PDA

View Full Version : XR shifting issues

Quinlan
05-24-2010, 09:36 AM
I am having some shifting issues w my XRs. Cig T/S w stellings boxes.
Some times when I shift it will take a few seconds to KICK in. Some times several seconds. Seems to be worse when they are warm.
It usually is only one way like reverse on one. :confused:

Any thoughts?

Quinlan
06-01-2010, 07:07 PM
If I gun it a little it will kick in gear. Things that make you go HMMMM

MOBILEMERCMAN
06-01-2010, 07:15 PM
Could be lower shift cable going bad.. One thing for sure it will only get worse.

Things that make you go HMMMM Bang it in gear a few to many times and the drive will say BAMM clunk clunk clunk.

Quinlan
06-02-2010, 08:29 AM
So you are talking the cable from the shift plate to the Drive? Is it adjustable?
Gonna check it out this weekend. Thanks

MOBILEMERCMAN
06-02-2010, 09:01 AM
It is set up using special tools. There are only minor adjustments that can be made.. Inspect it where it leaves the bellows and enters the back side of the drive bellhousing. If the outer core is separating where it meets the brass cable end it needs replacement.

There are other possible culprits but, this needs to be ruled out.

Quinlan
06-02-2010, 09:04 AM
Thanks

Quinlan
06-09-2010, 07:48 AM
I had a thought Just put new HD transom asemblies on when I had the motors rebuilt last summer.
Is the lower cable you talk about part of that? Excuse my LACk of knowladge:willy_nilly:
Thanks

MOBILEMERCMAN
06-09-2010, 08:06 AM
Yes, the lower cable would be a part of that.

Quinlan
06-09-2010, 04:07 PM
Cool. Now where to go?
I gonna adjust shift cables this weekend.

LAKE EFFECT
12-04-2010, 06:51 PM
Old post I know, but..FYI

One of my drives was doing the exact same thing. Cable adjustments were fine. Was early in that season, and started to get worse. Pulled the drive apart and replaced the clutch. Definately was the problem, all good since.

The clutch showed very little signs of damage, but the cone face on one side of the clutch was flatter, not as sharp as the other side. Oil couldnt get out fast enough to let the clutch engage.

Probabally happens from engaging the drive in gear with to much RPM. Dont think I did it on those drives, as I bought them used earlier that season.

LE

Quinlan
12-08-2010, 07:53 AM
You are right. Replaced clutch and evrything was good. UNTIL I blew the upper at the Shootout. Life goes on.