PDA

View Full Version : Bravo XY, go thru or keep going?

Turbojack
11-25-2008, 11:00 PM
My Bravo XY outdrive now has 335 hrs on it. Do I have the drive gone thru or just change the lube and keep going?

I change the drive oil aprox. every 25 hrs or less. I do not run hard except every once and a while. I take off easy most of the times. There is very little fillings if any on the magnets of the drain plugs every time the oil is changed. I pulled the top cap and looked at the gears, from what I can see they look great.

I think I am going to have the drive gone thru and then I remember reading about all of the drives that have been gone thru and torn up shortly after they have been rebuilt.

If I have it gone thru who does the best in the Houston / Austin area?

Griff
11-26-2008, 01:51 AM
Whats an XY??????? Bravo's come in standard, X, XZ and XR.

Trim'd Up
11-26-2008, 09:37 AM
It must be somewhere between an XR and XZ. :D

Turbojack
11-26-2008, 02:24 PM
Whats an XY??????? Bravo's come in standard, X, XZ and XR.

It is a XZ.

So do it keep going or go thru it?

Trim'd Up
11-26-2008, 06:48 PM
How much power? How heavy of a boat? It is definately cheaper to freshen them up, than it is to fix what you F up when they go. I have been down that road. If they are rebuilt correctly they should be at least as good as original, if not better.

Turbojack
11-26-2008, 11:47 PM
How much power? How heavy of a boat? It is definately cheaper to freshen them up, than it is to fix what you F up when they go. I have been down that road. If they are rebuilt correctly they should be at least as good as original, if not better.

Approx. 900 hp, Only use that amount of HP maybe 2 times a year. Weight is aprox. 6000 lbs.

I think you said the majic words, "rebuilt correctly" That is what I am concerned about.

Mr Gadgets
11-28-2008, 01:30 AM
Turbo,
With that kind of power and time on the drive, it wouldnt hurt to have it looked at. If the preload on upper pinion is loose it will stretch the upper case and cause the pinion to not stay were it is suppose to be.. The fuzz you see on the magnet is probably coming from the thrust washer that sets the amount of preload with the yoke pinion nut. They tend to spin and create metal dust.
The lower magnet will pick up this fuzz also. If you see flakes or chunks on either magnet, it is the lower gears starting to come apart.
So it is your call. With that kind of power and hours, I would open it up and make sure all the bearings and preloads are properly set, other wise it will come apart, one of the next times you apply that power..

Hope this helps.
Dick

Griff
11-28-2008, 01:41 PM
With that much HP, I would definately have it gone through.