PDA

View Full Version : 39' Chris Craft Scorpion Rebuild

jetcruzr
05-09-2010, 02:41 PM
Hello to Everyone on this forum. I am a "newbie" to this site, as well as forums in general. I must say that I am absolutely addicted to this site. I have especially enjoyed reading the "Why Are Apaches So Great" thread, as well as all of the "Thad Allen" stuff from "Steve1".

I am in the process of reconstructing a 1983 Chris Craft Scorpion(because I cannot afford an Apache right now, haha). I will post pictures of the project as I go. I would surely appreciate talking with anyone who is interested in my project or anyone who knows about these rare boats.

Thank You,

Tom

Ratickle
05-09-2010, 02:43 PM
Welcome Tom. I have one of those too....

Can't wait to see more of your project.....

jetcruzr
05-09-2010, 02:49 PM
Here is the floating rotbucket leaving the previous owners dock on Lake Erie, headed for it's new home on Lake St Claire.
http://i457.photobucket.com/albums/qq291/jetcruzr/IMG_1534-1.jpg

jetcruzr
05-09-2010, 02:54 PM
Here is a pic from about a month ago while stripping the "cancer" out.
http://i457.photobucket.com/albums/qq291/jetcruzr/Scorpion%20Pix/IMG_2078.jpg

jetcruzr
05-09-2010, 02:56 PM
Engine bay nearly stripped out.
http://i457.photobucket.com/albums/qq291/jetcruzr/Scorpion%20Pix/IMG_2174.jpg

jetcruzr
05-09-2010, 03:08 PM
Professionals, feel free to chime in! I will be running the existing TRS drives for now. Should I consider raising the drives while I have the opportunity? I understand that this boat is never going to be a racer, but could I possibly see some increase in performance here? The bottom of the drive cutout in the transom is appx 6" above the notch in the transom, measured from the inside of the boat. What would be a target "X dimension" for this boat?

DAREDEVIL
05-09-2010, 03:39 PM
I will not tell u what to do, but if would be mine...i either raise them 1.5 inches or buy some bravo I's !!!

Also , i hope u set a cratle under the hull so it stays straight....u cut everything out and it will sag down... :eek:

By no means am i a pro tough !!!!!

Also relize by raising the drives u have to raise the engines as well !!!

jetcruzr
05-09-2010, 04:02 PM
Thanks for the input DD. I do realize that I would have to raise the engines as well, I just figured that it may be worth doing at this time. The boat is very well supported underneath. Thanks again.

DAREDEVIL
05-09-2010, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the input DD. I do realize that I would have to raise the engines as well, I just figured that it may be worth doing at this time. The boat is very well supported underneath. Thanks again.

An other question i have..lol...if u have a chris craft why do u use a apache avatar ?? :sifone:

jetcruzr
05-09-2010, 04:22 PM
The answer to your question is twofold. The first reason is because I am a newbie and connot get the real pic that I wanted to use, to upload. The second reason is that I am an Apache addict. Although I don't currently own one, my goal is to own at least one, some day. I guess that makes me a wannabee for now. I would really rather have my own avatar, and was somewhat reluctant to use the Apache avatar. Once I figure this thing out, I will fix it.

jetcruzr
05-09-2010, 05:41 PM
An other question i have..lol...if u have a chris craft why do u use a apache avatar ?? :sifone:

I figured it out. This is the avatar I really wanted. This is me in my Grand Prix Hydroplane on the Detroit River in 2003. I won the DYC Silver Cup this race. I don't mean to brag, but it was a proud day for me and my team.

Ratickle
05-09-2010, 06:05 PM
I figured it out. This is the avatar I really wanted. This is me in my Grand Prix Hydroplane on the Detroit River in 2003. I won the DYC Silver Cup this race. I don't mean to brag, but it was a proud day for me and my team.

Sweet...

Do you still race Grand Prix??????

MOBILEMERCMAN
05-09-2010, 06:14 PM
Jetcruzr, First I would like to Welcome you. Then I would like to suggest you to start a thread in the glass section and post your progress. I have one running now. Jeffsway has a popular thread raising the X dimension. His is finished. There are a few more too.

jetcruzr
05-09-2010, 06:15 PM
I retired from racing in 2005, as the sport was dying. The class has recently seen new growth and support, so I am currently building a new boat to race in the the 2011 or 2012 season...as if the Scorpion project wasn't enough!

Ratickle
05-09-2010, 06:16 PM
Jetcruzr, First I would like to Welcome you. Then I would like to suggest you to start a thread in the glass section and post your progress. I have one running now. Jeffsway has a popular thread raising the X dimension.

I told him to start it on the Dock because he's a Newbie, from MI, and has an 83 39' Scorpion (like someone else I know).....:)

We can always move it.....:)

DAREDEVIL
05-09-2010, 06:20 PM

Sweet. i guess your faster then most of us on water ...lol:sifone:

jetcruzr
05-09-2010, 06:27 PM
Sweet. i guess your faster then most of us on water ...lol:sifone:
Right now the only thing that I own that floats and runs is a little 23 Nova which I am selling to fund these projects, so I am not faster than anybody right now! Haha

DAREDEVIL
05-09-2010, 06:28 PM
Right now the only thing that I own that floats and runs is a little 23 Nova which I am selling to fund these projects, so I am not faster than anybody right now! Haha

OK,,,,my boat isn't running at all right now...so thats 1.lol

and u at least went faster then most of us before !:cheers2:

phragle
05-09-2010, 06:40 PM
DD, Ocean city is in a couple short weeks...I suggest you stop fondling the mouse and start twisting the wrench

PatriYacht
05-11-2010, 08:24 AM
Jetcruzr, Great to see another guy in the neighborhood into these big boats. Do you have a shop over on Hatchery Rd?

jetcruzr
05-11-2010, 08:27 AM
Jetcruzr, Great to see another guy in the neighborhood into these big boats. Do you have a shop over on Hatchery Rd?

Yep, that is me. Where are you located? Feel free to stop in if you see the shop open.

Tommy

fund razor
05-11-2010, 08:29 AM
Hello to Everyone on this forum. I am a "newbie" to this site, as well as forums in general. I must say that I am absolutely addicted to this site. I have especially enjoyed reading the "Why Are Apaches So Great" thread, as well as all of the "Thad Allen" stuff from "Steve1".

I am in the process of reconstructing a 1983 Chris Craft Scorpion(because I cannot afford an Apache right now, haha). I will post pictures of the project as I go. I would surely appreciate talking with anyone who is interested in my project or anyone who knows about these rare boats.

Thank You,

Tom

I always loved those boats. Thanks for saving one. :USA:

Welcome to the forum.

jetcruzr
05-11-2010, 08:36 AM
Thanks for the comment Fund. Yeah, they are a good looking boat and very rare. Although I have not confirmed it, I am told there were only 38 of them ever built, so I feel that she is worthy of being saved.

PatriYacht
05-11-2010, 09:06 AM
I'm on Lotus Lake. Near the water tower. The Black Thunder is in the driveway.:) One of my old neighbors told me about someone who had hydroplanes in a building over there. I guess he was talking about you. There's a few offshores in Waterford. Thanks for the invite, I'll try to make it by sometime. Ian Blain

jetcruzr
05-11-2010, 09:19 AM
I'm on Lotus Lake. Near the water tower. The Black Thunder is in the driveway.:) One of my old neighbors told me about someone who had hydroplanes in a building over there. I guess he was talking about you. There's a few offshores in Waterford. Thanks for the invite, I'll try to make it by sometime. Ian Blain

Ironic to hear from you. A good friend of mine told telling me yesterday, about this huge offshore boat in the driveway down the street from his parents house, although he did not know what kind it was. I told him that we would have to drive by and investigate it. Even more ironic, is that my sponsor/partner, when I was racing, lives on the island near you. Small world.

Tommy

PatriYacht
05-11-2010, 10:05 AM
Would that partner happen to be John Moody?

PatriYacht
05-11-2010, 10:07 AM
Sorry for the hijack everyone.:D

jetcruzr
05-11-2010, 10:29 AM
Sorry for the hijack everyone.:D
It would in fact be John Moody. John and Kathy are great people. They have been very generous to me and my team.

PatriYacht
05-11-2010, 02:00 PM
We talk to John fairly often. He's always out walking his dogs around the time I get home from work. Ask him about his new Porsche.:cool:

MOBILEMERCMAN
06-19-2010, 04:33 PM
Tom, It was great to meet you in Sunny Isle. I wonder if you will make St. Clair.

Have you had a chance to make any progress on your project?

jetcruzr
06-19-2010, 07:31 PM
Tom, It was great to meet you in Sunny Isle. I wonder if you will make St. Clair.

Have you had a chance to make any progress on your project?

Hello Jim,

It was nice to finally meet you as well. Unfortunatly, I was not able to see you race on Sunday, as I had to work. As far as my project goes, I am waiting on coring material right now. I should have the material in another week. I plan to come watch in Harrison and St Claire, so I will probably see you there and bend your ear some more. Thanks for the help and advice so far.

Talk to you soon,

Tommy

Ratickle
06-20-2010, 11:25 AM
Hello Jim,

It was nice to finally meet you as well. Unfortunatly, I was not able to see you race on Sunday, as I had to work. As far as my project goes, I am waiting on coring material right now. I should have the material in another week. I plan to come watch in Harrison and St Claire, so I will probably see you there and bend your ear some more. Thanks for the help and advice so far.

Talk to you soon,

Tommy

I'm also assuming you will be at the Gold Cup in Detroit?

Racing maybe??????

Offshore Ginger
06-20-2010, 02:34 PM
Jetcruzr , welcome and glad to see that there is another person here that lives in Mich on SOS .:bump::seeya:

Ratickle
06-20-2010, 02:34 PM
Jetcruzr , welcome and glad to see that there is another person here that lives in Mich on SOS .:bump::seeya:

From the looks of his interior, he may need some of your help.....:sifone:

jetcruzr
06-21-2010, 09:29 AM
Paul, nice to have met you in SIB. I will most definately be at the Gold Cup Races, however, I will not be racing there unfortunatly. My race boat consists of only a few molded pieces that have not even been mounted to the jig yet, so I probably won't be ready to race until the 2012 season. The Grand Prix class, which is the class I race, is not part of the schedule in Detroit yet. They are trying to get the GP's back on in Detroit, so hopefully they can work it out by the time I am done with my boat.

jetcruzr
06-21-2010, 09:39 AM

Hello Ginger,

Thanks for checking out my thread. As you can see, I have a sizable project to contend with. I plan to start installing the transom and stringers in the next couple of weeks. Like Paul says, it is only a matter of time before I am asking you for some type of advice. I am planning to use high density divinycell for transom, stringers and bulkheads. I am planning on bonding the pieces in place, then bagging and infusing each piece. Although I am new to the whole bagging and infusing process, I have recruited assistance from people that are proficient in the process. I am very excited to get started installing parts. Feel free to throw your 2 cents worth in.

Thanks,

Tommy

jetcruzr
06-26-2010, 07:19 PM
I sandblasted the transom skin today. Divinycell coring should be delivered later this week, then bagging and infusing soon. This should be interesting!

Offshore Ginger
06-26-2010, 08:37 PM
Tommy , thanks for posting here on SOS and just curious who might be helping you on this project and might i mention l@@king g@@d? Tommy just curious .:sifone:

Ratickle
06-27-2010, 10:06 AM
I sandblasted the transom skin today. Divinycell coring should be delivered later this week, then bagging and infusing soon. This should be interesting!

Did you get any info on drive height? At this point, it is the time to figure it out, even if it delays you a couple weeks.

I know mine is deep, but Konrads down the road would fix that I think.....:sifone:

jetcruzr
06-27-2010, 10:33 AM
Did you get any info on drive height? At this point, it is the time to figure it out, even if it delays you a couple weeks.

I know mine is deep, but Konrads down the road would fix that I think.....:sifone:

I need to confirm some numbers as far as drive height. Do you know the height of yours, out of curiosity? My drives and engines are pickled and strapped to a pallet way the hell up on the top shelf in a storage building. I need to pull them off the shelf and measure the prop shaft centerline in relation to the gimbal housing bolt pattern in order to determine where mine actually are...or were. How fast does your boat run, Paul? My buddy's 82 will run 79 on GPS with appx 525hp per side. (I've seen it with my own eyes..haha). I thought this was pretty darn good for a heavy old barge. I think his drives may be slightly higher than mine though. His props will slip slightly, then engage during acceleration. As I am typing this my curiosity is getting the best of me. I think I will run over to the shop on pull the drives off the shelf and check mine. Stay tuned..........

Ratickle
06-27-2010, 11:16 AM
I need to confirm some numbers as far as drive height. Do you know the height of yours, out of curiosity? My drives and engines are pickled and strapped to a pallet way the hell up on the top shelf in a storage building. I need to pull them off the shelf and measure the prop shaft centerline in relation to the gimbal housing bolt pattern in order to determine where mine actually are...or were. How fast does your boat run, Paul? My buddy's 82 will run 79 on GPS with appx 525hp per side. (I've seen it with my own eyes..haha). I thought this was pretty darn good for a heavy old barge. I think his drives may be slightly higher than mine though. His props will slip slightly, then engage during acceleration. As I am typing this my curiosity is getting the best of me. I think I will run over to the shop on pull the drives off the shelf and check mine. Stay tuned..........

79 on GPS from a 39 Scorpion with TRS's??????

Damn that's good.

My 83 runs mid 70's with 630HP a side.

Any chance his HP is measured at the propshaft instead of the crankshaft?

Offshore Ginger
06-27-2010, 01:36 PM

Damn that's good.

Any chance his HP is measured at the propshaft instead of the crankshaft?Paul , just curious do you own that old 39 that was black and had a German flag on it that was in Holland for so many years and Tommy great hearing from you and maybe we can hook up one of these days . Artie

MOBILEMERCMAN
06-27-2010, 01:38 PM
I would take the time to measure your buddies drive height.

Offshore Ginger
06-27-2010, 02:03 PM
I would take the time to measure your buddies drive height.:cheers2: You need to get your boat done sometime in the future or i will be coming to Austin to finish the ole girl up ! :rofl:

Ratickle
06-27-2010, 02:04 PM
Paul , just curious do you own that old 39 that was black and had a German flag on it that was in Holland for so many years and Tommy great hearing from you and maybe we can hook up one of these days . Artie

Nope, I bought mine from the Boston area and had it delivered.

MOBILEMERCMAN
06-27-2010, 02:49 PM
:cheers2: You need to get your boat done sometime in the future or i will be coming to Austin to finish the ole girl up ! :rofl:

Come on down.

old377guy
06-27-2010, 07:25 PM
79 MPH seems almost unbelievable; whatever he did - do the same

jetcruzr
06-27-2010, 07:57 PM

Damn that's good.

Any chance his HP is measured at the propshaft instead of the crankshaft?

Yes Paul, it is a 1982 39' Scorpion with TRS's just like yours and mine. I would not have believed it, had I not been on the boat and seen it for myself. It is very possible that I underestimated his HP. He calls them 525's, but I think he is referring to CID and not HP. They sound way too wicked to be only 525 HP, so I may have been incorrect in my posting of the HP. The mid to hi 70mph is accurate though. I was actually on my way out to his boat to measure his drives today, but the weather went to hell. Based on how his boat performs, I would think that wherever his drives are is where I should put mine if they are not there already. Agreed?

Ratickle
06-27-2010, 08:02 PM
Someday you'll be switching drives if you keep the boat. The Konrads are 1.6 inches shorter I believe, and you can also get a shorter Konrad yet with spacers I think. It is a strong, easy, semi-reasonable upgrade.

I'll try to get the dimension on mine to compare with his. I'd like to know the difference, if any. Find out his true HP if you can. Most Scorpion/Excalibur bottoms with TRS's seem to hit a wall in the mid 70's no matter what kind of power you throw at them.

jetcruzr
06-27-2010, 08:08 PM
Paul and Jim - are you guys coming to the St Claire race? I will try to get my buddy to bring his Scorpion up there. I am sure he would take you guys for a ride in it and you can see it run for yourself. As I said, I can't believe how well the old barge runs myself. My POS barely runs 50mph with the little 330's in it...boring. I am not even sure my boat is fully planing, it is so slow...haha.

Ratickle
06-27-2010, 08:29 PM
Paul and Jim - are you guys coming to the St Claire race? I will try to get my buddy to bring his Scorpion up there. I am sure he would take you guys for a ride in it and you can see it run for yourself. As I said, I can't believe how well the old barge runs myself. My POS barely runs 50mph with the little 330's in it...boring. I am not even sure my boat is fully planing, it is so slow...haha.

We'll both be there.

Offshore Ginger
06-27-2010, 10:30 PM
Come on down.:iagree:tell me when . ha ha ha ha

Offshore Ginger
06-28-2010, 03:05 PM
Boy i sure would like to be there also but my father is having surgery and i will be turning 58 on the 26 th and my wife has plans .:sifone:

MOBILEMERCMAN
06-28-2010, 05:49 PM
They sound way too wicked to be only 525 HP, so I may have been incorrect in my posting of the HP. The mid to hi 70mph is accurate though. Based on how his boat performs, I would think that wherever his drives are is where I should put mine if they are not there already. Agreed?

I would guess 650 to 675 hp's is more accurate.. I would measure to see what he has got for height. Shame is with TRS you can not really take advantage of modern propellers. I suggest you run a cleaver type and not a round ear for the drives sake..

I found from a job years ago a 34 Sutphen with 675's and TRS with 27 Mirages topped at 92 mph.. Never saw a boat go faster with TRS.. Even Fever a 27 r 8 Manta with 675 screaming small blocks couldn't top that..

Mine are in the basement now.. I plan to raise them to the rub rail which is 3" higher.. One day a few years from now I will add Konrads. So round numbers the 4.5 from 9 will leave me around 4.5 inches down on prop shaft height. Than add the 1" shorty I think they offer and I am right where I want to be.

old377guy
06-28-2010, 05:59 PM
I would guess 650 to 675 hp's is more accurate.. I would measure to see what he has got for height. Shame is with TRS you can not really take advantage of modern propellers. I suggest you run a cleaver type and not a round ear for the drives sake..

I found from a job years ago a 34 Sutphen with 675's and TRS with 27 Mirages topped at 92 mph.. Never saw a boat go faster with TRS.. Even Fever a 27 r 8 Manta with 675 screaming small blocks couldn't top that..

Mine are in the basement now.. I plan to raise them to the rub rail which is 3" higher.. One day a few years from now I will add Konrads. So round numbers the 4.5 from 9 will leave me around 4.5 inches down on prop shaft height. Than add the 1" shorty I think they offer and I am right where I want to be.

Pretty accurate evaluation - been around boats for long? :sifone:

Ratickle
06-28-2010, 08:53 PM
Boy i sure would like to be there also but my father is having surgery and i will be turning 58 on the 26 th and my wife has plans .:sifone:

Hope the best for your father.

But, if it works out, have your wife's plans include a nice dinner in St Clair.....:sifone:

Ratickle
06-28-2010, 08:56 PM

I believe the base Konrad is 1.6" shorter than the TRS from when I checked.

Can you sketch the way you meaure the centerline from the bottom so we all do it exactly the same way? I am really curious on this one.

Ratickle
06-28-2010, 08:57 PM

Oregon guys are really smart......:sifone::sifone:

Been out running much yet????

old377guy
06-28-2010, 11:19 PM
Oregon guys are really smart......:sifone::sifone:

Been out running much yet????

not yet Paul, got a yardwork project sucking up all my free time for another week or so

PatriYacht
06-29-2010, 07:29 AM
Hi Jetcruzr,

I stopped by your shop on Sunday just to see what was going on. I'm sure I was in the right spot becaues there was a Scorpion deck laying on the ground in front of one of the buildings. Don't see those everywhere. :ack2: Unfortunately no one was there. If you're ever in my nieghborhood and you see us out, feel free to stop by.

jetcruzr
06-29-2010, 08:32 AM
Hi Jetcruzr,

I stopped by your shop on Sunday just to see what was going on. I'm sure I was in the right spot becaues there was a Scorpion deck laying on the ground in front of one of the buildings. Don't see those everywhere. :ack2: Unfortunately no one was there. If you're ever in my nieghborhood and you see us out, feel free to stop by.

Hey Ian,

Sorry I missed you. I am usually at the boat shop during the week after work, and on Saturdays. I usually head to the lake on Sundays to relax. I will definately stop in and say hello if I see you outside. Seriously, if you need a hand with anything to get your boat going, I am more than happy to help, so don't hesitate to ask.

Tommy

MOBILEMERCMAN
06-29-2010, 10:01 AM

Feels like it..Working on them since the early 80's.

I believe the base Konrad is 1.6" shorter than the TRS from when I checked.

Can you sketch the way you meaure the centerline from the bottom so we all do it exactly the same way? I am really curious on this one.

I am just rounding numbers in general. 1.5 or 1.6 inches doesn't matter much in this case. I do recall shorties listed..

Prop heights are easy to measure.. Parallel prop shaft to bottom. Use a straight edge to measure height in line with gearcase. In order to get an accurate number you should first make a mark on leading edge of case so the straight edge can be on a line exactly in line and parallel. The mark can be measured from the cavitation plate to the dimple of the prop shaft in the rear. Mark the same distance on the forward edge.

Paul, On mine I will only raise it to the rub rail.. I am not going to cut the rail and get all silly. I do not want to modify hatches either. Its just an old pleasure boat..

Ratickle
06-29-2010, 11:27 AM
Hey Ian,

Sorry I missed you. I am usually at the boat shop during the week after work, and on Saturdays. I usually head to the lake on Sundays to relax. I will definately stop in and say hello if I see you outside. Seriously, if you need a hand with anything to get your boat going, I am more than happy to help, so don't hesitate to ask.

Tommy

I can vouch for Ian and Donna. Good people Tom..

I'm assuming I'll see them both in St Clair and maybe Harrison??????

Offshore Ginger
06-29-2010, 05:52 PM
Tommy , sure was great putting a voice to the name along with talking with you today......Artie