PDA

View Full Version : Convert roller to bunk.

scottw
06-06-2010, 07:57 PM
Here is a picture of my roller. Any Ideas on how to convert to bunk. I was thinking of just u-bolting 4" flat stock to the main rails in 3 spots and putting 2- 2x10's bolted together on each side right on top of the main rails. Then in front put in a couple crossmembers and putting a v-bunk up there to catch the front. Any other ideas?

Ratickle
06-06-2010, 08:13 PM
Go take lots of pictures of trailers with bunks and buy the proper brackets to do it right. Otherwise, weld on brackets to hold the bunks.

If it doesn't match the bottom correctly, you will warp the bottom.

BajaIceBreaker
06-07-2010, 09:13 AM
I think you would be better off with a Hybrid design... which is, keep the center rollers that you currently have, and add bunks just above the strakes on your boat. Be sure they extend to the end of the transom and not past. As far a the front... you're fine with the center rollers. You'll never warp or deform your boat if the weight is on the V rollers.
With a hybrid design, you'll find it much easier to load/unload in shallow launch sites, and just a sturdy with not impressions from side wheels/rollers.
How long is your boat?

scottw
06-08-2010, 06:45 PM
Boat is 25'. Have any pictures of a hybrid trailer?

DAREDEVIL
06-08-2010, 07:03 PM
Your best bet, i think is to buy a used small trailer with bunks...they go for around 500-1200 USD !!!!!! and be done !

scottw
06-08-2010, 08:07 PM
Your best bet, i think is to buy a used small trailer with bunks...they go for around 500-1200 USD !!!!!! and be done !

I wish I could find a deal like that. Hate to get rid of mine. It is in great shape. Has disc brakes that I put on. New tires. New actuator. Hate to buy one that needs a lot of work.

DAREDEVIL
06-08-2010, 09:37 PM
I wish I could find a deal like that. Hate to get rid of mine. It is in great shape. Has disc brakes that I put on. New tires. New actuator. Hate to buy one that needs a lot of work.

There is one in the swap shop for 600 bucks...disc brakes and all !

oops...its sold. here is apic of it

just gotta keep looking ...their out there !!!!!