PDA

View Full Version : Removing Bravo 3 Detent Ball

goldeneyee
05-28-2010, 12:46 PM
I have two Bravo 3's that got water into the shifter cavity. Would like to remove the stainless sleeve and detent balls for cleaning and lubrication but I'm at a loss on how to get out...Thanks

MOBILEMERCMAN
05-28-2010, 12:54 PM
It just sits there held by only grease and possibly corrosion. You can purchase the ball, sleeve and spring as an assembly for about 42 dollars.

My first attempt would be to bang the cover with ball facing down on the edge of a bench.

goldeneyee
05-28-2010, 01:48 PM
I feel certain that there is corrosion between the stainless steel sleeve and the aluminum cover. I have gotten both detent balls freed up and lubricated but I've got to wonder what critters may be lurking behind the detent...

MOBILEMERCMAN
05-28-2010, 04:21 PM
I have seen the balls separate from the sleeves once water gets in there..I suggest you make the effort to get them out and replace them.

HiZ
07-15-2010, 04:39 PM
Replace them!!!
The ball is press/crimped in from Merc
Where there are wear issues you will have it fail on the shift cam and get stuck in/out of gear with no solution
Ask yourself if a day of lost boating and having to pull those hogs off again and split the cap is worth $100?
To me it's a definate replacement