PDA

View Full Version : Drive Trim Indicator?

paston1
05-19-2010, 12:30 PM
Well here I go showing my ignorance again. Our boat 1979 Carrera SS7M doesnt have a drive trim indicator installed. I really would like one but have know idea where to start. The drive is TRS. I dont want anything fancy just would like to have an idea for baseline setups. Any ideas are appreciated.

MOBILEMERCMAN
05-19-2010, 12:35 PM
Here is mercs drive end.. Look around Bam site for dash panel.. Or Livorsi has them too.

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_Pictures3.asp?dnbr=891720&ivar=images/COMMON/15114.png&inbr=8504&bnbr=4&bdesc=Actuator+Kit%28846063A+1%29

htrdlncn
05-19-2010, 12:39 PM
any cable (throttle/shifter) long enough to go from drive to dash will work,
figure a way to attach to drive and then mark off the other end of the cable
to show neutral pos and neg trim.
So long as you dont mind the way it looks you can get it done for under $100
unless you have a spare cable laying around in which case it could end up being almost free.

If you buy the actual Merc/aftermarket peices look to spend $500+ ,,
will look prettier but work the same.

paston1
05-19-2010, 02:47 PM
Well I like inexpensive fixes. That makes good since. I can dress it up some. Any body have some old parts laying around?

DAREDEVIL
05-21-2010, 01:29 AM
Well I like inexpensive fixes. That makes good since. I can dress it up some. Any body have some old parts laying around?

Find a company called bluewater inc. on the internet..they build them for all of the manufacturs and are like 40% cheaper..lol:cheers2:
Or build your own...its actually easy..if i would not have one already and knew what i know today..i would of build mine !!

Biggus
05-21-2010, 06:23 AM
Eddie Marine makes a drive trim actuator that is identical to the grossly over priced Merc item. #295-40

http://www.eddiemarine.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=13699&c=75

paston1
05-21-2010, 08:16 AM
Ok more ignorance coming on, So I decide to buy the one from Eddie Marine and get it installed how do I really know what the numbers mean? What I guess I am saying is do I start at parallel to the ground?

DAREDEVIL
05-21-2010, 10:01 AM
Ok more ignorance coming on, So I decide to buy the one from Eddie Marine and get it installed how do I really know what the numbers mean? What I guess I am saying is do I start at parallel to the ground?

U can adjust it , by sliding it back or forth on the ram...this is how :

U bolt it on and set everything up ( hook it up ), leave it loose enough to slide but not to loose...
then u set your drive level with the bottom of the hull ( straight edge / long straight 2X4 ), make shure the prop shaft is level with the hull bottom.....
Then slide it to where it reads 0 on your indicator pannel ( if u have one that is -3/0/+7 ), slide it to it reads 3 ( if u have one that is 0-9 ) !!!!!
Then thighten it up to the ram !!!!!!

Instaling cable, massure the length of cable needet..from back of the drive ram, to the spot on your dash where u want the pannel and of coarse inside the boat where u actually route it along ...give it a foot more for bends...to long ( is ok ) to short ( will not work ) ......
Then buy a cable thru hull fitting ...( the ones with the ruber gasket inside are the best ).....drill a hole just as big as the cable in to the transom ( if not already one in it ) , drill in a angle up from outside in ..... make shure the hole is at the spot over the ram where the indicator mounts on ( aslo ..ABOVE WATER LINE )...

See picture !!!!!!
( on one of them u see the pannel )
Hope this helps ?!

paston1
05-21-2010, 10:07 AM
That is a huge help. I am a visual learner. I really appreciate the help.

DAREDEVIL
05-21-2010, 01:47 PM
That is a huge help. I am a visual learner. I really appreciate the help.

U need any more input, PM me !!!!!! i will try my best to help !:cheers2: