PDA

View Full Version : Alpha Shift

fobes
05-25-2010, 05:20 AM
Hoping someone can offer advice-
I am trying to adjust my shift cables as I cannot get forward and reverse, only one or the other. I am only adjusting the lower cable (to the drive) for the most part. Also, I have read that I when in full reverse, the cut out switch should be in the exact center of the plate but its not??

MOBILEMERCMAN
05-25-2010, 07:35 AM
You only adjust the lower cable at installation. Your adjustments should be made with upper cable. The lower should be set to 6 inches in forward. The only thing you should move is the slide on the cable end.

fobes
05-25-2010, 07:42 PM
Jim: Thanks.
When you say 6", how would I make that adjustment? Do I move the canle into forward while off the plate then put the shifter into full forward and fit from there?
Thanks for taking the time, my local marine supply guy says I have all the mechanical aptitude of a push on clothes pin:eek:
Matt

MOBILEMERCMAN
05-25-2010, 07:45 PM
Matt,
Adjust it in forward. The barrel to the stud center to center is 6 inches.

There are a number of places where you can loose the travel you need. The cable from the drive, the cable from control, the intermediate shift shaft, and in the lower unit itself.

fobes
05-26-2010, 04:59 AM
Jim-
Thanks again. I have always heard this is a tough adjustment. I plan on giving it a try later today.

Matt