PDA

View Full Version : what's the fix for this?

old377guy
05-24-2010, 11:58 PM
Hey guys,
The local tire store almost has my wife convinced to buy all new wheels on her 8 year old Lexus. Yes, 2 of the wheels have a slow leak, dropping about a pound a day. There has to be another option. Thanks, Jeff

Chris
05-25-2010, 12:57 AM
There are lots of franchise wheel repair guys that visit the dealer's lots. I googled one a couple weeks ago- my daughter bent a rim on her little BMW. A hundred bucks and it was straight. We met at a dealer's lot he was working at that day. They should be able to fix you up. Just search wheel repair.

rchevelle71
05-25-2010, 08:14 AM
Usually with aluminum, it is corrosion on the bead area. Take it to a good tire shop, they can dismount the tires, wire wheel the bead area, and then there is a liquid rubber type stuff called bead sealer that they can apply. At least this is how we did it 15 years ago when I was busting tires.

DAREDEVIL
05-25-2010, 08:45 AM
Usually with aluminum, it is corrosion on the bead area. Take it to a good tire shop, they can dismount the tires, wire wheel the bead area, and then there is a liquid rubber type stuff called bead sealer that they can apply. At least this is how we did it 15 years ago when I was busting tires.

:iamwithstupid:

rchevelle71
05-25-2010, 10:15 AM
:iamwithstupid:

Who's callin who Stupid ±¥®Œ‰:sifone:

old377guy
05-25-2010, 10:22 AM
thanks guys, I appreciate the help - Jeff

rschap1
05-25-2010, 10:29 AM
It does all depend on where the leak is. Above problem and remedy for the bead is real common. Wifes chrome aluminum Grand Prix wheels developed mysterious troubles after getting new rubber a few years ago. Wrong style of weights was used and hammer on those rims. Correct style weights fixed it. Just took an experienced person to see the trouble. Bent or cracked rims should probably get replaced. There are claimed fixes but you may get into a safety issue. What is insurance company going to say if failure occurs due to a repair job? I would probably just seek a second possibly 3rd opinion also. If 3 reputable tire people say same thing, probably best. Otherwise spring for some ridiculously HUGE DUBS! Maybe 24s :) Really aftermarket rims will be way cheaper and millions of styles to choose compared to high priced factory jobs. GOOD LUCK!

fixxxer22
05-31-2010, 08:53 PM
check the warranty status. ford has a corrosion warranty ( i do not know if it covers wheels) 10 years 150k for any vehicle.. rust or corrosion. seems odd for lexus to reccomend wheels. when i used to bust tires (and still to this day) i use a rolock disc on a right angle die grinder and clean the surface. then paint on some rubber bead sealer. those lexus guys may just not want the dust in the shop.:sifone:

jeffbare
07-24-2010, 09:04 AM
Look on craigslist for used wheels. There are always deals for pennies on the dollar.

jwurl
07-24-2010, 10:22 AM
Put in a little bit of that green slime stuff or fix a flat. Should seal any minor air leaks like that. Jeff Wurl