PDA

View Full Version : BENNIHANA Cig???

POWERPLAY33
05-04-2010, 12:02 AM
Any progress in the resto? any pics? One of my favorites!

Top Banana
05-28-2010, 05:22 PM
Any progress in the resto? any pics? One of my favorites!

You know, I think with the death of John Crouse recently, I started taking stock of all the projects that I plan to complete.....and realize there just ain't enough time or money.

So, I am thinking of putting the Benihana up for sale. Will this just be another 35 foot Cigarette race boat on the market??

Well, I have a letter of authenticity, from Michael Aronow that will go with it that says.....This is the last offshore race boat that Don Aronow ever built for himself and registered with the APBA under his favorite racing number 4.

The boat was not finished in time for the start of the season and Don was testing another boat and was injured and decided against coming out of retirement.

The boat sold immediately to Hal Sahlman who raced it as Spirit and he sold it at the end of the season to Rocky Aoki who raced it as Benihana.

The boat won the Bahamas 500 twice, the very last Miami to Nassau race, the Bushmills twice, The Stroh's race, the Hurricane Classic, and the Marina del Rey race while setting five new world speed records......it was a very special boat built for a very special guy.

Anyone interested PM me.....Awlgrip paint already purchased and would go with it....many original parts including windshield, trailer, Kiekhaefer tabs, fuel fills, gauges etc etc. Engines and drives can either go with it, or repower it with somethng brand new like Ilmors...your choice.

Guaranteed to be the center of attention at any poker run or race gathering you would attend.

lucky strike
05-28-2010, 11:25 PM
What a great piece of offshore history. I don't think it gets any better than that!

POWERPLAY33
05-29-2010, 02:27 AM
Charlie, I am truely sorry to hear this. I would absolutly love to have this boat! I am a big fan of the real race boats! Donate it to me and I'll repower and restore her to original...

Top Banana
05-29-2010, 06:05 PM
Charlie, I am truely sorry to hear this. I would absolutly love to have this boat! I am a big fan of the real race boats! Donate it to me and I'll repower and restore her to original...

Better idea....you donate the funds for the restoration and we will put your name on a plaque.

DAREDEVIL
05-29-2010, 06:45 PM
Better idea....you donate the funds for the restoration and we will put your name on a plaque.

OUCH:willy_nilly:

Top Banana
05-29-2010, 08:25 PM
OUCH:willy_nilly:

Come on, we can fit two plaques on there......:)

DAREDEVIL
05-29-2010, 08:33 PM
Come on, we can fit two plaques on there......:)

HAHAHAHAHA:sifone::rolleyes:

POWERPLAY33
05-29-2010, 10:14 PM
I couldn't even afford the shipping for the plaque :(

HH565L
06-28-2010, 07:49 AM
Hey Charlie, Spiro here, AKA ggoss from Fishnet Australia.

Looks like you borrowed a line from my signature there :)

Please send Benihana down under. Me and 'The Russian', your friend in Mallacoota will bring her back to he former glory. If anything it'll give you a reason to visit us one day.

BTW, in case you are not already aware there's a couple of 41 Apache's on Ebay at the moment. The first one appears to have some real history.

Little Caesars Pizza / Razz - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1988-2010-41-Apache-Powerboat-Ex-WORLD-CHAMPION-/290447905398?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Power_Motorboats&hash=item43a00b5276

No Reservations - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1990-Apache-41-No-Reservations-Fresh-water-only-/220626931665?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Power_Motorboats&hash=item335e63cfd1

Hope life is treating you well Charlie.

Regards,
Spiro

Top Banana
06-28-2010, 08:05 PM
Hey Charlie, Spiro here, AKA ggoss from Fishnet Australia.

Looks like you borrowed a line from my signature there :)

Please send Benihana down under. Me and 'The Russian', your friend in Mallacoota will bring her back to he former glory. If anything it'll give you a reason to visit us one day.

BTW, in case you are not already aware there's a couple of 41 Apache's on Ebay at the moment. The first one appears to have some real history.

Little Caesars Pizza / Razz - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1988-2010-41-Apache-Powerboat-Ex-WORLD-CHAMPION-/290447905398?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Power_Motorboats&hash=item43a00b5276

No Reservations - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1990-Apache-41-No-Reservations-Fresh-water-only-/220626931665?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Power_Motorboats&hash=item335e63cfd1

Hope life is treating you well Charlie.

Regards,
Spiro

Spiro....loved the signature so much couldn't help myself. Thanks for the tip on the Apaches but these guys are all over this early and already know everything and more re these boats.

Say hello to my buddy down there and tell him it is time for him to move up to a bigger boat for sure.