PDA

View Full Version : OSS Update

Ryan Beckley
05-06-2010, 08:49 PM
This is to let everyone know about the latest from Biloxi and Lake Cumberland. Rusty David just got back from a flight over the Gulf. As I said in an e-mail Monday, the Mississippi Gulf Coast is still in good shape, the "slick" that is referred to by the officials that have been flying over it, is more of a film or sheen. Rusty reports that it is now at least 30 miles off the Mississippi coast. The winds of the last couple days have been favorable and sending it south. Also, they have restarted the burning now that the seas have calmed. Crews are in the process of putting a "cap" over the breach to collect the oil and slow the escape. Whereas, the area south of Louisiana does have more of a danger of oil getting on the outer islands, the sound is in good shape at this time. The Coast Guard and all enforcement agencies report they are planning on supporting the races with personnel and assets. All last minute preparations are being completed and the Smokin' Red Carpet is being taken out of storage and ready to roll out. All we need is you.

The recent rains in Kentucky have raised the level of Lake Cumberland about 8 feet in about 36 hours. This has caused some debris to wash in to the lake. However, this is a good thing. By having the heavy rains now, it has washed all the loose limbs, etc into the water with enough time for it all to flow down river or rest the banks as the CORPS starts to slowly lower the level. They have to be careful not to add to the flooding downstream. This is the same thing that the TVA did when we raced in Pickwick. They let the level rise only to let it out the week before the race in an effort to clear the river. The Local Race Committee had a meeting this AM and the CORPS assured them that they will work to have any and all debris out of the area of the course. If anything remains as we get closer to race weekend, they will send out personnel and equipment to make sure the area around the course is clear and safe. All plans are going forward for a great weekend. In addition to the races they are planning on a parade of boats and a concert Friday featuring Devon Allman (Greg's son) and his band Honeytribe.

MOBILEMERCMAN
05-07-2010, 11:42 AM
I will keep praying.

DAREDEVIL
05-11-2010, 02:02 PM
Any news on this....i watched the news today and the way it looks it could be a problem ?!

Anything ...maybe Ryan ??? :confused:

Ryan Beckley
05-11-2010, 02:19 PM
I spoke to one of our partners in BILOXI, yesterday, the is NO OIL in the Sound. All the events are on as planned.