PDA

View Full Version : Pulling a Bravo Drive

MacGyver
05-28-2010, 04:26 PM
Dumb question, how do you pull the drive to grease the u-joints without all the drive lube in the bottle draining out? I thought there was supposed to be some sort of valve to stop the flow when the drive was slid back, but I had lube squirting all over the place, so I slid it back into position for now.

DAREDEVIL
05-28-2010, 04:27 PM
If u pull it all the way, it should not drain..the valve will close in the gimbal !

MacGyver
05-28-2010, 04:52 PM
I had the drive about 3/4" apart and all I saw was a stream of lube shooting out. No valve of any kind. At least not pictured like in the Merc manual.

I gotta quit waiting till the last minute to do this stuff, LOL!

MOBILEMERCMAN
05-28-2010, 04:58 PM
You stopped at the worst place. It will keep flowing until you pull it off some more.. It will stop flowing once the drive has cleared the valve

MacGyver
05-28-2010, 04:59 PM
You stopped at the worst place. It will keep flowing until you pull it off some more.. It will stop flowing once the drive has cleared the valve

OK, rookie mistake then. I'll try again.

MacGyver
05-28-2010, 05:10 PM
Thanks DD and Jim for your quick response. Drive is off, that bitch is heavy. No BP oil spill in the garage either.

Another quick question....Why does Merc have so many different greases? I have 2C4 in the gun and was going to use that? Is that OK?

MOBILEMERCMAN
05-28-2010, 05:33 PM
There is a grease for every application.. They make a spline grease that is good for u joints too. The 2 4 c is really a general purpose grease for cables installing impellers and such. I would not use it in u joints. Use the spline grease or equivalent some High pressure High load grease Mercs is a dark blue... My favorite is Special lube 101 it is light green.. I use that on splines and all o rings and studs during assembly.

t500hps
05-28-2010, 06:06 PM
Hey...maybe you should change your screen name??? :biggrinjester:

couldn't resist :)

MOBILEMERCMAN
05-28-2010, 06:16 PM
Hey...maybe you should change your screen name??? :biggrinjester:

couldn't resist :)

Me? To what?

t500hps
05-28-2010, 07:11 PM
Me? To what?

NO...the OP.
MacGyver, you know the TV show, the guy that could make/do/fix anything with the lint in his pocket.

MacGyver
05-28-2010, 07:29 PM
NO...the OP.
MacGyver, you know the TV show, the guy that could make/do/fix anything with the lint in his pocket.

Not just lint.....I still need duct tape, a paper clip and my swiss army knife :smash:

Just want to do my drive correctly :D

MacGyver
05-28-2010, 07:34 PM
There is a grease for every application.. They make a spline grease that is good for u joints too. The 2 4 c is really a general purpose grease for cables installing impellers and such. I would not use it in u joints. Use the spline grease or equivalent some High pressure High load grease Mercs is a dark blue... My favorite is Special lube 101 it is light green.. I use that on splines and all o rings and studs during assembly.

Well, I shot some in the u-joints already:rolleyes: Guess I'll pull the drive and get the better stuff after this weekend. If you use Special Lube 101 on splines, can I use that on everything??......trailer bearings too??

And I thought grease was grease. Guess not.

DAREDEVIL
05-28-2010, 08:49 PM
Sorry, did not follow ...but glad u got it done.. !!! MAC GYVER ..hahaha:sifone::bump:

MacGyver
05-28-2010, 08:53 PM
Sorry, did not follow ...but glad u got it done.. !!! MAC GYVER ..hahaha:sifone::bump:

Hey now, be nice :kiss:

MOBILEMERCMAN
05-28-2010, 09:07 PM
Well, I shot some in the u-joints already:rolleyes: Guess I'll pull the drive and get the better stuff after this weekend. If you use Special Lube 101 on splines, can I use that on everything??......trailer bearings too??

And I thought grease was grease. Guess not.

I looked since I fast answered. Merc also has a gimble bearing u joint grease get some of that for your grease gun. Use the special lube 101 on the o rings, splines, studs and prop shaft. You can use the merc grease on wheel bearing if you want.. I have a separate grease gun with the citgo waterproof bearing grease for trailers.

MacGyver
05-28-2010, 09:22 PM
I looked since I fast answered. Merc also has a gimble bearing u joint grease get some of that for your grease gun. Use the special lube 101 on the o rings, splines, studs and prop shaft. You can use the merc grease on wheel bearing if you want.. I have a separate grease gun with the citgo waterproof bearing grease for trailers.

Thanks Jim, I greatly appreciate the info!! I guess I should follow what Merc specifies.

DAREDEVIL
05-28-2010, 10:16 PM
I always use the MARINE grease..for all of it on my boat...even the bearings on my trailer..never had an issue !
U know , merc buys this also and has color added on most of it !:rolleyes: