PDA

View Full Version : Trailering my 38KV on a Myco I-95, I-10 to Texas

JETJOCK
04-27-2010, 05:51 PM
Gonna tow my 38' KV Scarab on a 99' Myco from Florida to Texas on I-10.

I am pulling her with my Ford F-250 (Gas) and it's gonna be a long trip for me, any suggestions on good gas stops long the way (every 200 miles or so)

Any good websites to look at for help?

Thanks!

Randy

Davidmnc
04-27-2010, 07:20 PM
WWW.redtube.com

DAREDEVIL
04-27-2010, 07:23 PM
One tip, drive slow..I -10 is like a farm road ..lol:sifone:

JETJOCK
04-27-2010, 11:44 PM
One tip, drive slow..I -10 is like a farm road ..lol:sifone:

I'll take all the tips.....anyway I get em'

DAREDEVIL
04-27-2010, 11:50 PM
I'll take all the tips.....anyway I get em'

Safe trip !!!!:cheers2:

Buoy
04-28-2010, 01:03 AM
GPS it all while on the way.
Cheap investment if you don't have one already.
Bought a Garmin 265w (I think) the night before I made the move to AZ. Great investment. Find's you fuel, lodging, or food by menu (steak, seafood, BBQ, Chinese, etc) anyplace you're going.
I dropped about $270 for it with the extra charger kit, case, and two dash mounts. I think unit alone was $220 a year ago when I bought it.
Make sure you get the one that tells you street names, instead of the cheaper one that only says "turn in 500 feet" there can be four streets in 500 feet, and makes it confusing.

Oh, and also wishes for a safe uneventful trip!

MOBILEMERCMAN
04-28-2010, 09:31 AM
I like to run the fuel low. In Florida there are fuel stations nearly every exit. In Alabama they are spaced a little further apart. Sounds like all interstate. The roads are not bad. In Louisiana do not speed. Take the I12 cross over. If you can avoid Baton Rouge and Houston rush hours. Have a safe trip.

htrdlncn
04-28-2010, 12:51 PM
Randy, just take er slow and youll be golden and like Jim said time your drive out so you miss rush hours in major cities. . In past 15 years I have driven back and forth from Miami-Austin about 30 times, many of those towing either race car,equipment trailer or my boat
and I can tell you that even if it takes a couple extra hours driving slow and with no hurry makes you get there a hell of a lot more relaxed.
See way too many people towing at breakneck speeds only to need a day to recover because they are so on edge from the whole trip.

Chris
04-28-2010, 01:08 PM
Truck stops all have a trucker's version of the Rand McNally highway atlas. It has all the stops and such right in it.

THEJOKER
04-28-2010, 02:10 PM
One tip, drive slow..I -10 is like a farm road ..lol:sifone: Believe it or not DD is right:willy_nilly:. I-10 is a rough ride. You'll see.......

rchevelle71
04-28-2010, 02:14 PM
Believe it or not DD is right:willy_nilly:.

:eek::eek::confused::eek::eek:

old377guy
04-28-2010, 02:39 PM
tools,spares, extra fuel, gloves, rags,etc....

top ven
04-28-2010, 04:13 PM
Wow seems like alto of Boat with not enough Truck, we tow our 02 Top Gun 38 ft on our Myco Trailer with our F 350 Dually Diesel its just enough would not want anything less than that, we tow every Winter NJ to Fla 1,300 miles than back, stopping can be tough !! be careful !

htrdlncn
04-28-2010, 08:18 PM
It is flat road the whole way and so long as speed is kept down he should be fine.
Big difference in trying to slow down from 55 than from 80..

BUIZILLA
04-28-2010, 08:26 PM
F250 gas?

your kidding right?

MOBILEMERCMAN
04-28-2010, 08:28 PM
F250 gas?

your kidding right?

Lets not bust his balls. He has what he has.

Buoy
04-28-2010, 08:41 PM
Lets not bust his balls. He has what he has.

where is that pic of Lucky Strike pulling a Cig back in the day with a caddy??:sifone:

He should be fine with that rig.

JETJOCK
04-28-2010, 11:07 PM
Thanks guys for the "words of wisdom"

I have a F250 Super Duty....and it's gas, I wish I had Diesel--but I don't.

My only fear is finding a gas station "easy in and easy out..." other than that I should be fine.

Trailer has new bearings, brakes, and tires....

I am headed to Seabrook Texas, south side of Houston--I will drive slow and easy.

AGAIN--I appreciate the older heads with the words of wisdom, that is what makes this board so great!

JETJOCK
04-28-2010, 11:11 PM
Pic of the Rig:

Buoy
04-28-2010, 11:32 PM
Your rig is about 14 to 18 foot longer than mine, and I just towed from KY to AZ last year. Yeah, I know, big difference in length.
You'll be fine, if you're getting down around a 1/4 tank and see a truck stop, pull in.
Other than that, you'll be fine. Take it no more than a few tic's over the posted limit, and make sure everytime you stop to do a full vehicle inspection.
Walk around the trailer, check your tires (make sure they aren't heating up, and air pressure is good), check your bow and transom straps, check your hitch. Make sure your bearings are staying full of grease. If there is any elec question, check your lights and elec connection. Check the wheels on the truck, may also want to check the vital fluids.
On the road, just keep your distance and allow plenty of braking room (NOT breaking room:eek:)
Take your time and be safe.

Chris
04-28-2010, 11:41 PM
Two spares, a bottle jack with a base plate and a chain. You never know when you'll need to hold up an axle to limp in for a repair. It's also a good idea to have a spare hub with packed bearings ready to go. It's cheap insurance.

MOBILEMERCMAN
04-28-2010, 11:48 PM
Nice check list Tim. As part of my walk around I touch each hub and tire with my fingers to monitor the temperature every time I stop. I also like to tape down the leading and trailing edges of the tonneau cover with preservation tape. If a snap comes loose it will eat the paint. It wouldn't hurt to do the leading edge of your arch as well. Its easier to peel tape than it is to remove the bugs.

DAREDEVIL
04-28-2010, 11:54 PM
Pic of the Rig:

Just a little tip , which makes things a lot safer..move your trailer hitch UP about 2 inches ,,if u can.
The trailer needs to be level with torsion axles and it helps for a better ride !!!!!!!

Just trying to help.:USA:

htrdlncn
04-28-2010, 11:56 PM
All good advice,,
remember the slower you go the easier it is to stop,less heat build up in the tires, and the less gas you burn as well.
Reason most guys need 10ton behemoth trucks to tow is because they want to be able to tow at 80+mph like they were driving a sports car.
Have a good trip and stay safe, cant wait to see that bad boy!

Buoy
04-29-2010, 12:02 AM
Nice check list Tim. As part of my walk around I touch each hub and tire with my fingers to monitor the temperature every time I stop. I also like to tape down the leading and trailing edges of the tonneau cover with preservation tape. If a snap comes loose it will eat the paint. It wouldn't hurt to do the leading edge of your arch as well. Its easier to peel tape than it is to remove the bugs.

Good call on the tape for the cover. I also did that when I did the trip out here.
I prefer to haul with the cover off, but on a long distance trip, well...
3M makes a really good protective tape that is also easy to remove with no/little residue. In the optics industry it was called "surface saver" tape. Used it on the front/finished side of optical lenses. Sticks really well, but peel off without leaving any gum. http://www.dacvision.com/default.asp?contentID=19
If you want a contact for them send me a PM, I'll put you in touch with the right people. They are located in Garland TX.

DAREDEVIL
04-29-2010, 12:13 AM
Also, trimm the drives down ( plenty of room ) and i hope u got 2 BIG ratchet straps on the back ????

To many people lose theyr boats on the HWY because of that !

top ven
04-29-2010, 06:54 AM
carry a 2.5 gal gas can always helps too

BUIZILLA
04-29-2010, 07:22 AM
V10 OR 5.4?

DAREDEVIL
04-29-2010, 08:46 AM
V10 OR 5.4?

That really should not matter, i pulled a 36 NT cat with my 350 SB before...no problem !!!!!

MOBILEMERCMAN
04-29-2010, 08:54 AM
Fortunately it is basically a flat ride and he is planning to take it easy. He may find himself creeping up the few bridges he will cross in second gear.

JETJOCK
05-03-2010, 10:43 PM
1,000 miles........18+ hours........I made it safetly!

I have a PROFOUND respect for Truck Drivers!

I also was amazed at the number of "Contender Sport Fishing boats" that would BLOW by me at 80 MPH! (55-60 and stayed a live) One boat was later seen in a ditch on I-75.

Getting the rig into a Gas Station SUCKED....I did it 5 times! I would buy a Diesel just for the fact getting fuel would be easier.

I wish I had know about raising my hitch 2"...need to find a way to do that.

I-10 was ok except in MS and LA....the roads SUCKED! BUMP, BUMP, BUMP...I did have some fun times crossing a few bridges but the F-250 did it with "ease" never got below 40 MPH and that is with a 5.7 Liter

THANKS again for all the tips from the "old salts" I think success can be had if you are SAFETY minded person and willing to take it slow, admit you DO NOT know everything-and ask for some help.

Again the F-250 handled this well (IMHO) it actually prevented me from speeding--she would crusie at 60 MPH,,2200 RPM hummin right along.

..and you can't beat a MYCO--

THANKS AGAIN!

PIcs soon!

TIme to hit the RACK.......zzzzzzzzzzzz

MOBILEMERCMAN
05-03-2010, 10:47 PM
Great news.

Thanks for following up with us.

DAREDEVIL
05-03-2010, 10:57 PM
Great news.

Thanks for following up with us.

:iagree:

and yes, raise the hitch to where the trailer is 100% level behind the truck under full load ( boat on it ) !!!:cheers2:

I found out the hard way...leave springs is not a problem because they level them selfs out , but torsion axles don't. :eek:

:seeya:

htrdlncn
05-04-2010, 12:13 AM
Glad you made it safely Randy! Slow and steady is the only way to tow,
you can have a blow out,have someone cut you off,etc and its no big deal.
And your right about the guys speeding while towing,they think because they have a behemoth tow vehicle they can blast down the highway at 80+mph.
I saw a guy here in Austin towing a bunch of new golf carts on a 5th wheel trailer with an F350 blow by me at
least doing 85mph,, maybe 15minutes later the same moron had jacknifed and there were
golf carts spread out all over highway.
Now all you have to do is bring that bad boy to Travis for our next poker run!
:)

JETJOCK
05-04-2010, 07:11 AM
Glad you made it safely Randy! Slow and steady is the only way to tow,
you can have a blow out,have someone cut you off,etc and its no big deal.
And your right about the guys speeding while towing,they think because they have a behemoth tow vehicle they can blast down the highway at 80+mph.
I saw a guy here in Austin towing a bunch of new golf carts on a 5th wheel trailer with an F350 blow by me at
least doing 85mph,, maybe 15minutes later the same moron had jacknifed and there were
golf carts spread out all over highway.
Now all you have to do is bring that bad boy to Travis for our next poker run!
:)

I hope this thread is informative for others "thinking about doing it".

I "might" be talked into towing over to Lake Travis!

rchevelle71
05-04-2010, 07:41 AM
Congrats Randy, enjoy your new home, and the other boat too:sifone:

htrdlncn
05-04-2010, 09:40 AM
I hope this thread is informative for others "thinking about doing it".

I "might" be talked into towing over to Lake Travis!

Next run is the 15th
We will have our pre season mingler/get together night before.
Ill be at the get together,cant make the run because of work.
If you can come on down I can introduce you around and
get you a ride for saturday so you can go on the run without
having to bring the boat up yet.
I sent your info to the KV guy in san anotio,he ever get in touch with you?

Saturday, May 15th will be our annual South Austin Marine run, starting the Friday evening before with a pre-party at Johnny Fins. On Saturday morning, we will assemble at Carlos 'n Charlie's starting around 10am. Around noon, we venture up-river to Briarcliff for lunch or an optional run to Ridge Harbor. On the way back, we'll raft up in Devil's Cove. We end the May run back at Carlos 'n Charlie's starting at 5pm. Along with all the other festivities, we will also hold a raffle on this run.

We look forward to seeing everyone there. Let's support the many charities that benefit the kids across Texas.
Last Updated on 05/03/10

Aqua-Holic
05-04-2010, 04:48 PM
locking hitchpin helps also.....keeps grimlins away at truck stops :(

JETJOCK
05-06-2010, 06:37 AM
Congrats Randy, enjoy your new home, and the other boat too:sifone:

Thanks man!

Again--thank you for looking at the Portofino, she turned out to be a GREAT boat so far!

JETJOCK
05-06-2010, 06:38 AM
Next run is the 15th
We will have our pre season mingler/get together night before.
Ill be at the get together,cant make the run because of work.
If you can come on down I can introduce you around and
get you a ride for saturday so you can go on the run without
having to bring the boat up yet.
I sent your info to the KV guy in san anotio,he ever get in touch with you?

Saturday, May 15th will be our annual South Austin Marine run, starting the Friday evening before with a pre-party at Johnny Fins. On Saturday morning, we will assemble at Carlos 'n Charlie's starting around 10am. Around noon, we venture up-river to Briarcliff for lunch or an optional run to Ridge Harbor. On the way back, we'll raft up in Devil's Cove. We end the May run back at Carlos 'n Charlie's starting at 5pm. Along with all the other festivities, we will also hold a raffle on this run.

We look forward to seeing everyone there. Let's support the many charities that benefit the kids across Texas.
Last Updated on 05/03/10

Not a word from the KV in SAT.

He could be busy?

Buoy
05-06-2010, 10:52 AM
Glad to hear everything went smoothly.
Over the past few days I hauled a boat from Cali to Tucson, and then a huge empty trailer from Tucson to Vegas.
Yeah, it gives you a lot of respect for truck drivers. I was pretty worn out after all that.
And yes, fuel stops can suck, and you really have to be picky about getting in and out of them.

sweet addiction
05-06-2010, 11:25 PM
On the hitch thing. It looks to me that if you added extra leafs on your rear end the back of the truck would not sag so much and the trailer would be level. I did this on a 99' Chevy that I lifted 6" and instead of a 5" block in the back I added leaf springs and went with a 3" block. The truck had a great ride and you could put anything in it or tow anything with it. Wish I had kept that truck. :(

1,000 miles........18+ hours........I made it safetly!

I have a PROFOUND respect for Truck Drivers!

I also was amazed at the number of "Contender Sport Fishing boats" that would BLOW by me at 80 MPH! (55-60 and stayed a live) One boat was later seen in a ditch on I-75.

Getting the rig into a Gas Station SUCKED....I did it 5 times! I would buy a Diesel just for the fact getting fuel would be easier.

I wish I had know about raising my hitch 2"...need to find a way to do that.

I-10 was ok except in MS and LA....the roads SUCKED! BUMP, BUMP, BUMP...I did have some fun times crossing a few bridges but the F-250 did it with "ease" never got below 40 MPH and that is with a 5.7 Liter

THANKS again for all the tips from the "old salts" I think success can be had if you are SAFETY minded person and willing to take it slow, admit you DO NOT know everything-and ask for some help.

Again the F-250 handled this well (IMHO) it actually prevented me from speeding--she would crusie at 60 MPH,,2200 RPM hummin right along.

..and you can't beat a MYCO--

THANKS AGAIN!

PIcs soon!

TIme to hit the RACK.......zzzzzzzzzzzz

DAREDEVIL
05-06-2010, 11:32 PM
Or go airbags...500 bucks and its all done !!!!!!

Quinlan
05-07-2010, 06:57 AM
Bags the way to go

sweet addiction
05-08-2010, 08:19 PM
Oh yea. Bags is a good idea. I would do that now, I have onboard air on my truck.