PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Helm Options

Underdog88
05-08-2010, 08:48 PM
I just gatta ask...
I want to add a second helm. It's not in the budget at this time to open the IMCO Catalog and do it right. I've looked it over... Nice stuff and I have all their steering and shortys already. If it can't be done safely I won't do it.

That said, I've looked at some fish boat fly bridge setups, bought a used hyd helm cheap and have to ask why I couldn't install two check valves on T fittings on my IMCO pump and the second helm only turns the main helm pump. Why won't this work? I want my daughter to drive from the left side, me throttle from the right.

2nd wheel removed when pleasure boating and nothing changed. What am I missing please?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Mark

TMS1155
05-08-2010, 09:17 PM
not sure if Imco works the same way but teleflex uses a third hose between the two helms. Its called a bypass and lets you steer from either helm without the other one turning. I have the diagram for the teleflex system someplace. If it will help pm me your email and Ill find it and send it to you

DAREDEVIL
05-08-2010, 09:21 PM
just stick a second helm on the other side and run valves after the split !!!

Its actually real simple..:rolleyes::eek:

Underdog88
05-08-2010, 10:27 PM
Thanks guys.
Just a Bypass valve(gate)? Thought about that too. Wondering about a check valve doing the same. Whichever is pumping/turning.

Main ? is can the little pump turn the big pump?

The 3rd line TMS mentioned may act as the check valves?
Thanks again
TMS underdogracing at yahoo

TMS1155
05-09-2010, 01:15 AM
sent e-mail , blow it up and you can see how it's hooked up

DAREDEVIL
05-09-2010, 01:16 AM
sent e-mail , blow it up and you can see how it's hooked up

Tommy, if he blows it up ..he can't see chit anymore...the computer will be all on fire and his house will burn down.:rolleyes:

TMS1155
05-09-2010, 01:26 AM
you need to put that glass of whatever you are drinking and go to bed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cheers2:

Ratickle
05-09-2010, 09:01 AM
Tommy, if he blows it up ..he can't see chit anymore...the computer will be all on fire and his house will burn down.:rolleyes:

you need to put that glass of whatever you are drinking and go to bed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cheers2:

Now that's funny......

:sifone:

Underdog88
05-09-2010, 10:30 AM
Thanks for the diagram TMS.
Different size and brand pumps/helms will still work together you think? Just moving fluid... the smaller helm will just have to turn more?