PDA

View Full Version : Is this BS or what?

old377guy
05-17-2010, 04:16 PM
I have a 1994 K3500 extended cab with 454. Vehicle runs great no real problems. I was getting ready to do some maintenance (oil/filter change, diff. and transfer case top offs, etc.) and went to a local transmission shop to do a simple pan drop and filter change. The guy said oil was burnt, trans was throwing a 1870 code and that I likely needed a new torque converter. He buttoned up the pan with the old fluid and didn't charge me anything and mentioned that putting new fluid in may cause the tranny to fail. Now he seemed an ok guy, but I have a few suspicions. 1.) I check my trans fluid religiously and it does not nor has it ever looked bad or even smelled the slightest bit burnt or any acrid scent. 2.) I just had three other people today (NAPA guy, a regular repair shop guy, and a Chevy service department guy) inspect the oil and all said it looks and smells fine. 3.) No engine check light came on. 4.) The truck runs perfectly AND I drive it like an old lady - never over 60 and never over 53 when towing and never in overdrive when towing. 5.) I googled chev code 1870 and its a generic code and mostly related to valve body/slippage issues. SO, what should I do? - change the fluid, get a new torque converter, dismiss this guy's opinion, dive it till it starts slipping? Thanks in advance. Jeff

fixxxer22
05-17-2010, 04:41 PM
dismiss first of all. Many codes can come from little intermittents or in a chevys case... they have been well know to dry out seals and such from sitting. we used to pour a cap full of brake fluid to make the seals swell and put a band aid on them for awhile. to get back to the code. that is a generic slip code. i would not go for the torque converter in that case. i would verify the concern and follow the correct pinpoint test. at then end if it all passes i would chalk it up to an intermittent concern, possible calibration issue, or false code. some codes can just show during low battery voltage. change the fluid and filter. do it every 30k no matter how you drive. and it was mostly chrysler products that in the early 90s would gum up and have deposits in places. customers would neglect them until about 100k and change the fluid. the high detergent level of new fluid would break some of those deposits and they would clog ports in the valve bodies and have insufficient pressures where needed. then would fail. i had a 1998 chevy that i bought. it had 128k on it never had the fluid changed before me. i changed it every oil change for the first 3 changes i had the truck (just to get it all new and replaced) no a problem.

i guess what i am saying in a nutshell is i dont like trans shops. they seem to be a little inferior to the dealer and lack special tools. i would keep my eye on it but not start throwing parts at it unless there is a constant problem.

old377guy
05-17-2010, 04:51 PM
thanks fixxer. you gave me just what I needed - some perspective. Jeff

MILD THUNDER
05-17-2010, 07:53 PM
I'd drive it till it gave you signs of slipping or something else. If it shifts good, no slipping, dont fix what aint broken!

old377guy
05-17-2010, 08:01 PM
I'd drive it till it gave you signs of slipping or something else. If it shifts good, no slipping, dont fix what aint broken!

kinda what I was thinkin of MILD