if I get my bonus this year before doing mod's:rolleyes:

rchevelle71
06-03-2010, 07:58 AM
Damn,,,is he still not done ..lolololol:willy_nilly::sifone::bump:

Some of us have only the weekends to work on it:smash:, gonna miss a weekend also, due to Sunny Isles:driving:

Xray50
06-03-2010, 10:40 AM
Do you need a compressor? I thought I read yours broke. I have 2 you can use.

rchevelle71
06-03-2010, 11:12 AM
Do you need a compressor? I thought I read yours broke. I have 2 you can use.

Thanks Ray,

I got it fixed.

rchevelle71
06-06-2010, 08:30 PM
Started to glass the deck back in this weekend, still needs the interior glass done.

Buoy
06-06-2010, 09:02 PM
a lot of work Rick.

Looking good! You'll be back out there soon.

rchevelle71
06-07-2010, 09:01 PM
a lot of work Rick.

Looking good! You'll be back out there soon.

YUP,

a LOT of work, but I am glad it is going back together now:driving:

MOBILEMERCMAN
06-18-2010, 04:07 PM
I wish I was on the home stretch.. I haven't had time to even look at mine.

Have you made any progress in the last couple of weeks?

JFM
06-18-2010, 08:22 PM
Almost done!! Looks great. Now take a couple of minutes to clean the mold off your seats. :leaving:

Joking looks great :cheers2:

rchevelle71
06-18-2010, 11:40 PM
I wish I was on the home stretch.. I haven't had time to even look at mine.

Have you made any progress in the last couple of weeks?

Made a little progress last weekend, expect big progress starting tomorrow, I see it is even hotter in texas than it is here:eek:

rchevelle71
06-18-2010, 11:40 PM
Almost done!! Looks great. Now take a couple of minutes to clean the mold off your seats. :leaving:

Joking looks great :cheers2:

That friggin mold wont come off, maybe need to bleach and dye??

phragle
06-19-2010, 12:18 AM
Magic eraser

jeffswav
06-19-2010, 10:05 PM
Keep up the good work, my project has really paid off. When you are all finished and you tell all your friends you did it yourself you should see the look on there faces.

rchevelle71
06-19-2010, 11:24 PM
Magic eraser

Takes some of it off, but not all.

rchevelle71
06-19-2010, 11:25 PM
Keep up the good work, my project has really paid off. When you are all finished and you tell all your friends you did it yourself you should see the look on there faces.

YUP,

I try to do all of my own work, house, cars, boats. Maybe I am just Cheap:sifone:

MOBILEMERCMAN
06-19-2010, 11:53 PM
Maybe I am just Cheap:sifone:

Or full of pride.:cheers2:

Donskihp
06-20-2010, 08:39 AM
How many times have you taken something to a shop for service, and the shop cuts corners or just does a half butt job. My logic is if some one is gonna screw it up it might as well be me! This is why I do most my my repairs or service myself Don

rchevelle71
07-01-2010, 04:36 PM
Just checked UPS.com, and my Paint arrived, Look for updates all this weekend:sifone:

rchevelle71
07-01-2010, 04:36 PM
Or full of pride.:cheers2:

My wife says I am full of something else:eek:

rchevelle71
07-03-2010, 03:35 PM
Day started out OK, got a little done, but then the sky's turned to this, and had to stop working:mad:

rchevelle71
07-03-2010, 04:06 PM
Got some of the fairing done, gotta finish it up tomorrow, hoped to be in Gelkote today:mad:

rchevelle71
07-03-2010, 04:11 PM
Also fixed a few cracks that showed up during the sanding.

Buoy
07-03-2010, 04:34 PM
Rick, I have to admit, my first reaction to those pics was "Oh my God, what the phuck did you do"!!!!!!!!
But, after I opened them up and took a closer look, you're doing a great job.
You're almost done, final stretch now.
Hopefully weather cooperates, and you'll be done in no time - and back on the water.:cheers2:

rchevelle71
07-04-2010, 10:28 AM
Rick, I have to admit, my first reaction to those pics was "Oh my God, what the phuck did you do"!!!!!!!!
But, after I opened them up and took a closer look, you're doing a great job.
You're almost done, final stretch now.
Hopefully weather cooperates, and you'll be done in no time - and back on the water.:cheers2:

Just doing what had to be done, believe me, I didnt want to get this deep but there was only one way to do it right.

rchevelle71
07-04-2010, 04:53 PM
Well,

Dodging rainstorms again today:mad: But did manage to get the back finished off, and a coat of Grl on before the afternoon rain.

rchevelle71
07-05-2010, 08:35 PM
Not that this pic is much different, but did manage to get outside before the rains today and get a second coat of Gel down. Also stripped the Keel guard, never do that again:rolleyes:

rchevelle71
07-10-2010, 11:47 PM
Got it in Primer today, Hope for Paint tomorrow:sifone:

Buoy
07-11-2010, 12:40 AM
Looks good Rick -congrats on a job well done!!:cheers2:
I'm so jealous...
I've been dick'in around with my trailer wheels, and need to focus on my boat.
Guess I'm working from the ground up.

Offshore Ginger
07-11-2010, 09:09 AM
Rick , i bet that 's a good feeling to know that you are one more step to being done . Rick , just curious what primer did you use and what paint are you going to spray and i thought you already had it in jell .

rchevelle71
07-11-2010, 09:53 AM
Looks good Rick -congrats on a job well done!!:cheers2:
I'm so jealous...
I've been dick'in around with my trailer wheels, and need to focus on my boat.
Guess I'm working from the ground up.

My trailer needs work too, Brakes:rolleyes:

rchevelle71
07-11-2010, 09:58 AM
Rick , i bet that 's a good feeling to know that you are one more step to being done . Rick , just curious what primer did you use and what paint are you going to spray and i thought you already had it in jell .

Artie,

I put it in Gel, just for some extra water resistance(and to give me something to sand out some small imperfections:sifone:) The rest of the boat is painted, so unless I stripped the whole boat, I had to use the same paint in order to match. The Paint I used is Interlux Epoxy Prime Kote for the primer, and Interlux Perfection Snow White for topcoat, this is the way the rest of the boat was done 4 years ago and it held up well. One step to being done with the hull work, then I have to rig it back up:rolleyes:

Rick

rchevelle71
07-12-2010, 07:34 AM
Got the paint done yesterday, but no pics, it was getting late when i got done, will get some pics tonight.

rchevelle71
07-12-2010, 06:21 PM
Here are the pics with the paint, got some touch up to do on the front where the Keel Gard was, then it is time to put it back together:sifone::driving:

tsp
07-12-2010, 06:25 PM
Nice job. You work fast. You cant tell it was ever touched.

rchevelle71
07-13-2010, 08:13 AM
Nice job. You work fast. You cant tell it was ever touched.

Thanks,

I don't know about fast, it has been since January:eek: The pictures don't tell the whole story, I am not totally satisfied, up close you can see a few small areas of imperfection, but heck the boat is 30 years old. The whole boat is going to get stripped and repainted agin in a year or so(kinda getting sick of the purple), but dyeing to get back on the water, so it will do for now.

jeffswav
07-13-2010, 10:35 AM
Mine is the same way, from 5 or 10 feet back it looks perfect. But if you get right up on it you can always find inperfections. When the boats were brand new they were not perfect. I am going to do a little touch up on mine this winter. I do not work on them in the summer unless I have to. Summer is for letting them run. Hope you get yours running soon.

rchevelle71
07-13-2010, 11:02 AM
Mine is the same way, from 5 or 10 feet back it looks perfect. But if you get right up on it you can always find inperfections. When the boats were brand new they were not perfect. I am going to do a little touch up on mine this winter. I do not work on them in the summer unless I have to. Summer is for letting them run. Hope you get yours running soon.

I live in the land of endless summer(except for those 2 weeks in jauary where we need to wear a light jacket to go boating):sifone:

sonicss31
07-13-2010, 06:27 PM
Looks good from my house. Try not to let it bother you. Finish the rigging and enjoy the fruits of your labor. Be proud of your hard efforts and remember you could have paid someone and gotten much less. Looks great!

jeffswav
07-14-2010, 08:56 AM
I live in the land of endless summer(except for those 2 weeks in jauary where we need to wear a light jacket to go boating):sifone:Were do you live?

rchevelle71
07-14-2010, 09:23 AM
Were do you live?

