PDA

View Full Version : Fixing up a steel EAGLE!

fixxxer22
06-08-2010, 01:32 PM
My boat sits on a 1993 eagle. The bunks are getting old and need re-done as much as the steps and stuff. all freshwater use but the steps and inner fenders are rotted away. anyways i have another trailer to sit it on while i am doing this. i should have it at the end of the week. i will post pisc of it and see what you guys think. anyways i assume you use pressure treated wood for the bunks. where do i get the carpet? and i am going to just paint it with roll on oil base paint. seems to look pretty good from 5 feet away. what do most people use to stop rust. i know there is stuff you can brush on to help neutralize it but im not sure what to get. and when i get started i will post pics. just want to get my ducks in a row. want to get it done in a 5 day work week.

DAREDEVIL
06-08-2010, 05:00 PM
My boat sits on a 1993 eagle. The bunks are getting old and need re-done as much as the steps and stuff. all freshwater use but the steps and inner fenders are rotted away. anyways i have another trailer to sit it on while i am doing this. i should have it at the end of the week. i will post pisc of it and see what you guys think. anyways i assume you use pressure treated wood for the bunks. where do i get the carpet? and i am going to just paint it with roll on oil base paint. seems to look pretty good from 5 feet away. what do most people use to stop rust. i know there is stuff you can brush on to help neutralize it but im not sure what to get. and when i get started i will post pics. just want to get my ducks in a row. want to get it done in a 5 day work week.

Bunk crapet = e-bay
rust treatment = ospho or prep & edge (same thing ) osphotic acide
then paint with Rustoleuom !!!! :cheers2:

JFM
06-09-2010, 04:15 PM
I don't know if you need new fenders but there is a guy on http://bajaboatowners.com that has them in the swap shop.

fixxxer22
06-09-2010, 04:35 PM
my fenders are steel and in ok shape thanks for the info though. it is the wood backside that is rotten. i will just replace the plywood. and DD where can i get the ospho stuff? local hardware store???? i am pickong up the other trailer tonight will post pics.

DAREDEVIL
06-09-2010, 05:40 PM
my fenders are steel and in ok shape thanks for the info though. it is the wood backside that is rotten. i will just replace the plywood. and DD where can i get the ospho stuff? local hardware store???? i am pickong up the other trailer tonight will post pics.

fixxxer..go to home depot and look for prep & edge !!! or somthing like that...

thats where i got it and its the same thing as ospho....READ THE INSTRUCTIONS REAL GOOD !!!!!!!!! nothing to mess around with !!!:eek:

fixxxer22
06-09-2010, 09:26 PM
ok look at what i got. the trailer that is empty is the one i want to set it on. the bunks are within a few inches of the outer ones i have. would ride on the edge of that channel Looks to be safe... will i hurt the boat? as you can see 4 bunks on my trailer support the boat. im am talking one week topps.

fixxxer22
06-09-2010, 09:28 PM
see that angled edge on the stern of the boat that is between the two bunks but closer to the outer bunk on the trailer i have now. that is exactly (as i have measured) where the other mickey mouse trailer would hold my boat on that edge right there.

And look at the buff job. 18 hours yeah buddy!

DAREDEVIL
06-09-2010, 09:32 PM
ok look at what i got. the trailer that is empty is the one i want to set it on. the bunks are within a few inches of the outer ones i have. would ride on the edge of that channel Looks to be safe... will i hurt the boat? as you can see 4 bunks on my trailer support the boat. im am talking one week topps.

Thats fine..just don'e scratch it up in case the bunks are to low !!!!:cheers2:

Iowa looks nice, almost like florida roads here...lol nice bike too !

fixxxer22
06-09-2010, 09:49 PM
thanks its a streeet glide just put a 110 kit and cams in it over the winter. and also the bunks are 6 inches higher than the ones on my trailer from center. of the trailer support beams.

DAREDEVIL
06-10-2010, 12:08 AM
thanks its a streeet glide just put a 110 kit and cams in it over the winter. and also the bunks are 6 inches higher than the ones on my trailer from center. of the trailer support beams.

Cool...then u should have no problem !!!:cheers2:

fixxxer22
06-10-2010, 10:19 AM
the trailer had a 29 four winns horizon on it. so i am obviously not going to run it up to the bow support. there is a ramp about a mile from my house. so im gonna drag her back home nice and easy. thinking of painting my trailer white. think it will look ok?

Throttle Fever
06-10-2010, 04:44 PM
White looks great, but make sure you clean or bead blast every weld and nook and cranny. Painted one of my old trailers white, but must have missed a weld or two in the prep. Had a couple rust spots come thru after a couple of years. Rust on white paint sure shows up. Pete

DAREDEVIL
06-10-2010, 04:53 PM
White looks great, but make sure you clean or bead blast every weld and nook and cranny. Painted one of my old trailers white, but must have missed a weld or two in the prep. Had a couple rust spots come thru after a couple of years. Rust on white paint sure shows up. Pete

:iagree:....here is the latest pic of mine....rustoleum rust primer and then 3 coats of white..i have the first one on !!!!!!:cheers2:

and preping is all u realy need to do 100 % !!!!!

Throttle Fever
06-10-2010, 05:12 PM
Rustoleum does a great job. Looks good.........

DAREDEVIL
06-10-2010, 05:19 PM
Rustoleum does a great job. Looks good.........

thanks...the inside of the fenders i sprayed with rubber undercoating !!:cheers2:

what a pita work tho..the trailer is 38 ' overall ...damn !:eek::ack2::sifone:

old377guy
06-10-2010, 09:41 PM
:iagree:....here is the latest pic of mine....rustoleum rust primer and then 3 coats of white..i have the first one on !!!!!!:cheers2:

and preping is all u realy need to do 100 % !!!!!

lookin fantastic DARE!

DAREDEVIL
06-10-2010, 10:12 PM
lookin fantastic DARE!

Thanks..compared to how it looked 4 weeks ago...( i am slow ,lol ) i agree...i like it white !!!!
compare pic.....i hope Fixxxer don't mind....:blush5:

fixxxer22
06-10-2010, 10:28 PM
naaah.... dont mind at all!:cheers2:

DAREDEVIL
06-15-2010, 06:37 PM
naaah.... dont mind at all!:cheers2:

ANY UPDATE ON YOUR TRAILER ???????:confused:

fixxxer22
06-16-2010, 10:50 AM
ANY UPDATE ON YOUR TRAILER ???????:confused:

Traded some work on a tow truck for the use of a sand blaster. blasted it, rust prepped it with that stuff. primed it and just put the third coat of paint on it last night. have it sitting in the sun right now. got the brakes installed and wired. have the new bunks at the house and covered. worked 12 hours on it on sunday. had monday off. worked from 8 am till 1030pm worked last night from 5 till 1100. it is lookin good. will try and pst pics on my lunch break. gonna take it to work so i can run the lag bolts in with my air ratchet. there is over 60 lag bolts that hold the bunks in. i would have a huge arm if i attempted to hand ratchet them all in. i also jigsawed new inner fenders and carpeted them. i have some extra diamond plate from my downstairs bar top. just enough to put on all the steps. so i gotta run down to my buddys machine shop and use his big olde press break. so the pics i post tonight will not have any steps on them.

man i love the electric brakes. i have tow command in my truck it is nice to make use of it. the brakes only cose $30 per hub. And i only have one braking axle. soooo. i dont care if they are not intented for water. and i dont understand why. it is a sealed electro-magnet. anyways im gonna leave the inspection plugs out so the drum can drain fast while im towling the boat off. ill let you know how that all works.

DAREDEVIL
06-16-2010, 11:25 AM
Traded some work on a tow truck for the use of a sand blaster. blasted it, rust prepped it with that stuff. primed it and just put the third coat of paint on it last night. have it sitting in the sun right now. got the brakes installed and wired. have the new bunks at the house and covered. worked 12 hours on it on sunday. had monday off. worked from 8 am till 1030pm worked last night from 5 till 1100. it is lookin good. will try and pst pics on my lunch break. gonna take it to work so i can run the lag bolts in with my air ratchet. there is over 60 lag bolts that hold the bunks in. i would have a huge arm if i attempted to hand ratchet them all in. i also jigsawed new inner fenders and carpeted them. i have some extra diamond plate from my downstairs bar top. just enough to put on all the steps. so i gotta run down to my buddys machine shop and use his big olde press break. so the pics i post tonight will not have any steps on them.

man i love the electric brakes. i have tow command in my truck it is nice to make use of it. the brakes only cose $30 per hub. And i only have one braking axle. soooo. i dont care if they are not intented for water. and i dont understand why. it is a sealed electro-magnet. anyways im gonna leave the inspection plugs out so the drum can drain fast while im towling the boat off. ill let you know how that all works.

Cool, man your fast..i still need to paint the last coat on ..LOL
But i am not in a hurry,since the boat is not ready yet !:cheers2:
Can't wait to see pix !