PDA

View Full Version : Old School Dually

MILD THUNDER
05-13-2010, 06:02 PM
What do you guys think? Been shopping for a bargain tow rig for a while. Found this truck locally. Went to look at it, truck is CLEAN. No rust anywhere. 1989 454 TBI, TH400, 120k miles. Couldnt really find anything wrong with the truck. Hoses and belts are new, everything under the hood is factory and original, factory stereo, a/c, tires are good. Still has stock exhaust with GM resonator too. Underside looks like it never saw snow. One quarter sized ding in the pass door, and thats it for body damage, with the exception of some minor rock chips in the paint. Looks to have a upgraded tranny cooler up front and a additional electric cooling fan.

What would you guys think a fair price would be??

Buoy
05-13-2010, 07:37 PM
What do you guys think? Been shopping for a bargain tow rig for a while. Found this truck locally. Went to look at it, truck is CLEAN. No rust anywhere. 1989 454 TBI, TH400, 120k miles. Couldnt really find anything wrong with the truck. Hoses and belts are new, everything under the hood is factory and original, factory stereo, a/c, tires are good. Still has stock exhaust with GM resonator too. Underside looks like it never saw snow. One quarter sized ding in the pass door, and thats it for body damage, with the exception of some minor rock chips in the paint. Looks to have a upgraded tranny cooler up front and a additional electric cooling fan.

What would you guys think a fair price would be??

I'd try to throw out a 3500-4500. I think that would be fair for that truck.

old377guy
05-17-2010, 03:41 PM
I would offer even less ($3000) but you couldn't go very far wrong for $3500-$4000. BTW, how many towing miles would you do per year and what weight of boat and trailer? Good luck. Jeff

MILD THUNDER
05-17-2010, 07:50 PM
I would offer even less ($3000) but you couldn't go very far wrong for $3500-$4000. BTW, how many towing miles would you do per year and what weight of boat and trailer? Good luck. Jeff

Towing a older 38 Fountain on a myco trailer. Probably around 500-1000 miles per season towing. I imagine the boat and trailer to be around 11-12k lbs???

old377guy
05-17-2010, 08:02 PM
Towing a older 38 Fountain on a myco trailer. Probably around 500-1000 miles per season towing. I imagine the boat and trailer to be around 11-12k lbs???

sounds a lot like my situation; an older dually does the deal for ya

Dude! Sweet!
05-17-2010, 11:12 PM
Buddy of mine has been rolling around in an early '80s dually with the ZZ top eliminator paint for years. The thing is indestructible!

MILD THUNDER
05-19-2010, 09:23 PM
If all goes well i'll be takin her home tomorrow. :driving:

old377guy
05-20-2010, 05:30 PM
how much, MILD?

MILD THUNDER
05-21-2010, 10:04 AM
how much, MILD?

Picked up the old wagon yesterday for 3300. Took it over to my buddys shop, to change out a leaky seal on the backside of the drum. Pulled it apart and SOB, all the bearings looked like crap. Looked like the diff fluid hadnt been changed in a LOOONG time. So, replaced brakes shoes,all bearings, races, and seals, cleaned diff housing out real good, and filled with fresh lube. Ring and pinion and diff gears looked good once i brake cleaned them. No pitting or anything weird. Rear end is quiet, so we'll see. Not what i had planned to do the first day i bought it, but glad i caught it, cuz the way those bearings looked, I woulda smoked it in no time.

BTW, Those drums are friggin heavy on these duallies! Engine runs smooth, power feels good. Tranny shifts like it should. Front end is tight. Tires have 50% or so tread left.

Has some little stuff im gonna fix or replace, but hey, thats why this one was 3300 and new ones are 60k right?

DAREDEVIL
05-21-2010, 10:12 AM
Picked up the old wagon yesterday for 3300. Took it over to my buddys shop, to change out a leaky seal on the backside of the drum. Pulled it apart and SOB, all the bearings looked like crap. Looked like the diff fluid hadnt been changed in a LOOONG time. So, replaced brakes shoes,all bearings, races, and seals, cleaned diff housing out real good, and filled with fresh lube. Ring and pinion and diff gears looked good once i brake cleaned them. No pitting or anything weird. Rear end is quiet, so we'll see. Not what i had planned to do the first day i bought it, but glad i caught it, cuz the way those bearings looked, I woulda smoked it in no time.

BTW, Those drums are friggin heavy on these duallies! Engine runs smooth, power feels good. Tranny shifts like it should. Front end is tight. Tires have 50% or so tread left.

Has some little stuff im gonna fix or replace, but hey, thats why this one was 3300 and new ones are 60k right?

GLAD U GOT YUOR TRUCK......now get-r-done..oh,,don't forget to install a freak'n sound system !! LOL and some extra lights and make it look cool..hehehehe

:sifone:

MILD THUNDER
05-21-2010, 10:14 AM
GLAD U GOT YUOR TRUCK......now get-r-done..oh,,don't forget to install a freak'n sound system !! LOL and some extra lights and make it look cool..hehehehe

:sifone:

For sure, gonna have to add a series of amber running lights along those running boards for the big rig look!

Magic Medicine
05-21-2010, 12:59 PM
Joe,

That thing is sick. Would have looked great pulling the beagle!!!! You need to put a CB in that puppy asap. When are we taking it downtown to go clubbin??

drpete3
05-21-2010, 01:09 PM
looks like a sweet buy

MILD THUNDER
05-25-2010, 09:08 PM
Joe,

That thing is sick. Would have looked great pulling the beagle!!!! You need to put a CB in that puppy asap. When are we taking it downtown to go clubbin??

Oh ya, need a big old whip antenna

Davidmnc
05-25-2010, 09:16 PM
Chrome air horns too!!!!!

DAREDEVIL
05-25-2010, 10:15 PM
DON't forget the redneck flag on the back !!!!!!!!!! LOL:sifone:

Magic Medicine
07-09-2010, 01:12 PM
DON't forget the redneck flag on the back !!!!!!!!!! LOL:sifone:

Not going to happen on the South Side of Chi-town, even if he's the biggest
deago I know:sifone:

Roger 1
07-09-2010, 01:44 PM
Does it have an "eight track"?

Tony M
07-13-2010, 09:09 AM
Oh ya, need a big old whip antenna1 on Each miror twin Stacks 3" at least curb finders limo tint on the windows and some of those dingel balls that the mexicans put in there windows now your PIMPIN ! :sifone: :cheers2:.

420NytroBoy69
07-13-2010, 06:07 PM
The dually is the cat's pajamas!!! You got a great truck joe.:cheers2:

Magic Medicine
09-15-2010, 01:45 PM
The dually is the cat's pajamas!!! You got a great truck joe.:cheers2:

very nice, Old sckool