West palm area, South FLA:sifone:

jeffswav
07-19-2010, 01:08 PM
West palm area, South FLA:sifone:You suck!! Just kidding, must be nice to boat year round. But we don't have hurricanes were we live.

rchevelle71
07-19-2010, 02:29 PM
You suck!! Just kidding, must be nice to boat year round. But we don't have hurricanes were we live.

I'll take hurricanes every 5 years or so over Snow, and Tornadoes:sifone: I grew up in the Northeast, and I gotta say, Hurricanes are BAD, but they are few and far between, snow up north is inevitable. No New pics from this weekend, but I DID finish the paint repairs in other areas, just waiting on motor mounting hardware(Backing plates etc), then it is time to start the rigging:cheers2:

Bobcat
07-19-2010, 05:58 PM
Plus we get a three to 5 day day warning on hurricanes.......plenty time to stock up on the necessities ....:cheers2:

rchevelle71
07-19-2010, 09:00 PM
Plus we get a three to 5 day day warning on hurricanes.......plenty time to stock up on the necessities ....:cheers2:

You Know it...............

Propane
Beer
Lots of Perishable meat(excuse to have the after party)
Beer
Fuel for Generator
Beer
Plywood
Beer
More fuel for Generator
Beer:cheers2:

OH,

and plenty of D-cell batteries for the portable TV, so you can watch football:sifone:

I feel for you guys in the keys though, we have it kinda easy up here in the great white North:rolleyes:

Offshore Ginger
07-19-2010, 09:30 PM
You Know it...............

Propane
Beer
Lots of Perishable meat(excuse to have the after party)
Beer
Fuel for Generator
Beer
Plywood
Beer
More fuel for Generator
Beer:cheers2:

OH,

and plenty of D-cell batteries for the portable TV, so you can watch football:sifone:

I feel for you guys in the keys though, we have it kinda easy up here in the great white North:rolleyes::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

rchevelle71
07-19-2010, 10:04 PM
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I think you get the picture:cheers2::cheers2::cheers2::cheers2::cheers2::cheers2
Bobcat aand I are the reason they dont sell beer during the Hurricanes, they make us buy it upfront:sifone:

Buoy
07-19-2010, 10:07 PM
I think you get the picture:cheers2::cheers2::cheers2::cheers2::cheers2::cheers2
Bobcat aand I are the reason they dont sell beer during the Hurricanes, they make us buy it upfront:sifone:

Otherwise you'd wind up being the "looter guy" of S. FLA

rchevelle71
07-20-2010, 08:05 AM
Otherwise you'd wind up being the "looter guy" of S. FLA

Wasnt my fault, I was thirsty:cheers2:

rchevelle71
07-24-2010, 11:13 PM
Starting to look like a boat again, got the rubrail on, and mounted the jackplate today, motor gets bolted up tomorrow:sifone:

Buoy
07-25-2010, 01:19 AM
Congrats Rick!! Looks good.
Now I'm looking forward to seeing pics of her back on the water:sifone:

Offshore Ginger
07-25-2010, 10:03 AM
Starting to look like a boat again, got the rubrail on, and mounted the jackplate today, motor gets bolted up tomorrow:sifone: L@@king good and when is the first sea trial ?:driving:

rchevelle71
07-26-2010, 12:07 AM
Congrats Rick!! Looks good.
Now I'm looking forward to seeing pics of her back on the water:sifone:

Thanks,

Soon:driving:

rchevelle71
07-26-2010, 12:08 AM
L@@king good and when is the first sea trial ?:driving:

Thanks,

Probably a few weeks before I get the rigging done.

rchevelle71
07-26-2010, 12:12 AM
Motor got mounted today, along with a Bath:sifone:

rchevelle71
07-26-2010, 12:14 AM
And one for the haters that were picking on my mildewy seat, surprise, they came clean:eek:

sonicss31
07-26-2010, 04:25 PM
Looks good, coming along nicely. Just curious if your neighbors are like mine and are always asking when you will be finished. They just don't understand the passion we have for our toys.

JFM
07-26-2010, 05:37 PM
And one for the haters that were picking on my mildewy seat, surprise, they came clean:eek:

Nice job! I new you could do it. :cheers2: Boat looks great, glad to see it come back together.

jeffswav
07-26-2010, 06:37 PM
Looks good, now its time to let it run!! What kind of power are you running in that outboard?

bigboat28
07-27-2010, 07:36 AM
Looking good.

rchevelle71
07-27-2010, 10:01 AM
Looks good, coming along nicely. Just curious if your neighbors are like mine and are always asking when you will be finished. They just don't understand the passion we have for our toys.

One neighbor is like me, and loves his toys(shifter karts/4x4's), My Buddy across the street just doesnt get it, but then again, he calls me over to help every time he needs a lightbulb changed:confused:

rchevelle71
07-27-2010, 10:03 AM
Looks good, now its time to let it run!! What kind of power are you running in that outboard?

Just a 250EFI, want to change it to 300specs, hunting for a set of 300ECU's, and heads, but it does touch 60 with just the 250, not bad for an oldschool straightbottom boat:driving:

rchevelle71
07-27-2010, 10:04 AM
Looking good.

Thanks,

have you been out at all?? One of these days we should meet up, just kinda hard to time it where everybodys boat is running at the same time:(

JFM
08-08-2010, 03:43 PM
Just wondering what prop you are spinning?

rchevelle71
08-09-2010, 02:25 PM
Just wondering what prop you are spinning?

21 Mirage Plus, or standard 23 Mirage.

Love Machine
08-15-2010, 06:01 PM
Rick,

I haven't been around for a while and had to search for this thread.

Looks awesome. Great work. I'm sure you're excited to get it in the water.

Are you going to put a name on the boat?

Bill

rchevelle71
08-16-2010, 08:29 AM
Rick,

I haven't been around for a while and had to search for this thread.

Looks awesome. Great work. I'm sure you're excited to get it in the water.

Are you going to put a name on the boat?

Bill

Hey Bill,

Whatcha been up to? Probably no name, I may repaint the whole boat next winter with a simple white with silver paint job. Waiting on the swim platform/bracket right now, then it will be back on the water.

Rick

joe90
09-12-2010, 11:44 PM
Hi Looks great. What resin did you use?
Thanks

rchevelle71
09-13-2010, 08:16 AM
Hi Looks great. What resin did you use?
Thanks

A wise man told me since the boat was built with polyester, there was no reason to use anything else. It was however a high grade polyester, and 1708 Biax. I do not remember the exact name, got it from a bulk drum from a boatbuilder in south FL. It IS back on the water, and no stress cracks after the first outing:D.

joe90
09-13-2010, 10:10 AM
I did one boat with Mass epoxy over the summer and added too much to the cost. I am doing a another boat now and was going to use polyester so save some on cost.
Thanks you did a great job on your boat.

rchevelle71
09-13-2010, 10:34 AM
I did one boat with Mass epoxy over the summer and added too much to the cost. I am doing a another boat now and was going to use polyester so save some on cost.
Thanks you did a great job on your boat.

You could also go with a Vinyl ester which is about in the middle pricewise. One thing to remember is do not use the crap resin from Home Depot, or the auto parts stores, it is not the same as what boatbuilders use, I have experience with that crap, and this stuff is much better, longer pot life, wet out and strenth is superior. Check this place out, this is where my guy gets his stuff, good stuff, decent prices, although it appears prices went up in the last few months.

http://www.fgci.com/

Dude! Sweet!
09-14-2010, 05:13 PM
Ah, and on topic this time... I'll say it again, DAMN dude, that came out great! Nicely done.

rchevelle71
09-15-2010, 11:50 AM
Ah, and on topic this time... I'll say it again, DAMN dude, that came out great! Nicely done.

Thanks,

Wait 'til ya see what we do with Angels 24:cool::sifone::26:

Henry
01-09-2019, 03:11 AM
This has nothing to do with the work of the pontoon, i think it simply has to do with what sort of fellow gets one of these water crafts, i get it takes a unique breed

Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking