PDA

View Full Version : Home Theater Reciever

Tinkerer
05-07-2010, 11:09 PM
Bought the AVATAR Blu ray two day after it came out.
I have a NEW SONY laptop that plays them and a new Sony LCD and blu ray player on the 4 season porch. WORKS GREAT

Took the disc downstairs to the 57 inch 1080I Toshiba and Denon surround 5.1
I couldn't get the sound to work. Guess what the AVATAR disc only has Dolby Digital in the other languages. NOT english. English is in DTS. I have an older Denon that does not do DTS.

What do you reccomend these days to replace it. Looking for about 105 Watts and 5.1 is all that I need.

rchevelle71
05-07-2010, 11:12 PM
Yamaha

jhenrie
05-08-2010, 07:30 AM
Yamaha , I'm not impressed. I bought my last one a year ago. Effects suck , too hard to program. Sound blows. Believe me I'm being kind. I'm back to sony now and happy

fund razor
05-08-2010, 08:39 AM
Crutchfield has a pretty nice Denon on sale for $200.00 off.

(It's still like $650...) But it is a nice unit and hits that 105 watt mark you were looking for.
You may not be able to find a 5.1 channel. The new ones may be 7.1.

http://signature.crutchfield.com/s_033AV2310C/Denon-AVR-2310CI.html?offerId=4

fund razor
05-08-2010, 08:40 AM
They have some Sony on sale too, if you want to match your components for remote purposes.

Tinkerer
05-08-2010, 08:51 AM
Fund - the new reciever will get hooked up to the Toshiba ( and the Sony blu ray )
I have always been partial to Denon but was surprised at the weight of the new ones.
My old one weighs a ton. The new one weights like 24 lbs. I may have to buy some speakers and put the old one out in the barn.
I have been spoiled on the Dolby Digital sound.

fund razor
05-08-2010, 09:01 AM
I know what you mean. I have an old Marantz, a 1980s Proton, and a 1990s Jeff Rowland Design Group that each weigh a hundred pounds if they weigh 5.

Chip amps... what cha gonna do?

On the other hand, 24 pounds is a monster by today's standard. :)

If your room is set up to be a theater... it's hard to beat the dolby digital.

Tinkerer
05-08-2010, 09:30 AM
The room is just for watching TV. I usually watch about 3 hrs of TV on friday night.
Seriously into SIFI. I also like to rock the house with a movie or two now and then on rainey weekends when I don't feel like working out in the barn. I used to have Macintosh equipment but it was TOO much $ when I wanted to upgrade to Dolby Digital.
Where do you live?

I really don't want to spend the $ right now. But you have to have some fun in life.
My wife just got diagnosed with Allheimers at 62.
All $ issues have to be looked at closely now.
I was going to do a lot of work on the boat ( it needs a new transom ) I was going to raise the X and add boxes and hyd steering.
I will just take it easy this year ( NO full throttle runs ) and replace it myself next winter.
I had to do this on my old glastron.
I am going to do some cosmetic stuff also. repair holes in the dash for stuff that isn't there any more like radar and old holes from old GPS.
decided to keep the boat and just fix it up like new.

Well back to the topic.
I was looking at that Denon.
Looks like I will have to spend a few $.
Steve

Trim'd Up
05-08-2010, 05:02 PM
I have always had good luck with Onkyo. The one in the bedroom is at least 15 years old and still works perfect and sounds better than my neighbors new yamaha. Yamaha's and pioneer's are (or at least used to be) notorious for over rating there amps by ALOT. Denon and Onkyo are way above most all of the other brands you can pick up at bestbuy type stores.

Ratickle
05-08-2010, 07:17 PM
I have always had good luck with Onkyo. The one in the bedroom is at least 15 years old and still works perfect and sounds better than my neighbors new yamaha. Yamaha's and pioneer's are (or at least used to be) notorious for over rating there amps by ALOT. Denon and Onkyo are way above most all of the other brands you can pick up at bestbuy type stores.

Onkyo's are always rated very high.

WeaponX
05-13-2010, 12:17 AM
I have around 3000 watts of Carver preamp / amp dolby 5.1 and custom built cabinets.

I like the shake.:sifone:

phragle
05-13-2010, 01:12 AM
My recomendation......

fund razor
05-13-2010, 07:00 AM
The room is just for watching TV. I usually watch about 3 hrs of TV on friday night.
Seriously into SIFI. I also like to rock the house with a movie or two now and then on rainey weekends when I don't feel like working out in the barn. I used to have Macintosh equipment but it was TOO much $ when I wanted to upgrade to Dolby Digital.
Where do you live?

I really don't want to spend the $ right now. But you have to have some fun in life.
My wife just got diagnosed with Allheimers at 62.
All $ issues have to be looked at closely now.
I was going to do a lot of work on the boat ( it needs a new transom ) I was going to raise the X and add boxes and hyd steering.
I will just take it easy this year ( NO full throttle runs ) and replace it myself next winter.
I had to do this on my old glastron.
I am going to do some cosmetic stuff also. repair holes in the dash for stuff that isn't there any more like radar and old holes from old GPS.
decided to keep the boat and just fix it up like new.

Well back to the topic.
I was looking at that Denon.
Looks like I will have to spend a few $.
Steve

I missed this post.

First of all... I am very sorry about your wife. At 62, I would see about an alternate diagnosis. That is very early onset for alzheimers. My Mom died of frontal lobe dementia in October. She was 72. They thought she had alzheimers at first. Turns out that rather than an early alzheimers case, she was a late Pick's disease. (Frontal lobe)
The good news, if there is any... is that early detection and Aricept can do wonders.
Anyway...understand that you have to have some fun. Otherwise what is it all for, what is it all about?

I am in Ohio.

Boss252
05-13-2010, 09:19 AM
Here is a nice Harman Kardon AVR 8000 for 499.00 used.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/vbclassified.php?do=ad&id=13521

RLJ676
05-22-2010, 02:22 PM
I'm a huge fan of NAD, I have a base NAD and a little newer Marantz, the NAD sounds way nicer to me.

BillR
05-22-2010, 06:32 PM
Yamaha , I'm not impressed. I bought my last one a year ago. Effects suck , too hard to program. Sound blows. Believe me I'm being kind. I'm back to sony now and happy

Wow, this is the first time I've heard that! Did you listen to the Yamaha? The Yamaha amps are leaps and bounds better than anything Sony has offered, that is one reason Yam is the #1 av receiver line in the county.
They are the only av receiver that has effects from actual real venues - but 99.9 % most folks use Dolby.

As far as sound quality (forget the whistles and bells)
#1 Arcam
#2 NAD
#3 Yamaha
#4 any other aisian receiver line.

fund razor
05-24-2010, 09:37 AM
I'm a huge fan of NAD, I have a base NAD and a little newer Marantz, the NAD sounds way nicer to me.

Old Marantz was incredible. New Marantz is weak. (IMO)

fund razor
05-24-2010, 09:39 AM
Wow, this is the first time I've heard that! Did you listen to the Yamaha? The Yamaha amps are leaps and bounds better than anything Sony has offered, that is one reason Yam is the #1 av receiver line in the county.
They are the only av receiver that has effects from actual real venues - but 99.9 % most folks use Dolby.

As far as sound quality (forget the whistles and bells)
#1 Arcam
#2 NAD
#3 Yamaha
#4 any other aisian receiver line.

IIRC..there were some lower dollar Yamahas on the market for a while that were pretty bad. It reminded me of the K car era for chysler. :o
Not all model numbers were created equal.

BillR
05-24-2010, 11:46 AM
IIRC..there were some lower dollar Yamahas on the market for a while that were pretty bad. It reminded me of the K car era for chysler. :o
Not all model numbers were created equal.

Correct; The low end of the series is made by Toshiba (but we don't sell those) and the better ones are Yamaha made.

New Marantz is the same as Denon. Same chassis, same factory; only difference is menu and faceplate.