PDA

View Full Version : Bravo 1 X Locked up.

fixxxer22
06-02-2010, 12:42 PM
Thought i would just let you guys know for how odd this was....

My friend has a hustler 388 slingshot. It has wesco 700hp engines. he has ran bravos for 2 seasons and finally blew the LH. He bought bravo 1X drives new. Not even 15 minutes of running and he calls me while i am launching. he asks what would make an engine just stop. i catch up to him on the beach and take a look. he cranked it and the engine would turn about 1 inch of revolution. he thought it was the engine. i said the drive was jammed. took the drive off she fired right up. i put my big prybar in the yoke of the u-joints and attempted to twist the drive. i could not get it to turn.

he said he let off the throttles to cross a wake and the starboard shut down. just crazy to think that at that exact moment the drive let go. i would love to take it apart but i know i should just leave it for mercruiser warranty purposes. just weird tho.

And i was not the person to install the drives:eek:

MacGyver
06-02-2010, 12:52 PM
Was it full of lube? Sounds like it seized.

fixxxer22
06-02-2010, 01:03 PM
That's the thing. i didnt put them on and the drive lube bottle was empty. it was late in the day after work i asked him if he wanted me to check he said dont bother didnt think of it until after the drive was laying on the floor thts when he told me he filled the bottle a couple of times. i think the dude forgot to fill that one out of the box. and i bet it was not good on the coupler as well.

MOBILEMERCMAN
06-02-2010, 01:48 PM
A complete drive comes full of lube. If it was new in halves obviously it would need to be filled. If he had to add fluid a couple times and kept running it....well you get what you get.

MacGyver
06-02-2010, 02:10 PM
That's the thing. i didnt put them on and the drive lube bottle was empty. it was late in the day after work i asked him if he wanted me to check he said dont bother didnt think of it until after the drive was laying on the floor thts when he told me he filled the bottle a couple of times. i think the dude forgot to fill that one out of the box. and i bet it was not good on the coupler as well.

Sounds like I was right, bummer. Was the drive installed by a dealer or by a friend?

fixxxer22
06-02-2010, 05:17 PM
dealer i think. he said it was a small marina

DAREDEVIL
06-02-2010, 11:01 PM
A complete drive comes full of lube. If it was new in halves obviously it would need to be filled. If he had to add fluid a couple times and kept running it....well you get what you get.

Since when ????

I seen new drives, complete and they all have a decal on them that say
" WARNING NO GEARLUBE !!!!!! " :confused:

MOBILEMERCMAN
06-02-2010, 11:16 PM
Since when ????

As long as I can remember.

DAREDEVIL
06-02-2010, 11:23 PM
As long as I can remember.

Maybe in texas, becasue they forget to fill them.

U can't even ship one with oil unless its a special freight !!!!

but hey..i don't care anyways..so never mind !

MOBILEMERCMAN
06-02-2010, 11:34 PM
A complete drive comes motor freight anyway or on the delivery truck with the boat.

I always check them anyway.. Your are right it is a non issue.

MacGyver
06-03-2010, 06:56 AM
dealer i think. he said it was a small marina

Hopefully they will cover the bill then.

fixxxer22
06-03-2010, 09:55 AM
the boat is back on its way back to the dude that put them on. they were brand new so i assume he will warranty.

MacGyver
06-03-2010, 10:13 AM
the boat is back on its way back to the dude that put them on. they were brand new so i assume he will warranty.

Let's hope so. Good luck!!

fixxxer22
06-09-2010, 10:54 PM
Talked with my friend that owns the boat today. said he talked with the guy that put them on. he said the upper bearing seized and he has never seen that before... hmmm

MacGyver
06-10-2010, 07:17 AM
Talked with my friend that owns the boat today. said he talked with the guy that put them on. he said the upper bearing seized and he has never seen that before... hmmm

Amazing how the upper bearing would seize, since no lube is protecting it :rolleyes: