PDA

View Full Version : IMP 31 questions

Mange
11-26-2008, 12:16 PM
Some questions to the old school cowboys over here:sifone:
A friend of mine owns a 31 IMP 1989. We are trying to figure out
from what hull it has it's roots. First I was thinking 27 magnum (as usual).
But now I am more in to it comes from the 24x7 hull.

Please help me out here guys:)

Big thanks
Mange

Some pics:

Mange
11-26-2008, 12:19 PM
One more photo when the boat was raced i Finland.
I know the boat was raced in USA to. Anyone knows this particular
boat?

Thanks
Mange

Sea-Dated
11-26-2008, 12:31 PM
We used to sell these boats in the late 80's. The 310 was a fun boat but I do not know the history of the hull.

Brownie
11-26-2008, 01:51 PM
IMP, Iola Molded Plastics, was a sister company to Magnum Marine, when owned by APECO. Circa 1970,-72

h2oMag
11-26-2008, 06:30 PM
One more photo when the boat was raced i Finland.
I know the boat was raced in USA to. Anyone knows this particular
boat?

Thanks
Mange

Mange if the name says Cheap Thrills that was my friends Rich's & Steve's IMP from Ohio. This Imp was also the photo boat for there cataloge. And yes it came from a Magnum.

2TR
11-26-2008, 10:22 PM
Couple pics -

Lakeside
11-27-2008, 11:17 AM
Nice pics guys .. :)

Mange
11-27-2008, 12:03 PM
IMP, Iola Molded Plastics, was a sister company to Magnum Marine, when owned by APECO. Circa 1970,-72

Thanks Brownie,

Did IMP perform well in racing?

Mark,
Sure, it says "Cheap Thrills":) Amazing as small world!!
Do you have anymore info or even better some pictures of
this IMP? My friend will be very happy when I tell him you guys
know his boat.

Thanks to both of you!!:)

Mange

2TR
11-27-2008, 01:15 PM
I was told from another SOS member that the 31 IMP bottom was pulled from the 30 something late 70's Cigarette hull, He's a pretty "in the know" kind of guy but was was not 100% sure; maybe he will chime in.

couple more pic's.

This boat belongs to Scotty who runs the wheel on my Race boat. It's one Clean IMP. With a couple 502 GM crate motors. It runs 67/70mpg at WOT and is a wave crusher.

Mange
11-27-2008, 01:18 PM
I was told from another SOS member that the 31 IMP bottom was pulled from the 30 something late 70's Cigarette hull, He's a pretty "in the know" kind of guy but was was not 100% sure; maybe he will chime in.

couple more pic's.

This boat belongs to Scotty who runs the wheel on my Race boat. It's one Clean IMP. With a couple 502 GM crate motors. It runs 67/70mpg at WOT and is a wave crusher.

Thanks for info 2TR:)

Your friends IMP looks nice

//M

h2oMag
11-27-2008, 04:15 PM
Thanks Brownie,

Did IMP perform well in racing?

Mark,
Sure, it says "Cheap Thrills":) Amazing as small world!!
Do you have anymore info or even better some pictures of
this IMP? My friend will be very happy when I tell him you guys
know his boat.

Thanks to both of you!!:)

Mange

Rich was a Silver Cup Offshore Referee with me for the last 10 years, sadly Steve died about 10 years ago. I sent Rich a email for more info. They also raced this Mag as Cheap Thrills before the IMP.

Mange
11-27-2008, 04:28 PM
Rich was a Silver Cup Offshore Referee with me for the last 10 years, sadly Steve died about 10 years ago. I sent Rich a email for more info. They also raced this Mag as Cheap Thrills before the IMP.

Sorry to hear about your friend.

That's nice to know the guys had a REAL raceboat to:biggrinjester:

I really appreciate your help with this:) My friend are more than happy
now

Thanks
Mange

northernoffshore
11-27-2008, 07:55 PM
excalibur 31?

Mange
11-27-2008, 08:22 PM
excalibur 31?

More likely 27 Excalibur maybe. The 27 Excalibur is a stretched
24x7.

I think the 31 Excalibur is a Jean Claude Simon design.
:)

Mange

MikeyFIN
12-15-2008, 10:32 AM
Squadron 27 then?

VICIOUS
02-08-2009, 09:02 PM
I have a mold for a 31' / 32' Excalibur sure looks like the same boat with a extra body line and a little fair in the bow, sure would not be hard to do on a plug boat.
I would say Excalibur also.:dupe:

BradH
02-08-2009, 11:54 PM

That's a really good looking boat. Love the lines.

Tempest38
02-27-2009, 01:26 AM
They were buit in Iola, Kansas. was a old timer here in town (Wichita) that worked for them back in the day

wildman
02-27-2009, 02:52 AM
I believe that Joey Buttafuoco's boat "DOUBLE TROUBLE" was a 31 IMP.

FunHome
02-27-2009, 10:57 PM
Mange if the name says Cheap Thrills that was my friends Rich's & Steve's IMP from Ohio. This Imp was also the photo boat for there cataloge. And yes it came from a Magnum.

I have a poster of it somewhere, I'll look for it!!
(Rich's daughter sent it to me years ago)

h2oMag
02-28-2009, 03:08 AM
I have a poster of it somewhere, I'll look for it!!
(Rich's daughter sent it to me years ago)

I have one too but it's to big to scan. Rich say's that he will still send some pic's when he gets a scaner ???

goldeneyee
01-12-2011, 08:43 AM
I was a dealer for IMP from 1988 through 1991 and we were the second largest in the country. Raymonds, at Lake of the Ozarks was #1. In the late eighties the company had changed its name to International Marine Products Inc. During the recession of 90-91, IMP went into bankruptcy although it later emerged it did not last long. The 31 was called an Eleganza ( later renamed Viper) and I was told it was pulled from a 27 Magnum hull. Rode just like a 27 Magnum--flat and stable. The factory raced a boat powered with 420HP Mercs in 1990-91 and although a low budget operation it did quite well. Several others were raced on the great lakes with success. The boat was built like a tank and was a real wave crusher. IMP had 2 molds for the 31 and the better mold was worth a couple of miles per hour.

OneBadInjun
01-12-2011, 04:23 PM
27 Magnum...just like many, many others came from.

Gordo
01-13-2011, 07:55 PM
Goldden Eye is right on. I have a friend that worked for IMP many years ago In fact he drove most of the boats while pics were taken for the last Factory brochure. The last time I was at the old factory, (I have family in Iola Ks.) there were still a few old molds sitting outside of the old tin buildings.

4FX
01-13-2011, 10:31 PM
@H2OMag The Cheap Thrills magnum was raced in what A class then Mike Huffman Sr. bought it and named it L.A. Express very fast A class boat then it sat when he baught the 32 (I think) Carrera with Arnesons for B class named Let it Roll.
That boat the Magnum Cheap Thrills sat down the street from me for a few years at Bill Opalich's house and I did some work on it when I was in HS. Man that was awesome having all those race teams in my neighbor back in the day down by CLYC.

Mange VERY NICE looking old school ride!!! Enjoy that piece of racing history

I've been wanting to buy and restore the 30' Corsa that was raced as Rascal for some time but it'll take ALOT to bring her back, she still sits in Bobby O's driveway 20 tears now just sitting......

Troy

h2oMag
01-14-2011, 12:55 AM
@H2OMag The Cheap Thrills magnum was raced in what A class then Mike Huffman Sr. bought it and named it L.A. Express very fast A class boat then it sat when he baught the 32 (I think) Carrera with Arnesons for B class named Let it Roll.
That boat the Magnum Cheap Thrills sat down the street from me for a few years at Bill Opalich's house and I did some work on it when I was in HS. Man that was awesome having all those race teams in my neighbor back in the day down by CLYC.

Mange VERY NICE looking old school ride!!! Enjoy that piece of racing history

I've been wanting to buy and restore the 30' Corsa that was raced as Rascal for some time but it'll take ALOT to bring her back, she still sits in Bobby O's driveway 20 tears now just sitting......

Troy

The Cheap Thrills Mag of Mikes was the Mad Mother Mag of Fread Falk. This Lake St Clair Mag ran in the APBA P class 1980 to 1984. I hear the Carrera is still sitting in a boat yard by East Lake Ohio. Mike had Arnesons on her but changed to Bravos drives, with not much luck and gave up on her. :eek: