PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pressuer Jumped 20 PSI

MacGyver
05-23-2010, 10:27 AM
My '99 Chevy 5.3L suddenly gained 20 PSI of oil pressure. It was always solid at 40 PSI. Now it's 60 PSI driving and 50 PSI at idle hot or cold.

Oil is still honey colored since my last change. I use Amsoil 5W30 with Purolator PureOne filter.

Now, I'm afraid to try towing the boat :(

Any thoughts?

Chris
05-23-2010, 11:04 AM
Change oil filters. You may have had an internal failure. You could be getting very low flow and all your pump's output could be blowing right into the pan through the pump's bypass.

No recent changes? Is the oiling system all stock? I've seen mis-plumbed remote coolers that had the circulation going backwards. That can make a filter fail- usually pretty quickly.

Ratickle
05-23-2010, 11:30 AM
Change oil filters. You may have had an internal failure. You could be getting very low flow and all your pump's output could be blowing right into the pan through the pump's bypass.

No recent changes? Is the oiling system all stock? I've seen mis-plumbed remote coolers that had the circulation going backwards. That can make a filter fail- usually pretty quickly.

Backwards cost me a boat engine:(.......

MacGyver
05-23-2010, 12:02 PM

Nope, all stock truck. I picked up another filter this morning and will change in a few minutes.

Crossing my fingers, toes and eyes that this cures it, LOL!

MacGyver
05-23-2010, 01:30 PM
I wanted to check the drain plug magnet, so I did a complete oil change. The magnet looked fine, oil filter looks fine. Now what....sending unit?

Fricking 81° here and I'm stuck in the garage instead of on the water :boxing_smiley:

BUIZILLA
05-23-2010, 03:14 PM
so ?

MacGyver
05-23-2010, 04:46 PM
Pressure is still high. I need to get my hands on a scan tool and see what the computer is seeing from the sensor. If the sensor is reading high, then a new sensor. If the sensor is reading normal, but the gauge is high, a new stepper motor for the gauge.

MacGyver
05-23-2010, 04:47 PM
I wish I could test the sensor, but the mofo is buried behind the intake. Where the distributer used to be on Chevy's. I can barely see the damn thing.

Donskihp
05-23-2010, 06:23 PM
How does the motor sound at idle while running? Any noiser than it use to be? I've seen a main or rod bearing turn which blocks off an oil passage, thus increases oil pressure.

MacGyver
05-23-2010, 06:34 PM
How does the motor sound at idle while running? Any noiser than it use to be? I've seen a main or rod bearing turn which blocks off an oil passage, thus increases oil pressure.

I've noticed an ever-so-slight knock/slap all the time. I only have 51,606 miles and I wasn't beating the chit out of it the last few days.

MacGyver
05-23-2010, 06:40 PM
I was looking for the location of the sending unit and I found a mouse nest on my intake! Now I'm wondering if the little chit(s) messed with the wiring?

Chris
05-23-2010, 07:48 PM
Mice ate the wiring on my lawn tractor last winter. Again. What is it with vinyl wiring insulation?

MacGyver
05-24-2010, 01:20 PM
Mice ate the wiring on my lawn tractor last winter. Again. What is it with vinyl wiring insulation?

I had a service call at a McD's for a lot light that kept tripping the breaker. Mice had climbed the three wires dangling 25' down from the top of the pole and made a nice mouse house in the 4" X 4" crossarm at the top of the pole. And yes, most of the wires insulation in the crossarm was missing. How they managed to climb up those three wires is amazing.

MacGyver
05-24-2010, 01:25 PM
I have a strong feeling the sending units wire was gnawed into and the road grime on the wiring harness is giving the elevated reading. Now I just need to remove all the pretty plastic crap on top of the engine to check into this.

I'm gonna be pissed if I missed a great boating day over a fricking mouse :smash:

MacGyver
05-24-2010, 03:39 PM
Oh well. The wiring is all intact. Time to throw parts at it!