PDA

View Full Version : 38 avs seat tank size???

tcuda499
05-22-2010, 09:58 PM
hey,
I have a what looks to be a factory fuel tank under the rear seat. Looks pretty big but I cant read the manufacture label to see what size it is. I can see its the same make as the other three tanks,Florida marine tanks,inc. I know the main tank is 144 gal,and the port and starboard tanks are 25 gal each. I dont want to run it dry just in case thers some debris in there. anyone have an idea?

old377guy
05-22-2010, 10:13 PM
are you POSITIVE its not the fresh water tank?

DAREDEVIL
05-22-2010, 10:31 PM
are you POSITIVE its not the fresh water tank?

:iagree:....no way its a fuel tank under the rear seat ????:confused:

tcuda499
05-23-2010, 12:49 AM
R U serious?????:ack2: I've been an auto tech for 20 year, I think I know the difference between the two. The fresh water tank is at the left front of the cockpit, the fill is actually on/in the pass dash panel,if thats whats its called.Yes,I believe the tank wasn't there from the factory. looking at the install you can tell it was added after the fact. I can read the Manufacture label on the tank but only partial B/C the tank strap goes right over it. Its the same label on ALL 4 tanks and is also connected to a large 2" fuel hose that goes up to the topside of the gunwale to a filler cap MARKED FUEL.It also has two fuel lines out of the tank that go directly to the fuel manifold valves in the engine compartment. If you've never seen a scarab fuel manifold its quite the specticle. theres more levers and ball valves than a submarine has LOL. Anywaaaaaaaaaays, yes its def a fuel tank. looks about 40 to 60 gals. I put 30 gals into it last night but not all the senders are operating at this time,thats gonna be fun to rewire:confused:Thanks

jhenrie
05-23-2010, 08:43 AM
Genny tank?

anchor
05-23-2010, 10:59 AM
The tank would have been added aftermarket. We just finished some work on a 38 that had the fuel tank under the back seat. We took it out for the customer.....gives you back a ton of needed storage. If you do not need the capacity I would recommend only using the main tank...we have sold several 38's over the years and most customers fill the saddle tanks and only use them in an emergency the problem is that it is usually a few years later and the fuel is shot so they get towed in anyway.

Cigboat#1
05-23-2010, 03:43 PM
You probably have the distinction of having a Bolivian Marching Dust Boat Or a Long distance people hauler..... Those boats were notorious for having extra tanks put in after the factory!!! Do you have any history on the boat as to where it was used ----Location??? Its a really good chance that boat has been to Cuba---- Just a Guess mind you. Check out Boating Mag. March 2009 I think thats right....

Jim

P.S. Not used for fishing!

old377guy
05-23-2010, 04:48 PM
ok,ok, I believe you:rolleyes:

Bobcat
05-23-2010, 05:26 PM
Hey ! the more history the better Eh?;)

tcuda499
05-24-2010, 10:40 AM
:cheers2:
ok,ok, I believe you:rolleyes:

cheers:cheers2:

tcuda499
05-24-2010, 10:59 AM
The tank would have been added aftermarket. We just finished some work on a 38 that had the fuel tank under the back seat. We took it out for the customer.....gives you back a ton of needed storage. If you do not need the capacity I would recommend only using the main tank...we have sold several 38's over the years and most customers fill the saddle tanks and only use them in an emergency the problem is that it is usually a few years later and the fuel is shot so they get towed in anyway.

thats probaly what i will do.I will need the storage.no real need for 250 plus gals of fuel.the 38's you speak of,are they scarabs with the seat tanks?

tcuda499
05-24-2010, 11:05 AM
[QUOTE=Cigboat#1;499488]You probably have the distinction of having a Bolivian Marching Dust Boat Or a Long distance people hauler..... Those boats were notorious for having extra tanks put in after the factory!!! Do you have any history on the boat as to where it was used ----Location??? Its a really good chance that boat has been to Cuba---- Just a Guess mind you. Check out Boating Mag. March 2009 I think thats right....

Jim

yes,
first in Md w/ 1100 inovations and #6's. than to Ca to Boostpower for a rerig w/500 efi's and bravos in 02.than Az for a few years than to Va for a year and now mine in CT. There are some cuban cigars I found in the cabin though....:sifone:

Cigboat#1
05-25-2010, 01:35 PM
GaHa,HaHa,Ha Thats funny!

Jim

anchor
05-25-2010, 01:59 PM
thats probaly what i will do.I will need the storage.no real need for 250 plus gals of fuel.the 38's you speak of,are they scarabs with the seat tanks?

Yes....38 AVS, we have been a Wellcraft dealer since 1978.

tcuda499
05-26-2010, 10:24 PM
Yes....38 AVS, we have been a Wellcraft dealer since 1978.

about what size tanks are they? when I remove it is therre a market for it? It will prob fit other boats or should I scrap it for the aluminum?

Shallow Minded
06-16-2010, 07:41 PM
Late to the party, but just stumbled on this thread... my 38 AVS has a tank under the rear bench, but I'm 99% it's for freshwater. Could you post a pic? I'm curious to see it! SM

tcuda499
06-16-2010, 09:14 PM
SM,
I can get some pics probaly up for thursday.
want to thank Matt for the info on removing the rear bench:cheers2: gonna get it out next week and build a cooler that will fit snuggly in the seat. just big enough to hold 2 30 packs plus some food and other beverages:sifone:

JETJOCK
06-26-2010, 12:41 AM
I spent 8 months in Bolivia.......one of the reasons I own my Scarab.

"Im just saying"

:)

tcuda499
06-26-2010, 10:34 PM
I spent 8 months in Bolivia.......one of the reasons I own my Scarab.

"Im just saying"

:)

What????:ack2: I think that was way over my head.:confused:
anyway got the seat tank out,no cooler but has ton of storage now. put a big AGM batt in there for a house batt so I dont have to worry about killing the starting batts. anyone interested in a seat tank? 50 gal